Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

59 minutes ago, Hate said:

Wait, there are people that go to school in North Korea???  That's fucked up.  Could they really not get into school anywhere else? Isn't there an A&M Manila or community college anywhere?

I really need to do a better job proofreading.

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Yep. Totally same/same:

China's Top 10 LARGEST Cities

Shanghai — 23.4 million people.

Beijing — 18.8 million people.

Tianjin — 12.8 million people.

Shenzhen — 12.7 million people.

Guangzhou — 11.6 million people.

Chengdu — 10.2 million people.

Dongguan — 8.3 million people.

Chongqing — 8.2 million people.

that doesn’t even list China’s #1.

Chongqing 30.5 million

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

He said they definitely had 3 patients test positive this morning. Those in charge not ready to say anything about it yet. I hope he's wrong or if right that it doesn't spread farther than that

You believe him?  Would be pretty big news if true. I’m not sure that the current reports support the idea that Arlington even has testing capability. 

4 hours ago, B00M said:

While I think it's possible this is man made, why does a dog getting infected make you think so?

First it came for the chinamen. And I did nothing. Because I was not a communist. Then it came for the Filipinos. And I did nothing. Because I didn't know where the fuck Manila was. Then it came for the Iranians. And I did nothing. Because that country is run by dicks. Then it came for the dogs. And there was no one left to bark. So I took out my rifle and began shooting shit up.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, akhornfan said:

You believe him?  Would be pretty big news if true. I’m not sure that the current reports support the idea that Arlington even has testing capability. 

He's not the type of guy to take time from his busy work day to call me out of the blue with a tasteless prank. I know he also called several of our mutual friends and family as well. Do I believe he believes it? Yes. Is where he got the info from reputable? I would believe so but I don't know. 

I do believe there are far more cases of the virus that our govt and medical centers know about that aren't public. The one thing the people in power now can't afford in a big election year is a cratering economy due to mass panic bringing the majority of US commerce to a temporary halt. The one thing this country relies on is it's citizens spending money like crazy. I fully believe the powers that be would do anything to keep that happening no matter what it costs. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Do I believe he believes it? 

That answers the question

"I never said it was true. I just said I believed that the guy who told me believed it."

Really going to need something a bit more in the way of verification. 

Where do you guys live that HEB and other stores are thunderdomes? Every store I’ve been to in SA is business as usual, nothing’s running out, etc. And that’s with everyone knowing there’s a significant number of Coronavirus patients in the city. People here aren’t scared of nothin, hombre.
Did you check the Vicks and 7 Up stock?

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Now we have a conspiracy that our government is somehow silencing the nation’s medical field on a pandemic. The same nation which is free to spread every other rumor imaginable and has a multitude of tools to accomplish it.

I dunno, Conspiracy is definitely too hard a word but it is sort of the predicament we are in (unless my sarcasm meter is broken)

There are reports that all info has to come from the VP office only, right? So silencing kind of fits at certain very high levels (but would be unbelievable at the local hospital level... sorta).  Then on the other hand, someone (the doc friend) in the nation is freely spreading an imaginable rumor to his buddy who then spreads that via a tool of rather odd bunch of assholes.

Not saying I necessarily believe or disbelieve the rumor but you kind of described our exact current situation when confronting virus info in February 2020. 

For what it's worth, I live in the hood right under the flight path to ABIA. Usually hear a jet go over at least once an hour, but haven't heard one tonight.

Nvm.. one just flew over but the traffic is waaay down
Ummm. It could be the wind is blowing from the north and they're using different runways. The only draw down in schedule so far is Asian flights, but if the heat of summer doesn't slow this spread it will be a blood bath for the industry.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, achooloco said:

I dunno, Conspiracy is definitely too hard a word but it is sort of the predicament we are in (unless my sarcasm meter is broken)

There are reports that all info has to come from the VP office only, right? So silencing kind of fits at certain very high levels (but would be unbelievable at the local hospital level... sorta).  Then on the other hand, someone (the doc friend) in the nation is freely spreading an imaginable rumor to his buddy who then spreads that via a tool of rather odd bunch of assholes.

Not saying I necessarily believe or disbelieve the rumor but you kind of described our exact current situation when confronting virus info in February 2020. 

We aren’t in some communist country where the government controls the media/social media and no punishment exists for them breaking any rumored “rules” which may be in place. On the contrary, medical professionals withholding information concerning public health does have consequences.

• Like 2

Our company is international and has two HQs; one in NA and the other in Europe.  We do quite a bit of international travel, we just had our sales kickoff in Paris last month.  We received an email yesterday shutting down all international travel and telling anyone who can work from home to do so.  I'm remote sales, so I home office anyway.  We're still traveling w/in our respective countries, for now.  I have a week-long workshop with a prospect in Philadelphia in a couple of weeks.  We'll see if it sticks. 

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

We aren’t in some communist country where the government controls the media/social media and no punishment exists for them breaking any rumored “rules” which may be in place. On the contrary, medical professionals withholding information concerning public health does have consequences.

Cases need to be confirmed before they are released. Plus, for HIPAA reasons, the treating physician would never release the info unless the patient gave his approval. There is a facilities exception whereby a provider may disclose certain limited information “for directory purposes”, such as to notify persons who inquire about the patient of the patient’s general condition and location in the facility. However, it must be consistent with the patient's wishes and the patient's information has to be asked for by name, ie it can't be a general media inquiry. Thus, I assume it has to go to a public health official who then releases the info. I'm not a hospital administrator though so I'm not positive how the process works.

12 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Our company is international and has two HQs; one in NA and the other in Europe.  We do quite a bit of international travel, we just had our sales kickoff in Paris last month.  We received an email yesterday shutting down all international travel and telling anyone who can work from home to do so.  I'm remote sales, so I home office anyway.  We're still traveling w/in our respective countries, for now.  I have a week-long workshop with a prospect in Philadelphia in a couple of weeks.  We'll see if it sticks. 

I was just tasked with finding a virtual conference platform because we are going to cancel all our international conferences the next couple quarters. 

22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Cases need to be confirmed before they are released. Plus, for HIPAA reasons, the treating physician would never release the info unless the patient gave his approval. There is a facilities exception whereby a provider may disclose certain limited information “for directory purposes”, such as to notify persons who inquire about the patient of the patient’s general condition and location in the facility. However, it must be consistent with the patient's wishes and the patient's information has to be asked for by name, ie it can't be a general media inquiry. Thus, I assume it has to go to a public health official who then releases the info. I'm not a hospital administrator though so I'm not positive how the process works.

I’m not sure that HIPAA rules fully apply for diseases of public health significance. I wouldn’t think that the doctor can hold a press conference to say that I had coronavirus but he definitely can tell the state health organizations without the patients approval if the disease is deemed significant.  I assume coronavirus meets that definition.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m not sure that HIPAA rules fully apply for diseases of public health significance. I wouldn’t think that the doctor can hold a press conference to say that I had coronavirus but he definitely can tell the state health organizations without the patients approval if the disease is deemed significant.  I assume coronavirus meets that definition.

There are public health exceptions for certain public health authorities. Not sure this specific example being discussed would fit that exemption or not. 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If you are reading this thread for anything other than pure entertainment, you are doing it wrong. 

I just had a guy predict the collapse of China, call me a dumbfuck for mocking it, and then he doubled down by predicting the fall of the far eastern manufacturing base and the resurrection of manufacturing power in Europe and the United States. And I mean, he meant it. That’s just one. Every page is a trail of gold breadcrumbs. 

If the numbers from China are to be believed, the number recovered is far outpacing the new cases. 

the death toll in China is 0.0002% of the population. It’s only 0.025% of the population of Wuhan city. 

Almost 4000 people in China die every single day. 

However, the numbers from China are probably all lies and the death toll is likely in the 6 figures. (Even if it were it would still be less than 1% of the population of Wuhan). 

8 hours ago, Hate said:

Wait, there are people that go to school in North Korea???  That's fucked up.  Could they really not get into school anywhere else? Isn't there an A&M Manila or community college anywhere?

you really don't want to get the coronavirus in North Korea

https://www.ibtimes.sg/north-koreas-first-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-patient-shot-dead-report-40042

In what appears to be a rather drastic measure to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID 19), North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un allegedly sanctioned for the execution of the first North Korean patient tested positive for the deadly strain of the virus.

11 hours ago, Apep said:

The dog could be environmentally contaminated, but that's been one of my big questions. Can dogs get it and, if so, can they spread it to other dogs in adjoining yards (not to mention all the strays)?

Confirmed!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As long as the patient isn't identified or related information provided that could potentially identify the patient, how would it be a HIPAA violation? 

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As long as the patient isn't identified or related information provided that could potentially identify the patient, how would it be a HIPAA violation? 

HIPAA protected data elements include some very basic descriptors such as service dates, geographic region, certain demographic information, etc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There are public health exceptions for certain public health authorities. Not sure this specific example being discussed would fit that exemption or not. 

here is what y'all are looking for: https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/february-2020-hipaa-and-novel-coronavirus.pdf

HIPAA is nothing to mess around with.

TbPs5nGT

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

He said it was unclear whether the dog had actually contracted the virus or tested positive for low levels due to environmental contamination of the dog's mouth and nose.

I'm gonna guess the latter. 

the international law firm I work for told everyone to cancel any travel to CDC level 2 or 3 classification. Currently that’s China and South Korea as level 3. Iran, northern Italy, and japan are level 2. Anyone coming back from any of those places is supposed to self quarantine and work from home for 2 weeks. 

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

It's almost hard to believe these guys were this bad with handling coronavirus...up to SEVEN government officials that have it.

T

You’ve to figure that when the upper crust of a society starts getting saturated with cases that it’s become endemic in the general population.

27 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Current scheduled travel by week, still on:

3/2 - SA/KC 

3/9 - NYC 

3/16 - San Juan PR (Personal)

3/23 - OC/Nashville

3/30 - SF

4/6 - NYC

No company restrictions or cancelled invitations yet. 

In addition to my usual partner visits, I'm supposed to be working HIMMS and NAB this spring. Watching closely, and I'll cancel one or both at the first whiff that they're talking about canceling. Not out of fear of the virus, but just because I don't want to spend a week in Orlando and another week in Vegas if I can avoid it. 

23 hours ago, Somnio said:

SIAP

So, the Pope may have Coronavirus...

https://time.com/5791543/pope-francis-cancels-slight-illness/

So I realize we have no idea if the Pope has covid-2019, but I can’t imagine the panic among believers if he were to (heaven forbid) die from it.  If he’s visiting the infected in Italy, I hope it’s in His Holy Hazmat Suit.

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

You’ve to figure that when the upper crust of a society starts getting saturated with cases that it’s become endemic in the general population.

or the guy in charge of over seeing things was an asshole who thought rules were for other others...  and he brought that back to a cabinet meeting.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So I realize we have no idea if the Pope has covid-2019, but I can’t imagine the panic among believers if he were to (heaven forbid) die from it.  If he’s visiting the infected in Italy, I hope it’s in His Holy Hazmat Suit.

just need to add better air filters to the popemobile 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away