Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Same here. What was ok 3 weeks ago and what is supposedly ok now are two different things. We ran through a lot of PPE in the first week or two discarding everything between patients.

Gowns and gloves are still thrown away between patients. Face shields are bleach wiped and used repeatedly. Masks you can’t bleach. You just reuse. I’m on the same mask and face shield for the last 3 days. It’s not ideal.

Good luck out there !!

1 hour ago, F250 said:

All 50 states should form a governing board and vote for an executive leader so that decisions can be made under a federated organization for the benefit of all States.

We already have such an entity that is the best at Command and Control on the planet, and is in possession of a jabillion dollars worth of livingry that could be on the ground at Air Force bases in 36 hours.

It's called The Pentagon.

Scott left out a key piece of information in his tweet: "Emma was diagnosed with pneumonia on March 15 "

Humans who are already in difficult situations are going to have a hard time with this virus.

But couldn't the COVID have caused the pneumonia and they just didn't test her until recently?

Just now, RayDog said:

The evidence in countries throughout the far east  does not support your conclusion.  The use and reuse of masks, which are often substandard to begin with,  are almost certainly a big reason why the virus spread has been slowed.

This is certainly not recommended in a hospital setting, but wearing nothing is far worse.

sorry, but the masks people are sewing from yarn are not standard or scrub masks which are in turn not N95 masks.

if people were sewing standard masks, thats one thing. but that's not what they are doing.

the transmission rate when wearing a scrub mask is higher than an N95 mask, but its obviously not 100%. so that does offer protection

what's the transmission rate for wrapping your shirt around your face? it's primary mode of protection for now would be as a reminder to not touch your face.

2 minutes ago, naija said:

sorry, but the masks people are sewing from yarn are not standard or scrub masks which are in turn not N95 masks.

if people were sewing standard masks, thats one thing. but that's not what they are doing.

the transmission rate when wearing a scrub mask is higher than an N95 mask, but its obviously not 100%. so that does offer protection

what's the transmission rate for wrapping your shirt around your face? it's primary mode of protection for now would be as a reminder to not touch your face.

97% particulate gets through cloth mask per study I saw yesterday.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, naija said:

...which has led to alot of people on Facebook sharing stories of sewing/quilting masks to send to hospitals... when these masks are not going to do anything.

Can y'all regift those to Fox so maybe they can film new episodes of Who's Behind the Mask?  A bored quarantined nation needs content. 

As of a week ago China was making 200 million masks a day; and still was having a hard time keeping up with their local demand. Even as large as China is, that's not a lot of masking re-using.

If you are talking about the masks people wear to walk outdoors that's one thing, but who says they are being re-used liberally in the hospital setting?

14 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Same here. What was ok 3 weeks ago and what is supposedly ok now are two different things. We ran through a lot of PPE in the first week or two discarding everything between patients.

Gowns and gloves are still thrown away between patients. Face shields are bleach wiped and used repeatedly. Masks you can’t bleach. You just reuse. I’m on the same mask and face shield for the last 3 days. It’s not ideal.

And I’m talking about known positive patients.

one thing people are doing is putting a regular mask over the N95 mask. easier to change that.

1 hour ago, Modessit said:
3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Was definitely laughable.  But imo so is celebrating sending 100k masks.  Individual hospitals are ordering a million at a time.  

How often are you changing masks? If you have 1000 employees that requires masks in a hospital per day, that's 365k masks used in a year. Is one mask not good enough to last all shift? Or are you counting hanging them out to patients and their families as they come in?

It isn't that simple. If you assume the mask is infected, you are okay going from room to room with it on. However, you are not okay moving it on and off your face, like to take a drink or talk to a friend, or talk to a family, or to go use the restroom, etc. That is a good way to catch the virus.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I slept 10 hours last night. Was a combination of “no reason not to” and “ohh, that bottle’s close to full”

Lack of sleep is a huge regulator for me with alcohol.  I’m jealous of people that sleep long hours after drinking...I’ll grab about 6 hours dead to the world, then wake up tired and restless.  Away from the kids I’ll fart around on my phone for an hour then crash for another 2-3 of snoozing...but at home they’re up at 630 so staying up late pays it back the next morning.  

Once a year I, while on a trip somewhere, will shut off the party early and crash at like 9p stone sober...and wake up about 930am.  It’s so glorious I remember it as a trip highlight...Houston 2018, San Diego 2019, Austin JW Marriott 2020.  My friend makes fun of me for it, but he’s got one kid who’s 12 and thus he can sleep as much as he wants.  

Problem with this past week is I put my self-induced (story in NSAA divorce thread) alcohol moderation on a temporary hold and filled growlers like mad before the bars closed...64oz a night = good times but crap sleep.  

Glad that sleep interruption is a by product otherwise I’d do like last night repeatedly, drinking Redhorn Super Fly Snicka and stay up playing New Super Mario Wii and Kart Double Dash for GC until midnight...paying for it the next day.  

+28000 in five days.  4000 to 32000+. I get it. Testing has increased but it’s still a staggering number and it only means a lot more death. This is going to be a long process.  Thanks and prayers to those on the front line of this. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is like the ACEI/ARB thing I’ve obsessed over.  Immunosuppressive drugs would be a bad thing transmission-wise, but there’s an argument that they could help after infection.  

So should my 70+ yo mom stop taking Humira or not?

At the very least, she should stop giving out hummers.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, Casual Encounter said:

From a friend’s Facebook page, a message from their church:

We are aware of the city code in effect for 7 days for public gatherings. Before Sunday, we will have all the chairs spaced accordingly, so that people are spread out in a large room not next to each other, complying with the guidelines set out by the city ordinance. We also are prepared to have an overflow in the other 2 buildings, if necessary & will have the service on the screen in those buildings. These are steps we can take in the natural to help our community & obey the law of the land. Along with doing what we do in the natural, let us not forget our authority in the spirit. We boldly declare, because our trust is in God, no plague shall come near our dwelling. We command this virus, in the name of Jesus, to stay out of our region. We love you and are here for you & look forward to seeing you! God bless you ♥️

Where have we seen this strategy before?

As a practicing Christian...GOD HELP US.  Some of our supposedly Christian leaders are totally bonkers.

• Like 3

The evidence in countries throughout the far east  does not support your conclusion.  The use and reuse of masks, which are often substandard to begin with,  are almost certainly a big reason why the virus spread has been slowed.
This is certainly not recommended in a hospital setting, but wearing nothing is far worse.

Outside of a hospital, where medical staff need to be protected from confirmed cases( we need them protected 100%), maybe the reuse of n95 masks would really make a difference(what I think your post highlights). The spread of this thing is because an infected person sneezes or coughs on you or something you touch, right? it would seem to make sense to go to any length to prevent the contamination of every person and surface by unwitting carriers. Would it not be effective if everyone was covered up and prevented from coughing on shit? Why not give one mask to every person on the planet and require its use for a month?

13 minutes ago, naija said:

As of a week ago China was making 200 million masks a day; and still was having a hard time keeping up with their local demand. Even as large as China is, that's not a lot of masking re-using.

If you are talking about the masks people wear to walk outdoors that's one thing, but who says they are being re-used liberally in the hospital setting?

The doctors on this thread responding to you

2 hours ago, B00M said:

So you must disagree with this guy's assumptions, projections and conclusions? He's the single best source for info I've seen. 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Honestly not sure what the trap is in the question or if there is one. You could tell me anything from the future about this right now and I could find a way to believe it. I think it’s nuts if others don’t see it that way. There is so much unknown right now about all of this that predicting the future in a way that means you’re certain and should be accountable seems futile and silly. 

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

97% particulate gets through cloth mask per study I saw yesterday.  

At 1 micron but only 89% at 0.1 microns which is closer to the size of a virus. A cotton blend t-shirt is about 70%, so while not as good it is better than nothing 

Edited by RayDog

7 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

With increased testing I’m not surprised at the increase in cases but that would include people that are asymptomatic.  Is there any site that shows the number of cases that are in the hospital? 

https://covidtracking.com 

2554 in hospitals according to them as of 4 pm today

193K + negative test 31K+ positive

Edited by BillyGoatHill

With increased testing I’m not surprised at the increase in cases but that would include people that are asymptomatic.  Is there any site that shows the number of cases that are in the hospital? 

1,974 in NYS with 486 in ICU out of 15,973 cases.

That is just over 12% hospitalization, with almost 25% of those hospitalized needing ICU.

9 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is like the ACEI/ARB thing I’ve obsessed over.  Immunosuppressive drugs would be a bad thing transmission-wise, but there’s an argument that they could help after infection.  

So should my 70+ yo mom stop taking Humira or not?

She should do what her doctor tells her.  JFC what is wrong with you people?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RayDog said:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

At 1 micron but only 89% at 0.1 microns which is closer to the size of a virus. A cotton blend t-shirt is about 70%, so while not as good it is better than nothing 

Got dam RayDog, we are in the United Fucking States of America...how are we discussing better than nothing?  

Nothing against you at all...this is just asinine. 

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ac360+gupta:

China reporting 4 out of 5, EIGHTY PERCENT, contracted from someone who did not know they were infected.

The more symptomatic you are the more virus you shed.  So if everyone acted like they fucking had it...we'd make some headway.  But everyone who feels fine is like fuck everything, I'm good. Not everyone but way more people than we should have with that attitude.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ac360+gupta:

China reporting 4 out of 5, EIGHTY PERCENT, contracted from someone who did not know they were infected.

So.... 20% were infected by someone who should have been isolated but wasn't?

I know that's not really what that's saying, but all the same, it's a funny way of saying what they really meant. And I don't know that it is a meaningful stat anyway. I would think the vast majority of all infections, if any sort, are instigated by people who don't know they are infected.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Got dam RayDog, we are in the United Fucking States of America...how are we discussing better than nothing?  

Nothing against you at all...this is just asinine. 

It is amazing to me that a standard non-N95 mask mask is only 89% effective at filtering viruses. It is no wonder people get infections in hospitals. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, JesusSweatDuck said:

Have your preacher/pastor/whatever do a live stream on YouTube.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, JesusSweatDuck said:

I've talked to my 70+ yo father.  He's an elder at his church and they have no plans on cancelling.  Idiots IMO

For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Unfortunately that seems to be missing among a lot of churches..

Common sense people, common sense.

Edited by SHOOTER12

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

italy is making masks and gloves mandatory to enter a grocery.

It is mandatory where I live in the Philippines but I just saw two American assholes refuse to wear one when my girlfriend and I went shopping this morning.

2 minutes ago, RayDog said:

It is amazing to me that a standard non-N95 mask mask is only 89% effective at filtering viruses. It is no wonder people get infections in hospitals. 

Think about the edges of the mask as well. You are only considering the air that actually passes through the fibers.

34 minutes ago, naija said:

NDT reported that all ppe was being reused in Wuhan last month.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away