Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I had in person job interviews last week. It was that company’s first in person in over a year. The whole dance of should or shouldn’t I wear the damn mask and what message wearing one or not is conveying was kind of nerve wracking.  Not trying to make any political point in wearing one or not but being worried about how someone would perceive my choice. I asked each set of interviewers what their preference was on wearing one. I’m fully vaccinated and so was every other person who conducted the interview so we took them off thankfully. One of the benefits of being an educated professional I guess. Not being able to assess visual cues or body language with a mask on would suck. Fortunately, it turned out very well for me.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You actually believe all of the bullshit you just typed? Are faucis people 16-17 years old? Besides, 4/15 was a month ago. “Probably a little more than half” is a very disconcerting answer for a vaccine that’s been available to adults since freaking February

His post is reasonable. I live in Washington state. I became eligible 4/15. Every appointment within a 75 mile radius from me was booked within a second on 4/15. The earliest appointment I was able to get was 4/25. Had to drive about 30 mins to get it. Getting the second shot next week.

Getting a shot before mid to late April was difficult for people in some states, unless they lied about their eligibility.

• Hook 'Em 3

His post is reasonable. I live in Washington state. I became eligible 4/15. Every appointment within a 75 mile radius from me was booked within a second on 4/15. The earliest appointment I was able to get was 4/25. Had to drive about 30 mins to get it. Getting the second shot next week.
Getting a shot before mid to late April was difficult for people in some states, unless they lied about their eligibility.

Peter Marks says in this video that he knows of employees that got the vaccine at work and also elsewhere. You’re really thinking the vaccine wasn’t at the NIH, CDC etc until mid April?

If we’re talking about non essential workers like construction workers, painters, landscapers etc…yea his post is reasonable
  • Hook 'Em 1

So do we get a vaccination card to show people when they ask about our mask not being worn?

Wristband? Green checkmark on the forehead?

6 hours ago, CDAK said:

You had to drive 30 minutes to get the vaccine??? OMG!

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You actually believe all of the bullshit you just typed? Are faucis people 16-17 years old? Besides, 4/15 was a month ago. “Probably a little more than half” is a very disconcerting answer for a vaccine that’s been available to adults since freaking February

It was a reasonable post. I tried to get vaccinated as soon as possible. But, I wasn't in an at risk category and even when Texas opened up to everyone it still wasn't possible to immediately get an appointment. I actually had to get my vaccine through a friend who worked at a hospital as part of an employee program and just reached the two week period post second shot on Monday. I'll also point out that not everyone that works at CDC, FDA, or NIH are doctors or medical professionals. These are big organizations with a large variety of employees and contractors that work for them. Finally, 60% is well ahead of the rate for the general population, so I'm not really sure why you or anyone else thinks it is a bad look. Frankly, it would be bad optics if all those agencies were at or near 100% this soon, as it would imply that the agencies gave themselves preferential treatment over at risk populations. 

Edit: Final point: That video was posted on May 13, which is exactly 28 days from April 15. That means that even if every single person got the first dose on April 15, they'd barely meet the threshold for getting the second Moderna vaccine by the time the video was posted. That's a really tight timetable if you're expecting them to be at 100% already.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bookman said:

He says it looks like red states flattened the curve so hospitals weren't overrun. Didn't every state flatten the curve?

Yes, and the point he was making is Red States policies were more in line with the original bill of goods around, "two weeks to flatten the curve".

It was a reasonable post. I tried to get vaccinated as soon as possible. But, I wasn't in an at risk category and even when Texas opened up to everyone it still wasn't possible to immediately get an appointment. I actually had to get my vaccine through a friend who worked at a hospital as part of an employee program and just reached the two week period post second shot on Monday. I'll also point out that not everyone that works at CDC, FDA, or NIH are doctors or medical professionals. These are big organizations with a large variety of employees and contractors that work for them. Finally, 60% is well ahead of the rate for the general population, so I'm not really sure why you or anyone else thinks it is a bad look. Frankly, it would be bad optics if all those agencies were at or near 100% this soon, as it would imply that the agencies gave themselves preferential treatment over at risk populations. 
Edit: Final point: That video was posted on May 13, which is exactly 28 days from April 15. That means that even if every single person got the first dose on April 15, they'd barely meet the threshold for getting the second Moderna vaccine by the time the video was posted. That's a really tight timetable if you're expecting them to be at 100% already.

True. Hopefully right.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Yes, it is going to be a struggle getting many to accept masks are no longer necessary.

If they want to wear them let them. I am vaxxed and ready, but my local bar has a requirement to still wear a mask for their staff. I don't mind wearing one when ordering at the bar if for anything to let them know I take them serious. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yup.  I chose not to lie about nonexistent medical conditions and skip the line, so I wasn't even eligible in Texas until 3/29.  I couldn't find an appointment within 25 miles until 4/19.  I won't receive M#2 until 5/17.

People are having some strange expectations of just how many people have actually had the opportunity to get fully vaxed.  Just because shots are freely available today, doesn't mean they were in early April.  In Texas or anywhere else.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

If they want to wear them let them. I am vaxxed and ready, but my local bar has a requirement to still wear a mask for their staff. I don't mind wearing one when ordering at the bar if for anything to let them know I take them serious. 

And, it is going to be difficult for private businesses to treat the vaccinated and unvaccinated differently. The safest course of action for them right now is to treat everyone as unvaccinated. I'd think this summer rates would be high enough to justify the opposite assumption. Ideally businesses would allow those with vaccine cards to enter without masks. But given the potential reaction of certain members of the public and the practical difficulties in enforcing that requirement, most businesses are going to find that very difficult to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

And, it is going to be difficult for private businesses to treat the vaccinated and unvaccinated differently. The safest course of action for them right now is to treat everyone as unvaccinated. I'd think this summer rates would be high enough to justify the opposite assumption. Ideally businesses would allow those with vaccine cards to enter without masks. But given the potential reaction of certain members of the public and the practical difficulties in enforcing that requirement, most businesses are going to find that very difficult to do. 

Agree 100%, just saying it is my choice, does not bother me to wear one, and I have seen the confrontations they have had trying to mandate their establishment's decision way before vaccines were available for all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So to my wife and her circle, the mask is actually a sign you take it seriously, therefore you're likely to be vaccinated.  No mask means you follow the teachings of Q and believe this has something to do with adrenochrome and Jeffrey Epstein, so you're not vaccinated because you don't want the Bill Gates 5G antenna implanted.  Effectively, the people who need masks aren't wearing them and the people who don't need them are.

It's going to take a while to get her and her group to see that the other way because of all the engineered fear over variants and shit.  

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So to my wife and her circle, the mask is actually a sign you take it seriously, therefore you're likely to be vaccinated.  No mask means you follow the teachings of Q and believe this has something to do with adrenochrome and Jeffrey Epstein, so you're not vaccinated because you don't want the Bill Gates 5G antenna implanted.  Effectively, the people who need masks aren't wearing them and the people who don't need them are.

It's going to take a while to get her and her group to see that the other way because of all the engineered fear over variants and shit.  

From my observation, this psychology is very much a real thing, in all directions.

I think it's gonna be several weeks until stores & restaurants start updating their mask policies, and I'd wager a lot of places will never officially make an announcement saying "masks are no longer required." 

That said, I think "enforcement" is already dropping off and will begin to wane precipitously. Even in highly complaint, inner-loop Houston, I'm seeing more and more unmasked folks at the grocery stores lately.

27 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Ya think?

That seems like a realistic take on where we currently are. It'll take time for people to get use to being in large groups again. It'll take time for people to get use to seeing people without masks. I'm not sure why people are treating it like an inflammatory statement. It is the opposite. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

That seems like a realistic take on where we currently are. It'll take time for people to get use to being in large groups again. It'll take time for people to get use to seeing people without masks. I'm not sure why people are treating it like an inflammatory statement. It is the opposite. 

Its a take, for sure.  Some people are excited to be back out there.  I'm vaccinated and am pumped to be doing everything normal.  Glad to see people and faces.  At no point am I struggling with not seeing people around me as a threat or selfish.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You see people as a threat? That doesn't seem normal or realistic. How do you get to work in the morning with all those Killer Cars around you?

Why are you taking the statement out of context? Prior to being vaccinated, I avoided crowds and would move away from away from unmasked individuals. In a very real sense my mind became trained to considering them a source of danger (AKA, a threat). It doesn't mean I thought those people were intentionally threatening me. But it does mean I treated unmasked people with caution. Her point is that it'll take many people time to readjust to a more open world. And, yes, I'm cautious around cars too. Everyone should be. 

11 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Its a take, for sure.  Some people are excited to be back out there.  I'm vaccinated and am pumped to be doing everything normal.  Glad to see people and faces.  At no point am I struggling with not seeing people around me as a threat or selfish.

Good for you. I'm glad you adjusted quickly. For a lot of people it'll take time to beat back the habits they developed in the pandemic. I have no idea why anyone would be critical of someone for making that self aware observation. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I think it's gonna be several weeks until stores & restaurants start updating their mask policies, and I'd wager a lot of places will never officially make an announcement saying "masks are no longer required." 

That said, I think "enforcement" is already dropping off and will begin to wane precipitously. Even in highly complaint, inner-loop Houston, I'm seeing more and more unmasked folks at the grocery stores lately.

I'm seeing a lot less mask wearing at stores, but mostly at smaller places.  Now that you mention it, I've really never seen much enforcement in my area from smaller businesses.  It's tough to tell a guy to be the cop and piss off his customer because he knows he'll likely lose that customer for the future.  Bigger stores (Home Depot aside) can put a guy at the front to say "just doing my job, ma'am."  But the little guys were/are put in a bad spot.

25 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The handshake thing has been, and will continue to be, interesting.  I'm not elbow bumping the CEO of my client.  But I will admit I actually think about it for the first time since I was 7 or 8 or so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The handshake thing has been, and will continue to be, interesting.  I'm not elbow bumping the CEO of my client.  But I will admit I actually think about it for the first time since I was 7 or 8 or so.

You've known the CEO of your client for a long time. Or you're really young.  /s

Yeah, this is the sort of interaction that use to be automatic but now has that moment of hesitation. 

But I guess those that never considered Covid-19 a real threat wouldn't understand this change. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Maybe not too long.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You've known the CEO of your client for a long time. Or you're really young.  /s

Yeah, this is the sort of interaction that use to be automatic but now has that moment of hesitation. 

But I guess those that never considered Covid-19 a real threat wouldn't understand this change. 

Hesitation is one thing.  Thinking the worst of the person is another. 

When I'm in a situation where a handshake is possible, its kind of a "are we going to do this?" moment.  Or if he stick his out, its an "OK, he wants to shake my hand, I'm not going to rude, so I'm going to do it."

Its never, "What's this irresponsible Covid denier trying to do?  Fucking kill me?"

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Haha 1

Just now, Don Johnson said:

When I'm in a situation where a handshake is possible, its kind of a "are we going to do this?" moment.  Or if he stick his out, its an "OK, he wants to shake my hand, I'm not going to rude, so I'm going to do it."

Its never, "What's this irresponsible Covid denier trying to do?  Fucking kill me?"

Why are you being so obtuse? You're reading something into the word "threat" that I don't believe was intended (and certainly not by me). But go ahead, continue being an asshole to everyone who maybe took this a little more seriously than you and will take some time to readjust to a normal world again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Why are you being so obtuse? You're reading something into the word "threat" that I don't believe was intended (and certainly not by me). But go ahead, continue being an asshole to everyone who maybe took this a little more seriously than you and will take some time to readjust to a normal world again. 

I am responding to her overly dramatic use of the word threat, referring to people as either "a threat, a Covid denier or selfish" and your defense of her.  If that's not what she meant, she shouldn't have said it.  All I can go off is what people say and its seems pretty obvious she wasn't just talking about being hesitant to return to old habits. 

You and I sound like we are on the same page.  No clue why you defended her on this.  Especially when your defense is she didn't intend what she said.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'm listening to Kafka right now myself.

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Hesitation is one thing.  Thinking the worst of the person is another. 

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  When you (at least I) never gave it a second thought before.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away