Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think there is a good method to contain the virus. Maybe widespread testing and attempt to corral anyone, that has contacted a virus carrier, might work. And I'm not saying to do nothing but I think every process has a lot of holes.

I am intrigued that China is reporting relatively few new cases as a percentage of previous cases. Either they're lying, or massive city-wide quarantines are the best option. And once again, I don't see how that would work in the US.

China is hitting the ground like a colony of army ants.  We're hitting the ground like a passed out drunk.

Total global confirmed cases as of 15 min ago was 97,840 dating back to 1/20/20.  Since 3/1 alone, it's increased by 11,800 including 2.7k new confirmed so far today.

25 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How often are we to test the asymptomatic?  Which asymptomatic are we to test?  These tests aren’t free  

if someone shows up to a clinic with symptoms and they get tested, a positive id does little to stop the spread as they’ve likely been contagious for days already, and may or may not self quarantine. 

Every bit helps throttle the spread I guess. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/south-korea-tests-hundreds-thousands-210000450.html

South Korea is now testing 10k a day and has managed to keep it largely out of Seoul, which is nothing short of amazing.  They are doing it by catching the infected before they can spread it, instead of trying to backtrace how and where you spread for the 5+ days before you were symptomatic.  The latter method leads to greater spread and risk of the olds dying.  Cost really shouldn't be a driving factor in trying to stop a pandemic.   

• Like 3

I don't think there is a good method to contain the virus. Maybe widespread testing and attempt to corral anyone, that has contacted a virus carrier, might work. And I'm not saying to do nothing but I think every process has a lot of holes.

I am intrigued that China is reporting relatively few new cases as a percentage of previous cases. Either they're lying, or massive city-wide quarantines are the best option. And once again, I don't see how that would work in the US.

A free nation has no chance to "contain it." But quarantining, voluntarily quarantining, shutting down big gatherings, etc, will slow its spread and help our medical infrastructure hopefully handle the girth. Give us more time to handle the 20% who will (might) need extended hospitalization. A "pig through a python," if you will.

Most idiots out there think washing their hands will keep them from getting it. They're wrong, but that's OK. Benefits us for a different reason.

Also. I've been told cases of regular flu have dropped off a lot because of the handwashing and quarantining. Is that the case? I'm not sure the significance of that, but it's intriguing just the same.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Abusive Behaviour: Mixed Metaphors

I acknowledge this warning

You must acknowledge this warning before posting again

Chinese Coronavirus

image.png.007e2f46ab99d012dfe4b736e987b68a.png

Warning issued by immamac

55 minutes ago

Penalty

• Given 1 points which will never expire.
  • Restricted from posting - 4 days and 11 hours

Note for member

People are more dexterous with toothpaste than cats

Points? Like license points? Where was that info? 

45 minutes ago, Hate said:

How many of the people that have no symptoms at all should stay home? How many of the people that live in areas like Austin and Houston where they deal with seasonal allergies that peak in February-March-April should assume they have the corona virus instead of being effected by the pollen onslaught they experience every year at this time? Fuck our government!

That’s fair and good points all around. 

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

NY coming on strong, no surprise    NYC has got to be crawling with it   

It was Only a matter of time I guess. I work a block down from the westchester law firm dude so that isn’t great. Next 12-14 days should be interesting no matter what happens. 

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Italian physician hosting the international conference in Italy I’m supposed to speak at in May has sent out two emails stating everything is under control, the cases are isolated to two towns and everyone has been “cured.” The show must go on! I could only picture this guy reading with an Italian accent. Prego!

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Cost really shouldn't be a driving factor in trying to stop a pandemic.   

exactly.  Even setting aside morality, the costs in lost productivity and disrupted revenues with a less than timely and responsive strategy dwarf the costs of testing and containment.  The short term gains of denial and perception management to staunch panic and buy time in this case runs a high risk of being a fools errand in every respect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, achooloco said:

It was Only a matter of time I guess. I work a block down from the westchester law firm dude so that isn’t great. Next 12-14 days should be interesting no matter what happens. 

So is it now a race between you and Raydog for who gets the first Surly wreath?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

South Korea is now testing 10k a day and has managed to keep it largely out of Seoul, which is nothing short of amazing.  They are doing it by catching the infected before they can spread it, instead of trying to backtrace how and where you spread for the 5+ days before you were symptomatic.  The latter method leads to greater spread and risk of the olds dying.  Cost really shouldn't be a driving factor in trying to stop a pandemic.   

the biggest issue with replicating the SK process here is the size difference - USA is 99x bigger than South Korea, hell even Texas is 7x larger than South Korea. 

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

So we could just do a $1.5tn special package and order 3 tests for every person in the US.  Sounds good.  

Just now, NoName said:

the biggest issue with replicating the SK process here is the size difference - USA is 99x bigger than South Korea, hell even Texas is 7x larger than South Korea. 

Agreed, its logistically impossible to replicate on a national scale.  But we should be buying down risk, greater population = greater risk from spread and oversaturating the health care system.  Bigger cities should have been doing the SK process, including anyone coming and going to those population centers  Bumfuck, Texas, keep washing those hands and test when someone is symptomatic.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So we could just do a $1.5tn special package and order 3 tests for every person in the US.  Sounds good.  

If someone said ISIS/NORK/Iran was going to send in hit squads that were going to kill thousands of people in random urban centers, the president would be signing a billion dollar war appropration bill before the ink was dry from the drafters in congress.  Not sure why we would have a different response to a bug.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

West Bank?  There’s screwed.   That’s a lot of people in a small area with inadequate healthcare.  

Not the Gaza strip.  West Bank is fairly spread out and not dense in population.  But your point is still valid - they're screwed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I was shit on by Geddy for taking this position.  This motherfucking this.   Backtracking instantly exponentializes to 128,000 possible contacts if *anyone* in the backtrace has been in a large public space.

Test the first responders.

Then the symptomatic.

Then anyone that wants to enter a hospital or airport.

This is not hard.

It's just we don't do free.

Or smart.

22 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

tenor.gif?itemid=15382205

6 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

If someone said ISIS/NORK/Iran was going to send in hit squads that were going to kill thousands of people in random urban centers, the president would be signing a billion dollar war appropration bill before the ink was dry from the drafters in congress.  Not sure why we would have a different response to a bug.  

NATIONAL SECURITY

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

It would be interesting to see how many people in this thread interested in putting a significant amount of time/money into a Coronavirus Vaccination, have their Influenza Vaccination. Not that I'm opposed to putting resources into a Coronavirus Vaccination.

You don’t think people would be interested in receiving the vaccine? I don’t follow. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

But, what if they want to talk about Tom Herman?

You think people wanting to discuss the HC at Texas are as boring as political people? To each their own. 

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

where is raydog?  when was he last heard from?

C7SjOaPXwAAtLN5.jpg

Edit: PSA, don't google image search for "pregnant filipino midget" on your work computer.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

There is get fucked later or get fucked now and later but rarely is there ever get fucked now but not later.  

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, a stitch in time saves nine... etc etc

Just now, hopkinsnhorns said:

Actual cost of a test is likely around $200, and I'm sure the per unit cost drops when we're talking about MASS production.

And if we had a time machine we could have gotten in front of this and not needed so many tests.

I love how travel from China is restricted, but flights from Milan are landing multiple times a day at our largest cities...  wonder why?

1 minute ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Actual cost of a test is likely around $200, and I'm sure the per unit cost drops when we're talking about MASS production.

No doubt it is, I was going by hospital billing standards, which is clearly a shitshow. 

1 minute ago, Loco said:

And if we had a time machine we could have gotten in front of this and not needed so many tests.

I love how travel from China is restricted, but flights from Milan are landing multiple times a day at our largest cities...  wonder why?

Kill Whitey!!!

3 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Shhh! Tests must be billed at $3k each, at least. Profits for corporate America, that’s all that counts.

Just now, Trey3216 said:

I ran that at $1500/ as opposed to the $3000/ they’ve been talking about 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/05/fact-check-coronavirus-test-does-not-cost-3000-medical-bills/4949078002/

Cost to the patient =/= cost to make the tests regardless.  

An interesting read found while searching for the production cost of the test. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-costs-whos-paying-for-all-this-11583317801

For fucks sake people

”Tito's Vodka does not want people using its liquor to make hand sanitizer 

The social media team behind Tito's Vodka has been hard at work telling people that its liquor should not be used to make hand sanitizer.

The Austin, Texas, based distillery has fact-checked Twitter users after numerous articles and YouTube videos have surfaced explaining how people can whip up their own hand sanitizer following a strain on supply across the US over coronavirus fears.

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol. Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC. Please see attached for more information," Tito's Vodka has tweeted.”

8 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I don’t even know what our industrial capacity is for this sort of thing. Once we have a vaccine, how quickly could we manufacture 100 million doses, say?  That would have to involve contract facilities all rowing the same direction, I’d imagine. What about vial and label stock?  Should we be ramping that up now or do we have sufficient inventory?  Would it be all corona all the time and manufacture of other vaccines is halted and inventory on those dwindles?  Like mmr and chickenpox?

could be some interesting ripple effects if we need to mass produce a vaccine. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For fucks sake people

”Tito's Vodka does not want people using its liquor to make hand sanitizer 

The social media team behind Tito's Vodka has been hard at work telling people that its liquor should not be used to make hand sanitizer.

The Austin, Texas, based distillery has fact-checked Twitter users after numerous articles and YouTube videos have surfaced explaining how people can whip up their own hand sanitizer following a strain on supply across the US over coronavirus fears.

"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol. Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC. Please see attached for more information," Tito's Vodka has tweeted.”

Sooo...how do you fortify vodka?  Might be good info to have anyway, you know?

Or does that mean you just use everclear?  <Chappelle modern problems meme>

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away