Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

El Paso County Colorado (720k), has a larger population than El Paso, TX (680k)

Comparative death numbers of heart disease vs covid, was comparing using same population, numbers from CO Department of Public Health and Environment.

Guess what the "5280" of my user name is in reference, shitwad

Dude. Just own it.

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Comparative death numbers of heart disease vs covid, was comparing using same population, numbers from CO Department of Public Health and Environment.

Funny anectdotal evidence, Colorado Springs is the only place Ive ever seen where a krispy kreme bakery went out of business.  This literally comparing apples to oranges wrt demographics, comorbidities, etc.  

And population density matters.  Thats 720k is spread over 2130 sq miles.  El Paso (Texas) has close to 700k people in 260 sq miles.  

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Dude. Just own it.

Yep. It's a good opportunity for him to learn about fact-checking and misinformation and being aware enough to have a solid bullshit detector, and he's going to waste it by pretending that he totally meant to compare El Paso Colorado to El Paso Texas. Yikes.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If you guys want to continue to discuss fat fucks there is now a thread for that.

Keep that shit off this thread.

This thread is for using stats from the wrong county to support your ideas.

Oh YEAH?  Well, my sources in Briscoe County, Jr., say you're a fat fuck.  

I've been to Maudie's with you, don't try to lie to me.

8 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Funny anectdotal evidence, Colorado Springs is the only place Ive ever seen where a krispy kreme bakery went out of business.  This literally comparing apples to oranges wrt demographics, comorbidities, etc.  

And population density matters.  Thats 720k is spread over 2130 sq miles.  El Paso (Texas) has close to 700k people in 260 sq miles.  

That makes sense, since El Paso, TX is much fatter.

El Paso CO diabeetus death rate 13; El Paso TX diabeetus death rate 60; 

El Paso TX Covid death rate 130; El Paso TX heart disease death rate 130;

Cumulative death count Nov 1: 793; Nov 23: 877; Delta = 84.  (3.6 per day)

1 person in their teens; 5 in their 20s.  80% of the deaths are 70 years and older. 

But who's counting

http://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/county_profiles/US/2015/County_Report_El_Paso_County_Texas.pdf

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh YEAH?  Well, my sources in Briscoe County, Jr., say you're a fat fuck.  

I've been to Maudie's with you, don't try to lie to me.

I specifically said "discuss fat fucks" not "fat fucks stay off this thread". So I'm still ok to post.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, in El Paso, it's an actual shitload.  1,000 dead from COVID, so far.  Right now, 1,000 hospitalized, 300 of them in the ICU.  That is a mass-casualty event, by any benchmark.

And I truly can't reveal the nature of my conversations with people in El Paso -- but I am most certainly not lying to you, and these are not mere "anecdotes."  These are the people actually dealing with this crisis, on a minute-by-minute basis.

There are.  Those numbers of 1000 hospitalized and 300 in the ICU are rolling -- there have been several times that number, collectively, over the past weeks.  There is a hospitalization crisis.  For fuck's sake, it's been covered extensively by national news.  The tents and morgue trucks aren't theater props.

In what fucking world is it "dishonest" to point out an actual, verifiable fact?  Fucking seriously, what the fucking fuck is wrong with you?

I didn't characterize the hospitalization crisis, nor ask for your conversational sources.

I'm talking exclusively about the deaths.  890 people there die annually of heart disease.

It's the end of November and their covid deathcount is 877.  2/3rd of the folks are literally 80 years and older.

(Yes, its sad that it accelerates death in old folks.  Thats why the nonna stays on her property.)

Does that make it a "mass-casualty event"?  Your call

Let's just concede that "mass casualty event" isn't the right word and give him the face-saving minor victory he's looking for so that he doesn't have nightmares about El Paso County Colorado tonight. In the spirit of Thanksgiving.

Edited by BradInATX

I thought “mass casualty event” is what Tea Leoni found out was gonna happen in “Deep Impact” starring NowThis & SouthAustinsMom

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, drt said:

Annually heart disease is the #2 killer of Americans. So apparently you’re ok with Covid slightly edging that out for mortality cause in this country, or at least El Paso. What in the hell are you trying to argue?

That it's bad for your granny, but pretty good for relieving burden from the social security program.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Worth noting (from the article linked) that they only recommend reducing quarantine to seven to ten days if and only if the subject has had a negative test since exposure.

And then there's the whole problem that testing creates COVID cases, or so I'm told that's why we didn't set up any national testing infrastructure 

18 hours ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/10/23/iowa-never-locked-down-its-economy-is-struggling-anyway

As I figured. People chose to close, and they didn't need to be told that had to, just let the info come in, and people will make informed decisions like this. "Legally, music venues in Iowa were allowed to reopen in June, but with social-distancing requirements that significantly reduced their capacity. Even if those rules were lifted, Rossi said, he couldn’t see a path toward reopening safely and profitably anytime soon. This month, he announced that Vaudeville Mews would be closing permanently."

It would have helped if we had a more cohesive strategy at the state and national levels, and if businesses had gotten more support from Congress.   These little businesses didn’t need to permanently close.   

It’s way beyond the scope of this thread, but there were a helluva lot of people, and businesses who were willing to fuck over their fellow Americans. 

We will see this again shortly with all the people who just had to go visit Aunt Edna.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Hey everybody only 20 something people died in that Walmart shooting in El Paso and way more people die from heart disease there every year so it's not a big deal.

In fairness, those types of stupid comparisons go both ways and they are equally stupid in both directions.

There are people who compare COVID to a much bigger chronic health problem like heart disease or cancer and use the relative numbers to argue that COVID isn’t that bad. Or that compare it to flu and say “it’s just the flu” which shows they have no idea how bad influenza actually is on an annual basis.

Then there are people who compare COVID to something like war casualties and they act like COVID is the end of the human race because it has already killed more Americans than WW1, Vietnam, the Korean War, and the American Revolution combined.

It’s like saying you could take all the plastic bottles from the ocean and stretch them to the moon and back. WTF is even the point of saying that? We know there’s a shitload of plastic in the ocean just like we know that COVID has killed a lot of people and lots of people also die in wars and from being fat and old and unhealthy and everything else you can think of. Quit making stupid arbitrary comparisons.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

Hey everybody only 20 something people died in that Walmart shooting in El Paso and way more people die from heart disease there every year so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I only care if that happens at a Walmart in El Paso, Colorado. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

<sarcasm on>  Guys, can't we all agree that anyone who is 90807060, older than me, or fat, or has diabetes, or has asthma, or has heart disease, or has an autoimmune disease, or is generally weak probably did it to themselves and deserves to die if they get Covid?  And, really, how serious can it be if they've only had to use 14 freezer trucks for the bodies?  They should have all stayed home and let everyone else take their chances.  <sarcasm off>

Good God Almighty! WTF!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I didn't characterize the hospitalization crisis, nor ask for your conversational sources.

I'm talking exclusively about the deaths.  890 people there die annually of heart disease.

It's the end of November and their covid deathcount is 877.  2/3rd of the folks are literally 80 years and older.

(Yes, its sad that it accelerates death in old folks.  Thats why the nonna stays on her property.)

Does that make it a "mass-casualty event"?  Your call

Impressive. Only 877 deaths out of 680,000 people in in El Paso.

I live in South Korea. Less than 600 deaths out of 52 million people. This did not have to happen, if most people had followed basic recommendations on how to prevent COVID spread. Unfortunately, we had a sizeable (sorry for the fat talk) group of Americans who didn't, A lot of these deaths, even among the old will be premature deaths. It will be interesting see how many excess deaths there are going to be in 2020 compared to previous years. I am sure everyone would like to have had grandma or grandpa around another year or two. 

21 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

There was a Krispy Kreme in Austin in the mid 80s that only lasted a couple of years.  On Burnet Road near the intersection with Anderson Lane, in the parking lot of Northcross Mall.  It became a Mazda dealership for a while.  Now I'm not sure what's in that space.

Edited by utee94

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He's too fat to pick it back up.

Fat jokes will never not get an automatic posrep from me.

One of my employees got out of the hospital yesterday after a bout with the rona.  He got convalescent plasma and oxygen, but I don't think he received antivirals.  He was in for about a week, otherwise healthy but fat (apropos of the discussion).  About 37-38.  I'm willing to be if he was 10-15 years older the outcome would have sucked.  

But it's the flu.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Fuck you that's why.

38 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Fat jokes will never not get an automatic posrep from me.

One of my employees got out of the hospital yesterday after a bout with the rona.  He got convalescent plasma and oxygen, but I don't think he received antivirals.  He was in for about a week, otherwise healthy but fat (apropos of the discussion).  About 37-38.  I'm willing to be if he was 10-15 years older the outcome would have sucked.  

But it's the flu.

I'm glad

Edited by workswithseed
No, fuck you.

8 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Something isn't working in New Mexico pop. 2.3 mil 

Yesterday they report 35 deaths and 2076 new cases. They have been on a new  lock down since the 16th....(and you can check out their lock down rules...they are pretty strick)

Are the reservations blowing up again?

Or is that simply a Thanksgiving delay?

Texas has had a solid week of over 10,000 new cases per day, and we've got some bad areas.  New Mexico has a tenth the population we do.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Are the reservations blowing up again?

Or is that simply a Thanksgiving delay?

Texas has had a solid week of over 10,000 new cases per day, and we've got some bad areas.  New Mexico has a tenth the population we do.

A 13th of the pop....and I'm not sure about the delay....just reading stats on KOB TV site

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away