Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

42 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I’m 59. My wife is 60.  Our elderly are gone but we’re right below the wheelhouse. Fuck off. 

Then you should probably be happy if a lot of folks would hole up in their homes.    This is going to be painful, like we would need to ask NowThis how to cope with the pain kind of painful.  China half-assed the response, even suppressed a lot of information and tried to cover things up, so that by the time they implemented more serious measures it was too late.    Me thinks it’s the same thing in Iran.   South Korea got fucked by that woman ducking out of the hospital quarantine and infecting her cult.

Italy is who we should be watching, and they started acting quickly to isolate regions and get people to cut down on getting out and about   

Our problem here in the US, is we have a lot of people who aren’t paying attention, and don’t think it’s a big thing, perhaps reinforced by  politicians, and more importantly, us not really testing for 6 weeks.    Had the government done a much better job from the start with testing and travel bans, and we were seeing human-to-human cases early on, a lot of people would have been motivated to prepare, and perhaps we could have lowered that transmission rate just a little bit.  

Don’t worry, nobody is going to be welding our doors shut or hauling us in for walking along the street.    But we are going to have to acknowledge that this is going to be tough.

24 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Use a wash cloth.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

We have a lot of Swiss Chard in the garden so until the weather turns warm we could get by and if the virus lessens as the weather warms, we'll be ahead of the game. For those of you who read the "Wives and the..." thread, and have a surplus frou-frou pillow problem, the good news is one could lessen the problem by starting a rumor that excess decorative pillows harbor coronavirus. The bad news is that once the illness has passed you will be welcomed to bed by twenty new pillows.

Seriously though, stay safe out there!

1 minute ago, Bigbend1812 said:

That shit is going to cut through that LTAC life wildfire. 

There is going to be some young dude who just started working there, and he’s going to realize what he’s been exposed to, and he’s going to take off, and then Stephen King is going to write him into the first chapter or two of a new book.  

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Already added another 500+ to top 3500.

What is their daily testing capacity?  Have we seen anything definitive?  I saw somewhere they have tested over 50,000 total but haven't seen anything official.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What is their daily testing capacity?  Have we seen anything definitive?  I saw somewhere they have tested over 50,000 total but haven't seen anything official.

this was from two days ago, before they hit 3,000   ROK is rocking the testing.   It also makes us look pathetic as hell   

https://abcnews.go.com/International/massive-coronavirus-testing-program-south-korea-underscores-nimble/story?id=69226222

“Global health experts say the speed and scope of South Korea’s novel coronavirus diagnostic capability exhibit impressive and significant lab capabilities that no other countries, including the U.S., can match at the moment.

South Korea had tested a total of 66,652 people for the COVID-19 coronavirus virus as of 4 p.m. local time Thursday, whereas Japan had reported administering roughly 1,890 tests and the U.S. only 445. The huge discrepancy compared to other countries reflects how quickly South Korea’s numbers have been rising, experts say.

The total number of confirmed cases so far in South Korea is 1,766, up 505 from the day before. Of the 66,00 people who have been tested, more than 25,000 are still awaiting lab results”

More than 10,000 people a day are being tested around the clock, propelled by a sense of concern that the virus may spread outside of Daegu area, where around 80 percent of all confirmed cases have been found.

"This week is crucial for us in determining whether we have successfully dealt with COVID-19," South Korea Prime Minister Chung Sye-Kyun said.

The tests are being run at 79 designated health centers, in addition to authorized private hospitals and public health labs across the country.”

“"We have quickly selected these institutions after training and evaluation programs held on Feb. 7 and 20," official Park Hyun Kyu at Korea's Center for Disease Control told ABC News. "They do preliminary screening, then send all positively sampled results to us for final diagnosis."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

this was from two days ago, before they hit 3,000   ROK is rocking the testing.   It also makes us look pathetic as hell   

https://abcnews.go.com/International/massive-coronavirus-testing-program-south-korea-underscores-nimble/story?id=69226222

“Global health experts say the speed and scope of South Korea’s novel coronavirus diagnostic capability exhibit impressive and significant lab capabilities that no other countries, including the U.S., can match at the moment.

South Korea had tested a total of 66,652 people for the COVID-19 coronavirus virus as of 4 p.m. local time Thursday, whereas Japan had reported administering roughly 1,890 tests and the U.S. only 445. The huge discrepancy compared to other countries reflects how quickly South Korea’s numbers have been rising, experts say.

The total number of confirmed cases so far in South Korea is 1,766, up 505 from the day before. Of the 66,00 people who have been tested, more than 25,000 are still awaiting lab results”

More than 10,000 people a day are being tested around the clock, propelled by a sense of concern that the virus may spread outside of Daegu area, where around 80 percent of all confirmed cases have been found.

"This week is crucial for us in determining whether we have successfully dealt with COVID-19," South Korea Prime Minister Chung Sye-Kyun said.

The tests are being run at 79 designated health centers, in addition to authorized private hospitals and public health labs across the country.”

“"We have quickly selected these institutions after training and evaluation programs held on Feb. 7 and 20," official Park Hyun Kyu at Korea's Center for Disease Control told ABC News. "They do preliminary screening, then send all positively sampled results to us for final diagnosis."

* moves to South Korea

Seattle news reporting on firefighters who responded to that center being quarantined.  This is fine.  Everything is fine.  

It’s clever how the “smart” people say “don’t buy masks - they won’t help you” but the instructions for entering the infected fire station start with the mask.

Which is it? Masks or no masks? Looks like masks to me.

I’m sure I’m overreacting.

Remember the guy they wouldn’t test, who went through two hospitals?

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/02/28/coronavirus-medical-staff/

This week at UC Davis Medical Center, 36 Registered Nurses and 88 other health care workers had to self-quarantine after coming into contact with the nation’s first unknown-origin coronavirus case.

9 minutes ago, CoTex said:

It’s clever how the “smart” people say “don’t buy masks - they won’t help you” but the instructions for entering the infected fire station start with the mask.

Which is it? Masks or no masks? Looks like masks to me.

I’m sure I’m overreacting.

The caveat is masks will help to prevent you (plague spreader) from spreading it to others. It is to help others.

• Like 1

The caveat is masks will help to prevent you (plague spreader) from spreading it to others. It is to help others.

I agree - that’s the party line - but why do the instructions taped to the door in that video say don mask when entering station to get gear? To help others? The building is empty.

I’m not smart enough to reconcile those two.

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Day late but 2/28 is when this thread started mostly only showing BNO tweets for states cases instead of country ones. Buckle up.

So next week, we will start showing tweets for individual cities?

Edited by atomheartbevo

11 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I agree - that’s the party line - but why do the instructions taped to the door in that video say don mask when entering station to get gear? To help others? The building is empty.

I’m not smart enough to reconcile those two.

I guess it sounds better than hold your breath and run inside real fast.

At Costco at 183 and Braker today, toilet paper was sold out.  Non perishables like pasta were running low.   The shelves above floor level were lower than I have ever seen.  I’m not too worried about the virus but am very worried about the people. Any yes, I am the people since I just bought way more shit than I need today.

In another development, conferences are starting to be cancelled.  My FIL just had his trip to Denver cancelled because the APS conference was cancelled due to virus concerns.   https://march.aps.org. Would have started on Monday.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So next week, we will start showing tweets for individual cities?

If we’re unlucky?

Looking at the SK timeline, and assuming it’s already here in mostly undetected mild cases but on the other hand we have a much larger country with mass transit limited to a few large cities... 12 days until they get posted more than state tweets but yeah, next week when the first BNO city tweets pop up. But hey, fingers crossed, the longer it takes the better!

42 minutes ago, F250 said:

I can't determine if it is I or my girlfriends that are the super spreaders.

https://www.myfoxzone.com/article/news/health/sxsw-2020-coronavirus-petition/504-b36f4c63-9ab8-42fd-8151-667bc294f6a6

Thousands sign petition calling on SXSW to cancel 2020 event as coronavirus spreads

The petition asked the festival to think about the “people who could die because of this.”

interestingly enough when they quizzed thousands of people that signed the petition what coronavirus was none could say, but they did say that SXSW needed to be canceled

34 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Wait I though it was suppose to die off with high temps?  The face you are getting cases there with those temps is not good. 

The Philippines is not getting new cases yet but Thailand is and Singapore did with similar temperatures.

The R0 will likely drop with temperature, but it still appears to reproduce with R0 greater that 1.0.

Flu has a lower R0 in winter of 1.4 or 1.5 per one source I heard. That allows it to drop below 1.0 when the temperatures go up. The covid 19 virus has an R0 of 4.7 to 6.6 which stays well above above 1.0 in Thailand temperatures.

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

The Philippines is not getting new cases yet but Thailand is and Singapore did with similar temperatures.

The R0 will likely drop with temperature, but it still appears to reproduce with R0 greater that 1.0.

Flu has a lower R0 in winter of 1.4 or 1.5 per one source I heard. That allows it to drop below 1.0 when the temperatures go up. The covid 19 virus has an R0 of 4.7 to 6.6 which stays well above above 1.0 in Thailand temperatures.

A lot of cities are densely populated and people are forced into close proximity to each. Subways, markets, busses and trains. If you are immunological naive, you get infected. Only a letter of time.

Worst thing is that people are going to kill their own relatives.

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Seriously. Y’all know what we are dealing with. This shit is gonna make the gas lines and water hoarding during a hurricane look like child’s play. The problem is not the virus. The problem is that we are going to overwhelm our healthcare system and people are going to act like total retards. 

if you want to go tinfoil CR on it, imagine another stressor gets added to the system. Take your pick. Maybe an electrical grid breach. Or social media ramping this shit up. Buckle up buckaroos. 

Millenials everywhere are fucked, that's all you had to say, Millennials everywhere are fucked.

NY Times:

The virus may have been in Washington State for weeks.

As Washington State declared a state of emergency over the new coronavirus, researchers who studied two cases in the state say that the virus may have been spreading there for weeks, suggesting the possibility that up to 1,500 people in the state may have been infected.

The state became the site of the country’s first coronavirus death on Saturday, at a time when President Trump issued new foreign travel warnings and restrictions in an effort to stop the spread of the virus, while also urging calm among members of the public.

The number of confirmed cases worldwide had reached nearly 87,000 as of Sunday, with more than 7,000 cases outside mainland China, where the outbreak began late last year. The virus has now been detected in at least 60 countries.

With 71 cases confirmed in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration announced this weekend that testing for the coronavirus would be greatly expanded in the country, a move that is expected to improve the pace of detecting infections and help identify patterns of suspected or confirmed cases.

In Washington State, researchers compared two cases in the hopes of gaining such insight. One case, which last month became the first in the United States, appeared in a patient from whom health officials took a sample on Jan. 19. Another case that surfaced in the region last week probably descended from it, based on an analysis of the virus’s genetic sequence.

The findings suggest that the virus has been spreading in the community for close to six weeks, according to one of the scientists who compared the sequences, Trevor Bedford, an associate professor at the University of Washington.

If that is true, it could mean that 150 to 1,500 people “have either been infected and recovered or currently are infected now,” said Mike Famulare, a researcher at the Institute for Disease Modeling in Bellevue, Wash., who performed the analysis. Those cases, if they exist, have thus far been undetected.

Many of those people might not yet be contagious, Dr. Famulare said.

His estimation was based on a simulation using what scientists have learned about the incubation period and transmissibility of the virus. He characterized his estimate of community cases as a “best guess, with broad uncertainty.” Another method, based on census data and estimated sampling, produced similar results, he said.

8 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

The virus may have been in Washington State for weeks.

I’ve been saying that it’s likely been in the U.S. for weeks. 

We weren’t testing for it and the screening was a joke. The number of people in this country who probably have it, or had it, will likely never be known. I wonder how many doctors are saying, oh shit, maybe that person, or that person, didn’t have a typical respiratory infection?

• Like 3

We weren’t testing for it and the screening was a joke. The number of people in this country who probably have it, or had it, will likely never be known. I wonder how many doctors are saying, oh shit, maybe that person, or that person, didn’t have a typical respiratory infection?
I'm with you. Of course, that's why I think ultimately, the severity and fatality here will go down. Probably a lit of folks have had it and though it was just a cold.

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Read more  

I'm with you. Of course, that's why I think ultimately, the severity and fatality here will go down. Probably a lit of folks have had it and though it was just a cold.

On one hand the virus spreading unbeknownst to government and healthcare officials for weeks seems very bad. On the other hand people just thinking it’s the flu or bad cold and not dropping dead into trees is a positive. 

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away