Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

59 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

If true, it’s scary that 20% of those infected require hospitalization. I assume that zero US communities have hospitals with enough beds. This could be an action that the govt could start preparing for now.

47 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

The virus is (basically) everywhere. 

Stop worrying about stopping the spread. Start worrying about what to do if shit hits the fan. 

That’s just it; my coping strategy Is that all you can do is buy a few more supplies on grocery runs until the possibility of being isolated 2-4 weeks becomes inevitable. Then make a mad dash and bunker down. Water and electricity will not get shut off, you’ll probably get the Wuhan but odds are really really good you won’t die from the virus. 

my problem is that I’m only focusing on the MTA being shut down and then being forced to stay home. I keep having to remind myself that that’ll be 1-2 weeks but what if I then get sick? I’ll have to add another 2-3 weeks of time off and more supplies needed.

Would suck for me but not sure how that type of scenario and it’s impact plays out for the rest country and the economy. Let’s say people get mild symptoms and go to work so they then start another round of sick people in their area. At least the economy won’t suffer that much but then one or two people they know do get really sick? There’s a lot of unknown shit to ponder. 

edit: for me, that really isn’t shit hitting the fan. It’s not the apocalypse. Shit will suck but it’s seemingly manageable with a little bit of prep work and rationalization. 

Edited by achooloco
Ed

14 minutes ago, achooloco said:

That’s just it; my coping strategy Is that all you can do is buy a few more supplies on grocery runs until the possibility of being isolated 2-4 weeks becomes inevitable. Then make a mad dash and bunker down. Water and electricity will not get shut off, you’ll probably get the Wuhan but odds are really really good you won’t die from the virus. 

my problem is that I’m only focusing on the MTA being shut down and then being forced to stay home. I keep having to remind myself that that’ll be 1-2 weeks but what if I then get sick? I’ll have to add another 2-3 weeks of time off and more supplies needed.

Would suck for me but not sure how that type of scenario and it’s impact plays out for the rest country and the economy. Let’s say people get mild symptoms and go to work so they then start another round of sick people in their area. At least the economy won’t suffer that much but then one or two people they know do get really sick? There’s a lot of unknown shit to ponder. 

edit: for me, that really isn’t shit hitting the fan. It’s not the apocalypse. Shit will suck but it’s seemingly manageable with a little bit of prep work and rationalization. 

Why would the MTA shut down only be 2 weeks? I'm anticipating teleworking for months.

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

If we keep spreading it around, the healthcare system will be overwhelmed, and a lot of people who might have milder medical emergencies might have those milder emergencies turn into something more serious.   Not to mention the costs of our hospitals staying constantly full from the virus - plenty of poors and olds are going to require us to pay their costs.   And if we keep spreading it around, businesses will have to keep closing due to employee quarantines and/or having to disinfect, and/or having their business go in the shitter when nobody wants to eat or shop there because employees caught the virus.  

And that’s not even getting into what supply chain disruptions could be caused by the continual spread of it.  

Unfortunately we have far too many aggy-like sunshine pumpers out there as well, trying to distort the picture - there was some dipshit on one of the morning shows this morning claiming that companies like Apple are back to normal, etc. which would certainly be news to Apple executives who were just issuing warnings a few days ago, and where the factory production is still in the shitter due to lack of employees from the strict travel bans, not to mention the two-week quarantines for returning workers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

In Washington State, researchers compared two cases in the hopes of gaining such insight. One case, which last month became the first in the United States, appeared in a patient from whom health officials took a sample on Jan. 19. Another case that surfaced in the region last week probably descended from it, based on an analysis of the virus’s genetic sequence.

And absolutely none of us in this thread were surprised.  

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’ve been saying that it’s likely been in the U.S. for weeks. 

We weren’t testing for it and the screening was a joke. The number of people in this country who probably have it, or had it, will likely never be known. I wonder how many doctors are saying, oh shit, maybe that person, or that person, didn’t have a typical respiratory infection?

It would be great if all of the folks in all of the government agencies, whether they be career bureaucrats or politicians/appointees, and including the folks who knew better and didn’t go to the media, were to pay a heavy price for this incompetence.  Publicly named and shamed, careers destroyed, etc.  

We routinely fire military officers and NCOs Who have decades of service,  for “loss of confidence” in their “ability to command, and maintain operational readiness and the mission.”  We should apply it here.   

• Like 2

For those predicting that the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed, where are they getting the percentage of cases that require hospitalization?  The Medium article randomly predicted 20%. 

Again, I think this is a case of using what looks like a relatively low figure to extrapolate catastrophe, but failing to point out that if it’s just 1%, or even some lower number, that it’s relatively inconsequential. 

Realistically we have no idea how often as case requires hospitalization. 

• Like 1

Read what you want and take what you want. Just passing along an email.

"Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP"”

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be great if all of the folks in all of the government agencies, whether they be career bureaucrats or politicians/appointees, and including the folks who knew better and didn’t go to the media, became infected with Coronavirus.

trimming it down for ya.

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

Does having sex with 5 or 6 different women a week make me immunologically naive or a super spreader?

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

It makes you a goddamn American hero.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

It makes you my hero.

Ray, you forgot "paying girlfriends hookers to have sex with 5 or 6 different women a week". I have nothing against your lifestyle, but it does make me laugh when you talk about your girlfriends. Anyone on this thread could do the exact same thing, especially if they left family / friends to move to another country solely to exploit currency exchange. Vic is more of a hero, at least he earns it by paying attention to those who are "glandularly challenged". 

Edited by Serak The Preparer

26 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

For those predicting that the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed, where are they getting the percentage of cases that require hospitalization?  The Medium article randomly predicted 20%. 

First, keep in mind that hospitalization can run 2-3 weeks.  Second, our hospitals have to have the decontamination facilities, and PPE for every caregiver who comes into contact with a virus patient.    That’s not a given for smaller hospitals. 

The number is partly based on the tens of thousands of hospital beds from the dozens of newly-built/converted hospitals in China.  

Also, considering that serious and critical cases have to be hospitalized, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Germany, France, and the United States are all following the trend of at least 10% of confirmed cases being hospitalized, with some much higher (indicating they have a lot of undiagnosed cases).   South Korea is an outlier (lower percentage) because that cult has skewed the numbers, and Iran (much higher %) is like China, no trust in numbers.  

The problem for us, is that even if it was just 5%, that’s enough to overwhelm our system.  Our hospitals are built to run at nearly full capacity.  It was amazing that NYC was able to specify 1,200 potential beds for the virus, until you realize that’s 5% of their 26,000+ beds.  Equivalent in Austin would be 250 beds, which means 2,500 or so cases.  Probably more like 3,500 cases, since our city skews younger.  

20 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Ray, you forgot "paying girlfriends hookers to have sex with 5 or 6 different women a week". I have nothing against your lifestyle, but it does make me laugh when you talk about your girlfriends. Anyone on this thread could do the exact same thing, especially if they left family / friends to move to another country solely to exploit currency exchange. Vic is more of a hero, at least he earns it by paying attention to those who are "glandularly challenged". 

spacer.png

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

went back to first page of thread and this was the 3rd post.  @workswithseed knows something that we don't know apparently

His post was from January 22.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/23/coronavirus-timeline-from-wuhan-to-washington-state

21 January

Health officials in Washington state report the first case in the US. The man is in his 30s and is in good condition at a hospital in Everett, Washington, after returning to the area last week from China. He was believed to have travelled to the Wuhan area.

Speaking of timelines, from that January 22 article, how quaint.  

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/23/coronavirus-timeline-from-wuhan-to-washington-state

From the first reports on 31 December, the virus has spread across China and reached as far as the US, infecting hundreds and leaving at least 17 dead

29 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

You must be a riot at parties

Took a little walk down memory lane this morning to read about the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.  Based on how people are reacting to corona and comparing the numbers, I can't help but wonder how we didn't all completely lose our minds and go running for the hills while that was going on.  59million caught it.  265,000 were hospitalized for it.  12,000 deaths from it.  There were over 1,000 dead in the US before the government even issued an emergency declaration.

2009 flu pandemic in the United States

I can't help but wonder how that would have all gone down if social media was as omnipresent then as it is now.  (And yes, I know Twitter etc. existed back then, but it wasn't nearly as widespread.)

*WARNING*

If the mention of politicians by name offends your sensibilities do not click on the link.

The first wave wasn’t that bad. In the spring of 1918, a new strain of influenza hit military camps in Europe on both sides of World War I. Soldiers were affected, but not nearly as severely as they would be later.

Even so, Britain, France, Germany and other European governments kept it secret. They didn’t want to hand the other side a potential advantage.

Spain, on the other hand, was a neutral country in the war. When the disease hit there, the government and newspapers reported it accurately. Even the king got sick.

So months later, when a bigger, deadlier wave swept across the globe, it seemed like it had started in Spain, even though it hadn’t. Simply because the Spanish told the truth, the virus was dubbed the “Spanish flu.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/29/1918-flu-coronavirus-trump/

9 minutes ago, Somnio said:

*WARNING*

If the mention of politicians by name offends your sensibilities do not click on the link.

The first wave wasn’t that bad. In the spring of 1918, a new strain of influenza hit military camps in Europe on both sides of World War I. Soldiers were affected, but not nearly as severely as they would be later.

Even so, Britain, France, Germany and other European governments kept it secret. They didn’t want to hand the other side a potential advantage.

Spain, on the other hand, was a neutral country in the war. When the disease hit there, the government and newspapers reported it accurately. Even the king got sick.

So months later, when a bigger, deadlier wave swept across the globe, it seemed like it had started in Spain, even though it hadn’t. Simply because the Spanish told the truth, the virus was dubbed the “Spanish flu.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/29/1918-flu-coronavirus-trump/

Paywall

you don’t pay a hooker to fuck, you pay a hooker to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

A few other tidbits....

President Woodrow Wilson released no public statements. Surgeon General Rupert Blue said, “There is no cause for alarm if proper precautions are observed.” Another top health official, Barry said, dismissed it as “ordinary influenza by another name.”

But it wasn’t. The Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2 percent — much higher than seasonal influenza strains, and similar to some early estimates about the coronavirus.

As the pandemic raged through October of that year, Americans could see with their own eyes that the “absurd reassurances” coming from local and national officials weren’t true. This crisis of credibility led to wild rumors about bogus cures and unnecessary precautions, Barry said.

The Spanish flu ultimately killed about 50 million people worldwide, including 675,000 people in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Even President Wilson caught it, in the middle of negotiations to end the Great War.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away