Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes, but is shows cities are waking up to the threat. And schools closing would cause an impact on society. Think this is just the first step to that unless we get a handle on this pretty damn quick. 

The federal govt has been nothing but incompetent in their response, but I’m actually slightly encouraged by the general public’s response. Target & HEB are utterly wiped out of cleaning supplies here in SA. Everyone’s making a big deal about hand washing and cleaning things now. This has been the biggest or one of the biggest stories worldwide for over a month now. It’s not catching anyone by surprise.

Everyone wants to compare this to the spanish flu, mostly because this is also a flu strain and they have no understanding about how spanish flu went down. Most of the world had no idea that outbreak was even going on for most of it. More importantly hardly anyone knew the simple precautions to help defend against it. That’s not the case nowadays. 

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The federal govt has been nothing but incompetent in their response, but I’m actually slightly encouraged by the general public’s response. Target & HEB are utterly wiped out of cleaning supplies here in SA. Everyone’s making a big deal about hand washing and cleaning things now. This has been the biggest or one of the biggest stories worldwide for over a month now. It’s not catching anyone by surprise.

Everyone wants to compare this to the spanish flu, mostly because this is also a flu strain and they have no understanding about how spanish flu went down. Most of the world had no idea that outbreak was even going on for most of it. More importantly hardly anyone knew the simple precautions to help defend against it. That’s not the case nowadays. 

Agree. Loved Crosby's class and his book on the Spanish Flu. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sorry, been on the internet too long - when somebody sets up an account, then doesn’t post for a few years, and then posts on a single topic with an odd position, my spidey sense tingles.   Saw this on Shaggy with supporters of various ex-coaches, have seen it numerous times on many other sites   

But going back to my previous comment where I mentioned a couple of people had a similar attitude, and maybe ak doesn’t hold all those views,  it’s just odd as fuck that there was a group not wanting to test here in the US, not wanting to screen international travelers, and not wanting to try and contain or at least slow this thing down, and trying to claim that this was no big deal   

And not referencing ak, but it just makes absolutely no sense why somebody with at least a little education and sense wouldn’t want to look at the scenarios, prepare and try and slow this down.  Taking on a fatalistic attitude and that we shouldn’t bother trying to slow it down  is either trolling just to troll, or dumb as fuck.   

It’s like there’s a wildfire down the road, and rather than doing a few simple things like cutting firebreaks and clearing underbrush near your house, you’re like “fuck it, if my house burns, it burns, don’t give a fuck!”

Sticking your fingers in your ears and praying everything will be okay makes no sense    That’s how we end up with the football and basketball coaching that we have.  

Sorry, dude, but you are probably the biggest fucking nut on this thread. You’re constant, repetitive, hyperbolic, and yet also monotone and boring. So I negged this post. Get a fucking grip.

Even if you are absolutely correct in your hysteria, you weaken your position with bullshit like trying to crowdsource dissenters. It’s bad board behavior. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

Well, sure football managers opinions don't count. But I work in the same building* as the Board of Nursing. So I'm pretty close to the heath profession. Adjacent to allied health. And really, isn't an ally of an ally just an ally?

* technically different towers, but we share a lobby

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Testing at least one potential case in Austin now. Suggesting it’s just broader criteria capturing more potential cases for testing. 

City having 10am presser about safety precautions for older folks   

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus-precautions-for-older-more-vulnerable-people-being-taken-in-central-texas/

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/national-international/2nd-presumed-case-coronavirus-new-hampshire/2085211/?amp

“New Hampshire has identified a second, presumptive case of coronavirus in a man who was in close contact with the first patient, who attended an event across the state border in Vermont

New Hampshire's first coronavirus patient, a hospital employee, went to an event tied to Dartmouth business school on Friday despite being told to stay isolated, officials say, and all others who went to the event are now being told to stay isolated.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/national-international/2nd-presumed-case-coronavirus-new-hampshire/2085211/?amp

“New Hampshire has identified a second, presumptive case of coronavirus in a man who was in close contact with the first patient, who attended an event across the state border in Vermont

New Hampshire's first coronavirus patient, a hospital employee, went to an event tied to Dartmouth business school on Friday despite being told to stay isolated, officials say, and all others who went to the event are now being told to stay isolated.

Fuck that asshole

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, dude, but you are probably the biggest fucking nut on this thread. You’re constant, repetitive, hyperbolic, and yet also monotone and boring. So I negged this post. Get a fucking grip.

Even if you are absolutely correct in your hysteria, you weaken your position with bullshit like trying to crowdsource dissenters. It’s bad board behavior. 

Please, feel free to not post on a thread that triggers you so much. People looking for info won’t mind. Or at least be funny in your trolling

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I didn’t dig up his posting history - other people did that.  I also don’t see you whining about the people who did go through his account and posting history and posting it here  If you don’t find it odd, that’s fine.   

In regard to my comments about a group of people who are against testing, screening, and basically anything that can slow this down and help our healthcare system cope, again, weird.  We run our healthcare system way too close to capacity for something like this.    You’re free to go look at the numbers of hospital beds in the US and ponder the implications of our government not doing a very good job of preparing for this.  

8 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Fuck that asshole

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Yep. He’s a hospital worker.  I don’t care if he’s a janitor or a top surgeon, he should lose his job.   He’s not some 18 year-old just out of school with his head full of ideas about how The Man is just Trying to hassle him.  Hospital workers, of all people, should be following isolation requests.   

• Like 1

Has anyone looked at the map of infections on BNO?

I've watched it expand from China, to now the whole world.

It has me thinking, I don't think anyone alive has experienced what's taking place right now.  Sure, there have been disasters all over the world, but they have always been somewhat localized.

A hurricane here, an earthquake there, a disease outbreak somewhere, and so and so forth.

This however is the entire globe.  And it's in slow motion.

3 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Has anyone looked at the map of infections on BNO?

I've watched it expand from China, to now the whole world.

It has me thinking, I don't think anyone alive has experienced what's taking place right now.  Sure, there have been disasters all over the world, but they have always been somewhat localized.

A hurricane here, an earthquake there, a disease outbreak somewhere, and so and so forth.

This however is the entire globe.  And it's in slow motion.

AB was around for the plague and Spanish flu 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Goredho said:

After the Austin possible case announcement I’ve kept hitting F5 to see who dies, then I realized we would only notice if a prolific poster died mid post and hit submit with their final spasm.

”Three fidd...... Aggggghhhh”

• Like 2

well...

Amazon confirms Seattle employee is in quarantine with coronavirus

An Amazon employee in Seattle has tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus, as first reported by The New York Times. “We’re supporting the affected employee who is in quarantine,” the company tells The Verge in a statement.

The employee is based out of the company’s “Brazil” (SEA53) building, according to an internal memo sent out to Amazon employees and obtained by The Verge. They went home feeling unwell on Tuesday, February 25th and haven’t returned to Amazon premises since. Amazon has notified employees who have been in close contact with the person.

CDC estimated the death rate at 3.4% but said its not as contagious as the seasonal flu. Both of those were a little surprising to me. It'd be great if the spread is limit to local outbreaks but the Wuhan example and lengths the Chinese had to go to contain it plus the rapid spread in Iran make it seems like it's more viral. 

I didn’t dig up his posting history - other people did that.  I also don’t see you whining about the people who did go through his account and posting history and posting it here  If you don’t find it odd, that’s fine.   
In regard to my comments about a group of people who are against testing, screening, and basically anything that can slow this down and help our healthcare system cope, again, weird.  We run our healthcare system way too close to capacity for something like this.    You’re free to go look at the numbers of hospital beds in the US and ponder the implications of our government not doing a very good job of preparing for this.  

I’m not reading through this entire thread to find such a post, but has anyone suggested that we don’t test, screen, or do anything we can to slow the spread of this virus? You could absolutely be correct, but I really can’t recall anyone taking this stance. There have been several posters sarcastically call out hyperbole or questioning whether this will really turn out to be some global catastrophe that some posters are predicting, but I dint think anyone has suggested we do absolutely nothing to try to slow and prevent this virus from spreading. Calls to remain calm and avoid hyperbole are hardly calls to do nothing.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

CDC estimated the death rate at 3.4% but said its not as contagious as the seasonal flu. Both of those were a little surprising to me. It'd be great if the spread is limit to local outbreaks but the Wuhan example and lengths the Chinese had to go to contain it plus the rapid spread in Iran make it seems like it's more viral. 

The actual death rate at this very moment is 3.4%

Dr. Margaret Harris, a W.H.O. spokeswoman, said the figure was a “crudely calculated” snapshot of the disease’s death rate globally, and is expected to “change over time, and vary from place to place.” 

It also does not include mild cases that do not require medical attention and is skewed by Wuhan, where the death rate is several times higher than elsewhere in China.

Edited by HenryJames

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The actual death rate at this very moment is 3.4%

Not sure if serious. It’s estimated because they don’t know the true number of infected. Thus, there is no way of knowing the actual death rate since it’s only based off numbers of people which have been tested.

My India team's office was just shut down. Had one reported case from a different floor --- a visiting Italian. Now they are shutting down the entire building and we are scrambling to get everyone setup to work remotely. Furk.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away