Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

33 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Interesting idea, although the negative test angle has a lot of holes. When is the window for test? Rapid? Then more false negatives? We should just put one of these in every other seat. 

64-DF2-C5-F-A71-F-4-C0-A-89-CB-670-C88-B

Requiring a negative test within the last 72 hours and wearing a facemask the whole plane ride seems like a pretty non-invasive and reasonable pair of mitigations. Of course it isn't going to be perfect, but it also costs very little to actually do for the airlines and provides a measure of slowing down the virus. That's how you beat a pandemic - slow the spread. Because we don't really have any magic antivirals and injecting bleach isn't a great long term treatment

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Look I'm willing to have my name scrubbed against a no-fly list when I buy my ticket which is really me having to prove my innocence rather than be found guilty of anything, get to the airport two hours early, pay an insane amount of money for parking in a garage that my tax dollars already funded, go through a ridiculous charade of air safety by taxpayer-funded TSA where I'm questioned and searched within an inch of my sanity, only to board a plane that I've paid to ride with a portion of it going to more "security fees and 9/11 surcharges even though the failures of that were not my fault, and the whole time I've got to have my government issued ID that costs me money even though my tax dollars have already funded the DMV and Passport/Global Entry offices.  Nevermind the $9 beer, half of which goes to taxes.  I gotta deal with all those exhaustions of my wallet, my patience, my time, and my liberties just to fly to O'Hare.  

But I'll be goddamn if I'm gonna put on a non-invasive face mask for 90 minutes BECAUSE MUH FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

You are traveling wrong. 

Jesus dude, it was hyperbole for effect.  Please tell us what platinum status you have, we're waiting with baited breath.  Always bet on a surly poster not getting the fucking point.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Jesus dude, it was hyperbole for effect.  Please tell us what platinum status you have, we're waiting with baited breath.  Always bet on a surly poster not getting the fucking point.  

Counterpoint: Your posts are usually a wall of words and not as clever as you think they are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

It wasn't supposed to be clever (at least not this time).  People bitching about having to get tested and wear a mask seem to have no issue with being inconvenienced or liberty-violated on a dozen other things while flying. I have to laugh at your woman-esque "wall of words" bitching and moaning.  It was one paragraph with what...six sentences?  I know those Trumpers can't read anything more than 140 characters, but if they can't read one paragraph, my advice next time is---just skip my post.  You can't read good, it's okay. 

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Lobo said:

Please tell us more George Clooney from "Up in the Air".  I can't hear you at my FBO.  

You are clever. I prefer my own hanger to a FBO. 

Having to take a Covid test 72 hours before departure would be problematic for a lot of people. I can’t remember the last business flight I booked 3 days out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, the test part is gonna be a pain in the ass.  That's why my post, which was really just an illustration of freedom trade-offs that people should come to terms with but we live in a pouty era of false sense of liberty, just mentioned the mask part.  They're gonna have to figure out the testing window for people making last minute plans, changing tickets, missing connections and staying over in a city, etc.  The mask thing is just common sense though and we should be enforcing it same way we enforce all that other shit up there.  

I'd be interested to see if they could provide some sort of safety metric like they do with "this flight has on-time arrival 83% of the time", if it could be something like "this flight has 33% of passengers who were booked on it within the last 36 hours."  If that would give people pause.  I know the airline wouldn't like it, but then...they're not gonna refund your money anyway.  We've got a salty next few months coming up particularly, as you said, business travel really begins to ramp up and how those last minute changes will effect the testing platform.  In about 10 days, it will be the one year anniversary of the last time I was on an aircraft of any kind (a departure from all the miles I did in the 40+ years prior to that).  I don't miss it all, but I know I've gotta get back up there and I'm woefully curious to see how this Biden plan unfolds.  

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I mean, if I'm getting on an airplane, I'd prefer that everyone else has a recent negative test and is compelled to wear a facemask while in a sealed metal tube with 100 other strangers

Is this just you speculating or have you seen these suggestions somewhere? The order basically places no limits on what they’ll consider, although there are limits on what they can do. (I’m not a lawyer.)

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

In about 10 days, it will be the one year anniversary of the last time I was on an aircraft of any kind (a departure from all the miles I did in the 40+ years prior to that). 

They seem to have it pretty lined out. United plays some video claiming it’s one of the safest public places (true or not, I don’t know) and show a bunch of ways they’ve studied it.  Most everyone I’ve seen has had great mask usage.  They only thing they haven’t figured out is social distancing.  People seem to go brain dead in that regard.  That’s my take over roughly 20 flights in last 6 months.  Test will be a pain in the ass, I haven’t witnessed anyone bitch about a mask. 

Am I correct to infer that most false negative covid test results are due to a low amount of covid in the system?  If so then they likely aren’t all that contagious and wearing a mask would mitigate risk to a great degree. So that wouldn’t really be a hole. 
if they are due to inappropriate administration, how many are we talking about?

we aren’t trying to eliminate risk, @GRHorn, just mitigate it to a level deemed satisfactory. 

“looking into” adding covid vax doesn’t mean anything, does it?  

They seem to have it pretty lined out. United plays some video claiming it’s one of the safest public places (true or not, I don’t know) and show a bunch of ways they’ve studied it.  Most everyone I’ve seen has had great mask usage.  They only thing they haven’t figured out is social distancing.  People seem to go brain dead in that regard.  That’s my take over roughly 20 flights in last 6 months.  Test will be a pain in the ass, I haven’t witnessed anyone bitch about a mask. 

Daughter had to fly international a couple of weeks ago, and destination country required a PCR test within 72 hours. It was a pain, and pricey ($175 for a guaranteed fast turnaround).

If they could make it the fast antigen test instead, that would help. You lose some accuracy, but you gain speed, likelihood of actually doing it, and low cost. I think that’s a decent trade off.

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Am I correct to infer that most false negative covid test results are due to a low amount of covid in the system?  If so then they likely aren’t all that contagious and wearing a mask would mitigate risk to a great degree. So that wouldn’t really be a hole. 
if they are due to inappropriate administration, how many are we talking about?

we aren’t trying to eliminate risk, @GRHorn, just mitigate it to a level deemed satisfactory. 

“looking into” adding covid vax doesn’t mean anything, does it?  

Re: vax passport, I mean why would they put that in, unless it was on the table? 

I’m just sharing news items related to Covid and our response. 

It wouldn’t surprise me to see some sort of testing requirements before domestic flights. I’m more interested in what else they would consider under the umbrella of “domestic travel restrictions”

Re: vax passport, I mean why would they put that in, unless it was on the table? 

I’m just sharing news items related to Covid and our response. 

It wouldn’t surprise me to see some sort of testing requirements before domestic flights. I’m more interested in what else they would consider under the umbrella of “domestic travel restrictions”

Probably similar things like numerous governors did earlier in this pandemic, including our own: if deadly virus transmission is very high outside your borders, sharply restrict entry, even by land.

All tools are on the table. Always. Some are more extreme, and less likely to be used. But they are still on the table. And yes, they are all constitutional, or at least they can be if they are exercised in appropriate response and in a limited manner. This is long-established law, acknowledged by the current SCOTUS (even in its one decision critical of local action, it reiterated the standard and that such actions are permissible).

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Interesting idea, although the negative test angle has a lot of holes. When is the window for test? Rapid? Then more false negatives? We should just put one of these in every other seat. 

64-DF2-C5-F-A71-F-4-C0-A-89-CB-670-C88-B

We could try doing nothing and see how that works 

• Rage+1 1

Would it be rude to sit next to her and ask if there's room in there for two?  You know, I've always wanted to join the mile high club but never had a private tent.

I know it's difficult for both of you to actually read an article for information instead of a cheap gotcha but I'll go ahead and do it for you. Restaurants in DC were on a holiday pause due to worries about tourism. They were open before. So your belief that they are starting to open up is incorrect. They haven't been shut down the entire time. It has nothing to do with Biden taking over other than worries over Inauguration bringing in more people from outside. 

DC indoor dining to resume at 25% capacity

Restaurants in D.C. can resume indoor dining at 25% capacity after 5 a.m. Friday, when the city ends its ban on indoor dining, according to John J. Falcicchio, who serves as both chief of staff to Bowser and deputy mayor for planning and economic development.

Restaurant Week, which had been delayed because of the ban, will now start Monday, Jan. 25.

The ban on indoor dining went into effect on Dec. 23 amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

Museums will also be able be open, but no more than 250 people will be allowed on a floor at one time. Guided tours will also be suspended.

D.C. is still struggling with rising case loads. As of Thursday, it recorded 209 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total since the pandemic began to more than 34,600 cases and 864 deaths.

Other parts of the Dec. 23 order will remain in effect. Libraries will only offer pickup and drop-off services, according to a news release. The DC Circulator’s National Mall route will also remain suspended.

Do not try to reason with aggy

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If they could make it the fast antigen test instead, that would help. You lose some accuracy, but you gain speed, likelihood of actually doing it, and low cost. I think that’s a decent trade off.

I’d have absolutely no issue with that.  I’m already skipping my regular rotations home to avoid flying as much as possible. Would be even worse if I had to get a brain probe both ways, just to see the kids every few months.  This virus needs to gtfo.  

16 hours ago, Stannis said:

Speaking of the Beatles, at the beginning of the pandemic, I spent a lot of my nights listening to Beatles songs like Let it Be, Here Comes the Sun, Dear Prudence, In My Life, and the Long and Winding Road (and post-break up stuff from Harrison like Give me Love and My Sweet Lord).  You know, the kind of soft, spiritual, almost despondent, but optimistic tunes that make you happy and sad at the same time. 

Now, a year later, I swear I find myself listening exclusively to Helter Skelter, Sgt. Pepper's, Run for Your Life, I Me Mine, I'm Looking Through You, Happiness Is a Warm Gun, Ticket to Ride, etc. 

Come to the Dark Side of the moon.  Start listening to Pink Floyd.

16 hours ago, Stannis said:

I think I've grown numb to feel-good music and have firmly embraced my anger at whoever ate that fucking bat in Wuhan a little over a year ago.

They didn't eat a bat.

NSFW

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is absolutely outrageous - some of these teacher unions should be nuked from orbit.  Good on the Dem state congressman to say provide in-person options or lose funding.

There’s not a legitimate reason at this point to not provide in person instruction as an option. There’s nothing CR about that either. 

53 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m sure the fairfax county teacher union leader is making these tough decisions from Puerto Rico or Cabo

I don’t see a problem with that. They have internet in Pr and Cabo. Can still follow the #science there. 

Things not going well in Hong Kong...

Hong Kong officials imposed a strict 48-hour lockdown Saturday, forcing thousands of residents to stay in their homes as the coronavirus outbreak in the city has worsened.
Authorities made the unprecedented move in the city’s Yau Tsim Mong district, focusing on 16 apartment buildings where no residents will be allowed to leave unless they are tested for the virus, the Associated Press reported.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/23/hong-kong-imposes-strict-covid-19-lockdown/

Spain may be going off the rails. Their case numbers have skyrocketed faster the last 2 weeks than the last 2 times. They are blowing past previous records. The lockdowns they already had in place are getting stricter.  

Edit - graphs did not post from articles

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/europe/spain-coronavirus-cases.amp.html

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-01-22/spain-sets-record-for-new-coronavirus-cases-for-second-day-in-a-row.html

Edited by UT_OB1

Ferris Bueller taught me that the only black people in Chicago really like to attend parades and have group dance numbers at the ready. Or they'll joyride in your car if you valet in their lot. Or they tell you your grandmother has fake died. Or if they deliver you flowers, it's okay to flip them off. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away