Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

I was thinking about this today. I wonder if the exhaustion contributes to their collapse. Was reading how once suited up they cannot drink anything and are working long shifts. Must take a toll on them. 

Maybe.

Anecdotal story about the sacrifices required. One of the docs in an infectious disease group here has agreed to not leave the hospital until all the patients are treated and released, plus a 14 day period afterward to clear himself. Hopefully he Doesn’t come down with it himself. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe.

Anecdotal story about the sacrifices required. One of the docs in an infectious disease group here has agreed to not leave the hospital until all the patients are treated and released, plus a 14 day period afterward to clear himself. Hopefully he Doesn’t come down with it himself. 

When he comes out I will buy him a beer. Or two.  

Maybe.
Where are you?

US military dependent in South Korea diagnosed with coronavirus, triggering precautions

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-military-dependent-south-korea-diagnosed-coronavirus-triggering/story?id=69177948

Spoiler

A family member of a U.S. service member has been diagnosed with coronavirus -- officially called COVID-19 -- in South Korea, as the number of cases in that country continues to explode.

In a press release on Monday, U.S. Forces Korea announced that it had been informed by South Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that a military dependent living in Daegu had tested positive for COVID-19. It marks the first time a U.S. Forces Korea-related individual tested positive for the virus, the release said.

In a tweet on Monday, the commander of U.S. Forces Korea Gen. Robert Abrams identified the 61-year old female patient as the widow of a retired soldier.

"We are saddened to hear of her contracting the virus," Abrams tweeted. "We pray for her recovery."

According to the release, the woman visited the Camp Walker Post Exchange on Feb. 12 and 15. Korean and American military health professionals are now "actively conducting contact tracing to determine whether any others may have been exposed."

In response, U.S. Forces Korea has ordered personnel to limit non-mission essential in-person meetings, gatherings, and temporary duty travel and assignments. It's also warned personnel to "expect longer wait times, possible temperature checks and screening questionnaires at gates to access installations" and instructed personnel to limit off-installation travel. The overall risk of COVID-19 to U.S. military personnel on the Korean Peninsula is now characterized as "high."

1 hour ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Jade Helm 2: Corona Boogaloo

Could you imagine the East Texas “Don’t Tread On Me” knuckledraggers’ reaction to Houston being quarantined? Equal parts funny and sad. 

Probably more sad. 

Those people are preppers and would shoot anyone breaking out of Houston like the walking dead.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
32 minutes ago, GRHorn said:
Maybe.

Where are you?

San Antonio

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Are there other reputable links to info on transmission besides the CDC that y’all have seen? Trying to make sense of the gap between the videos of people in China in spacesuits and emails from my hospital system saying to simply wash hands and use clinical judgment regarding personal protective equipment. 

They are building another 19 or 20 hospitals in Hubei/Wuhan area.   That’s after the half-dozen they’ve already built in the past month.  You don’t do that for something that can be beaten by washing hands.   

And China said they had 3,000 infected healthcare workers.  Even if they are honest about that, it’s a shitload of people who probably were washing their hands and using PPE.

Fuck.  Get your tinfoil out   

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/politics/white-house-1-25-billion-coronavirus-request/index.html

The White House has requested $1.25 billion in emergency funding to address the novel coronavirus, part of an effort to direct as much as $2.5 billion in total funds to bolster its response to the growing global crisis, according to a letter obtained by CNN.

"To this point, no agency has been inhibited in response efforts due to resources or authorities," Russell Vought, the acting director at the Office of Management and Budget, wrote in the letter to lawmakers requesting the funds. "However, much is still unknown about the virus and the disease it causes."

The news comes on the eve of a briefing Tuesday morning on the coronavirus for all senators in a classified setting, two sources with knowledge of the plans tell CNN.

Along with the $1.25 billion emergency funding request, the White House requested that an additional $535 million in emergency funding previously appropriated for the prevention and treatment of Ebola be redirected toward the effort to counter coronavirus. 

"Tremendous progress has been made on Ebola and the current national response priority should be" coronavirus, the letter states, noting that "these two proposals would make $1.8 billion in new resources available for the current response.

yeah. HHS put out a RFI today asking anyone who made PPE to get in touch with them. DHS DOJ is stocking up. 

Yay? 

Japanese President today announced more clusters. I think tomorrow is a great day to watch BNO and telecommute if you are in Asia or the Gulf. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
fucked up my agencies.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So for the 200 million Americans who will be infected they will have $12.50 in assistance for each. And that leaves nothing for the 4 billion infected worldwide. Great planning.

Drugmaker Moderna Inc. has shipped the first batch of its rapidly developed coronavirus vaccine to U.S. government researchers, who will launch the first human tests of whether the experimental shot could help suppress the epidemic originating in China.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmaker-moderna-delivers-first-coronavirus-vaccine-for-human-testing-11582579099

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

They have been around since 2010 and the furthest they have gone in clinical trials for any product is early Phase II. It is great that they have something in development, but there won't be a vaccine available for the general public until 2021 at the earliest.

37 minutes ago, Bevo said:

They have been around since 2010 and the furthest they have gone in clinical trials for any product is early Phase II. It is great that they have something in development, but there won't be a vaccine available for the general public until 2021 at the earliest.

Yeah, going to be a year out for general use

So for the 200 million Americans who will be infected they will have $12.50 in assistance for each. And that leaves nothing for the 4 billion infected worldwide. Great planning.

1. Most infected people won’t need any assistance
2. Private health insurance and Medicare will pay a significant portion of costs for those who do require treatment

1 hour ago, gecko said:

31 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So they had all the government getting together to plan.... Also more cases in Austria and now Croatia. The situation in Tenerife is going to be interesting to watch, but hey, at least you are at an island resort. 

This is not real life, right?   Those have to be some kind of memes, right?

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And China said they had 3,000 infected healthcare workers.  Even if they are honest about that, it’s a shitload of people who probably were washing their hands and using PPE.

using PPE? sure.

properly using PPE? maybe...maybe not. wouldn't believe how often people screw up the most minor things with PPE

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

using PPE? sure.

properly using PPE? maybe...maybe not. wouldn't believe how often people screw up the most minor things with PPE

Well, that explains the difficulty in containing the virus in China.  They've been putting the PPE.......

.....in your coke.

tumblr_mae0i0hsrF1qhrkxko1_r1_400.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Laxtonto said:

So China, then N Korea,  then Iran...

So far 2 of the scariest locations I was concerned about has happened, so next will be Syria/Afghanistan and somewhere on the east coast of Africa. 

Italy, S Korea, Spain, UK... Every godforsaken cruiseline

14 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Are there other reputable links to info on transmission besides the CDC that y’all have seen? Trying to make sense of the gap between the videos of people in China in spacesuits and emails from my hospital system saying to simply wash hands and use clinical judgment regarding personal protective equipment. 

spacer.png

So all of irans govt now has it

also, anyone that thinks a vaccine will be here before early 2022 if fucking high AF

If this thing starts killing millions of people, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the FDA will almost rubber stamp anything that shows potential. And other countries will just go straight to human trials

Why do I feel like we are going to find out that we aren’t testing because of some fucking political hack in Washington trying to keep a damper on things?  It’s clearly really fucking contagious, based on Iran, Italy, and South Korea.   And we’ve had a shitload of people come over from China.  

Talked to a parent at my kid’s school, who is a surgeon, and she said the info they are getting out of the feds is not very “inspiring” as she put it, so her hospital and their network are working diligently on coming up with their own protocols, or rather refining their existing protocols.   They have people networking with other systems, talking with suppliers, they’ve even looked at temporary facilities (which has happened with bad flu outbreaks), and how their little clinics (urgent care, whatever) could be utilized.  They are going to get people up to speed on PPE, who maybe rusty, etc.   It was not very comforting to know there doesn’t seem to be an organized federalresponse, other than using military bases and a few fed facilities.  I forgot to ask how the state of Texas is prepping   

I’m reallu surprised by the feds public outlook.  Putting aside that we have a germaphobe as President, it’s an election year.   It would not be hard to fuck up the federal response, and arguably they did fuck up by bringing the infected home on the same plane as healthy.   Fuck it up in an election year, and a bunch of people get sick, and some die, and voters might just take that into the voting booth.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just got off the phone with an old friend in Kenya who runs an export business. He spends a lot of time at the airport in Nairobi and knows a few senior people. His take was the virus is in Kenya. People arrived sick, bribed their way in, and went off to hide in the city or out to some farm. He is not a nervous Nelly, but this has him spooked. Asked if I could ship him over some PPE for his farm workers. They get sick, they all starve. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away