Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Comparing the response/resulting statistics of a state who's largest city is 100K to Texas or California or any state with highly concentrated metro centers isn't at all apples to apples. 

If LA or NYC didn't implement the "ineffective mitigation mandates" you really believe the resulting increase in deaths would be less than what they'll now be left with at the hands of suicides and substance abuse?  Yeah right.

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2020/urban-density-not-linked-to-higher-coronavirus-infection-rates-and-is-linked-to-lower-covid-19-death-rates.html

Are there any early data on suicides due to Covid-19?  I mean, not the virus itself, you know what I mean.  Like job loss, divorce, depression, isolation-induced loneliness?  I see that in the last 30 years, we tend to fluctuate in the U.S. between 30-40k.  I'd guess that about 80% of anything over that could be linked to Covid-19?  I'd think you can't attach 100% of the overage to Covid-19 because there's some people that are just gonna look for an excuse that particular year to do it, whatever is "trending."  

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

There are 15 states that no longer have mask mandates.  Is there any evidence that removal of mask mandates in those states has been detrimental to public health or reduced the desire for vaccines?

How many of those governors made the order such that it overrules all city and county mask mandates? Legitimately asking, you seem more up to speed with that stuff than I am. There is a big difference between having no state order which effectively leaves it up to local governments, and Abbott's mandate which is basically a mandate for the entire state to be maskless.

Edited by BradInATX

Whatever happened to that woman?  Wasn't she the one whose house got raided with fully armed state police while he little kids were there making sudden movements as little kids so?  DeSantis managed to sweep that under the sand like Craig James standing over a hump at Daytona Beach, "What?   She's nothing, I mean...It's nothing...I'm just starting on a sand castle"

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whatever happened to that woman?  Wasn't she the one whose house got raided with fully armed state police while he little kids were there making sudden movements as little kids so?  DeSantis managed to sweep that under the sand like Craig James standing over a hump at Daytona Beach, "What?  It's nothing...I'm just starting on a sand castle"

No, Cuomo hired her.....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

That was obviously intentional. Let's see Miami vs. LA.

Honestly I think a chart that compares a city to an entire state; a state which is blatantly and unapologetically cooking their Covid numbers to look better than they actually are, is perfect for this thread.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No, Cuomo hired her.....

She must have answered the final interview question correctly then, "Can I call you if I'm having problems removing my 'hard drive'?"  

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are there any early data on suicides due to Covid-19?  I mean, not the virus itself, you know what I mean.  Like job loss, divorce, depression, isolation-induced loneliness?  I see that in the last 30 years, we tend to fluctuate in the U.S. between 30-40k.  I'd guess that about 80% of anything over that could be linked to Covid-19?  I'd think you can't attach 100% of the overage to Covid-19 because there's some people that are just gonna look for an excuse that particular year to do it, whatever is "trending."  

I found this.   I only skimmed it but suicides seemed to trend lower at least through the timeframe they have for 2020.  Drug overdoses seems way up it appears.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsrr/vsrr011-508.pdf

Meanwhile, in schools...

Dear Lake Travis ISD Parents and Guardians,

We are aware of Governor Abbott’s announcement today regarding a new executive order which rescinds restrictions on business occupancy and the statewide mask order effective Wednesday, March 10. We know this raises questions and results in mixed reactions among our school community.

The governor’s order issued today expressly indicates that, “public schools may operate as provided by, and under the minimum standard health protocols found in guidance issued by the Texas Education Agency.” The current public health guidance from the Texas Education Agency has not been updated to address the Governor’s most recent order. Therefore, we are not making any immediate changes. In the meantime, we will seek state and local guidance on this matter and will begin to assess the potential impact to our District and school operations.

The governor also stated, “Today’s announcement does not abandon safe practices that Texans have mastered over the past year. Instead, it is a reminder that each person has a role to play in their own personal safety and the safety of others.” Therefore, I ask that you remain vigilant and continue to follow the District’s current COVID protocols.

how did he order face coverings on businesses to begin with?  Are there a bunch of storefronts in Fort Worth with giant masks over them? 

if you're gonna make stupid proclamations, at least use a modicum of grammar. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I found this.   I only skimmed it but suicides seemed to trend lower at least through the timeframe they have for 2020.  Drug overdoses seems way up it appears.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsrr/vsrr011-508.pdf

May hash out differently just because of the vast economic impact, but life wasn't all bread and roses during major U.S. Wars either.  But suicide rates do tend to fall during wars/mass casualty events.  The theory being that we are programmed by nature to band together and stay alive to offset the losses of life to the rest of the tribe we know to be happening.  Maybe because we're doing so shitty in deaths on a per capita basis, we'll have proportionately fewer suicides?  Then again, won't take into account suicides a few years from now when this is all behind us, and people are still struggling with whatever they came out of this with.  

The overdose things seems way out of proportion.  It's been pretty much death by gun in 90% of suicides for decades in the U.S.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

May hash out differently just because of the vast economic impact, but life wasn't all bread and roses during major U.S. Wars either.  But suicide rates do tend to fall during wars/mass casualty events.  The theory being that we are programmed by nature to band together and stay alive to offset the losses of life to the rest of the tribe we know to be happening.  Maybe because we're doing so shitty in deaths on a per capita basis, we'll have proportionately fewer suicides?  Then again, won't take into account suicides a few years from now when this is all behind us, and people are still struggling with whatever they came out of this with.  

The overdose things seems way out of proportion.  It's been pretty much death by gun in 90% of suicides for decades in the U.S.  

I think this was just drug overdose in general not specific to being labeled a suicide but again I just skimmed it.

Also, im no longer going to be driving the speed limit or wear a seatbelt when driving.

Even though science and statistics have proven that its safer and saves lives, its just too much for me and I also feel like it restricts my personal freedoms. Do I have any evidence to back up my rationale for doing this? No.... but..... MURICA!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Also, im no longer going to be driving the speed limit or wear a seatbelt when driving.

Even though science and statistics have proven that its safer and saves lives, its just too much for me and I also feel like it restricts my personal freedoms. Do I have any evidence to back up my rationale for doing this? No.... but..... MURICA!

who's with me!! Belushi gif.  I bet you won't continue to wear your mask while driving either.

I'm thinking about not paying my taxes as a protest to Abbott's idiocy.  you know personal freedoms and such.

• Like 1

Abbott should add teachers to 1B.

Abbott should do a lot of things, but when your schedule is chalk full of posturing and political theater, not much room to do your job. So it goes.

The mask thing probably won’t have that big of an impact on the macro level. Good chunk of the state legit believes the pandemic is a horseshit Democrat Party hoax and behaves accordingly. Good chunk will keep working from home and social distancing. Plenty of businesses will continue to enforce masks, especially in big cities (bummed about HEB though, I like to shop in person; curbside or Whole Paycheck for now I guess). Vaccines and warmer weather coming along. Things will be worse than they would’ve been on an alternate timeline where he waits, say, two or three months to do this, and those deaths are on his hands, but the general trend line probably won’t change much.

The primary impact of this will be 1.) Distracting people from the fact that half the state lost power/water and was a national laughing stock two weeks ago, 2.) Fucking over the people who will be involuntarily exposed to significantly higher risk at work, 3.) Appeasing the mouthbreathing base in an effort to start retirement in the arms race for 2024 beyond.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Abbott should do a lot of things, but when your schedule is chalk full of posturing and political theater, not much room to do your job. So it goes.

The mask thing probably won’t have that big of an impact on the macro level. Good chunk of the state legit believes the pandemic is a horseshit Democrat Party hoax. Good chunk will keep working from home and social distancing. Plenty of businesses will continue to enforce masks, especially in big cities (bummed about HEB though, I like to shop in person; curbside or Whole Paycheck for now I guess). Vaccines and warmer weather coming along. Things will be worse than they would’ve been on an alternate timeline where he waits, say, two or three months to do this, and those deaths are on his hands, but the general trend line probably won’t change much.

The primary impact of this will be 1.) Distracting people from the fact that half the state lost power/water and was a national laughing stock two weeks ago, 2.) Fucking over the people who will be involuntarily exposed to significantly higher risk at work, 3.) Appeasing the mouthbreathing base in an effort to start retirement in the arms race for 2024 beyond.

all this because I suggested he add teachers to 1B?  ballgame 2 : electric boogaloo apparently.

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Public policy putting companies in untenable situations. Brilliant. 

My first thought was “those poor bastards at any restaurant, store or whatever that has a customers must wear a mask policy”. I think I’d quit before I tried to enforce a mask update all day every day on every dipshit that came through my place of work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My first thought was “those poor bastards at any restaurant, store or whatever that has a customers must wear a mask policy”. I think I’d quit before I tried to enforce a mask update all day every day on every dipshit that came through my place of work. 

Yeah. For anyone that has spent any time in a retail setting of any sort you know exactly how much of a cluster fuck this is going to be. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

you follow the speed limit?

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

eb0467055bd7d4189d8c601fc4d38ef5.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way.  He lives in Houston.  You get shot for driving the speed limit here.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ll still be wearing a mask for the foreseeable future regardless of the mandate. Until I’m fully vaccinated it is the best protection. I think it’s stupid to be ending it now if that is indeed what is going to happen.

The best protection is staying at home and not engaging with anyone else- or engaging only socially distanced and outside.  you pretty much aren’t getting this thing of thats your protocol.  
My FIL and MIL have serious comorbidity problems in addition to being olds. That’s essentially what they’ve done for a year now. They’ve got one shot in and getting their second one on 3/17. They are so excited. I’m very excited for them. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. For anyone that has spent any time in a retail setting of any sort you know exactly how much of a cluster fuck this is going to be. 

My other thought was- I wonder if restaurants will still make servers and hostesses wear masks. That will be interesting to see how it breaks down. Inside staff wearing masks probably makes some potential customers feel safer and probably pisses off other Potential customers. I’m glad my business isn’t really retail and I don’t really have to worry about that one. 

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My other thought was- I wonder if restaurants will still make servers and hostesses wear masks. That will be interesting to see how it breaks down. Inside staff wearing masks probably makes some potential customers feel safer and probably pisses off other Potential customers. I’m glad my business isn’t really retail and I don’t really have to worry about that one. 

its pretty simple.  if the restaurant/business says masks inside while you get to a table then you do it, if not, don't go in.   If you don't like that a business says don't have to wear mask then don't go in.

I don't care if a waiter wears one or doesn't.

anyone who makes a big deal of this either way is an asshole, IMO.  the business can do what it wants.  the manager might want to work the door for the next few weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its pretty simple.  if the restaurant/business says masks inside while you get to a table then you do it, if not, don't go in.   If you don't like that a business says don't have to wear mask then don't go in.

I don't care if a waiter wears one or doesn't.

anyone who makes a big deal of this either way is an asshole, IMO.  the business can do what it wants.  the manager might want to work the door for the next few weeks.

Its not about the businesses with this message

saying that you dont have to wear a mask and opening things up 100% is telling the public that the pandemic is over and people can let their guard down. Nothing could be further from the truth. The reason we only have 50k cases a day and 2k dead a day now is because of fucking masks and limitations. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Its not about the businesses with this message

saying that you dont have to wear a mask and opening things up 100% is telling the public that the pandemic is over and people can let their guard down. Nothing could be further from the truth. The reason we only have 50k cases a day and 2k dead a day now is because of fucking masks and limitations. 

Hold the phone here fuckknob. You’re saying we have averaged 2k deaths per day in the state of Texas since this started 12 months ago?

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Have u been living under a rock? You can still transmit the disease to others even with vaccination

Link????????? Did Israel confirm this?????

Sort of a big deal if true.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away