Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

11 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

JFC.  We are from the government and we are here to help.  We are all fucked.

Not that I think the govt will not eff things up, but I completely disagree with this mentality: what do you expect? Perfection when it comes to containing the virus? It's not gonna happen. Especially when people can be asymptomatic for week(s) before they show symptoms. What are you going to do? Quarantine everybody who we might think is infected? For how long? 

This is like the guy who called it negligence for not taking the temperature of every person (not a sample, not a subset, not those who are showing symptoms) coming into the US from the "pacific" (however that is defined). I mean, jesus, you can have the virus and not show a temp, so what the fuck good is taking the temp of every single person? The point seems only to be to make people feel better. It's unrealistic and going to be phenomenally expensive and more disruptive than the virus itself. 

• Like 2

It’s naive of anyone to think it hasn’t been in every state for a month or more. 

That’s where I’m at. All of these American cities with international travelers and tourists by the thousands every day?

What are they going to tell us? All of these corona deaths who would normally succumb to the flu and nobody would bat an eye.. but they’re now corona deaths so we’re gonna freak out about it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Posted this yesterday. Watch the Iranian numbers go from 1000 cases to 1000 recovered in a day

I’ve been wondering how you count the secondary and tertiary deaths.  People who die not from the virus but from the societal ripple it causes (most applicable to 2nd and 3rd world countries vs the US).

Edited by Goredho

25 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Not that I think the govt will not eff things up, but I completely disagree with this mentality: what do you expect? Perfection when it comes to containing the virus? It's not gonna happen. Especially when people can be asymptomatic for week(s) before they show symptoms. What are you going to do? Quarantine everybody who we might think is infected? For how long? 

This is like the guy who called it negligence for not taking the temperature of every person (not a sample, not a subset, not those who are showing symptoms) coming into the US from the "pacific" (however that is defined). I mean, jesus, you can have the virus and not show a temp, so what the fuck good is taking the temp of every single person? The point seems only to be to make people feel better. It's unrealistic and going to be phenomenally expensive and more disruptive than the virus itself. 

Positive ID of it is mushrooming around the world, we’re past contain, so it’s going to run its course.  Best efforts should try to draw out the incidence rate as much as possible to lessen the real time burden on the medical infrastructure.  

Programs for free hand sanitizer and max education about frequent hand washing w soap and water when going place to place, minimize hand shaking, and avoiding hands to face would help slow the rate of spread.  But places like nursing homes will have to really step up the door and surface wipe downs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I’ve been wondering how you count the secondary and tertiary deaths.  People who die not from the virus but from the societal ripple it causes (most applicable to 2nd and 3rd world countries vs the US).

There will be sufficient historical data to model it once all the dust settles. 

Question about the BNO news map, why don’t they have a little circle in Iceland, Nigeria, ecuador, etc?

The gf Is in Quito (6 cases) now due to a relative passing (fuck cancer) and at church they told her the Bishop said no more shaking hands in the “peace be with you” part of service. So it’s spreading there already, people are taking precautions, but no little orange dot from BNO. 

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

There was a recent story on NPR about zinc lozenges and their ability to lessen the symptoms of the flu (really).

The problem is that only zinc works, and additives such as citrus/citric acid (?) reduce the effectiveness, and that most zinc lozenges sold in stores contain the citrus additive.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/02/10/803886479/taking-zinc-can-shorten-your-cold-thank-a-91-year-old-scientist-for-the-discover

ok anyone find a product on amazon that works for this?

The study finds that two different zinc compounds — zinc acetate and zinc gluconate — are both effective. And there's no evidence, the researchers say, that increasing those doses of zinc (to 100 milligrams per day or more) leads to any greater efficacy.

Great news. Nonetheless, "it's quite difficult to instruct patients," says Hemilä, the author of the meta-analysis. That's because zinc cold formulations sold at drugstores often contain multiple ingredients that can undercut the zinc's effectiveness. For instance, the lozenges "should not contain citric acid," Hemilä says, because it binds with the zinc in a way that keeps the mineral from being released. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Question about the BNO news map, why don’t they have a little circle in Iceland, Nigeria, ecuador, etc?

The gf Is in Quito (6 cases) now due to a relative passing (fuck cancer) and at church they told her the Bishop said no more shaking hands in the “peace be with you” part of service. So it’s spreading there already, people are taking precautions, but no little orange dot from BNO. 

Could be they missed it, but they maybe going off of a database (WHO, whoever) that haven’t logged them yet.   

So an IV drip that includes zinc would work as well or better than the lozenges? Or would it not have the same impact whatsoever? I went into the local CVS this morning and it was pandemonium over the lozenges. Two guys got into a fistfight over the last box of 12 packs. After one of the guys was knocked unconscious, the other guy took off for the door with the box of lozenge packs in hand. The off-duty cop manning the bottled water section chased him outside and shot him twice in the back as he ran for his car. This enabled me to abscond with the few remaining canned items and an industrial jug of hand sanitizer while people were distracted. Still, no zinc so I'm feeling a little incomplete in finishing my stock up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Do we know why Iran has such a high number of instances?  Lots of Chinese going there or what?

Someone traveled from Wuhan to Qom on business.  Then religion went religion.  

Within eight days of the first reported death in Iran, covid-19 had spread to twenty-four of the country’s thirty-one provinces. The number of cases has roughly doubled daily since Tuesday. Instead of closing down public sites, a measure that public-health experts have taken in other countries, the head of the shrine in Qom called on pilgrims to keep coming. “We consider this holy shrine to be a place of healing. That means people should come here to heal from spiritual and physical diseases,” Mohammad Saeedi, who is also the representative of Iran’s Supreme Leader in Qom, said in a video. Cases traced back to Iran have been reported in Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Canada, Georgia, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, and the United Arab Emirates. Many of these cases have been linked specifically to visits to Qom.

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

So an IV drip that includes zinc would work as well or better than the lozenges? Or would it not have the same impact whatsoever? I went into the local CVS this morning and it was pandemonium over the lozenges. Two guys got into a fistfight over the last box of 12 packs. After one of the guys was knocked unconscious, the other guy took off for the door with the box of lozenge packs in hand. The off-duty cop manning the bottled water section chased him outside and shot him twice in the back as he ran for his car. This enabled me to abscond with the few remaining canned items and an industrial jug of hand sanitizer while people were distracted. Still, no zinc so I'm feeling a little incomplete in finishing my stock up.

Who got the lozenges when the dude dropped? You’re slipping CTJ...

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hope you shot video

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Who got the lozenges when the dude dropped? You’re slipping CTJ...

I thought I'd implied it when I said I was able to escape during the distraction, but there was a crowd of people picking through the guy's loot before tossing his body in a nearby dumpster and then setting it on fire.

• Like 2

so i've had my seasonal cold that i get every february/march, which is usually due to oak and molds. i'm starting to wonder if it is this thing, as i was at ces in january. then my mind wanders onto how many people were in las vegas for that show, and how they flew home, connecting flights, airport contact, etc. and i wonder if this coronavirus thing is just a cold gone bad for people with underlying issues. 

we don't think much when we've got a bit of a sniffle and a slight cough and no fever. 

i tend to think that the severity of the cases we are seeing are kind of self-selecting, if that makes sense. we know they are infected because they are REALLY fucking sick, and so those are the ones we are testing.

i dunno.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I thought I'd implied it when I said I was able to escape during the distraction, but there was a crowd of people picking through the guy's loot before tossing his body in a nearby dumpster and then setting it on fire.

Waste of meat, fat, and skin if you ask me. 

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so i've had my seasonal cold that i get every february/march, which is usually due to oak and molds. i'm starting to wonder if it is this thing, as i was at ces in january. then my mind wanders onto how many people were in las vegas for that show, and how they flew home, connecting flights, airport contact, etc. and i wonder if this coronavirus thing is just a cold gone bad for people with underlying issues. 

we don't think much when we've got a bit of a sniffle and a slight cough and no fever. 

i tend to think that the severity of the cases we are seeing are kind of self-selecting, if that makes sense. we know they are infected because they are REALLY fucking sick, and so those are the ones we are testing.

i dunno.

That's my suspicion as well.  That's why we don't know the "death rate," because we don't have a good number for the actual number of cases.  Between people who are effectively asymptomatic or just have a mild cold, those are a lot of folks who are likely NOT to be in the pool of total known cases.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can’t believe this satire. You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Smart- fire kills the virus.  Who says mobs don't have wisdom?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away