Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

20 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fuck (the government and anyone in china involved in the slave trade, murder of dogs, eating of bats, and polluting the environment) China

Do you have any idea how many peoples feelings you have hurt with this post? Repent!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Gee I wonder what’s causing this new spike.  

Considering that the states where cases are rising the fastest (Michigan by far, then NJ, PA, MN) still require masks, you tell us?

Meanwhile, let's see how Texas is doing since Gov Abbott sent thousands of olds to an early grave rescinded the mask mandate.

On March 2, when he announced the order, the state looked like this:

Order rescinded the masks went into effect on March 10:

So with no mask mandate, we're undoubtedly going to see a spike in all the numbers?  Right?  Right?

Well...

Now, I'm certainly no Dr Fauci or Dr Fiegl Ding, but a decrease in the statewide 7 day average from about 4500 per day at the beginning of the month to about half that seems...pretty good?

#data

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I was in Montana yesterday. High mask usage. I spent a week in Montana earlier this month. High mask usage. 

equating a statewide mask mandate or lack thereof with actual mask usage is not going to work. 

in Wyoming, masks usage was low before any store or government mandate, was low during mandates, and is now now after mandates were lifted.  My Albertsons still has signs requiring masks but if I’m lucky, half the shoppers are masked.  But also in Wyoming you have to really work hard to be close to people for any length of time. 

So in summary your graphics are useless as they don’t show the actual usage data. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was in Montana yesterday. High mask usage. I spent a week in Montana earlier this month. High mask usage. 

equating a statewide mask mandate or lack thereof with actual mask usage is not going to work. 

in Wyoming, masks usage was low before any store or government mandate, was low during mandates, and is now now after mandates were lifted.  My Albertsons still has signs requiring masks but if I’m lucky, half the shoppers are masked.  But also in Wyoming you have to really work hard to be close to people for any length of time. 

So in summary your graphics are useless as they don’t show the actual usage data. 

But your anecdotal experiences do?

Gee I wonder why hospitalizations are going down. It's certainly correlated to masks or lack thereof and not the majority of seniors being vaccinated!

Yet another instance where you show that your disdain for "dishonest media" only extends to liberals and that you have zero issue posting misleading and dishonest headlines if they fit your narrative.

58 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Doesn’t sound like mask mandates are needed then, does it?

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I believe that masks were needed over the past year. Going forward maybe not so much as the most vulnerable that wish to be vaccinated have been or will be fairly soon.  

I believe that using a mask to protect others around you is courteous, shows respect for others in your community, and is good manners just like washing hands after you take a shit, or covering your mouth when you sneeze and yawn. 

I believe that different communities have different values and beliefs, and that if a community is unlikely to wear masks without a mandate but would wear them with a mandate, then a mandate is appropriate.  A mandate in a place that is wearing them anyway is redundant but not harmful. A mandate in a place that will ignore it isn’t helpful but not harmful either.  It should have always been a more localized decision, until localities started shipping patients out of town because they couldn’t handle the volume. Then it’s either forced action or the other localities have the right to refuse the patients. 

Statewide action, in most cases, is too broad a brush.  Similarly, removal of a statewide mask mandate does not remove county, city, or municipality mask mandates that may be in place so much of a state may go unchanged from state level actions- unless you are Texas and your state government keeps suing local governments over their rights.  How very small, local government conservative of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

We ate at a restaurant for this first time in several months last night.  We had to wait about 10 minutes outside, but I would guess only about 20% of the people were wearing masks while waiting outside.  There was zero social distancing either.  We were wearing our masks and tried to stay away from people, but it was damn near impossible to do.  It was great to be out and feel normal again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pretty much this.

Team Doom seems to be saying "If cases go up, it's because we don't have a mask mandate.  But if cases go down, it's because the population is being responsible and everyone's wearing masks (as if we have accurate data to back that up by state).

It's very clear to anybody who isn't lying to themselves that Covid spread is regional, seasonal, and thoroughly untethered to mask mandates.

16 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Pretty much this.

Team Doom seems to be saying "If cases go up, it's because we don't have a mask mandate.  But if cases go down, it's because the population is being responsible and everyone's wearing masks (as if we have accurate data to back that up by state).

It's very clear to anybody who isn't lying to themselves that Covid spread is regional, seasonal, and thoroughly untethered to mask mandates.

March is probably the month with the greatest amount of discrepancy of sunshine between the southern states and northern states. Kind of telling in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

We ate at a restaurant for this first time in several months last night.  We had to wait about 10 minutes outside, but I would guess only about 20% of the people were wearing masks while waiting outside.  There was zero social distancing either.  We were wearing our masks and tried to stay away from people, but it was damn near impossible to do.  It was great to be out and feel normal again. 

People like you absolutely amaze me. There’s no way I could’ve stayed home all these months. Having too many kids forces me out, but even without them I would’ve been out and about long ago. 

People like you absolutely amaze me. There’s no way I could’ve stayed home all these months. Having too many kids forces me out, but even without them I would’ve been out and about long ago. 

We’ve picked up food and been out and about to friends’ houses and things like that. We’ve eaten at a couple of places on the patio, but that’s about it. It worked for us as neither of us got Covid and we’ve both had one shot now. The finish line is close. I’m ready for things to be normal again and last night was a big step towards that for us.
  • Like 1

We went masked up to Chuy’s in Round Rock for HH at about 3:15 Wednesday. Nobody in the waiting area, and half the tables going outside. Nobody, including us, kept masks on while eating & drinking, but put them on leaving.
Three weeks ago we dined inside for early HH at the Santiago’s in north Round Rock because it was too windy outside. We had the main dining room to ourselves until we were about to leave, when another couple was seated on the other side.

49A41761-B76F-44EC-942A-67B77F289D05.jpeg

D2565662-D434-47FF-9296-F4F6B6625A23.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Hundreds of millions of Americans stayed home for a long time.  So we didn't get one another infected.  I don't know if you've read any of the literature on how Covid-19 spreads.  It was awesome going from a half dozen political and fundraiser events a week to zero for well over a year.  I don't miss any of it, particularly the people.  

Only downside to getting my second vaccine yesterday (aside from this splitting headache) is people are coming out of the woodwork, "Hey, it's been so long...let's get together soon!"  Uh, if I didn't call you the year before Covid-19, and only called you the year of Covid-19 to make sure you were okay, odds are when it comes to getting together in person...I'm all set, thanks.  

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Hundreds of millions of Americans stayed home for a long time.  So we didn't get one another infected.  I don't know if you've read any of the literature on how Covid-19 spreads.  It was awesome going from a half dozen political and fundraiser events a week to zero for well over a year.  I don't miss any of it, particularly the people.  

This.  I don't want to go back to normal. Business travel sucks. Conferences generally suck and are a waste of time. F2F meetings suck. Fuck all that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This.  I don't want to go back to normal. Business travel sucks. Conferences generally suck and are a waste of time. F2F meetings suck. Fuck all that shit. 

Counterpoint: expense account whiskey and steaks don’t suck. All of that consumed with someone other than the same family members every day doesn’t suck. Road trip Whataburger doesn’t suck. Airport bar drinking sessions checking out the talent don’t suck.

The way most people constantly touch their masks and wear them, I don’t think cloth masks do shit.  They’re a placebo. 

There doesn’t seem to be any correlation with high mask compliance and decreased deaths and hospitalizations.  
We have posted numerous studies showing otherwise. We can explain it, but we can't help you understand it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm so thirsty to travel that I'm actually excited about business trips. Got Atlanta burbs and Cincy in April and I can't wait. My clients with one exception are all pretty bad ass people and I haven't been alone in over a year. Might even get wild and have drinks until 10pm.

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint: expense account whiskey and steaks don’t suck. All of that consumed with someone other than the same family members every day doesn’t suck. Road trip Whataburger doesn’t suck. Airport bar drinking sessions checking out the talent don’t suck.

Fair point.  I do miss drinking good bourbon and good wine for "business purposes."  And there is something to be said for a good night's sleep in a nice hotel, but I don't sleep well on the road anyway so that's kinda of a wash.  I've never given a fuck about accruing miles despite many years with about 100k miles each.  The solitude and quiet is kinda nice when business traveling.  But yeah, as stated above, the fucking conference circuit---even the really high-end ones, a fucking beating.  

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

You sound like you make poor choices, I feel sorry for your “too many kids”.  Wear a rubber.  Unless you’re in Haiti.  

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You sound like you make poor choices, I feel sorry for your “too many kids”.  Wear a rubber.  Unless you’re in Haiti.  

$100 bucks!?!  Let's make it $200, $200!  

I'm in Whitefish now and every restaurant front door looks like home. Mask required to enter regardless of what some bald fuck says.

47 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It was a joke.

4 kids. Life is both awesome and crazy. Just doing my part to make the world a better place. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:
7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:
The way most people constantly touch their masks and wear them, I don’t think cloth masks do shit.  They’re a placebo. 

There doesn’t seem to be any correlation with high mask compliance and decreased deaths and hospitalizations.  

We have posted numerous studies showing otherwise. We can explain it, but we can't help you understand it.

The ones that say if you properly wear a cloth mask, which no one does, covid transmission may be reduced by two percent?

That’s some game changing shit right there.  

Today was nearly a totally normal day.  Kids did their soccer thing, had lunch in outdoor patio setting, dropped them off, went for a drive, stopped and had a couple beers on way back. God it feels good to be this close to putting this in the rear view mirror. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I ate out twice between March and September. Now it’s back to normal for me sans masks. We ate inside at several Disney world restaurants this last week and before that I was dipping my toe into the pool.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away