Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

italy is making masks and gloves mandatory to enter a grocery.
I cannot understand why we are not doing the same. This situation is so dire that we are killing the economy, locking people up, killing the market, putting countless people out of work, preparing a trillion+ stimulus package, etc.-- yet our leaders are not mandating masks?? Even surgical masks, if worn by an infected person, would slow the transmission. So why is the president and CDC not mandating or even encouraging the use of masks? It's mind bottling.

I've got 3 old but brand new n95 masks. Who/ how should I Donate them?  I'd like them to go to the folks that really need them, but it's only three and the rubber bands are old.  Just drop em by the hospital or fire department?

is it even worth messing with?

8 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

New York just blew by everyone on deaths. 114 now, passing WA’s 94. CA in 3rd worth just 28. 

It’s clearly blowing up there and not just because the decided to test more. 

Don't 114 people die most weekends in New York?

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I cannot understand why we are not doing the same. This situation is so dire that we are killing the economy, locking people up, killing the market, putting countless people out of work, preparing a trillion+ stimulus package, etc.-- yet our leaders are not mandating masks?? Even surgical masks, if worn by an infected person, would slow the transmission. So why is the president and CDC not mandating or even encouraging the use of masks? It's mind bottling.

That’d be great, if had any damn masks.  

12 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

She should do what her doctor tells her.  JFC what is wrong with you people?  

as a a non-doctor, even the doctors are having trouble keeping up with the facts.  i still don't know if coffee is good or bad for me. studies, mass information, and sound statistics can help reduce the amount of error, but we're far from that in this scenario.  how could we be even close if we don't even know if coffee is bad or good.  still, trust your doctor. 

that said, i feel grateful having posters like @Newdoc chiming in with insight and @2300 Nueces, (probably not a doctor) posting relative suggestions even if most are non-conclusive.  

i am drafting my own medical cocktail (no homo). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So.... 20% were infected by someone who should have been isolated but wasn't?

I know that's not really what that's saying, but all the same, it's a funny way of saying what they really meant. And I don't know that it is a meaningful stat anyway. I would think the vast majority of all infections, if any sort, are instigated by people who don't know they are infected.

I assume most of that 20% were infected while taking care of known COVID cases or simply being quarantined in their house along with someone known to be infected.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

NDT reported that all ppe was being reused in Wuhan last month.

I appreciate the information you provided on the tests. Last month that was true when they were running at a shortage for about 6-8 weeks. But since they've come online, I would imagine they've gone away from that. 

If you look at the paper I posted somewhere above in the thread looking at the first 72,000 cases there (as of Feb), about 63% of the healthcare workers in Wuhan got infected. We will never know how much of that is attributable to what practices were going on then, but it just isn't good to do.

7 minutes ago, Loco said:

I've got 3 old but brand new n95 masks. Who/ how should I Donate them?  I'd like them to go to the folks that really need them, but it's only three and the rubber bands are old.  Just drop em by the hospital or fire department?

is it even worth messing with?

yes please. stop by and drop em off at your local firehouse. an old n95 is gold if you dont have enough.

Edited by brakeman

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

but where would you get them from? at a time when there is a fight to get them into hospitals, declaring everyone should wear them just inflames things

12 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We don’t have enough for healthcare workers and you want to make them mandatory for everyone?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It’s really mind bottling that people don’t understand we don’t have enough masks for medical personnel but expect the government to mandate everyone use them.

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Is there a shortage of surgical masks? If so, use a bandana or shirt. Something to limit the droplets that come out when an infected person coughs and sneezes.

1/2 of this thread the last 20 pages is discussing the lack of surgical masks, for the medical community, let alone the GenPop.  

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Is there a shortage of surgical masks? If so, use a bandana or shirt. Something to limit the droplets that come out when an infected person coughs and sneezes.

I’m kinda good with masks only going to medical and front line personnel and the rest of us just doing our part by staying the fuck home.

• Like 2

1/2 of this thread the last 20 pages is discussing the lack of surgical masks, for the medical community, let alone the GenPop.  
Most, if not all, of the discussion surrounding masks has been N95 respirators because that is what nurses and doctors need. We should require people to cover their mouths however they can.
  • Like 2

Just now, mdmost said:

I’m kinda good with masks only going to medical and front line personnel and the rest of us just doing our part by staying the fuck home.

Yep.  It’s almost comical how people just blurt out “the government should mandate this!!!!” when that isn’t even fucking remotely feasible right now.  Masks were gone from shelves in late February.  His is a completely ignorant take 

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Maybe try and keep up with current events before presenting these brilliant solutions.

• Like 1

Should I tell people on my neighborhood Facebook page who are freaking out that a Central Market employee tested positive for the virus that they really have no way of knowing if any of the employees they come into contact with at any grocery store don’t already have it too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Most, if not all, of the discussion surrounding masks has been N95 respirators because that is what nurses and doctors need. We should require people to cover their mouths however they can.

There are no fucking masks anywhere in this country, of any variety.  They’ve been gone from shelves since February 

5 minutes ago, naija said:

but where would you get them from? at a time when there is a fight to get them into hospitals, declaring everyone should wear them just inflames things

Yu[

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We don’t have enough for healthcare workers and you want to make them mandatory for everyone?

Yup

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s really mind bottling that people don’t understand we don’t have enough masks for medical personnel but expect the government to mandate everyone use them.

Yup

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yup

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yup-- except, people need to go to grocery stores to get food to eat in order to survive. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Should I tell people on my neighborhood Facebook page who are freaking out that a Central Market employee tested positive for the virus that they really have no way of knowing if any of the employees they come into contact with at any grocery store don’t already have it too?

No, tell them one of them (neighbors) probably gave the employee the virus.

38 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Lack of sleep is a huge regulator for me with alcohol.  I’m jealous of people that sleep long hours after drinking...I’ll grab about 6 hours dead to the world, then wake up tired and restless.  Away from the kids I’ll fart around on my phone for an hour then crash for another 2-3 of snoozing...but at home they’re up at 630 so staying up late pays it back the next morning.  

Once a year I, while on a trip somewhere, will shut off the party early and crash at like 9p stone sober...and wake up about 930am.  It’s so glorious I remember it as a trip highlight...Houston 2018, San Diego 2019, Austin JW Marriott 2020.  My friend makes fun of me for it, but he’s got one kid who’s 12 and thus he can sleep as much as he wants.  

Problem with this past week is I put my self-induced (story in NSAA divorce thread) alcohol moderation on a temporary hold and filled growlers like mad before the bars closed...64oz a night = good times but crap sleep.  

Glad that sleep interruption is a by product otherwise I’d do like last night repeatedly, drinking Redhorn Super Fly Snicka and stay up playing New Super Mario Wii and Kart Double Dash for GC until midnight...paying for it the next day.  

I quit cold turkey a month ago but have fallen off the wagon twice, although i'm on day 10 since my last drink.  Non-shockingly i've lost 15 pounds, don't wake up in the middle of the night to piss, etc.   It's a bitch.  Really want a Cab or Pinot but know that "just 1" will not happen and the bottle will be gone in 3 hours.  This is after doing Dry January.  But that was easy because i knew it was a finite off-wagon thing.  Basically, i'm afraid to drink until we have proof of anti-viral cocktails that take the lung-drowning hell-death percentage down to 1 in 1000, and right now we really don''t know what that ratio is.

• Like 1

Just now, Mikey4 said:
1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:
There are no fucking masks anywhere in this country, of any variety.  They’ve been gone from shelves since February 

Shirts? Scarves? Bandanas? People can find a way to cover their fucking mouths.

You said masks.  I replied directly about that.   

but given this idea, let’s tell America to wear their never cleaned scarves, their shirts they wipe their nose with, and their sock drawer bandana to the grocery or in public.   May as well wear our ski masks and rifles on our back too.  Just to be sure.  

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We can keep away from each other at the store. That’s the difference. 

The genesis of this entire line of discussion was the announcement that Italy is now requiring gloves and masks at GROCERY stores.

So, yeah.

6 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Apparently I missed the misuse of the term that made it normal on this site.  Back to Covid-19. 

not your fault.  shaggy evolves quicker than a virus. we're on our 3rd or 4th site now, depending on how closely you want to associate with the others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Loco said:

Was it?   

Fuck these guys and anyone even remotely like them.  

12 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I dont think any of those guys post here.  I mean, I hope not.

I don’t know if this is true or not, but there’s talk, you know I’ve heard people say that those types of people are too busy on other forums calling us tsips.  I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I think there’s people out there saying it.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe try and keep up with current events before presenting these brilliant solutions.

It's not that hard. Cover your mouth in public. Use a mask, any mask, if you have one. If you don't, use a scarf or bandana. I've been following current events closely and have not seen any shortages in scarfs, bandanas, etc.

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

It's not that hard. Cover your mouth in public. Use a mask, any mask, if you have one. If you don't, use a scarf or bandana. I've been following current events closely and have not seen any shortages in scarfs, bandanas, etc.

Well then, I guess Coach O covered the topic for you. Remember to wash your ass.

13 hours ago, Iceman said:

Also, two different posters have said they would leverage straight cash homey against their kids not following their direction, either as an incentive after a certain period of time for "good behavior" or in the form of affecting their kids'  inheritance.

Are y'all fucking serious?   No wonder they don't listen...

No, I wasn’t serious, and I won’t have a teen for another 6 years, but In anticipation of that time, would like to hear your parenting tips for situations like the teens being dumbasses and traveling in packs, that doesn’t result in a call to CPS.

Yep.  It’s almost comical how people just blurt out “the government should mandate this!!!!” when that isn’t even fucking remotely feasible right now.  Masks were gone from shelves in late February.  His is a completely ignorant take 
Wrong. Educate yourself before making these claims. There is a difference between N95 respirators and generic face coverings.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away