Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Why are you concerned about The Who?  Is it because of Pete Townsend’s pedophilia?   I don’t give a fuck about China.  I give a fuck about people who can directly affect getting vaccines into my arm and into my fellow Americans arms.  Why are you obsessed with China and The Who?  Who are you?  Who who?  I really want to know.

from the guy who said if there were China shenanigans we should absolutely try to find out?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Dont call them deplorables, you'll make them storm the capitol again if you hurt their fee fees

I’m not fucking around anymore.   If I step in dogshit, it’s dogshit.  It’s not Old Spice.   I’m going to call it dogshit and treat it accordingly.  Again I’m done fucking around with these trump people.  They are shit, and will be treated accordingly by me.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m not fucking around anymore.   If I step in dogshit, it’s dogshit.  It’s not Old Spice.   I’m going to call it dogshit and treat it accordingly.  Again I’m done fucking around with these trump people.  They are shit, and will be treated accordingly by me.   

You are such a badass!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You are such a badass!

Here’s a challenge, look at my posts over the last two days and either refute them with facts, including articles, or wobble back and forth and bloviate a bunch.  I reckon I know what youll do.   You’re a pussy.  Sorry you were raised that way.  

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here’s a challenge, look at my posts over the last two days and either refute them with facts, including articles, or wobble back and forth and bloviate a bunch.  I reckon I know what youll do.   You’re a pussy.  Sorry you were raised that way.  

Or I just don't give a fuck about you or your posts. You aren't making a difference posting your drivel on Surlyhorns.com.  But keep fighting the good fight, internet warrior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait, that dude is involved with the Kroger chain?  

I honestly don’t know, but I think so.   What I do know is that when I go down to the coast, there’s no Johnny Sack lighthouse preserve, or no other thing other than fuck you I got mine.  That’s what you need to know about Johnny Sack.   Fuck you, I got mine.  

7 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

you mean like the post where you say we should find out about China shenanigans(this makes me want to head to a seedy NW Austin bar BTW) and then subsequently say you don't give a fuck about China? are you bipolar?  maybe happy hour started early?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

you mean like the post where you say we should find out about China shenanigans(this makes me want to head to a seedy NW Austin bar BTW) and then subsequently say you don't give a fuck about China? are you bipolar?  maybe happy hour started early?

I don’t live in China. I don’t eat off China.   This is the USA, you are obsessed with China.  Show me where I touched you in China, you stupid fuck.  

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You are hoping people get really mad at China, to avoid looking at the problem we have here.  You are a dumbass.  We have two problems.  One of them hurts your fee fees, so you want to focus on the other.  Fuck you. We have two problems, and one of them is you.  

Alternative POV,  figuring out the true cause/origination of the virus so that we don’t have another?  Given that 2 of the last three deadly Coronaviruses came from China, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hold them accountable. 

The problem here is that we have old people, fat people, and those same people like to gather socially and travel. Now I’m down for a fat tax (sorry Vic) but maybe not starting the virus in the first place is a better area to start? 

Wife (she is a NP at Texas Childrens) is on a conference call with Dr Peter Hotez. Had no clue who he was until I googled him. Apparently hes one of the worlds leading vaccinologists?

80554d56f376bf58a18751240d2cd227.jpg

(Yes, she needs to clean her work phone)

He pretty much said that based on current info, the vaccines we have dont protect against the South African variant.

“March and April are going to be extremely hard”

Says the biggest obstacle towards getting back to normalcy is public acceptance of vaccines (which is odd because he just said the above about current vaccine efficacy)

He said a bunch of other things, but I think everything else was not as concrete and a lot is still unknown about the new variants still (shocker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife (she is a NP at Texas Childrens) is on a conference call with Dr Peter Hotez. Had no clue who he was until I googled him. Apparently hes one of the worlds leading vaccinologists?

80554d56f376bf58a18751240d2cd227.jpg

(Yes, she needs to clean her work phone)

He pretty much said that based on current info, the vaccines we have dont protect against the South African variant.

“March and April are going to be extremely hard”

Says the biggest obstacle towards getting back to normalcy is public acceptance of vaccines (which is odd because he just said the above about current vaccine efficacy)

He said a bunch of other things, but I think everything else was not as concrete and a lot is still unknown about the new variants still (shocker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don’t live in China. I don’t eat off China.   This is the USA, you are obsessed with China.  Show me where I touched you in China, you stupid fuck.  

at least you answered the question.  its apparently both.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For fuck's sake, all that most of us are saying is that we have literally dozens of models that are more cost-effective and successful than ours.  Let's steal the things that work, ditch the things that don't, and build a better system than the most-expensive one in the world, with mediocre results....which is what we have now.

My point is that I believe government-run health care is very workable.  I know about a dozen people who left the US and moved to several places abroad - Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, even Costa Rica.  To a man they say the health care is better.  Usually it's in the form of "yeah, health care's just not something we have to give a lot of thought to."  Are they getting the coolest new machines that go "bing," exemer lasers, or the best boner pills?  No clue, but they don't think twice about having to pay for a damn COVID test.

I also get that the Trump administration is an extreme example, but I don't think it's a fundamentally different thing.  

This is where I land, though.  I think governments can be trusted to run health care, and to do it quite a bit better than it's being done in this country.  But the thing is, I don't trust our particular government (regardless of which color in charge) to do it.  I really don't trust our government to do anything that helps anyone who's not in the top 1% or whose name ends in "Inc." unless it's a collateral benefit or a "win win" situation.  It's a feature, not a bug.

• Hook 'Em 1

So this is a pretty big claim and contrary to most widely reported data. Have any details on this?

Agree we may be looking at a spring surge as the next gen variants become dominant in this country.

Edit: UTMB actually just released a study with very promising results for the Pfizer vaccine against the newer variants https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/health/article/UTMB-study-Pfizer-vaccine-effective-against-UK-15936945.php
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fwiw, doomer Osterholm echoed the same-“next 6-14 weeks will be the darkest”.

I mean we hope to god they’re dead wrong and we’re on the mend like things are trending. but then how much confidence going forward do we give them?

I I think Minnesota has all 3 variants(I’m sure every state does by now)... and it has all done everything but show the variants are becoming dominant. We’ll see I guess.

I think some places have the right attitude and can control the spread, Austin being one of them. But we all saw or heard about the SB parties in Tampa. As people let their guard down they are going to travel and continue to do dumb things. Nationally, I think we have one more shitty period. But fuck it, I don't need to go to Florida anytime soon. We have not approached anything about COVID at the national level, and I don't see us starting anytime soon. 

18 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Fwiw, doomer Osterholm echoed the same-“next 6-14 weeks will be the darkest”.

I mean we hope to god they’re dead wrong and we’re on the mend like things are trending. but then how much confidence going forward do we give them?

I I think Minnesota has all 3 variants(I’m sure every state does by now)... and it has all done everything but show the variants are becoming dominant. We’ll see I guess.

13 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think some places have the right attitude and can control the spread, Austin being one of them. But we all saw or heard about the SB parties in Tampa. As people let their guard down they are going to travel and continue to do dumb things. Nationally, I think we have one more shitty period. But fuck it, I don't need to go to Florida anytime soon. We have not approached anything about COVID at the national level, and I don't see us starting anytime soon. 

I agree we are probably looking at a spring surge in cases. The vaccines aren't widespread enough and protection from infection for those who had COVID previously evidently is not great with the South African variant in particular. As these new variants become dominant, there are more than enough people out there that can still be infected.

How bad it is depends on people's behavior. Between vaccinations and people that have been infected previously, there will be a non-trivial chunk that should be at least protected from severe illness, and the vaccines do appear to have significant efficacy against symptomatic infection from UK/SA variants, even if it's slightly lower than the original 95 percent figures. The ship has long sailed on lockdowns so I'm not here to debate that, and I haven't generally been a full shutdown guy, but a six week shutdown now would offer us the chance to smash the curve and roll out the vaccine to the broader population, effectively ending the pandemic as a health emergency in this country.

However we'll likely see the opposite - relaxed policy, people letting their guard down. With these new variants noticeably more contagious, things could well be worse than what we experienced over the winter holidays even with some level of built in protection in the population. Time will tell.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

If we see another spike it'll be high cases low deaths, relatively speaking. The shutdowns are a torque wrench set to loosen at this point. They won't be tightening again imo. Nobody, not even people like me who have been pretty cautious, is going to tolerate shutting down again without risk of hospitals being overwhelmed.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

@immamac: motion to rename thread DT COVID-19 - featuring lots of brain damage. 

Cant we all just get along? Let’s focus on something we can all agree on. Schools should be open. The only reason some people are fighting it is they’re using it as negotiating tool for more stimulus. 

If we see another spike it'll be high cases low deaths, relatively speaking. The shutdowns are a torque wrench set to loosen at this point. They won't be tightening again imo. Nobody, not even people like me who have been pretty cautious, is going to tolerate shutting down again without risk of hospitals being overwhelmed.

Yeah, I’m not under any illusion that’s in the cards. It would work, but there’s no appetite for it, so we’ll see how things play out. As it stands now we’re essentially counting on the vaccine rollout to win the race against the spread of the variants. Tend to agree with your take regarding hospitalizations/deaths but there is potential for it to get pretty bad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Cant we all just get along? Let’s focus on something we can all agree on. Schools should be open. The only reason some people are fighting it is they’re using it as negotiating tool for more stimulus. 

HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!! /amirite?

fiscal conservatism begins crawling out of its hole, covered in its own shit but still breathing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Meanwhile I just checked and since the start of the delayed semester (last Monday) my kids’ school is averaging 1 new confirmed and 1 new presumptive case per day at 25% capacity two days per week. More than I thought.  

My advanced statistical modeling tells me that at 100% every day we’d be looking at several more than that.  

15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Meanwhile I just checked and since the start of the delayed semester (last Monday) my kids’ school is averaging 1 new confirmed and 1 new presumptive case per day at 25% capacity two days per week. More than I thought.  

My advanced statistical modeling tells me that at 100% every day we’d be looking at several more than that.  

There are around 115,000 kids in Austin/Travis Co enrolled in Public  & Private Schools. (I am not bothering with day care) (AISD, EISD, LTISD & Private)

Pandemic to date we have seen

2,904 - 1 to 9 year olds & 7,362 - 10 to 19 year olds with CV19. I am making some assumptions here:

1) that 75% of the 1 to 9 year olds infected are school age

2) that 90% of the 10 to 19 are school age

So that leaves us with: (2,904 * .75) + (7,362 *.90) = Total school aged kids previously infected with CV19

so 2178 + 6623 = 8803 school aged kids infected pandemic to date

8803/115,000 to get an approximate rate of school aged kids infected vs school aged kids enrolled

7.65% of school aged kids have had CV19 in Travis County/Austin.

I may be missing some other districts in Travis Co but these are big three.

You missed Pflugerville ISD (about 25,500 students) which is the second biggest district in Travis County and, at least anecdotally, one of the highest percentage of infected.  Cousin's kids getting exposed and quarantined several times each already.

Don't know how or if that would affect your numbers

Edited by Catpfish
number of fstudents

16 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

You missed Pflugerville ISD (about 25,500 students) which is the second biggest district in Travis County and, at least anecdotally, one of the highest percentage of infected.  Cousin's kids getting exposed and quarantined several times each already.

Don't know how or if that would affect your numbers

Ahh you're right, I live Central so Pflugerville may as well say "here be monsters" on my map of day to day life.

It takes % of kids infected even lower. Would make it 140k as the denominator vs the 115k I had. Makes it 6.28% of school aged population infected.

This is based on the 75/90% of cases being school aged kids I referenced above.

How many of the grubby little shits infected others? I know it is challenging to count for that impact, but it was where a big part of the fear was. 

I can only speak for SMISD. What we saw when schools locked down was kids said fuck online and it was party as normal going from house to house, park to park. Daughter was a senior last Spring and most of her friends gave zero fucks. 

School is still a hybrid in San Marcos and changes weekly. Have a few friends who teach at SMHS and they are always moving from Pods to all virtual to half and half. Maddening. 

I would have preferred half days for 50% of kids, Friday can be online and sanitize the shit out of school/teacher prep/sip read wine from coffee mugs. Keeps numbers down in the hallways, lunch time is the switch over period so those kids who need meal assistance still have access, and kids at least get some time 4 days a week with their teachers. Impact would be on transportation for sure, but these are assets that could be adjusted and utilized vs. sitting parked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away