Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

I am responding to her overly dramatic use of the word threat, referring to people as either "a threat, a Covid denier or selfish" and your defense of her.  If that's not what she meant, she shouldn't have said it.  All I can go off is what people say and its seems pretty obvious she wasn't just talking about being hesitant to return to old habits. 

You and I sound like we are on the same page.  No clue why you defended her on this.  Especially when your defense is she didn't intend what she said.

Why is the word "threat" overly dramatic? In this context, it just means potentially dangerous. That is an accurate representation of how I and others felt about unmasked individuals and large crowds during the height of the pandemic. She didn't say they were intentionally threatening. And she didn't say they are currently a threat. She said it'll take time to get over that internal danger bell that many of us developed during the pandemic. What word did you want her to use to describe that feeling?

threat noun (UNWANTED POSSIBILITY)

the possibility that something unwanted will happen, or a person or thing that is likely to cause something unwanted to happen:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/threat

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Why is the word "threat" overly dramatic? In this context, it just means potentially dangerous. That is an accurate representation of how I and others felt about unmasked individuals and large crowds during the height of the pandemic. She didn't say they were intentionally threatening. And she didn't say they are currently a threat. She said it'll take time to get over that internal danger bell that many of us developed during the pandemic. What word did you want her to use to describe that feeling?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/threat

24 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You're reading something into the word "threat" that I don't believe was intended (and certainly not by me).

One post its not intended by her and certainly not by you.  The next, its a totally accurate representation of how you and others feel.  When you decide whether viewing people as threats is accurate or intended by you and Maddow, let me know.  

IMO, its insanity to have rewire your fully vaccinated brain to not see someone without a mask and immediately think "THREAT!  SELFISH!  DENIER!"

5 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Retailers are better off dropping the mask requirement. Nobody is going to bitch at someone wearing a mask.  But you’ll still have people with masks bitching at those who aren’t wearing one 

Or fewer of those idiots refusing to wear a mask getting into fisticuffs with checkout clerks.

8 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

One post its not intended by her and certainly not by you.  The next, its a totally accurate representation of how you and others feel.  When you decide whether viewing people as threats is accurate or intended by you and Maddow, let me know.  

IMO, its insanity to have rewire your fully vaccinated brain to not see someone without a mask and immediately think "THREAT!  SELFISH!  DENIER!"

Again, what do you understand the word threat to mean?

What I said is that I dont think in this context it means "intentional" threat. I don't think the unmasked intended to put me or others in danger. But, objectively, they did put us in danger. And that is how I perceived it. So I was cautious around them. And my brain was trained that they represented a danger. Now that I am vaccinated, the unmasked arent a danger. But it'll take awhile for my unconscious brain to accept that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

But, objectively, they did put us in danger. And that is how I perceived it. So I was cautious around them. And my brain was trained that they represented a danger. Now that I am vaccinated, the unmasked arent a danger. But it'll take awhile for my unconscious brain to accept that. 

It's not more complicated than that.  And by my observation, a lot of folks are having an adjustment issue with that -- for a year, someone walking up to you with no mask on presented a risk of transmitting a serious disease to you.  Now that one or both of you is vaccinated, not so much.  But you have to change a year's worth of conditioning, and for many people, that doesn't happen overnight.  Just like it took people a while to get in the new habit of wearing a mask when they hit the HEB.  Most of us adjusted to it fine, but it didn't happen overnight.

That's all.  It's not some deep paranoia, it's human nature for a lot of folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Again, what do you understand the word threat to mean?

What I said is that I dont think in this context it means "intentional" threat. I don't think the unmasked intended to put me or others in danger. But, objectively, they did put us in danger. And that is how I perceived it. So I was cautious around them. And my brain was trained that they represented a danger. Now that I am vaccinated, the unmasked arent a danger. But it'll take awhile for my unconscious brain to accept that. 

In this context, when included with selfish and denier I think its pretty implied that the threat would be intentional.  

Since you demand I be literal with this.  Using the definition you posted above, just about anything could be a threat.  The guy that just walked by my office.  Its possible he could cause me harm.  But I'm not going to refer to him as threat.  That would be insane.

I just think it takes a certain overly pessimistic/scared mindset to view everyone as a potential threat. And to have hard time giving that up is overly dramatic to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I just think it takes a certain overly pessimistic/scared mindset to view everyone as a potential threat. And to have hard time giving that up is overly dramatic to me.

Situational Awareness is an essential life skill. My guess is you already practice it, but perhaps didn't know it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Situational Awareness is an essential life skill. My guess is you already practice it, but perhaps didn't know it.

Yeah, I mean, there was also a crack above about "do you see every other car on the road as maybe trying to kill you?"  Ummmmm.....yes?  That's kind of how you're supposed to drive?  I don't mean "grip the wheel in terror because every second you're about to die," but yes, I am aware that the truck next to me could just decide to change lanes without looking and I'd have to act fast to save my ass.  It's not "living in fear" to start from the basic premise that every other car on the road constitutes a threat.....because they do.

And on top of that, I live in Austin, for fuck's sake.  Every other driver IS out to kill me, if only via their idiocy and incompetence.

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

In this context, when included with selfish and denier I think its pretty implied that the threat would be intentional.  

Since you demand I be literal with this.  Using the definition you posted above, just about anything could be a threat.  The guy that just walked by my office.  Its possible he could cause me harm.  But I'm not going to refer to him as threat.  That would be insane.

They were being selfish. They were in denial. But that doesn't imply they were intentionally trying to hurt anyone. I don't see how you can reach that conclusion. 

Yes, if you want to be pedantic, I suppose literally speaking anything could be a threat. The point here is that the unmasked represented a non-negligible threat that required some amount of situational awareness to avoid. For whatever reason you take this to mean that I was pissing my pants afraid of them. But all it really means is a reasonable respect for the potential danger. I teach my children to be careful crossing the street and to watch for cars. I don't do this so they'll be terrified of cars, but so that they'll recognize the potential danger (AKA threat) and exercise the appropriate caution. I suspect you know and understand all of this. But you have a bug up your ass about vilifying Maddow so you're being willfully obtuse. 

26 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Correct. 

Edited by Dahobbs

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'm not sure I ever felt threatened by non-maskers. I did think they were inconsiderate assholes though.

Given the acrimony in the nation, that would move my situational awareness to orange.

Ultimately, it is awareness that is key to understanding personal safety. Awareness allows for an individual to know not only his or her environment, but also his or her own capabilities and limitations.

John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, a United States Marine, is responsible for Cooper’s Colors, a set of criteria by which to gauge the level of danger within a given scenario. Cooper’s Colors are:

White: Unaware, unprepared and unconcerned. This is the normal state of mind when you are in the safety of your home, for instance.

Yellow: Attentive but relaxed. This is the normal state of mind when out in public, such as when you are running errands or visiting the grocery store. While this keeps threats remote to your person, it facilitates a distance that allows you to notice the nice things in life without immediate cause for concern.

Orange: Your focus becomes directed at a potential threat. Now you must start planning a strategy in case the potential threat become concrete and imminent. Ideally, you will avoid the situation altogether. Red:

Red: Imminent danger exists and immediate action is needed. You must make the decision to run, hide/take cover or fight.

Black: You are actively applying an appropriate level of justifiable force to neutralize an imminent threat to life and limb. 

Situational Awareness is part of the OODA Loop:

OODA Loop - How To Make Better Decisions In 4 Steps

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

They were being selfish. They were in denial. But that doesn't imply they were intentionally trying to hurt anyone. I don't see how you can reach that conclusion. 

Yes, if you want to be pedantic, I suppose literally speaking anything could be a threat. The point here is that the unmasked represented a non-negligible threat that required some amount of situational awareness to avoid. For whatever reason you take this to mean that I was pissing my pants afraid of them. But all it really means is a reasonable respect for the potential danger. I teach my children to be careful crossing the street and to watch for cars. I don't do this so they'll be terrified of cars, but so that they'll recognize the potential danger (AKA threat) and exercise the appropriate caution. I suspect you know and understand all of this, but have a bug up your ass about vilifying Maddow so you're being willfully obtuse. 

Correct. 

The fact that you continue take my criticism of Maddow as a criticism of you is odd.  I already said it sounds like you and I are on the same page.  I think she (not you, unless you make it about you) is being overly dramatic, but that's what she does.  Hell, there's a chance it was an act, not even a real fear of everyone she sees unmasked.

Yes, she came across as pissing her pants afraid of people.  You?  I never said or believed that so quit making it an attack on you.

As for the pedantic comment, I interpret "threat" the same way any normal person would.  A real danger.  The same way she used it.  You're the one who quoted Webster's and asked me how your twisting of her intentions didn't fit that definition.  And then actually accused me of being pedantic, lol.

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Red: Imminent danger exists and immediate action is needed. You must make the decision to run, hide/take cover or fight.

Black: You are actively applying an appropriate level of justifiable force to neutralize an imminent threat to life and limb. 

Situational Awareness is part of the OODA Loop:

he forgot "or take cell phone video and post to twitter"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

For a society that technology was already herding pockets of to become increasingly isolated, this pandemic put that shit on steroids.  Some people it's their nature and they embraced it, for a lot of others they have now been conditioned to it (unhealthy in my opinion) and it's going take shit loads of time to unwind that psychological pile of coat hangers.

Also I have throughout this thread seen people say, "what do you care if somebody still chooses to wear a mask? it doesn't affect you. As somebody who had no problem with masks as a means to stop spread, was fine with wearing them etc etc etc  you're goddamn wrong it DOES  affect me.  Are you happy to see me?  Are you mad at me?  Are you a threat? Do you think I'm a threat?  Are you sad? stressed? beaten down?  That shit is really hard to discern when I can't see half of your fucking face.  When this shit is truly done and done (which is also a problem Brisket has so often rightly beat the drum on....what the fuck is the definition of that?) YEA I don't want to encounter you in a mask.  It's fucking weird and dehumanizing.  Your face tells your story and I can't see god damn half of it.  

Abso-fucking-lutely. 80% of communication is not in the words spoken. Or something. We evolved over 100s of 1000s of years to interpret each other’s faces.

43 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

For a society that technology was already herding pockets of to become increasingly isolated, this pandemic put that shit on steroids.  Some people it's their nature and they embraced it, for a lot of others they have now been conditioned to it (unhealthy in my opinion) and it's going take shit load of time to unwind that psychological pile of coat hangers.

Also I have throughout this thread seen people say, "what do you care if somebody still chooses to wear a mask? it doesn't affect you. As somebody who had no problem with masks as a means to stop spread, was fine with wearing them etc etc etc  you're goddamn wrong it DOES  affect me.  Are you happy to see me?  Are you mad at me?  Are you a threat? Do you think I'm a threat?  Are you sad? stressed? beaten down?  That shit is really hard to discern when I can't see half of your fucking face.  When this shit is truly done and done (which is also a problem Brisket has so often rightly beat the drum on....what the fuck is the definition of that?) YEA I don't want to encounter you in a mask.  It's fucking weird and dehumanizing.  Your face tells your story and I can't see god damn half of it.  

Good point. Focus should move to:

• Eyes: 1000 yard stare/target stare/target glance
  • Stance: moves to 45 degree angle/Weaver's Stance/hands near torso/flexed knees/nose over toes/stress breathing/purposeless pacing
  • Appropriate response: create distance (leave); or adopt interview stance (if required to intervene)

This is probably second nature for most. 

Edited by washparkhorn

45 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

The fact that you continue take my criticism of Maddow as a criticism of you is odd.  I already said it sounds like you and I are on the same page.  I think she (not you, unless you make it about you) is being overly dramatic, but that's what she does.  Hell, there's a chance it was an act, not even a real fear of everyone she sees unmasked.

Yes, she came across as pissing her pants afraid of people.  You?  I never said or believed that so quit making it an attack on you.

As for the pedantic comment, I interpret "threat" the same way any normal person would.  A real danger.  The same way she used it.  You're the one who quoted Webster's and asked me how your twisting of her intentions didn't fit that definition.  And then actually accused me of being pedantic, lol.

I didn't take it as a criticism of me. Rather, I was just illustrating the ambiguity and confusion that was apparently caused by the usage of the word "threat." I understand her use of the word to be the same as mine. I don't think her statement came across as pissing her pants afraid of people. All she was saying is that it'll take awhile for her brain to relax. You've chosen to ignore the focal point of her statement and instead harp on the predicate. I find that reaction odd. But I also really don't know anything about her, so I gather you're reading a bunch into her statement based on your perception of her.

And, just to be clear, I believe that unmasked people during the height of the pandemic represented a "real danger" just as a I believe other vehicles around me when I'm on the road represent a "real danger." But "real danger" doesn't classify the level of danger or the appropriate amount of caution to take. It just means the danger isn't illusory or imaginary, but rather actually exists.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Why are you taking the statement out of context? Prior to being vaccinated, I avoided crowds and would move away from away from unmasked individuals. In a very real sense my mind became trained to considering them a source of danger (AKA, a threat). It doesn't mean I thought those people were intentionally threatening me. But it does mean I treated unmasked people with caution. Her point is that it'll take many people time to readjust to a more open world. And, yes, I'm cautious around cars too. Everyone should be. 

Good for you. I'm glad you adjusted quickly. For a lot of people it'll take time to beat back the habits they developed in the pandemic. I have no idea why anyone would be critical of someone for making that self aware observation. 

You sound like a pussy.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

For a society that technology was already herding pockets of to become increasingly isolated, this pandemic put that shit on steroids.  Some people it's their nature and they embraced it, for a lot of others they have now been conditioned to it (unhealthy in my opinion) and it's going take shit loads of time to unwind that psychological pile of coat hangers.

I'm legally blind, ain't shit changing for me mask or no mask. Faces? lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Ya think?

I assume she’s been in the camp of “Follow the science” and “Listen to the CDC” while now proclaiming difficulty listening to their new recommendation. If she was that aligned with the health experts all along, this wouldn’t be a hard transition. In fact, it would be easily anticipated the moment she got a needle in her arm. 

What’s more likely going on is an internal battle about what the fuck is she going to concern troll about for the rest of the year? 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Hesitation is one thing.  Thinking the worst of the person is another. 

When I'm in a situation where a handshake is possible, its kind of a "are we going to do this?" moment.  Or if he stick his out, its an "OK, he wants to shake my hand, I'm not going to rude, so I'm going to do it."

Its never, "What's this irresponsible Covid denier trying to do?  Fucking kill me?"

This. Great description of how it goes down.

It's very slightly awkward.  Not a guilt-ridden moment that keeps you up at night.

( i'm only up right now because of all of the mattress tags/ pillow labels on my conscience.)

Edited by slorch

The handshake thing has been, and will continue to be, interesting.  I'm not elbow bumping the CEO of my client.  But I will admit I actually think about it for the first time since I was 7 or 8 or so.

In the last 48 hours it seems like handshakes are back in my circles. I’m fine with it. Save the fist bump for the golf course.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Why are you taking the statement out of context? Prior to being vaccinated, I avoided crowds and would move away from away from unmasked individuals. In a very real sense my mind became trained to considering them a source of danger (AKA, a threat). It doesn't mean I thought those people were intentionally threatening me. But it does mean I treated unmasked people with caution. Her point is that it'll take many people time to readjust to a more open world. And, yes, I'm cautious around cars too. Everyone should be. 

Because he’s a moron. 

Abso-fucking-lutely. 80% of communication is not in the words spoken. Or something. We evolved over 100s of 1000s of years to interpret each other’s faces.

Hence why social media is such a terrible way to communicate. Only the words are transmitted.

This is a fun little exercise: read through the following sentence, emphasizing the first word. Then read it again and emphasize the second, and so on.

I DIDN’T SAY THAT YOU STOLE THE MONEY

Eight different meanings out of the exact same group of words. And that’s without even factoring in body language.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I assume she’s been in the camp of “Follow the science” and “Listen to the CDC” while now proclaiming difficulty listening to their new recommendation. If she was that aligned with the health experts all along, this wouldn’t be a hard transition. In fact, it would be easily anticipated the moment she got a needle in her arm. 
What’s more likely going on is an internal battle about what the fuck is she going to concern troll about for the rest of the year? 

She gets paid $7M a year to sow division. She’ll think of something.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Whatever you say, Icono. 

Who took the jam out of your donut this early in the morning. Relax, it’s Saturday morning, the temperature is pleasant and life is going back to normal. Will be hosting a get together with a COVID piñata and mask bonfire in a few weeks. I wore the damn things but am glad they’re not going to be a part of daily life anymore. Hate them.

• Like 2

I’ll be celebrating with a couple hours of tailgating followed by a full capacity, mask-free crowd for the Atlanta United match. Clear skies, 75°, and I have a designated driver. I’m getting fucking hammered (and hopefully laid).

It’s going to be the most awesomely normal day in over a year and I’m getting kind of emotional about it. I should probably have some more bacon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away