Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

There was a study done that showed a rapid increase in influenza like illnesses in November and December. I had posted it earlier in this thread 

We had a little spike of pneumonia in San Diego around that time as well. Community acquired. Correlation is not causation, but it is an interesting and observed correlation shortly before Covid surfaced on the public radar.

12 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

"OMGz I sneezed and had a runny nose back in January" (neither of which are particularly covid-specific) "I totally had it!"

Aaand studies seem to be indicating that the antibodies from having it go away after 6 months or so. People sure they had it and using that as an excuse to not be careful could get it again.  I know there’s not much documentation of people getting it twice yet, but the big spike was only around 6 months ago and how many people that say they had it in January or February could have gotten tested even if they wanted, or ever got tested for antibodies?

22 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

"OMGz I sneezed and had a runny nose back in January" (neither of which are particularly covid-specific) "I totally had it!"

well nobody was wearing masks yet...it had to be everywhere.  Hell.  businesses were even open...

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Aaand studies seem to be indicating that the antibodies from having it go away after 6 months or so. People sure they had it and using that as an excuse to not be careful could get it again.  I know there’s not much documentation of people getting it twice yet, but the big spike was only around 6 months ago and how many people that say they had it in January or February could have gotten tested even if they wanted, or ever got tested for antibodies?

I was at a convenience store in Houston in mid-to-late December buying a Topo and the chick behind the counter had this dry hacking cough that was so terrible she waved her arms to her co-workers, staggered to the back room, clocked out, and went home, all while I was standing right there. I thought to myself, "I'm going to get sick because of this," and sure enough, I did, as did everybody I came into contact with. It lasted in fits and starts for about three weeks. No sneezing or runny nose -- a dry cough and generally feeling like shit, some days worse than others. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there really still a discussion that people had it all over the place in November, December, January with anecdotal accounts of individuals coughing and hacking and giving others Corona with the implied understanding that Corona is like the flu and we needn’t shut down large gatherings and restaurants and bars and basketball? Because if that’s the case, let’s go to Cabo and take our chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://religionnews.com/2020/12/03/california-megachurch-pastor-dies-days-after-it-was-announced-he-was-diagnosed-with-covid-19/

A pastor of a Southern California megachurch died Monday (Nov. 30), days after the church announced he had been diagnosed with COVID-19.

Pastor Bob Bryant died earlier in the day Monday, according to a statement by Water of Life Community Church in San Bernardino County, which had been part of a network of churches that urged Gov. Gavin Newsom to bump houses of worship to an earlier stage of the state’s reopening plan.

Water of Life Community Church, like other California churches, closed during lockdown, but in May Carroll and other pastors supported a “Declaration of Essentiality for Churches,” which called for churches to be seen as essential organizations by the state. 

They sought to reopen on Pentecost weekend, with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines in place, and began having socially distanced services at the end of May. The church, according to the Daily Bulletin, switched to outdoor services to follow state guidelines and at the end of October reopened for socially distanced indoor services. The church continues to post services online.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohsaa-coronavirus-rules-students-can-wrestle-but-cant-shake-hands/34874133

"Among the new rules is student-athletes are permitted to wrestle, but must refrain from handshakes before and after the match.

Wrestlers are also required to wear facial coverings off the mat when not actively competing or warming up."

41 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohsaa-coronavirus-rules-students-can-wrestle-but-cant-shake-hands/34874133

"Among the new rules is student-athletes are permitted to wrestle, but must refrain from handshakes before and after the match.

Wrestlers are also required to wear facial coverings off the mat when not actively competing or warming up."

I've never been so baffled about how to react

On 12/3/2020 at 6:46 AM, Eskimohorn said:

Is there really still a discussion that people had it all over the place in November, December, January with anecdotal accounts of individuals coughing and hacking and giving others Corona with the implied understanding that Corona is like the flu and we needn’t shut down large gatherings and restaurants and bars and basketball? Because if that’s the case, let’s go to Cabo and take our chances.

I have not seen anything that ties those upper respiratory illnesses last winter  with Covid. I thought we had the disease originating in the wet markets of wuhan. No? We would have gone back and retested available samples for evidence of the virus signature. I don't think they are connected formally by testing, but that was a long time ago and I may have missed it. 

Edited by washparkhorn

Are samples regularly kept for people that die of pneumonia? Anyone that died of a respiratory illness in November, December, or January could be suspected COVID cases I would think, but I doubt there are samples that could be used to test that.

12 hours ago, workswithseed said:

90% sure that Jim Jordan, as an Ohio lawmaker, chimed in on this, "Look we'll compromise, they don't shake hands at the start and put on a mask at the conclusion of the match.  But I'll be goddamned if we're not gonna watch thousands of boys from the Cincinnati area wear snug uniforms and go skin-to-skin all over each other and onto the mat, exchanging saliva, tears, sweat, and even blood.  Because this is America goddammit!"  

So, a couple of members of the State Board of Education got sick after an in-person meeting where masks were on and off.  

"I wasn't aware that six feet indoors was different from six feet outdoors," said Little, a Fairview Republican.

Little said she still feels comfortable with in-person meetings. Though she understands the dangers of the coronavirus, she is frustrated that "everyone is so scared of it that they're letting it monopolize their lives."

We are still here.

38 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
49 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:
Graphic is laughable.  Covid is real.  Civid is dangerous.  Posting fake shit doesn't help.

How is it fake?

They omitted the Spanish Flu. In October 1918 (the deadliest month in US history), it killed 195,000 Americans for an average of nearly 6,300 per day.

https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-deaths-october-1918

I'm in no way minimizing our current death toll (both of my elderly parents are positive with dad in the hospital), but it's a historically inaccurate list due to this omission.

Edit: Without modern treatments, we might have seen numbers like that.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They omitted the Spanish Flu. In October 1918 (the deadliest month in US history), it killed 195,000 Americans for an average of nearly 6,300 per day.

I'm in no way minimizing our current death toll (both of my elderly parents are positive with dad in the hospital), but it's a historically inaccurate list due to this omission.

Something tells me this isn't the angle he was going for.

26 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I suspect you wouldn’t have to look back very far to find individual days where the regular flu killed 3000 in one day, based on flu season death estimates and the length of flu season. But nobody bothers with an accurate count. 

it doesn’t help persuade those thinking the virus severity is bullshit from politics or media to give them bullshit. 

So as anecdote on how its going in rural America right now, my sister-in-law's mother who lives in NE Wyoming is just short of being on a vent right now. The first 5 hospitals they tried did not have space for her, and she ended up getting the last bed in Billings, MT. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But that’s not how that graphic reads, is it? It was poorly done. 

No, I took it to mean casualty events that go above and beyond whatever the norm is, whether the deaths take place on the battlefield or in the hospital.

4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

So as anecdote on how its going in rural America right now, my sister-in-law's mother who lives in NE Wyoming is just short of being on a vent right now. The first 5 hospitals they tried did not have space for her, and she ended up getting the last bed in Billings, MT. 

Not well. Here's a national map showing the hot spots: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Here's one of available ICU capacity: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/09/us/covid-hospitals-icu-capacity.html

If these are behind the paywall, I'll be happy to do screenshots.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No, I took it to mean casualty events that go above and beyond whatever the norm is, whether the deaths take place on the battlefield or in the hospital.

But even so, I doubt it’s “most in US history” or however that read. There’s whatb3 military battles represented?  Are they excluding American deaths on foreign soil?

I just think the graphic does a poor job of making the point that it was created to make. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But even so, I doubt it’s “most in US history” or however that read. There’s whatb3 military battles represented?  Are they excluding American deaths on foreign soil?

I just think the graphic does a poor job of making the point that it was created to make. 

I agree. It's a shitty table/chart/list thing. Here's a list of US deaths by battle...some of which occurred over a few days and some in just one day like D-Day, Pearl Harbor, and Antietam. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_with_most_United_States_military_fatalities

Edited by bolverk

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It does. But you'd also have to be either an idiot or dishonestly pushing an agenda not to instantly realize that it's referring to deaths outside of "normal" deaths. Like "you have to wear a helmet to leave your house" levels of stupid.

That said, I don't like it either. Point can be made without lying by omission. And when people put things out like that, it gives anti-mask hoaxer idiots lmore ammo to come in here and post stupid shit. And we had been on a pretty good run avoiding those types coming in and spewing their anti-intellect everywhere.

Edited by BradInATX

Of course we have more people in ICU beds, we have the most ICU beds!  STOP THE BED COUNT! 

My wife's mother tested positive yesterday, her father likely has it as well.  Wife is beside herself with anxiety over this and I'm getting there myself.  Her mother is literally one of maybe 5 people in their church service that wears a mask out of 100.  They live in a part of the country that is oft-cited when they need some rural example of Covid-19 denial/case flareups/extremely minimal hospital capacity to begin with/etc.---NW Kansas.  Her Mother is feeling very ill and she's not a complainer, she's tough as nails when it comes to physical exertion at her age.  Her mother took it very seriously and takes every precaution.  The rest of the town literally mocks her for wearing a mask when she drops off meals on the porches of the elderly and infirm.  

I wish some of y'all would have objectively listened to yourselves the last 10 months.  Your stupidity will echo for generations.  I am so sorry to see stupidity so celebrated in a nation I love.  I'll never understand the end-game for some of you that think this whole thing was no big deal.  You'll tell yourself it was about freedom and economics when you go to bed each night.  Believe me, you are nowhere near as free or as well-off as you think you are.  You're just a great consumer of the illusion.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I wish some of y'all would have objectively listened to yourselves the last 10 months.  Your stupidity will echo for generations.  I am so sorry to see stupidity so celebrated in a nation I love.  I'll never understand the end-game for some of you that think this whole thing was no big deal.  You'll tell yourself it was about freedom and economics when you go to bed each night.  Believe me, you are nowhere near as free or as well-off as you think you are.  You're just a great consumer of the illusion.  

That....is pretty gotdamn stout.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away