Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I bet you're a hoot at the Q meetings.

actually, that made me remember a funny interaction I had with my Q-disciple neighbor.  Early on she said masks were bullshit because they trapped in Carbon Dioxide that we would continue to breathe in...which was deadly.  I think we all probably remember reading/seeing somebody in America that also believed that.  So instead of the surgeon or painter example, I asked her if was CPR certified and she is.  So if we breathe out deadly CO2, how is mouth-to-mouth safe?  Wouldn't it just kill the person in duress even faster?  She promised to go to some research and get back to me, but neither of us mentioned it again. 

It amazes me the cross-section of Qanon believers there are in this country.  There really is no "typical" demographic.  Levity aside, it's kinda weird to me how quiet Qanon has gotten in the last several weeks.  I don't follow Q, but the chatter amongst the followers has gotten real quiet.  Or maybe they were instructed to be quiet about it to the rest of us.  But something is much different than it has been for the last year.  And I don't think it's because 25 million Americans just suddenly realized they've been duped.  I've been asking Immamac to put a Q page up on DT forum so a few folks could come out of the woodwork.  I'm genuinely curious to get to know what got them interested, because I know people in real life that are down that rabbithole and I want to know how they got there. 

And as pandemic hopefully continues to wind down, I want to know what they're gonna glob onto next.  So we can monetize the fuck out of it.  Scientology is almost 70 years old, locks people in far deeper than Qanon and Catholocism in terms of lifestyle, committment, and money...but they're only 20,000 strong.  Catholicism has a Billion practicing with moderate influence over lifestyyle, committment, and money...but it also took them 2000 years to get there and I think they're on the backslope of growth/assets.  Qanon may be more invisible, and has wildly varying degrees of lifestyle and committment, but two things blow me away...it is incredibly ripe for financial exploitation especially since so many believers are actually of decent financial means  The second is 20-30 million believers in just 3 years.  That type of growth is just surreal to me.  Look who was all around this whole time.  How did we not see this?  People have always been starved for answers, this is something altogether different.

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That whole spin article is utter nonsense.  Funny how "unintentional injury" had a massive spike.  Further, if you read it, it's provisional data.  

More COVID suicides than COVID deaths in children

You counter information compiled by the government with the American Institute for Economic Research? A right wing think tank that advocated herd immunity?

https://www.desmogblog.com/2020/10/26/american-institute-economic-research-great-barrington-declaration-herd-immunity-covid-19

The institution behind the Great Barrington Declaration, the American Institute for Economic Research (AIER), is a free-market think tank tied to funding from the Koch petrochemical and industrial empire and an investment firm with significant holdings in fossil fuels.

The American Institute for Economic Research (AIER), located in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, describes itself as “one of the oldest and most respected nonpartisan economic research and advocacy organizations in the country” and “dedicated to developing and promoting the ideas of pure freedom and private governance.” However, it is more broadly aligned with libertarian ideology hostile to government intervention and regulatory policies.

AIER operates a program called the Bastiat Society that promotes its free-market, anti-government ideology and partners with other Koch-funded think tanks, networks, and organizations that are some of the most prominent disseminators of disinformation on climate science and climate policies. These include the Atlas Network, State Policy Network, Manhattan Institute, Cato Institute, Charles Koch Institute, Competitive Enterprise Institute, and others.

AIER is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. According to publicly available 990 filings reviewed by DeSmog, the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation contributed $68,100 to the organization in 2018. The Atlas Economic Research Foundation (also known as the Atlas Network), which supports free market thinks tanks around the world that are known messengers of climate denial, gave $54,133 to the American Institute for Economic Research in 2018. The Shell Oil Company Foundation has donated a small amount, about $500 total, between 2013 and 2017.

This free-market think tank has further links to the fossil fuel industry through American Investment Services (AIS), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the organization. AIS says it is a “separate legal entity” that “conducts its investment advisory business independent of AIER’s day-to-day operations.”

But earnings from this investment firm, valued at nearly $285 million as of this year, help fund AIER, which appoints the firm’s board of directors.

American Investment Services has holdings in various polluting energy and petrochemical corporations such as Chevron, ExxonMobil, Dow Chemical, Duke Energy, General Electric, and Eversource Energy, as well as tobacco giant Phillip Morris

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

actually, that made me remember a funny interaction I had with my Q-disciple neighbor.  Early on she said masks were bullshit because they trapped in Carbon Dioxide that we would continue to breathe in...which was deadly.  I think we all probably remember reading/seeing somebody in America that also believed that.  So instead of the surgeon or painter example, I asked her if was CPR certified and she is.  So if we breathe out deadly CO2, how is mouth-to-mouth safe?  Wouldn't it just kill the person in duress even faster?  She promised to go to some research and get back to me, but neither of us mentioned it again. 

It amazes me the cross-section of Qanon believers there are in this country.  There really is no "typical" demographic.  Levity aside, it's kinda weird to me how quiet Qanon has gotten in the last several weeks.  I don't follow Q, but the chatter amongst the followers has gotten real quiet.  Or maybe they were instructed to be quiet about it to the rest of us.  But something is much different than it has been for the last year.  And I don't think it's because 25 million Americans just suddenly realized they've been duped.  I've been asking Immamac to put a Q page up on DT forum so a few folks could come out of the woodwork.  I'm genuinely curious to get to know what got them interested, because I know people in real life that are down that rabbithole and I want to know how they got there. 

And as pandemic hopefully continues to wind down, I want to know what they're gonna glob onto next.  So we can monetize the fuck out of it.  Scientology is almost 70 years old, locks people in far deeper than Qanon and Catholocism in terms of lifestyle, committment, and money...but they're only 20,000 strong.  Catholicism has a Billion practicing with moderate influence over lifestyyle, committment, and money...but it also took them 2000 years to get there and I think they're on the backslope of growth/assets.  Qanon may be more invisible, and has wildly varying degrees of lifestyle and committment, but two things blow me away...it is incredibly ripe for financial exploitation especially since so many believers are actually of decent financial means  The second is 20-30 million believers in just 3 years.  That type of growth is just surreal to me.  Look who was all around this whole time.  How did we not see this?  People have always been starved for answers, this is something altogether different.

I regret I have not encountered an actual, legitimate Q person. I genuinely want to interact with someone that believes in Jewish Space Lazers (I think that's part of it but honestly not 100% sure).

Edited by Kyle
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I've been asking Immamac to put a Q page up on DT forum so a few folks could come out of the woodwork.

I see no evidence of any Q faithful here. There are Q-adjacent folk and Q-enablers, but not full blown Q'ers, which a testament to our DT murder of crows.

I don't know the difference between faithful (there isn't anybody alive that believes in 101% of any doctrine or philosophy or religion), adjacent, and enablers.  Just math.  Looking at the demographics of Q believers (state of residence, urban/suburban/exurban/rural, gender, race, education level, income level, voting history, political and religious affiliations, etc.).  Barebone statistics say there are least a few dozen on here, maybe more.  THey don't talk about it because they don't feel it's an open and safe space to do so like they do on texags and tigerdroppings.  But I think one should be created for them, they can log-in under an alternate handle/avatar and can have one of us bounced out altogether for being in appropriate or annoying.  I'm not jumping on any of those chan or deep-web sites, but I would be fascinated to just read about it on here for a week. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I haven’t seen this photo in a while. My favorite part is his female companion. 

She's preparing to take a sip of water clearly. Q photoshopped it out so you cannot see it.

Edited by Kyle
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I don't know the difference between faithful (there isn't anybody alive that believes in 101% of any doctrine or philosophy or religion), adjacent, and enablers.  Just math.  Looking at the demographics of Q believers (state of residence, urban/suburban/exurban/rural, gender, race, education level, income level, voting history, political and religious affiliations, etc.).  Barebone statistics say there are least a few dozen on here, maybe more.  THey don't talk about it because they don't feel it's an open and safe space to do so like they do on texags and tigerdroppings.  But I think one should be created for them, they can log-in under an alternate handle/avatar and can have one of us bounced out altogether for being in appropriate or annoying.  I'm not jumping on any of those chan or deep-web sites, but I would be fascinated to just read about it on here for a week. 

Season 10 Story GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I have no clue what Q is other than the tip you stick in your ear. Especially when the predictable Cloak Roomers come in.

I get the sense that the Q strawman-bogeyman conspiracy likely has outgrown the actual Q conspiracy thing.

And like Larry, I'm looking to elevate small talk to medium talk.  

Imagine how much more fun conferences and fundraisers would be if you could go from "How'd you get involved with this charity?" to "Now the blood from the babies the elites consume to stay full of vitality...do they put it directly on the pizzas or drink it later?"  and the ice-breaker jokes would be so  much better "Say, did you hear the one about the Pope, Jack Dorsey, and Jenny McCarthy.  I'll tell you after the breakout, but needless to say...those aren't buoys in the twitter pic."  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I am just not seeing the audience on the DT.  In hindsight, I think we will see Q as an confluence of several conspiracy theories around the old Lyndon LaRouche movement, which, like locusts, amalgamate every few years or so.  

Q is modern LaRouche, imho:  "there is a conspiracy that began with the ancient Egyptians and the Queen." 

It will reappear in 17 years as some other conspiracy, but will always end with the Queen of England and the Rothschilds. 

Q'ers don't need a platform; they need a world history refresher. 

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You counter information compiled by the government with the American Institute for Economic Research? A right wing think tank that advocated herd immunity?

https://www.desmogblog.com/2020/10/26/american-institute-economic-research-great-barrington-declaration-herd-immunity-covid-19

No, as posted, I think they show-horned them under "unintentional Injuries".  The whole story gives me skeptical hippo eyes when all you heard about all year were domestic disputes, violence, and suicides were spiking.  

I, personally, find this pretty shocking and suspicious considering the numerous reports of suicide hotlines ringing off the hook, the CDC report saying 25% of young adults had seriously considered suicide, etc. Suicide information is usually not available for a couple of years, so maybe that's at play here?

It simply defies logic that the suicide rate actually decreased during lockdowns and isolation. Of course it would be a good thing if that actually happened, it just seems really illogical.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And like Larry, I'm looking to elevate small talk to medium talk.  

Imagine how much more fun conferences and fundraisers would be if you could go from "How'd you get involved with this charity?" to "Now the blood from the babies the elites consume to stay full of vitality...do they put it directly on the pizzas or drink it later?"  and the ice-breaker jokes would be so  much better "Say, did you hear the one about the Pope, Jack Dorsey, and Jenny McCarthy.  I'll tell you after the breakout, but needless to say...those aren't buoys in the twitter pic."  

You seem to know more about Q than anybody. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

I wonder if it's due to the fact that they are the "last man standing" with the vast majority of vaccines going to older people and most of the cases of Covid have not been kids.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:38 AM, Heme Doc said:

Thanks for the reply.  I think it’s highly likely B117 spreads more readily among kids (the same as adults) and I suspect we will get more data on this soon.  Hopefully the FDA will expand the Pfizer authorization to younger kids (ages 11-15) soon.  

Over the past 10 days, we've had multiple friends, in two different states (here in Texas and and Oregon), say their kids were diagnosed with covid, after presenting symptoms.  I found that odd, as in the past, it seemed like almost everybody we knew, whose kids had it, the kids were asymptomatic and it was only discovered after somebody else in the family tested positive.

But it's only three families, and we've had a year of this shit, and so it's only anecdotal, but just odd as hell that within 10 days, we know three separate families with kids under the age of 9, that had actual symptoms. Nothing serious - nobody was hospitalized, and they all had to be quarantined (because of school), but they actually saw doctors, so it's not some Karen saying "oh my kid probably has it".

Two of them mentioned it on Facebook, and then a shitshow of drama ensued from the fucking idiot "covid is not really bad, it's like the flu" relatives/friends, so yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from them if they've heard anything about the B117 stuff.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Two of them mentioned it on Facebook, and then a shitshow of drama ensued from the fucking idiot "covid is not really bad, it's like the flu" relatives/friends, so yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from them if they've heard anything about the B117 stuff.

Good way to figure out who to eliminate from your life. Fuck those idiots.

Some people:  masks don’t work because the n95 only filters down to 0.3 microns and the virus is about 0.2 microns. (Let’s put aside the fact that the virus is almost always riding on a saliva droplet that is larger in size, as that isn’t my point here)

some, maybe many, of the same people:  you get hypoxia from masks because the CO2 can’t escape. 

the size of a CO2 molecule is 0.00033 microns.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Levity aside, it's kinda weird to me how quiet Qanon has gotten in the last several weeks.  I don't follow Q, but the chatter amongst the followers has gotten real quiet.  

Nothing they predicted actually came to pass. It's like telling a group of idiots that the next passing comet is a spaceship that's going to take the true believers into space, and then a comet passes by, nothing happens, and the "believers" are like "you fucking scammed us, fuck you, I'm going to find something else crazy to believe in!" Plus, Ron Watkins told everybody to chill out and get a life and it's more about the friends they made or some shit.

Also, the biggest social media platforms finally started ditching the craziest of the batshit nuts, which cut down on their misinformation and recruitment a lot.  Hard to get the word out about lizard people and mind control vaccines if nobody can hear you.

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I've been asking Immamac to put a Q page up on DT forum so a few folks could come out of the woodwork.  I'm genuinely curious to get to know what got them interested, because I know people in real life that are down that rabbithole and I want to know how they got there. 

34 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I regret I have not encountered an actual, legitimate Q person. I genuinely want to interact with someone that believes in Jewish Space Lazers (I think that's part of it but honestly not 100% sure).

34 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I see no evidence of any Q faithful here. There are Q-adjacent folk and Q-enablers, but not full blown Q'ers, which a testament to our DT murder of crows.

What washparkhorn said.  We are not TexAgs, and for all of our shitposting, Surly has mostly educated users and so you will find few Q faithful here.

We are just not a crowd of posters that believe in lizard people, that vaccines are Bill Gates's way of injecting tracking chips into us, and that chemtrails are mind control chemicals (never mind the fact that it'd be easier for the government to dump such chemicals in the water supply, rather than an incredibly inefficient distribution system like fucking contrails).

And Kyle, consider yourself lucky - I've got Q people in my family, and among friends/former co-workers, and it's not pleasant. Every single one of them seems to have something wrong in their lives, whether it's financial issues, health issues, self-esteem issues, romantic issues (or lack thereof), etc. Q was the "perfect storm" to suck these people and their problems in, and make them think that nothing is their fault, etc.

Covid really ramped things up for them with the isolation and all (for all of their bluster about covid is a hoax, the ones with serious health issues seemed to tread careful when out and about). Unfortunately a shitload of them are against the vaccines, but hopefully we will get things back to semi-normal later this year, and these people will relax and fade back into the woodwork and keep their YouTube videos and stuff to themselves.

I've been trying to turn the people I know who are Q fans into UFO fans, and hopefully that helps.  The UFO people were always a lot more chill than the Q idiots.

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Honestly, I'd like to have a conversation with a Q person. I need some comedy in my life.

Find somebody in your family who has a mental illness, it's pretty much the same thing. Like I said, everybody I know that got into it, had some serious issues in their personal lives.

Or, if you have an anti-vaccine type that you know of, it's that person taken to an 11.  At least some of the anti-vaccine types may have had an experience in the past that led them to their beliefs.  Not all, but some may have had an actual experience that screwed with them a bit, and made them distrustful. Others may have this whole "everything organic, nothing processed, nothing injected into my body, I'm 100% pure motherfucking natural stuff!" and while I disagree with it, I can kind of respect it.

But the Q folks have got issues that were already wrecking them mentally, and then Q comes along and gives them something/somebody else to blame.

I hope a few years down the road, somebody can go back and try and figure out the impact that the Qanon crowd had on us as a nation fucking around and finding out with covid-19.

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://ca.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/recalls/966561-health-canada-investigates-potentially-toxic-masks-after-recall/

sounds like the graphene liner (lolwut) was shedding dust, causing lung irritation along the same lines as asbestos dust or fiberglass dust. Stick to simple 3-ply surgical or cloth masks with a good face fit

For the record, I didn’t mean this thread, I meant the whole site at large.  There’s gotta be a few thousand registered users/lurkers, right?   That’s where I got my “several dozen” estimate from.  

How many are we, like 1500-2000?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nothing they predicted actually came to pass. It's like telling a group of idiots that the next passing comet is a spaceship that's going to take the true believers into space, and then a comet passes by, nothing happens, and the "believers" are like "you fucking scammed us, fuck you, I'm going to find something else crazy to believe in!" Plus, Ron Watkins told everybody to chill out and get a life and it's more about the friends they made or some shit.

Also, the biggest social media platforms finally started ditching the craziest of the batshit nuts, which cut down on their misinformation and recruitment a lot.  Hard to get the word out about lizard people and mind control vaccines if nobody can hear you.

What washparkhorn said.  We are not TexAgs, and for all of our shitposting, Surly has mostly educated users and so you will find few Q faithful here.

We are just not a crowd of posters that believe in lizard people, that vaccines are Bill Gates's way of injecting tracking chips into us, and that chemtrails are mind control chemicals (never mind the fact that it'd be easier for the government to dump such chemicals in the water supply, rather than an incredibly inefficient distribution system like fucking contrails).

And Kyle, consider yourself lucky - I've got Q people in my family, and among friends/former co-workers, and it's not pleasant. Every single one of them seems to have something wrong in their lives, whether it's financial issues, health issues, self-esteem issues, romantic issues (or lack thereof), etc. Q was the "perfect storm" to suck these people and their problems in, and make them think that nothing is their fault, etc.

Covid really ramped things up for them with the isolation and all (for all of their bluster about covid is a hoax, the ones with serious health issues seemed to tread careful when out and about). Unfortunately a shitload of them are against the vaccines, but hopefully we will get things back to semi-normal later this year, and these people will relax and fade back into the woodwork and keep their YouTube videos and stuff to themselves.

I've been trying to turn the people I know who are Q fans into UFO fans, and hopefully that helps.  The UFO people were always a lot more chill than the Q idiots.

The closest I have is a Facebook friend who I grew up with. Funny enough he was our elementary class clown. He's always posting crazy stuff on Facebook, but I am not sure if it is Q ... again, really the only thing I know about it is what I hear other people talking about from a CR perspective. As far as I can tell he smokes A LOT of weed ... and his stuff is a mix of pro-weed, Rothschild (SP for Brisket?), etc., stuff. I think his is a mix of Nation of Islam and general conspiracy stuff like Jewish coins show the 9/11 attacks ... 

Agree 100% on your later post ... there definitely is a type that gets sucked into these kinds of conspiracies ... usually trying to fill a hole somewhere emotionally, etc. <off topic warning> Broadly, as Christianity continues to decline in the West, I think many have made "politics" their religion whether it is Q or TDS.

Edited by Kyle

Post image

Where does this thread fall - in general - on this contrived spectrum?

My sense is 90%+ upper left - as high as 99% - who drive this thread. 

The rest is just circus and bread - irrelevant to policy - and wickedly adrift. That's entertainment. A different sector of the economy.

Serious people still take it seriously and act that way in public. It's common courtesy. Minding one's manners is a lost art. We have too many clowns. (present company excluded, of course).

Be kind and respectful of others. That used to be a Texas virtue. Perhaps it still is.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Post image

Where does this thread fall - in general - on this contrived spectrum?

My sense is 90%+ upper left - as high as 99% - who drive this thread. 

The rest is just circus and bread - irrelevant to policy - and wickedly adrift. That's entertainment. A different sector of the economy.

Serious people still take it seriously and act that way in public. It's common courtesy. Minding one's manners is a lost art. We have too many clowns. (present company excluded, of course).

Be kind and respectful of others. That used to be a Texas virtue. Perhaps it still is.

Hey go fuck yourself asshole 

Side note, went to a clients office this morning and it is I think probably the first place I’ve been inside that didn’t require masks. 

They had these dope UV light deals that a guy was dragging around that kills airborne viruses (COVID included). They just set it up in a room or area for like 5 minutes then move onto the next spot.  Then come back the next day. They also had portable ones.  I had heard about the ones on your air return that you could install on your home HVAC system, but this was the first portable one I have seen.

22 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Side note, went to a clients office this morning and it is I think probably the first place I’ve been inside that didn’t require masks. 

They had these dope UV light deals that a guy was dragging around that kills airborne viruses (COVID included). They just set it up in a room or area for like 5 minutes then move onto the next spot.  Then come back the next day. They also had portable ones.  I had heard about the ones on your air return that you could install on your home HVAC system, but this was the first portable one I have seen.

Lights kill stupid moths that are drawn to them.   Hopefully they kill stupid humans who think they kill 110% of viruses and under seat toilet germs too.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away