Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Of course we have more people in ICU beds, we have the most ICU beds!  STOP THE BED COUNT! 

My wife's mother tested positive yesterday, her father likely has it as well.  Wife is beside herself with anxiety over this and I'm getting there myself.  Her mother is literally one of maybe 5 people in their church service that wears a mask out of 100.  They live in a part of the country that is oft-cited when they need some rural example of Covid-19 denial/case flareups/extremely minimal hospital capacity to begin with/etc.---NW Kansas.  Her Mother is feeling very ill and she's not a complainer, she's tough as nails when it comes to physical exertion at her age.  Her mother took it very seriously and takes every precaution.  The rest of the town literally mocks her for wearing a mask when she drops off meals on the porches of the elderly and infirm.  

I wish some of y'all would have objectively listened to yourselves the last 10 months.  Your stupidity will echo for generations.  I am so sorry to see stupidity so celebrated in a nation I love.  I'll never understand the end-game for some of you that think this whole thing was no big deal.  You'll tell yourself it was about freedom and economics when you go to bed each night.  Believe me, you are nowhere near as free or as well-off as you think you are.  You're just a great consumer of the illusion.  

Sounds like a “see, masks don’t work” example for her idiot neighbors, who then won’t believe the fact that masks work best when it’s the infected people wearing them to limit the expulsion of material into the air, that she got it from someone unmasked around her, and that she likely didn’t spread it to others because of her mask wearing. 

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

So as anecdote on how its going in rural America right now, my sister-in-law's mother who lives in NE Wyoming is just short of being on a vent right now. The first 5 hospitals they tried did not have space for her, and she ended up getting the last bed in Billings, MT. 

I have another cousin, along with her mom, in rural Oklahoma who has it, and this would make yet another relative who picked it up at a church.   Her area hospitals are running pretty full right now, to the point she was told to keep an eye out on other hospitals outside of the area in case her mom needs to go.

Meanwhile, Texas hit over 15,000 new cases yesterday.

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

I agree. It's a shitty table/chart/list thing. Here's a list of US deaths by battle...some of which occurred over a few days and some in just one day like D-Day, Pearl Harbor, and Antietam. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_with_most_United_States_military_fatalities

It's also kinda racist. Not in a "I hate people different from me" type way, but more of a completely forgot about that group of people because I never think about them kind of way. As bad as the Spanish Flu was, I'm pretty sure the epidemics that swept through America after European arrival were much much worse. But I guess those were just Native Americans...

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Looks like Ivermectin is possibly the miracle drug we have been looking for

Thanks for your post, and for the link you subsequently provided. If this is true, then why aren't doctors prescribing this drug? I'm having trouble with the concept that there's a demonstrably safe and readily available drug which cures COVID but doctors all across the country are ignoring this information and allowing thousands of patients a day to unnecessarily die of COVID. If what you say is true, then the situation speaks extremely poorly of medical professionals. Since you are in the medical profession, aren't you perplexed as to why doctors aren't prescribing this "miracle drug?" (Like most of you, I know people who've gotten COVID and none of them received this drug, nor was this drug ever brought up by the people who were/are treating them.)

Thanks for your post, and for the link you subsequently provided. If this is true, then why aren't doctors prescribing this drug? I'm having trouble with the concept that there's a demonstrably safe and readily available drug which cures COVID but doctors all across the country are ignoring this information and allowing thousands of patients a day to unnecessarily die of COVID. If what you say is true, then the situation speaks extremely poorly of medical professionals. Since you are in the medical profession, aren't you perplexed as to why doctors aren't prescribing this "miracle drug?" (Like most of you, I know people who've gotten COVID and none of them received this drug, nor was this drug ever brought up by the people who were/are treating them.)

5112cda71f2b01324e46da948d7fecf4.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bruno Sardine said:

It seems that doctors do what their “regulators” allow them to do, regulators being the AMA, CDC, FDA, whatever. Currently the NIH/CDC/whatever official position is that ivermectin is not proven to be effective for prevention or treatment of covid.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:43 PM, atomheartbevo said:

3,000 folks died of the 'vid today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/11/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

The coronavirus will kill more people in the United States every day for the next two to three months than died in the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, or Pearl Harbor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said Thursday.

spacer.png

Nearly half a million people will have died from this thing over the first year. And yet several of the people who screamed from the mountaintops that it's "just the flu" or made the always-clever "two weeks" joke repeatedly are still here on this thread, acting like anyone gives a fuck what they have to say.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

The politicization of HCQ is one of the most astonishingly retarded things I’ve ever seen.

I would expect someone who reps the generic alternative to HCQ to say something that.  BTW-what time are you bringing Olive Garden to my doctor's office today?  

I don't know much about ivermectim but i'm kind of surprised how little info is out there regarding the availability of the Regeneron drug and if/when we should expect more production.   It's clearly available to certain politicians (and their friends) but how much is out there for the general public?  Seems like we need a shit load of this out there to help keep hospital beds open over the next 2 months while vaccinations ramp up.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Nearly half a million people will have died from this thing over the first year. And yet several of the people who screamed from the mountaintops that it's "just the flu" or made the always-clever "two weeks" joke repeatedly are still here on this thread, acting like anyone gives a fuck what they have to say.

I honestly wonder what those mocking the "doomsdayers" with their clever "Bodies in trees!" retorts think when they see that, after 9 months, we still have hospitals using refrigerator trucks as make-shift morgues. Like, okay, I guess there's not literally bodies in trees. Congratulations?

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I see this thread is going well. I remember being mocked for suggesting that we would have 50,000 deaths before the end of April. Glad to see that some people refuse to learn. 

I predicted the o/u at 240,000 deaths by year end, and the usual suspects loudly called bullshit.

Stupidest.  Fucking.  Timeline.

Here in Minnesota, we’ve now shifted from social distant and wear your mask to stop swapping air, and only the N95 is going to protect you and others, according to Osterholm

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/stop-swapping-air-campaign-launched-slow-covid-19-spread

(Yes I’ll still wear the flimsy blue piece of shit)

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Here in Minnesota, we’ve now shifted from social distant and wear your mask to stop swapping air, and only the N95 is going to protect you and others, according to Osterholm

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/stop-swapping-air-campaign-launched-slow-covid-19-spread

(Yes I’ll still wear the flimsy blue piece of shit)

Its fair to say that ONLY N95 will protect you from the virus itself, but the blue masks (and cloth masks) are effective at stopping the droplets that are exhaled that carry the virus. So do continue to wear the blue mask, but you aren't as well protected as you could be at the grocery store or wherever there's a fuckload of people in an enclosed space

• Like 3

Its fair to say that ONLY N95 will protect you from the virus itself, but the blue masks (and cloth masks) are effective at stopping the droplets that are exhaled that carry the virus. So do continue to wear the blue mask, but you aren't as well protected as you could be at the grocery store or wherever there's a fuckload of people in an enclosed space

And who really knows how much of the exhaled droplets escape from the sides of those masks. I don’t like my chances if everyone’s wearing one and we’re exposed for X amount of time

The pushback against wearing a mask

The reluctance to keep 6 feet of distance

The bans on gathering

The cancellation of events

I understand all of those things. I get it. 
What I still cant wrap my head around is just how many people cannot wear a mask properly. A mask does nothing if you dont cover your nose, jfc

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The pushback against wearing a mask

The reluctance to keep 6 feet of distance

The bans on gathering

The cancellation of events

I understand all of those things. I get it. 
What I still cant wrap my head around is just how many people cannot wear a mask properly. A mask does nothing if you dont cover your nose, jfc

You want me to wear my chin diaper over my nose?  Disgusting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, XYZ said:

It seems that doctors do what their “regulators” allow them to do, regulators being the AMA, CDC, FDA, whatever.

We do what is within the scope of the standard of practice often set by the state medical board. Most of us also use evidenced based medicine.

Not really in the habit of reading the FB comments from Karen and Brad on what some fringe doctors are touting as the next miracle drug.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its pretty funny how often you see this.  Serious question, though.  My gut tells me that respiratory droplets are transmitted at a much higher rate through the mouth as opposed to the nose.  Primarily through talking, coughing, sneezing etc.  And that the nose hairs and mucus often do their job stop transmission both in and out.  

Therefore, I would think its incorrect to say it does nothing if you don't cover your nose?  Obviously, if you have a mask on, why not wear it the right way?  But I would think over the mouth is better than no mask at all?

Actually part of your lungs job is to humidify ambient air to fairly close to 100% to allow for better interchange/protect the alveoli from drying out. So I don’t think there would be much difference between mouth vs nose breathing. 

Edited by drt

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

I don't know much about ivermectim but i'm kind of surprised how little info is out there regarding the availability of the Regeneron drug and if/when we should expect more production.   It's clearly available to certain politicians (and their friends) but how much is out there for the general public?  Seems like we need a shit load of this out there to help keep hospital beds open over the next 2 months while vaccinations ramp up.

Not that you are wrong, but the drug is only good very early in infection. So if you know you were exposed and get tested quickly, take the drug. If you wait awhile and then see the doctor then it will probably be too late for the drug to be effective.

28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not that you are wrong, but the drug is only good very early in infection. So if you know you were exposed and get tested quickly, take the drug. If you wait awhile and then see the doctor then it will probably be too late for the drug to be effective.

Yes, I get that.  But wouldn't it be nice to have a robust supply of the drug available to give to those most likely to be hospitalized as soon as infection is confirmed?  If anyone 60+ prudent to get tested had this option you would think hospitalizations could be decreased significantly.

51 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yes, I get that.  But wouldn't it be nice to have a robust supply of the drug available to give to those most likely to be hospitalized as soon as infection is confirmed?  If anyone 60+ prudent to get tested had this option you would think hospitalizations could be decreased significantly.

Disclaimer: 20 years ago, I worked on the technology that Regeneron used to develop its drug. Probably 600 pages or so back (looks like March 2), I mentioned that this would be the fastest path to create a drug to treat Covid. And I am very confident that the drug works well if given early in infection.

Unfortunately, the manufacturing process and delivery of such drugs is expensive. I have no clue how it is being prescribed currently but I am sure paying for it either through insurance or cash is going to cost a lot. So, even if Regeneron or its partner have a good, large-scale manufacturing plant I bet that cost is going to keep it from being used on the masses. Even if it was sold at cost, you are talking about something that is expensive. So mass distribution may require subsidizing from the government.

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, drt said:

Actually part of your lungs job is to humidify ambient air to fairly close to 100% to allow for better interchange/protect the alveoli from drying out. So I don’t think there would be much difference between mouth vs nose breathing. 

Direction, a little bit. I assume the more downward trajectory helps get and keep the cloud lower, and make it to the ground sooner. Depending on airflow of the area. But maybe that’s wrong or negligible. 

43 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So on their tombstones, does it say "Here lies _____. He absolutely didn't die of Covid because that shit is fake"?

The alternative is that it says "He broke his neck trying to suck his own dick, had to go into the hospital and onto a ventilator, then caught covid and died" because yeah, covid is fake and all.

Better to say he died of an accident.

Really, it's not so much the Covid-19 that kills you, it's the Death.  Death continues to be our nation's #1 killer of U.S. citizens, over 800,000 Americans.  There is no known cure for death and it is important to familiarize yourselves with death's symptoms and early warning signs.  I bet $50 and my left nut I could show the Henry Gibson PSA to certain "leaders" and they would think it was a real plea to stop the double-counting of Covid-19 deaths.  

9 minutes ago, XYZ said:

USA closing in on 250k daily new cases. A few months ago I thought that 50k was a lot.

Yeah, but a lot of people on here did not. I do not think anyone expected the fucked up response we have shown. Was walking back from HEB tonight (yes, it was open) and passed two bars. Both packed. One had live music and free food.  

I do not believe a lot of reported numbers around the globe, but damn we fucked this up. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away