Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

No fucking way. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/world/asia/china-world-health-organization-coronavirus.html?

On W.H.O. Trip, China Refused to Hand Over Important Data

The information could be key to determining how and when the outbreak started, and to learning how to prevent future pandemics.

lol China really is asshole. How dare they ask questions and request data! Accept our narrative!

“Several say their Chinese counterparts were frustrated by the team’s persistent questioning and demands for data.”

“Chinese officials urged the W.H.O. team to embrace the government’s narrative about the source of the virus, including the unproven notion that it might have spread to China from abroad, according to several members of the team.”

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, Lobo said:

I'm telling y'all, we need a Qanon thread.  Every other major university in this part of the country has a fan site that has a dedicated Qanon thread.  

I don't understand why we don't have one.  

I mean this website is already a retreat from real life for many of us.  Why can't it also be a retreat from sanity, logic, and reason?  

Why?  We have a whole board for the 30-50 dedicated true believers, who provide literally 90% of the cloak room content.  Like Twitter has 90% of its content created by 10% of the users.

Fascinating parasites. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Wait, 30-50 CR posters who post 90% of the content are Qanon believers?  I get the 80/20 rule, I think it's probably true on this site as well...particularly on thread starting in CR.  But you're saying those same people are also Qanon disciples?  I think are, FOR SURE, 30-50 Qanon subscribers all over this site, but I don't get the connection to CR unless I'm missing the whole point---that they false flag post on message boards like this as part of the overall Qanon community strategy.  What am I missing?  

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait, 30-50 CR posters who post 90% of the content are Qanon believers?  I get the 80/20 rule, I think it's probably true on this site as well...particularly on thread starting in CR.  But you're saying those same people are also Qanon disciples?  I think are, FOR SURE, 30-50 Qanon subscribers all over this site, but I don't get the connection to CR unless I'm missing the whole point---that they false flag post on message boards like this as part of the overall Qanon community strategy.  What am I missing?  

Q-Anon. 

Russia, Russia, Russia.

No difference.

Edited by Johnny Sack

There's seriously no difference between the NSA indicating Russia has been meddling around our cyberspace for years looking for vulnerabilities and 25mm Americans believing that JFK, Jr. is trying to keep Joe Biden from drinking baby's blood?  

If there's no difference, I'll sleep better tonight.  I think Russian bullshit is overblown and Qanon people shouldn't be allowed to operate freely...but that's me.  

Getting back to the thread point---Qanon disciples may present more of a challenge to herd immunity in this country than Russia, Russia, Russia folks.  Because from the little I've gleaned of the former, there are serious and dangerous theories about the vaccination program in that community that will effect all of us because of how herd works/doesn't work.  The Russia Collusion goons are thankfully, at least for now, largely silent on the whether or not the vaccination is bad for us to take due to conspiracy theories and evil Big Tech.  

Kooks on both sides, no CR, I get your point.  But Qanon is a danger to Herd Immunity in my country, on our watch.  Their numbers and influence over the people they provide care for (elderly and children) are such that they can fuck up herd in huge swatches of the country just by continuing to be the stupid people they are.  I don't want to go on to the actual Qanon chan sites.  But it is somewhat helpful to see what their thoughts are on places like TexAgs, TigerDroppings, and maybe even Surly so we can see the majesty of the absolute sublimely insane behavior we are up against in Texas in order to finally control this pandemic.  As per usual, most of the issues come down to understanding why it's perfectly fine to have lots and lots of stupid people in your community or country.  As long as they don't get a seat at the table. 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, Enchubben said:

lol China really is asshole. How dare they ask questions and request data! Accept our narrative!

“Several say their Chinese counterparts were frustrated by the team’s persistent questioning and demands for data.”

“Chinese officials urged the W.H.O. team to embrace the government’s narrative about the source of the virus, including the unproven notion that it might have spread to China from abroad, according to several members of the team.”

China's embrace is something akin to Commodus hugging Marcus Aurelius...

42 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

JFC.

Looks the Big HVAC lobby pulling through. 

It really is like they have no idea, or more likely don’t care, what has been happening through large swaths of the country for months.

Let this being a clear demonstration of one thing. Fauci is as much a politician as a scientist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So does the administration pay attention to data from ANY parts of the country that have been open since august to base these decisions on or don’t they count? This whole “school needs to reopen “ shit makes me pull my hair out. ND has been open since august. Any part of Minny that isn’t urban Minneapolis has been open since September. My district is back full time k-8, hybrid HS. Our buses have no ventilation because of winter and upwards of 30-40 kids on certain routes. We haven’t had one driver get sick. Had a 3 instances all year where they had exposures not related to bus driving so they missed work.

And most of these schools that are closed have probably been built before world war 2. Are we looking at zero in person instruction for many of these urban schools because it went from 100 days to schools will be reopen to 1 day a week to needs HVAC due to mold concerns. Fucking circus. Sucks for those families when their strings are being tugged by a bunch of clowns.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So does the administration pay attention to data from ANY parts of the country that have been open since august to base these decisions on or don’t they count? This whole “school needs to reopen “ shit makes me pull my hair out. ND has been open since august. Any part of Minny that isn’t urban Minneapolis has been open since September. My district is back full time k-8, hybrid HS. Our buses have no ventilation because of winter and upwards of 30-40 kids on certain routes. We haven’t had one driver get sick. Had a 3 instances all year where they had exposures not related to bus driving so they missed work.

And most of these schools that are closed have probably been built before world war 2. Are we looking at zero in person instruction for many of these urban schools because it went from 100 days to schools will be reopen to 1 day a week to needs HVAC due to mold concerns. Fucking circus. Sucks for those families when their strings are being tugged by a bunch of clowns.

I’m less interested in the political side of this. Schools, stimulus etc. I’m more interested in the health czar essentially burning whatever credibility he has with one bullshit statement. Why listen to this guy? Is he telling truth on vaccines and variants etc? 

He knows he’s lying. Half the country (or more) just looks around and wonders what he’s talking about. I still can’t tell if they think every one is just dumb or if they’re just that insulated from the real world? Why not both I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Cool, too bad there isn't more private schools. I don't see how that isn't the answer here? Why go to public when private seems to handle it better. More private schools more competition to make it cheaper.

I don't believe in grammar smack talk on a message board, but don't argue the virtues of private school over public school and begin your opening salvo with, "...there ISN'T more private schools."  It doesn't help our cause (me being a school choice proponent).  Otherwise, I agree with you in large part, carry on...

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't believe in grammar smack talk on a message board, but don't argue the virtues of private school over public school and begin your opening salvo with, "...there ISN'T more private schools."  It doesn't help our cause (me being a school choice proponent).  Otherwise, I agree with you in large part, carry on...

I definitely need to proof read more. My favorite is typing something, and think of the next word and not type it.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Looks the Big HVAC lobby pulling through. 

It really is like they have no idea, or more likely don’t care, what has been happening through large swaths of the country for months.

Let this being a clear demonstration of one thing. Fauci is as much a politician as a scientist. 

why not both on both counts.  its all a money grift at different levels that will just go into overdrive now...but what about the children, what about the children)gasp, sob, gasp)?

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

why not both on both counts.  its all a money grift at different levels that will just go into overdrive now...but what about the children, what about the children)gasp, sob, gasp)?

It’s sad that he’s supposed to be the national health czar or whatever. This should put an end to any Fauci worship that still goes on. (does it still go on?) The guy is a total sham. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Without $2T of stimulus?  I've been told that's impossible. 

I'm feeling very fortunate that I live in a state where the teachers union have no power.

it's clear that the union's goal is to try to kick the can of re-opening to the Spring and then say "Well, it's so close to the end of the school year, let's just keep everything virtual until the Fall."

And the unions won't want to re-open in the Fall either, no matter the status of covid and how many teachers are vaccinated.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, GRHorn said:

To the point where this forum veers into politics I’ll try not to contribute if possible. Part of the problem is just when an article says “Biden Administration to consider domestic travel bans” it immediately gets people’s guards up and ready to go. Not sure how to combat that unless you want this thread to just be the days numbers and us saying wow they’re getting better or worse. 

Your concern with the public policy response to this pandemic started on 1/20.

you’re a fucking clown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Your concern with the public policy response to this pandemic started on 1/20.

you’re a fucking clown.

You’re wrong, but that’s ok. 

50 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Wut?

Must be some behind the scenes motivation for the change because the #science has not. In any case the next person sharing something this jerk off says acting like it’s Gospel needs to think about it. 

Oh here’s another exceptional bureaucrat following the science or something. 

So the whole time the problem was we weren’t listening to the “experts”. Now we learn that they’re corrupted and/or retarded. Great. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And yours ended then.

Bullshit. You’ll actually find folks willing to call out missteps by (D) in CR.

If Cuomo is guilty of what was accused upthread, he should be removed from office. You’ll also probably recall all those “leftists” calling him out for his early decisions regarding nursing homes. It was right around the time you made your last post on CR touting Trump’s approval rating for his response to the pandemic.

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Must be some behind the scenes motivation for the change because the #science has not. In any case the next person sharing something this jerk off says acting like it’s Gospel needs to think about it. 

So the whole time the problem was we weren’t listening to the “experts”. Now we learn that they’re corrupted and/or retarded. Great. 

Your agenda here is beyond obvious. You had zero issues with the former administrations COVID response. You are most definitely a clown. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Your agenda here is beyond obvious. You had zero issues with the former administrations COVID response. You are most definitely a clown. 

You’re assuming things that are incorrect. I never once said I had “zero issues” with Trump and Covid response. Dumbass. 

On 2/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, GRHorn said:

Corrupted.  What about the children? Won't someone think of the children?

• Haha 1

Yeah.....you gotta plan on how to segregate those folks from everyone else?  It's a fucking rainbow unicorn fantasy goal.  It is absolutely unachievable, so it has no place in any grown-up's discussion of strategies.
Nevermind the admin's complete and total abdication of any role in crafting a comprehensive vaccine administration approach.  And any number of other failures with the overall COVID approach -- like LITERALLY calling for there to be LESS testing.  That happened.  Out loud.  Repeatedly.  For fucking fuck's sake.

A WW II effort to make PPE and testing easily accessible could have been coupled with a herd immunity and segregation of at risk pops. Along with universal PTO grants.

One major problem with herd immunity is that we’re finding out its immunity from one strain of the virus. The more humans that get infected, the more likely it will mutate into something else.

And so far the mutations have all made it worse and more contagious.

It is within the realm of possibility we’re in the new normal, especially if we cant get our shit together.

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

It is within the realm of possibility we’re in the new normal, especially if we cant get our shit together.

This seems unlikely to me. There's going to be a breaking point where people are going to just accept the risks involved and get back to normal. Some people have been there for months, some are getting there now, and most will get there once they have their vaccine. Nothing is going to stem that tide.

Besides, while the vaccines aren't quite as effective on the new strains, they do tamp down the severity and deadliness of them. And the mRNA vaccines are going to be able to engineer boosters for the various strains rapidly. 

There is not going to be a "new normal". Things will be back close to 2019-ish by late summer and the toothpaste isn't going back in the tube.

• Hook 'Em 1

This seems unlikely to me. There's going to be a breaking point where people are going to just accept the risks involved and get back to normal. Some people have been there for months, some are getting there now, and most will get there once they have their vaccine. Nothing is going to stem that tide.
Besides, while the vaccines aren't quite as effective on the new strains, they do tamp down the severity and deadliness of them. And the mRNA vaccines are going to be able to engineer boosters for the various strains rapidly. 
There is not going to be a "new normal". Things will be back close to 2019-ish by late summer and the toothpaste isn't going back in the tube.

“Unlikely” and “within the realm of possibility” are not mutually exclusive.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

This right here. A massive portion of the population is already living like it's 2019. Once enough get vaccinated, it will be life as normal for nearly everyone. 

As Brad indicates, the vaccine endpoints of primary elevance are severity of disease and mortality.  The preliminary indications are that the vax are capable of driving those down, even among the more infectious variants.  And the mRNA technology absolutely allows for rapid response if we get a really wild mutation.  GSK jumped on the mRNA bandwagon as well, which is noteworthy given their significant experience with other vaccine approaches. I tend to agree that we are going to see a return to normal sooner rather than later. The "new normal" in my opinion will be blunted numbers of cases, manageable numbers of severe cases and deaths, and seasonality while we play whack a mole with new vaccine boosters to targets more infectious strains. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There’s one thing I just don't understand: for many months now we know that there is a strong correlation between vitamin D level and severity of covid. Not only there’s correlation but the causality is there too. When they give hospital patients vitamin D upon arrival, the death rate ends up being like 60% lower or some shit like that. Vitamin D is readily available at any pharmacy. We also know that it’s hard to fuck up the dosage. Nearly half of the population is vitamin D deficient. For a lot of the population who are deficient, 1000 IUs or 2000 IUs are going to bring the level up to where you want it. You could take enough to where it becomes toxic, but it seems that it would be a lot more than what is needed in most cases. So having said all this, why the fuck is the government not urging people to take a vitamin D supplement?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away