Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

Have you been living under a rock?  We have a million dollar male nurse that begs to differ.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Have u been living under a rock? You can still transmit the disease to others even with vaccination

and no, this mask mandate removal is actually kind of a big deal. Gives people a huge false sense of security when we still need to be hyper vigilant

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Have you been living under a rock?  We have a million dollar male nurse that begs to differ.

Please direct me to where it says vaccinated people can hang out with unvaccinated people that ARENT at low risk for severe disease

The majority of the US is at risk for severe course of covid because of our weight alone. Thats not even including age, blood pressure, diet, METS, etc. Saying “i got my shots, fuck the mask now” like you did last week and then bringing this up as your rationale/justification is laughable

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Please direct me to where it says vaccinated people can hang out with unvaccinated people that ARENT at low risk for severe disease

The majority of the US is at risk for severe course of covid because of our weight alone. Thats not even including age, blood pressure, diet, METS, etc. Saying “i got my shots, fuck the mask now” like you did last week and then bringing this up as your rationale/justification is laughable

Stop hanging out with sick, old, fat people. Problem solved. 

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You still doing the whole dog and pony show at work?

46 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

WTF is going on in the Czech Republic? McDonald Covid Orgies? 

It's weird because I swear there's a poster here who lives in Prague and was saying that they were doing really well early on, even re-opening faster than us based on there being almost zero community spread. But that was pretty early in the whole thing. They have the second worst death rate of any country besides San Marino.

Also,  that obesity rate for the Czech Republic is off, the data didn't copy and paste cleanly from the web. Thought I caught all the ones that were off. Czech is not the fattest country on Earth by 2x. Their death rate is terrible though.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

True story @Cheeseweasel There weren't any fat people in America until orange man entered the white house. He started taking out the fruits and vegetables out of the vending machines and inserted cheetos and taco bell. 

News flash, Vic Mackey has been sexually active since the Clinton administration, so this can’t be true.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's weird because I swear there's a poster here who lives in Prague and was saying that they were doing really well early on, even re-opening faster than us based on there being almost zero community spread. But that was pretty early in the whole thing. They have the second worst death rate of any country besides San Marino.

Also,  that obesity rate for the Czech Republic is off, the data didn't copy and paste cleanly from the web. Thought I caught all the ones that were off. Czech is not the fattest country on Earth by 2x. Their death rate is terrible though.

It wasn't on here, but I have a friend who is an expat in Brno, Czech Republic.  Early on, like back in June/July he was bragging on social media about how they'd beaten it, it wasn't even a thing there anymore, and was constantly lamenting how fat, lazy, and stupid Americans are for struggling with it so badly.

Well, he's not wrong, Americans can certainly be fat, lazy, and stupid.  But we don't hold a monopoly on it...

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

"FAT PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM WITH COVID"

"Remember when the guy you voted for repealed laws meant to fight childhood obesity and teach better eating habits?"

"LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT FAT PEOPLE ANYMORE"

Fat people are the problem with everything. 

Not me though, I'm husky. 

Shitty parents are shitty. Film at 11.

What we’ve found is that working poor dont care less, but have less time, less money, and less tools.

In US, there’s a strong correlation between poverty and obesity. And there’s a strong correlation between growing up poor and staying poor - more than we’ve seen in 100 years.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

What we’ve found is that working poor dont care less, but have less time, less money, and less tools.

In US, there’s a strong correlation between poverty and obesity. And there’s a strong correlation between growing up poor and staying poor - more than we’ve seen in 100 years.

It does not cost more to eat reasonably healthy.  That is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It does not cost more to eat reasonably healthy.  That is bullshit.

I agree with that.  The studies have been exhaustive...a family of 4 getting combo meals at Popeye's or McDonald's or wherever, you can built 12 healthy meals for that same amount of money from HEB.  It's a tired excuse that needs to end if we're gonna make meaningful progress.  Just like working class white families that clamor that they can't go eat a reasonable family meal at Chili's or Applebee's.  That's also bullshit, those places are not cheap, they're not working class prices.  They're $20+/person.  

Anyway, having said that...there still is a challenge of access to affordable, healthy foods.  People want to extend their food dollar, and get better stuff for their kids to eat, but it can be tough when you're miles away from a grocer with produce.  And your only options are a Dollar General and a Jack-in-the-Box.  HEB/Favor platform is making a dent in this, it's been an interesting "beta" test for underserved communities for a few years now.  Hope it can be modeled nationwide, particularly in midwest/northeast urban areas.  

17 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Also,  that obesity rate for the Czech Republic is off, the data didn't copy and paste cleanly from the web.

I was curious about that. My...internet research...didn’t concur with that.   I believe the country is full of beautiful 20 somethings randomly walking down the street at all times of the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I agree with that.  The studies have been exhaustive...a family of 4 getting combo meals at Popeye's or McDonald's or wherever, you can built 12 healthy meals for that same amount of money from HEB.  It's a tired excuse that needs to end if we're gonna make meaningful progress.  Just like working class white families that clamor that they can't go eat a reasonable family meal at Chili's or Applebee's.  That's also bullshit, those places are not cheap, they're not working class prices.  They're $20+/person.  

Anyway, having said that...there still is a challenge of access to affordable, healthy foods.  People want to extend their food dollar, and get better stuff for their kids to eat, but it can be tough when you're miles away from a grocer with produce.  And your only options are a Dollar General and a Jack-in-the-Box.  HEB/Favor platform is making a dent in this, it's been an interesting "beta" test for underserved communities for a few years now.  Hope it can be modeled nationwide, particularly in midwest/northeast urban areas.  

Rice and beans are cheap.  Frozen veggies are cheap.  Fresh fruit and veggies in season are cheap. A rotisserie chicken and bag of salad is cheap.

My family goes to Haiti every year to assist in an orphanage and school we sponsor. You want to talk about challenges? A lot of those families spend a couple hours a day schlepping 5 gallon buckets of water back and forth to the nearest well. Their diets are largely rice and beans. They cook over fires in the one or two pots they own. They are not fat. In fact they all appear to be a healthy weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree guys.  My point was the financial evidence is overwhelming, I think even the biggest skeptics are coming around on that.  Just that it wouldn't hurt anyone to pay a little more attention to the physical/geographic challenges.  They can certainly be overcome, most already are, just a friendly reminder it's something we can easily address without having to overcome the former lunacy around the issue.  

18 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Death Rate actual vs. expected based on obesity rates. Dotted line is expected death rate (deaths per 100k people) based on obesity rate.

Above the dotted line is bad.

image.thumb.png.a185a6511732cf915a57615aa66cb867.png

So we don't get to use obesity as our excuse. Even accounting for that, we're one of the worst performing countries in the world. The countries directly above and below us in terms of obesity rates have 14% and 25% of the deaths per capita that we have. But hey, we did better than Sweden at least.

Why are we smoking the UK? That seems like the most relevant comp culturally

24 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Walmart is everywhere and they sell rice, beans, fruits, and veg.

ssshhh, this should be our little secret.  why should someone have to eat walmart fruits and veggies and not Whole Foods super fruits/veggies?

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Why are we smoking the UK? That seems like the most relevant comp culturally

The UK has been terrible. One of the worst countries in the world in terms of Covid outcomes. The UK has done an admirable job of mimicking the US' population of fat entitled hillbillies.

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I agree guys.  My point was the financial evidence is overwhelming, I think even the biggest skeptics are coming around on that.  Just that it wouldn't hurt anyone to pay a little more attention to the physical/geographic challenges.  They can certainly be overcome, most already are, just a friendly reminder it's something we can easily address without having to overcome the former lunacy around the issue.  

Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The UK has been terrible. One of the worst countries in the world in terms of Covid outcomes. The UK has done an admirable job of mimicking the US' population of fat entitled hillbillies.

It isn't just the hillbillies who are fats. Pretty much everyone but the Asians.

spacer.png

In terms of actual Covid deaths vs. expected based off of obesity rates, we are 21st worst out of 160 countries.  Based on obesity rate, expected deaths 96 per 100,000. We ended up at 160 per. If we tracked with the expected, we'd have had around 200,000 fewer Covid deaths than we have.

image.thumb.png.fd77534e22ce0b809aa6825b1026aa3a.png

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

In terms of actual Covid deaths vs. expected based off of obesity rates, we are 21st worst out of 160 countries.  Based on obesity rate, expected deaths 96 per 100,000. We ended up at 160 per. If we tracked with the expected, we'd have had around 200,000 fewer Covid deaths than we have.

image.thumb.png.fd77534e22ce0b809aa6825b1026aa3a.png

Assuming there is any sort of uniformity in Covid death attributions, which I seriously doubt.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Assuming there is any sort of uniformity in Covid death attributions, which I seriously doubt.

This is true. The excess death numbers make it pretty clear that we are underreporting ours.

China's numbers are pretty laughable too.

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

In terms of actual Covid deaths vs. expected based off of obesity rates, we are 21st worst out of 160 countries. 

It would be interesting to see the numbers. We not only have obesity problems, but MORBIDLY obese problems. Travelling around the world, you see obese people but not the Superfat Cart Driving Morbidly obese people we have here. They are walking corpses.

10 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

MORBIDLY obese problems

The death rates increase at overweight status not just obese. We have 50% of our adult population that fits into this category. Comparative Covid death rates across countries have too many variables to compare apples to apples.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

The death rates increase at overweight status not just obese. We have 50% of our adult population that fits into this category. Comparative Covid death rates across countries have too many variables to compare apples to apples.

"IT'S BECAUSE EVERYONE IS FAT"

"IT'S MORE COMPLEX THAN JUST LOOKING AT FAT PEOPLE!!"

The mental gymnastics some of you put yourselves through to rationalize away America's objectively poor pandemic response is quite a ride.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

The mental gymnastics some of you put yourselves through to rationalize away America's objectively poor pandemic response is quite a ride.

I think considering the size and scope of the problem, we did pretty good. We had a vaccine within 9 months. Most States balanced keeping the economy going vs. health and did a decent job walking that tightrope. Most companies managed thru the crisis despite the huge burdens. 

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

Houston has found the UK variant in most of their wastewater treatment plants and says they have community spread. Asking people to mask up and distance. 

That ship has sailed. Nobody cares. Those that do care have been vaccinated or are in the process of getting vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We had a vaccine within 9 months. 

This was excellent. We did a great job here and America once again led the world on this one

Most companies managed thru the crisis despite the huge burdens. 

We'll see, but we won't know long-term impact for awhile. I think VCs and mega corporations gobbling up the small guys (see: Alamo Drafthouse) is tragic. Even the very early returns show that the pandemic has absolutely hammered wealth inequality almost exponentially, which is a huge problem. Many in the service industries have suffered financial catastrophe. And we might have an impending rent/mortgage crisis, the severity of which is TBD.

If we do end up doing better than most economically, which is still out to the jury, the question is; was it worth 200,000 people who are unnecessarily dead? I don't know. That's sort of a moral judgement that won't be that interesting to talk about because everyone has their own compass in terms of weighing economic wellbeing vs. death.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If we do end up doing better than most economically, which is still out to the jury, the question is; was it worth 200,000 people who are unnecessarily dead? I don't know. That's sort of a moral judgement that won't be that interesting to talk about because everyone has their own compass in terms of weighing economic wellbeing vs. death.

This is why we have actuaries.  They'll let us know what the right decision was, in short order!

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away