Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'm guessing Cuomo didn't cover this in his book he wrote about how to effectively handle a pandemic, so we'll need to look at today's news stories.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cuomo-nursing-home-covid-deaths-ny-attorney-general-james-report-2021-1

In the James report released Thursday, the New York Department of Health (DOH) is essentially accused of juking the stats by omitting nursing home patients who died from the coronavirus while in hospital.

"Preliminary data obtained by O.A.G. suggests that many nursing home residents died from Covid-19 in hospitals after being transferred from their nursing homes, which is not reflected in D.O.H.'s published total nursing home death data," the AG's office wrote in a summary of the report.

I am looking forward to Cal McNair's book on how to be a successful NFL owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think a lot of it has to do with how many died in New York City which is 45% of the population of the whole state versus the rest of the state which is actually pretty spread out in terms of density.  And then Florida which looks like it ranks right behind New York in terms of density, but again you take out NYC...the state of New York has done pretty well overall, and better than the state of Florida.  This virus was never about people per square mile as people kept screaming.  It was always about people per square foot.  One year in, the excruciatingly simple maths and physics continue to escape many of our fellow Americans.   

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think a lot of it has to do with how many died in New York City which is 45% of the population of the whole state versus the rest of the state which is actually pretty spread out in terms of density.  And then Florida which looks like it ranks right behind New York in terms of density, but again you take out NYC...the state of New York has done pretty well overall, and better than the state of Florida.  This virus was never about people per square mile as people kept screaming.  It was always about people per square foot.  One year in, the excruciatingly simple maths and physics continue to escape many of our fellow Americans.   

Bullshit. 

NY, by governor's order, knowingly sent Covid patients into nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

That's the reason for their high death rate.

Facts First: Gov. Cuomo falsely claims New York nursing homes 'never needed' to take in Covid-positive patients - CNNPolitics

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Except for that one thing Mrs. Lincoln enjoyed the play.

• Haha 2

Yeah, nobody is excusing the fuckup in NYC.  It's just tough to compare all of Florida to all of New York when this giant red blinking light of fuckups called NYC is kind of an outlier.  I'm no Cuomo fan. 

It's like gun violence in America...you take out the top 6 cities for gun homicides, and also suicides and dying by gunshot suddenly falls below dying from Lupus.  Yeah, it's kinda selective statistical analysis......but when there's these screaming outliers and beyond them shit starts to calm down...you gotta look at those deltas.  

I think New York AND Florida have fucked up astronomically beyond forgiveness, particular given the median ages in those states.  There's only a handful of Governors in the nation that have done an admirable job and the fact we don't know who they are should tell you something.  Because we're just debating who is the least complicit asshole in a governor's mansion this week.  

Cuomo is an idiot. DeSantis is an idiot. They are both blowhard douche bags more concerned with their brand than their constituents. The worst possible scenario in 2028 or whenever is a Cuomo vs DeSantis POTUS race. Which means we'll probably get it.

The governors that have done well are mostly the ones you never hear about. Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Kentucky, Virginia, and the upper New England states.

3fd9b5c2749233a26bfff55bbfe4dd21.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, nobody is excusing the fuckup in NYC.  It's just tough to compare all of Florida to all of New York when this giant red blinking light of fuckups called NYC is kind of an outlier.  I'm no Cuomo fan. 

It's like gun violence in America...you take out the top 6 cities for gun homicides, and also suicides and dying by gunshot suddenly falls below dying from Lupus.  Yeah, it's kinda selective statistical analysis......but when there's these screaming outliers and beyond them shit starts to calm down...you gotta look at those deltas.  

I think New York AND Florida have fucked up astronomically beyond forgiveness, particular given the median ages in those states.  There's only a handful of Governors in the nation that have done an admirable job and the fact we don't know who they are should tell you something.  Because we're just debating who is the least complicit asshole in a governor's mansion this week.  

Florida fucked up?  they are below the US average for % of deaths to cases.

15 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

God dammit Otto, you have Lupus!

RIP, Mitch.  I love that bit for so many reasons.  First---it's a good point.  Only one disease you get yelled at for having.  Second, he picks fucking Lupus of all diseases.  And then the guy on the brunt of it is named, Otto?  How did his mind come up with that shit?  There's not a comic on the planet, no matter how legendary that wouldn't have made the joke into something more approachable, "Dammit Bob, you have Cancer!"  But Otto & Lupus.  I really miss that guy sometimes.  Pos rep

40 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Florida fucked up?  they are below the US average for % of deaths to cases.

Deaths per million 

UK 1520

Italy 1440

Spain 1220

Florida 1200

France 1100

Germany 650

I included the larger Western European countries for comparison. 

Pretty much middle of the road with an older population and life there affected quite a bit less than those other countries.  Seems like they did alright. 

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Also a funny coincidence that Newsome's recall votes are inching closer to the needed 1.5M.  Nothing but loons there too, right?  Everyone with a voice coming out of LA:  podcasters, comedians, business & restaurant owners, ex pats, all rage against that imbecile.  You truly have the intellect of a bag of rusty hammers. 

I was told on CR that it wouldn't amount  to anything back when it was 800k,  now Newsome opens things up when it gets closer?i think not coincidence GIF

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What are there, 10-20 million republicans in California?  Why is is so difficult to get 1.5 million signatures?

Again, I was told it was going to be like the last recall that didn't  make with what, about 10 to 20 mill Republicans? I wonder why its succeeding this time?

Man, I sure hope so and that we do not go the way of a few European nations. France is close to another spike, but fearful of locking down again. 

Amid risks of a push back from a population wearied by successive restrictions, the French government is mulling tougher anti-Covid curbs – including a third lockdown – after conceding a nightly curfew was failing to suppress the spread of the virus.

When it comes to deciding on new measures to combat the coronavirus pandemic, French President Emmanuel Macron and his government are walking a tightrope. Should another nationwide lockdown – the third in less than 12 months – be quickly imposed on the French, as scientists are advocating? Or should the government wait a few more weeks, or even opt for a less strict approach, so as not to alienate part of the population?

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210128-macron-weighs-up-a-third-lockdown-despite-signs-the-french-can-t-take-it-anymore

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Someone should tell France that they can quit pretending and go back to normal now that Biden has been sworn in.  Or maybe they are waiting until after 3/4 just to be sure. 
(I assume “featuring lots of politics” means the occasional overt jab is ok)

It is, bosses orders. 

Man, I sure hope so and that we do not go the way of a few European nations. France is close to another spike, but fearful of locking down again. 
Amid risks of a push back from a population wearied by successive restrictions, the French government is mulling tougher anti-Covid curbs – including a third lockdown – after conceding a nightly curfew was failing to suppress the spread of the virus.

When it comes to deciding on new measures to combat the coronavirus pandemic, French President Emmanuel Macron and his government are walking a tightrope. Should another nationwide lockdown – the third in less than 12 months – be quickly imposed on the French, as scientists are advocating? Or should the government wait a few more weeks, or even opt for a less strict approach, so as not to alienate part of the population?
https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210128-macron-weighs-up-a-third-lockdown-despite-signs-the-french-can-t-take-it-anymore

France conceding? Well knock me over with a feather
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

this will be tough for some people to stomach.

No it really isn't - New York screwed up bigly. 

It's more that y'all are so dead set on hating those stupid libruls and stanning for PATRIOT STATES that yall drown out literally any other topic. 

We get it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If you ever have a chance to attend a Reason-sponsored event and get drunk and do blow with Nick Gillespie, do it.  

D0-C88328-29-A3-4-E38-81-C9-6-DA47-CD1-D

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No it really isn't - New York screwed up bigly. 

It's more that y'all are so dead set on hating those stupid libruls and stanning for PATRIOT STATES that yall drown out literally any other topic. 

We get it.

I mean there are enough people blind enough to think he did a good job, that he got to publish a book patting himself on the back. And this is while other political authors get deals cancelled. So some people didn’t get it.

Edited by GRHorn

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Which is?

Publishers are using their discretion to not publish nonsense by one person, while publishing nonsense by another.

Because evidently they don’t get it. Like a lot of people. Despite the assertions of Captain. 

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

That its incorrect to imply that everyone already knows that Cuomo fucked up the whole thing, so just move along.  He has been hailed as a hero by many.  Awards, books, media attention.

I don’t see anyone defending Cuomo or his fuckup. The article posted was even from super radical left CNN saying he fucked up and deserves criticism. Aren’t they the ones being accused of whitewashing the narrative? Any initial fawning by the media has evaporated when new information has come to light. That’s how reporting works. 

His point was mired by its own windmill chasing and subsequent terrible analogy to a seditious Senator. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t see anyone defending Cuomo or his fuckup. The article posted was even from super radical left CNN saying he fucked up and deserves criticism. Aren’t they the ones being accused of whitewashing the narrative? Any initial fawning by the media has evaporated when new information has come to light. That’s how reporting works. 

His point was mired by its own windmill chasing and subsequent terrible analogy to a seditious Senator. 

if reporting was actually working the bolded wouldn't be happening initially.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

That CNN article, lol

If Donald Trump was seen as the public face of the failed government response to the coronavirus pandemic, Andrew Cuomo was seen by some as the opposite -- a politician who understood the myriad challenges created by Covid-19 and moved quickly to address them in the most transparent way possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd like to see two douchebag, fuck-up New Yorkers like Trump and Cuomo have to fight each other to the death for our amusement.  To inspire them, tell them the winner will finally be loved by his famous father.  I'd pay to see that over a well-done steak.  

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

CNN coming out swinging. Watch out Cuomo!

Andrew Cuomo's Covid-19 performance may have been less stellar than it seemed

lololololol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'd like to see two douchebag, fuck-up New Yorkers like Trump and Cuomo have to fight each other to the death for our amusement.  To inspire them, tell them the winner will finally be loved by his famous father.  I'd pay to see that over a well-done steak.  

If you throw the douchebags Biden and Newsom into the mix I'm in.  Maybe a tag team steel cage match.

• Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It’s easy to fawn over someone that took it seriously versus someone who said don’t worry, it would disappear. Context matters 

425K people are dead. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Context matters 

Like telling people masks don't work?  The "context" we later learned was more nuanced.  Telling people not to freak out publicly while engendering a vaccine in a record period of time nobody though was even viable also needs to be viewed with a certain amount of context.  Or the context between travel bans and telling people to get out and travel has it's own context.  

Pontificating about "context" while laying national body count numbers at the feet on one person indicates this is nothing more than a bad faith argument.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away