Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

So should I be hoping for 2 weeks off work or would 2 weeks stuck inside with the wife be a preview of what hell will be like when I die?

Just suffocate her and pour some fluids down her lungs. Medical examiners will be too busy to spend too much time determining cause of death.

46 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

LA? This woman was handing food and drinks to people who dispersed all over the country/world.

When we first started hearing about travelers through/from Wuhan bringing it to the US and elsewhere, my first thought was that either everybody in Wuhan had it, or somebody, or several somebodies, at the airport had it and was spreading it like nobody's business.

And now we have this.

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Just suffocate her and pour some fluids down her lungs. Medical examiners will be too busy to spend too much time determining cause of death.

I would NEVER do such a thing you heartless bastard....

...I mean just think of how bad the smell would be a week or so into the quarantine.

Edited by SimonBolivar

John Campbell Video

Here is a good video about a Los Alamos analysis that says the R0 was really in the 4.7 to 6.6 range in the early days in Wuhan which led to doubling every 2.4 days. This is what I estimated it would be in the Philippines due to hygiene practices and the average number if people who live together. It would not surprise me if this is the rate of spread in Iran now with no control measures in place.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

John Campbell Video

Here is a good video about a Los Alamos analysis that says the R0 was really in the 4.7 to 6.6 range in the early days in Wuhan which led to doubling every 2.4 days. This is what I estimated it would be in the Philippines due to hygiene practices and the average number if people who live together. It would not surprise me if this is the rate of spread in Iran now with no control measures in place.

Is the rate half that for midgets and dwarves?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Zero cases in mongolia. 

giphy.gif

do you understand how depopulated Mongolia is??  Density dependent population variables don't stand a chance.   It's the size of Europe with the population of Chicago.  Unless yaks can be carriers... then all bets are off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ready.Gov now has a Coronavirus get prepared page.  I guess the stay physically active means will have to invite some womenz to the bunker party. Dammit, off to HEB for more cans of beans and some lube. 

Pandemic

Before a Pandemic

• Store a two week supply of water and food.
  • Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.
  • Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
  • Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic health records.
  • Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.

During a Pandemic

Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection.

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
  • Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
  • Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

Associated Content

In a pinch, the liquid from the can of beans can be used as lube.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

I'm stocking up on known effective herbal remedies/antivirals. Sambucol, Esberitox, Myricitin, etc. Because I travel to NYC and SF almost every week, it seems possible that I'll be exposed prior to a lockdown/slowdown on travel should things reach pandemic stage. Worst case I'll take it if I get the cold or sell it. 

The Chinese published a study when they first had 70000 cases or so. There were no deaths in the 0 to 9 age range, and 10-19 was very low, I think one death. From 20-29 it jumped to .3% and I think it was 0.4% in the 30-39 range. After that it increased into percent ranges and hit 15% or so for 80 year olds.

According to my calculations, the mortality rate for 175 year olds is 100%

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm stocking up on known effective herbal remedies/antivirals. Sambucol, Esberitox, Myricitin, etc. Because I travel to NYC and SF almost every week, it seems possible that I'll be exposed prior to a lockdown/slowdown on travel should things reach pandemic stage. Worst case I'll take it if I get the cold or sell it. 

bought a few extra bottles of sambucol.  worst case they sit in the pantry until next flu season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I've never taken it before - do you use it as a preventative or only when you are showing cold symptoms? I've heard about some low level of liver toxicity. 

Both.  Not aware of any evidence of liver toxicity, but would be interested if there is evidence of toxicity with standardized extracts.  The clinical data is not robust, but what does exist suggests that it is basically equivalent to tamiflu in terms of reduction in duration and severity. We've been using it for years. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Both.  Not aware of any evidence of liver toxicity, but would be interested if there is evidence of toxicity with standardized extracts.  The clinical data is not robust, but what does exist suggests that it is basically equivalent to tamiflu in terms of reduction in duration and severity. We've been using it for years. 

Oh, and there is some lab data that suggests activity against coronavirus. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away