Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

These outbreaks never concern me, this one is starting to concern me. The advice is even more concerning, wash your hands. That means there’s nothing one can really do to avoid catching it. Yes I’m going to keep being clean. But dang not cool.

One of those Cruise Ships o’ Horrors...

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/02/15/some-americans-quarantined-on-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-are-headed-to-lackland-afb-us-says/

This comes after the U.S. announced Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship are expected to come to San Antonio for a 14-day coronavirus quarantine. Others will go to TAFB in California. 

The Department of Health and Human Services says they are in support of U.S. citizens returning from Japan that are currently aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

This sounds fun

“Wuxue City, Huanggang City, Hubei Province issued a notice on the 15th: From February 16th, the patrol team of the Municipal Public Security Bureau will patrol the streets to supervise the implementation of this "Notice". All residents who have not been on the street due to disease prevention work (due to illness) Except for the treatment), they will be sent to the gymnasium for centralized compulsory learning; all types of vehicles that do not have a pass and do not go on the street in accordance with regulations will be detained, and the party members and cadres who are insured in the residential area will be checked at the same time. Check responsibility. All citizens are urged to abide by the Circular consciously, and all insured units should stick to it and manage it strictly.”

So does that compulsory learning involve a bullet?

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

A colleague of my spouse works at the CDC as a virologist, but his specialty is Ebola. I should see if we can reach out to him for the skinny on what's happening with respect to the mutation.

No mutation, they just gave it a proper name like SARS and MERS had. COVID-19 is just the 'new' name

• Like 2

Dr John Campbell's recommendation was to put any packages from China in a safe place for a month to make sure the virus is dead before opening it. And wash you hands after handling the package.

Damn. I just opened a package this morning from China. Didn't even think about this thing. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Edit--Package says Jimei District, so I am golden!!!

20 hours ago, RayDog said:

I will add that I realized something I ordered on-line that I thought was local is actually being shipped from China. Dr John Campbell's recommendation was to put any packages from China in a safe place for a month to make sure the virus is dead before opening it. And wash you hands after handling the package.

Did ya getcha one of them ladyboys?

I am happy to say that the Philippine summer is off to an early start as it is going to be 93 F today. Also, of those under observation here 386 have tested negative with 66 to go. Many of those tests should be reported later today. I may survive this yet.

I am getting concern about this causing a world-wide recession on top of the deaths and illness, as I read a Hundai plant in South Korea shut down due to a lack of parts from China. A large percentage of goods have something sourced from China or are sold to China, more than enough to throw most of the world into a recession. Perhaps that would be best discussed in the political thread.

27 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am happy to say that the Philippine summer is off to an early start as it is going to be 93 F today. Also, of those under observation here 386 have tested negative with 66 to go. Many of those tests should be reported later today. I may survive this yet.

I am getting concern about this causing a world-wide recession on top of the deaths and illness, as I read a Hundai plant in South Korea shut down due to a lack of parts from China. A large percentage of goods have something sourced from China or are sold to China, more than enough to throw most of the world into a recession. Perhaps that would be best discussed in the political thread.

Have a buddy here in Waco that runs an aftermarket plant for ATV’s, farm equipment and what not.   They’ve been told to not expect any of their electronics stuff until at least May unless they can get a place in Vietnam to produce it, which is highly unlikely right now due to the majors trying to go that route.  

I used to do some business in China in the early 2000s and went there for extended trips three or four times. Met some really good people. Decided to do an email check in Friday and haven’t heard back from the two closest colleagues I had there. One in Shanghai and one in Hangzhou. Hopefully I’ll get a response soon.

Crazy shit. I’ll be curious how the summer olympics do in Japan as they are right next door and already have confirmed cases.

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Have a buddy here in Waco that runs an aftermarket plant for ATV’s, farm equipment and what not.   They’ve been told to not expect any of their electronics stuff until at least May unless they can get a place in Vietnam to produce it, which is highly unlikely right now due to the majors trying to go that route.  

Yeah, one of the news groups that covers Asia mentioned that even when they get workers into the factories, they are having a hard time either getting raw materials or the parts needed from other provinces, due to all of the lockdowns/checkpoints, quarantines, etc. in between the provinces.   

Damn. I just opened a package this morning from China. Didn't even think about this thing. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Edit--Package says Jimei District, so I am golden!!!

My wife ordered some stupid shit on Amazon and it has been delayed since about Jan 5th. I checked on it a few gays ago and see that the tracking says China Post. Fuck that shit but can’t cancel as its already in the system somewhere. On a related note, our mailbox lock broke and we have been waiting for the USPS to fix it and we haven’t been by to pick up our mail at the PO. Stop by this morning to get our held mail and guess what’s the biggest piece of mail? I tell the PO worker I don’t want it and she can dispose of it but she wouldn’t take it back. I pick it up by the corner and walk over by the PO Boxes and drop it in the trash can. Someone else can have that gift.
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, davidg said:

My wife ordered some stupid shit on Amazon and it has been delayed since about Jan 5th. I checked on it a few gays ago and see that the tracking says China Post. Fuck that shit but can’t cancel as its already in the system somewhere. On a related note, our mailbox lock broke and we have been waiting for the USPS to fix it and we haven’t been by to pick up our mail at the PO. Stop by this morning to get our held mail and guess what’s the biggest piece of mail? I tell the PO worker I don’t want it and she can dispose of it but she wouldn’t take it back. I pick it up by the corner and walk over by the PO Boxes and drop it in the trash can. Someone else can have that gift.

7 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Pretty sure that dildo is dishwasher safe.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Same thing here, wife ordered something for a Xmas present in late November not knowing it was from China and it arrived yesterday.

Could be an all timer for the wives thread
  • Like 1

So now people are talking about the potential issues of this hitting Africa....

With the number of travelers from China per day that were going to and from Africa prior to the shutdown of air travel,I would have suspected greater global concern for the impact this could have on Africa. If there isn’t already large isolated outbreaks (say at distant mining or manufacturing hubs) I will be amazed. 

I would expect to see some news regarding South America next. 

• Like 1

Taiwan on Sunday confirmed its first coronavirus death — marking the fifth fatality outside of mainland China.

The man, a 61-year-old taxi driver, was living with diabetes and hepatitis B when he died of the virus, according to Health Minister Chen Shih-Chung.

There’s an investigation underway to determine how the man, who had not recently traveled outside of Taiwan, contracted the illness, Chen said.

The driver’s clients were largely from Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China, the minister said.

“So far, we are not able to gather his contact history, so we are actively making investigations, hoping to find out the source of the contraction,” Chen said.

One of the man’s relatives also tested positive for the virus in what was the island’s first known case of person-to-person transmission, the official said.

Taiwan has reported 20 cases of the virus, also known as COVID-19, and banned entry to Chinese visitors.

The death comes after Europe reported its first coronavirus death when a Chinese visitor died in France.

The virus has killed at least 1,669 people, mostly in mainland China, and infected more than 69,000 others.

Edited by Bevo

3 hours ago, Eastwood said:
17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
760 million under varying degrees of residential lockdown, from checkpoints to more draconian things.  
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/business/china-coronavirus-lockdown.html

Wait, so 10% of the global population is under lockdow over a virus?

It’s like the flu or cold bro, not a big deal.   /CCP

I’m beginning to think 500,000 infected is way too low.  

On 2/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, SquishMitten said:

^^ Well that pairs nicely with the report from earlier this week that the virus can survive on surfaces for up to a month.

Where was that link? Went back a couple pages and couldn’t find it. I sorta remember reading that here but when I mentioned that at lunch, got shot down by someone else who googled links saying about a week was common for other corona viruses. 

So remember the Westerdam, that had ositive coronavirus tests from an American, after she had gotten off the ship in Cambodia?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/14/passengers-shunned-coronavirus-ship-greeted-kisses-cambodia-pm-12239636/

“Passengers on shunned coronavirus ship greeted with kisses from Cambodia PM“

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-updates/2020/02/16/616e9a74-4f6d-11ea-bf44-f5043eb3918a_story.html

“Concerns mounted on Sunday that authorities in Cambodia, including U.S. Embassy officials, had allowed passengers infected by the coronavirus to disembark from the Westerdam cruise ship and depart for other cities and countries around the world after Malaysian officials confirmed that a second exam for an ill passenger returned positive.”

The U.S. ambassador, W. Patrick Murphy, also brought his family on the cruise ship and posed for pictures on Saturday with American passengers. Murphy and other passengers did not appear to be wearing masks in photos shared on the embassy’s Twitter account.

32 minutes ago, Apep said:

So now even the ChiComs are saying it originated in the weapons lab? Sure it's the Daily Mail, but they're referring to a South Chinese Tech report.

They need to come up with another response to help quell the anger from the population about not being to get this under control. So now instead of it just being a virus it is going to be a virus that we didn't think people could catch and the academics screwed up and so they go to the front of the firing line.

Now I doubt that this is not the "real" reason either, but it will be much closer to the truth than the current BS story is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

so a perfect super flu is something that will slow down / stop an advancing force, tie up resources to treat the infected but has a low kill rate ?

Diseases that kill people too fast actually make for poor pandemic candidates. It’s why Ebola will never end the world, yes it’s a death sentence but it kills the host before they have a chance to infect a bunch of people. 

Something like this is much better for that purpose, long incubation = more people getting infected. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away