Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

They didn't hafta be jerks about it, but applaud these citizens who ran them off,

A large group of biz owners in Erie County, NY called the local authorities' bluff when they tried shutting down their get-together ... and sent Johnny Law packing.

This went down Friday night at a CrossFit gym called Athletes Unleashed in Orchard Park -- not too far away from Buffalo -- where upwards of 100 local businessmen and women congregated to discuss how to navigate the state's new COVID-19 guidelines ... which again are limiting hours, customers and access in NY.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/21/erie-county-sheriff-buffalo-chase-off-anti-mask-shut-down-meeting/

I have a flight that departs morning the 21st.  It arrives at final destination on evening 22nd, using the shortest available routing offered by  United.
Today on the 20nd, United sends email saying
[Destination] requires proof that you’ve recently tested negative for COVID-19 before allowing you to enter.You’ll need to provide proof of a recent negative test result at the airport before receiving your boarding pass...if you can’t provide this documentation, you may not be allowed to board the aircraft.
Please ensure your test results meet the requirements below:

Destination: [final]
Test type: Molecular: PCR 
Timing: Test results must be dated no earlier than 3 days before your arrival in [destination]

Based on your itinerary, your test results must be dated no earlier than November 20, 2020.
Ignoring the fact that sentence #1 is factually untrue and contradicts the legislation at destination, consider the improbability of fulling this apparent requirement:
* All popular PCR testing sites only provide window of multiple days to receive results e.g. "3 to 4 days" (CVS, Walgreens) "Approximately 7 days" (Quest)
* Test results received on 19th is too early.  Test results received on 21st is too late (flight will have departed)
* The notice of this time-sensitive information being sent out on the evening of the 20th

Idiocy.

———————

Do you mean December 21 or November 21? Did you make this post the day it was all going down?

If you meant December 21 then I think you still have plenty of options. I say this because I had to go through the same thing going to St. Barth in July, and probably looking at the same situation to go back to St. Barth in 2 weeks (unless travel shuts down). I can give you some suggestions if you still need them.

They didn't hafta be jerks about it, but applaud these citizens who ran them off,
A large group of biz owners in Erie County, NY called the local authorities' bluff when they tried shutting down their get-together ... and sent Johnny Law packing.
This went down Friday night at a CrossFit gym called Athletes Unleashed in Orchard Park -- not too far away from Buffalo -- where upwards of 100 local businessmen and women congregated to discuss how to navigate the state's new COVID-19 guidelines ... which again are limiting hours, customers and access in NY.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/21/erie-county-sheriff-buffalo-chase-off-anti-mask-shut-down-meeting/

Dispatch: oh by the way, after you control this BLM protest where they’ll say “fuck you you pos” to your face 1000 times, we need you to enforce Gov cuomos mask and gathering limits mandate to a bunch of Patriots who might kick you off their property because you’ll be screamed at for trespassing without a warrant. You’ll also be embarrassed nationally because TMZ will obtain the video and post it on the site where the comments will rip you to shreds. I’m gonna have to ask you to work on Sunday too because...

57 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Ignoring the fact that sentence #1 is factually untrue and contradicts the legislation at destination, consider the improbability of fulling this apparent requirement:
* All popular PCR testing sites only provide window of multiple days to receive results e.g. "3 to 4 days" (CVS, Walgreens) "Approximately 7 days" (Quest)
* Test results received on 19th is too early.  Test results received on 21st is too late (flight will have departed)
* The notice of this time-sensitive information being sent out on the evening of the 20th

Idiocy.

Do you mean December 21 or November 21? Did you make this post the day it was all going down?

If you meant December 21 then I think you still have plenty of options. I say this because I had to go through the same thing going to St. Barth in July, and probably looking at the same situation to go back to St. Barth in 2 weeks (unless travel shuts down). I can give you some suggestions if you still need them.

November 21st.  Post was real-time.

I was "debating" it with the United phone agent.  She said "the policy already gives you 72 hours [from landing at destination] generously to take into account all the flight transits, etc".  Apparently she couldnt see the fact that it simply esults in dependency on having test returned precisely on a single day.

Anyway, I printed out the rules from TIMATIC system and that got me boarding pass at the airport.

And on the airside document check for the flight departing the US, the gate agent asked "do you need a negative test for your destination?", I said No and she just took my word for it.

Edited by 52-80

Dispatch: oh by the way, after you control this BLM protest where they’ll say “fuck you you pos” to your face 1000 times, we need you to enforce Gov cuomos mask and gathering limits mandate to a bunch of Patriots who might kick you off their property because you’ll be screamed at for trespassing without a warrant. You’ll also be embarrassed nationally because TMZ will obtain the video and post it on the site where the comments will rip you to shreds. I’m gonna have to ask you to work on Sunday too because...
One difference being the police entered private property.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Wait, so the people that “back the blue” and hate the people that don’t like being harassed by cops...also don’t like being harassed by cops?  What happened to just comply and if your not doing any wrong there won’t be a problem?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wait, so the people that “back the blue” and hate the people that don’t like being harassed by cops...also don’t like being harassed by cops?  What happened to just comply and if your not doing any wrong there won’t be a problem?

So you agree with what they did?

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

do they have reason to believe a law is being broken on the private property?

The tip, plus their eyes as they look at unmasked people?

do they have reason to believe that all the black people they taze and shoot are breaking a law?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

is it a law?

Laws as you are pedantically  using the term are meant to be permanent. Is that what you want?  Permanent mask and crowd laws, passed by the state legislature, to only be removed when the legislature gets around to it?  Is it not a law that the governor has the power to make mandates, or executive orders, whatever the language, under certain circumstances and within certain limits, and the local law enforcement can enforce them?  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Laws as you are pedantically  using the term are meant to be permanent. Is that what you want?  Permanent mask and crowd laws, passed by the state legislature, to only be removed when the legislature gets around to it?  Is it not a law that the governor has the power to make mandates, or executive orders, whatever the language, under certain circumstances and within certain limits, and the local law enforcement can enforce them?  

sure. go ahead.  I guess they could cite them and deal with it later also.  they are assembling on private property and not causing a disturbance unless I'm mistaken.

Its the same thing as what was happening in California when the rapper rented the house in the hills.  unless there was a disturbance or potential crime was being committed then they should stay out of it.

Edited by dcar00

Those people were being assholes, not only because they emoted all over the cops about their perceived rights, but because they held a 100 person meeting indoors during a pandemic. It’s just selfish asshole behavior. They bring up livelihoods. No shit. EVERYONE is dealing with life interruptions/disruptions and even death. EVERYONE. This whole thing fucking sucks for EVERYONE. If they wanted to discuss the new covid guidelines safely, they could have easily had a virtual meeting. But no, they did it in person because they’re selfish assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 7

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

sure. go ahead.  I guess they could cite them and deal with it later also.  they are assembling on private property and not causing a disturbance unless I'm mistaken.

Its the same thing as what was happening in California when the rapper rented the house in the hills.  unless there was a disturbance or potential crime was being committed then they should stay out of it.

Just so I understand your position clearly:

if I call the cops and say I think there’s an illegal (or unauthorized if you prefer) gathering in progress at the house next door, what should the cops do?

if I call the cops and say I think there’s drugs being sold at the house next door, what should the cops do?

stand at the property line and holler in both cases?  If they shouldn’t or cannot take the same actions, why or why not?

if I call the cops and say I think there’s an illegal (or unauthorized if you prefer) gathering in progress at the house next door, what should the cops do?
if I call the cops and say I think there’s drugs being sold at the house next door, what should the cops do?
stand at the property line and holler in both cases?  If they shouldn’t or cannot take the same actions, why or why not?

Depends. Are the people good, hardworking, law abiding citizens (white), or are they a gang of thugs (black)? This is important to know.
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

you tell me.  what should the cops do?  what does the law say they should do?

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They should probably wait until they have actual probable cause instead of your word, Karen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

My HEBs paper towel and TP aisle was completely barren.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd70vp5yzzhikr7t2u3trx6oad3ysopd0uo3275j84m&rid=giphy.gif

Two weeks ago, going through the line with some kid stuff and a 6pk of beer and the middle aged register operator looked at me like I had three eyes and asked me why I wasn’t getting tp.  I responded with “should I be?” She said there is about to be a run on it again, people are flipping out, get it while I can etc.

I wanted to slap her because she probably said to every person checking out and that’s the exact kind of shit that causes the shortages in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Those people were being assholes, not only because they emoted all over the cops about their perceived rights, but because they held a 100 person meeting indoors during a pandemic. It’s just selfish asshole behavior. They bring up livelihoods. No shit. EVERYONE is dealing with life interruptions/disruptions and even death. EVERYONE. This whole thing fucking sucks for EVERYONE. If they wanted to discuss the new covid guidelines safely, they could have easily had a virtual meeting. But no, they did it in person because they’re selfish assholes. 

I saw that when I went to a blm rally here, as they tried to blind cops, and burn the place down. I don't remember you calling them jerks.

I saw that when I went to a blm rally here, as they tried to blind cops, and burn the place down. I don't remember you calling them jerks.

Everything done by black people in the streets following a police killing isn’t a “BLM rally”.

But to your point, the people burning shit are pieces of shit and should be held accountable.

8 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Everything done by black people in the streets following a police killing isn’t a “BLM rally”.

But to your point, the people burning shit are pieces of shit and should be held accountable.

eh, its just a release for centuries of oppression.  they aren't pieces of shit, or so I'm told.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

(Insert heavy sigh)

Anyone who destroys property or blinds cops is also an asshole. Thank you for the both sides moment. It truly takes a village. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

(Insert heavy sigh)

Anyone who destroys property or blinds cops is also an asshole. Thank you for the both sides moment. It truly takes a village. 

actually they are criminals and likely felons but you can certainly add asshole on top of it

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Our favorite Governor is in quarantine, blaming it on his kids. I’m assuming it’s because his kids, that attend private school while the public schools aren’t open, were exposed there.

Or at his maskless French laundry night out with other health officials

I think he’s saying a CHP officer that provides security detail to his kids tested positive. 

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If your election last over two weeks, please call a doctor

It's extra funny because the guy prolonging his election also has to take ED pills.  

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What is this thread even about anymore?

Asking questions.

For more depressing news.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/13/cdc-mental-health-pandemic-394832

One in four young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 say they've considered suicide in the past month because of the pandemic, according to new CDC data that paints a bleak picture of the nation's mental health during the crisis.

The data also flags a surge of anxiety and substance abuse, with more than 40 percent of those surveyed saying they experienced a mental or behavioral health condition connected to the Covid-19 emergency. The CDC study analyzed 5,412 survey respondents between June 24 and 30.

8 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Asking questions.

One in four young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 say they've considered suicide in the past month because of the pandemic, according to new CDC data that paints a bleak picture of the nation's mental health during the crisis.

The data also flags a surge of anxiety and substance abuse, with more than 40 percent of those surveyed saying they experienced a mental or behavioral health condition connected to the Covid-19 emergency. The CDC study analyzed 5,412 survey respondents between June 24 and 30.

Sounds like a lot more people who will need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps after a harsh prison sentence that will teach them the errors of their ways. 

Is that how this works?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Asking questions.

That is terrible

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Asking questions.

Yeah, shit ain't great right now, and there's not really a situation that's going to make it great for a bit. So people can either spend their time wringing their hands about stuff like this, or perhaps do something to help alleviate in the mean time by looking for ways to support people who are suffering both from encouraging gov't policies to help them, and to support the people you know personally instead of hoping for something magical to happen to fix things.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away