Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I don’t know who I trust more Italian finance professionals or Italian science professionals.  Either way they both take a distant backseat to Italian military professionals.  

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Speaking of which, how realistic is it to create a vaccine for a coronavirus?  Has one been created for any form of coronavirus?  SARS, MERS, etc?  

I mean it's realistic and do-able over time, but the general issue I think is why focus that much effort, dollars and man hours onto something that is highly unlikely to be the "same" the next year/cycle or that could mutate into something else drastically different and render your vaccine useless?

Little help here @ChiTownDoc?

Here is an article from a quick Google

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.

Instead, the SARS vaccine that Hotez's team created in collaboration with scientists at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston is sitting in a freezer, no closer to commercial production than it was four years ago.

"We could have had this ready to go and been testing the vaccine's efficacy at the start of this new outbreak in China," said Hotez, who believes the vaccine could provide cross-protection against the new coronavirus, which causes a respiratory disease known as COVID-19. "There is a problem with the ecosystem in vaccine development, and we've got to fix this."

and

"We've had some conversations with big pharma companies in recent weeks about our vaccine, and literally one said, 'Well, we're holding back to see if this thing comes back year after year,'" Hotez said.

This line kills me, someone with $billions should step up to pay this today

For weeks, Hotez has been reaching out to pharmaceutical companies and federal scientific agencies — and even the Medical Research Council in the United Kingdom — asking them to provide the roughly $3 million needed to begin testing the vaccine's safety in humans, but so far none have done so.

(Bloomberg spent $452 million on his presidential campaign, Steyer spent $24m in South Carolina on ads alone)

Edited by NoName
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, NoName said:

I mean it's realistic and do-able over time, but the general issue I think is why focus that much effort, dollars and man hours onto something that is highly unlikely to be the "same" the next year/cycle or that could mutate into something else drastically different and render your vaccine useless?

Scientists were close to a coronavirus vaccine years ago. Then the money dried up.

and

Yea, I read that.  This is what concerned me.  

Early efforts to develop a SARS vaccine in animal trials were plagued by a phenomenon known as "vaccine-induced enhancement," in which recipients exhibit worse symptoms after being injected — something Fauci said researchers must be mindful of as they work to quickly develop a vaccine to protect against COVID-19.

Thats why I was asking if any coronavirus had gotten over the hump.  With how disruptive the cold is, it seems like a no-brainer to come up with a vaccine even if its subject to strain effectiveness like the flu vaccine. 

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

With how disruptive the cold is, it seems like a no-brainer to come up with a vaccine even if its subject to strain effectiveness like the flu vaccine. 

well with the quadrivalent flu they are guessing somewhat on the types of Flu A and Flu B strains that will pop up...this isn't a situation where they can guess due to how many common cold "types" that are out there? while there are comparisons to MERS/SARS/etc it's not the same

Edited by NoName

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

and

This seems like more of a commercial viability issue as opposed to an efficacy issue. Which is when the government entities step in and develop/produce it. 

if the vaccine attacks the active area where it attacks the lungs, mutation shouldn’t be a concern. 

15 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Italy announced their own financial plan. 

Taking that into account the exchange rate (currently worth 1.12 versus the dollar per google), Italy is actually spending more money for a country with the population of 60 million people versus the United States at 330 million people. 

4th and 5 was actually a lot closer with his double doubles. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Glad to see our board genius not get suckered by that heretic Galileo.

Wow, 1 for the last 400 years.  Quite an Italian batting average.  

Liquor scan shows I have about 30 gal of 190 proof everclear within 2 mi of my house as of today.  so doing a little roundup later. 

70% ethanol solution in water is antiviral - saw that it kills HIV and the HepA viruses by dissolving their lipid envelopes and that surface glycoproteins on bugs like corona are also disrupted and neutralized from infecting cells.

Markedly larger amount for a nation that the u.s. is 5.5x the size of.  Jokes aside, kudos to them.  Particularly since they share borders with five nations in addition to an incredible amount of maritime traffic. They are trying to put down a firewall in southern Europe and I wish that our country would take a cue

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don’t know who I trust more Italian finance professionals or Italian science professionals.  Either way they both take a distant backseat to Italian military professionals.  

You know their vaccine is going to look great and probably taste great too.  Will it work? shrugs in Italian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s right. Thousands will get a mild case and continue their daily lives because people are selfish. He’s framing it to downplay the overall severity of the problem, but he happens to be right.  I’ve been at work with people could barely stand and certainly couldn’t focus on a task, that had to be ordered home by a supervisor.  Why would this virus be any different?  

that’s a big reason this virus won’t be contained. People think of their paycheck or their deadline and ignore their symptoms. Until we start welding people in, we are a giant incubator. Recommendations for self quarantine will not be followed. 

A massive part of that is because of American "work yourself to death" culture. You are looked at as a lazy bum and not a team player if you call in sick. In this country if you want to keep your job or at least keep a high standing for possible promotion you can't ever call in sick. You have to show up so they can see how sick you are and they send you home. 

I'm a little disappointed in American ingenuity. Tanning salons should be making a killing off of social media campaigns to spread the UV-as-antimicrobial angle. Hell, there might even be some truth to it for all I know. But it is for damned sure a mighty fine marketing opportunity.

10 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Liquor scan shows I have about 30 gal of 190 proof everclear within 2 mi of my house as of today.  so doing a little roundup later. 

70% ethanol solution in water is antiviral - saw that it kills HIV and the HepA viruses by dissolving their lipid envelopes and that surface glycoproteins on bugs like corona are also disrupted and neutralized from infecting cells.

If I remember correctly from my trash can punch making days, there’s an Everclear knock-off that’s significantly cheaper, but the name escapes me right now.

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

A massive part of that is because of American "work yourself to death" culture. You are looked at as a lazy bum and not a team player if you call in sick. In this country if you want to keep your job or at least keep a high standing for possible promotion you can't ever call in sick. You have to show up so they can see how sick you are and they send you home. 

Image result for laughing guy gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If I remember correctly from my trash can punch making days, there’s an Everclear knock-off that’s significantly cheaper, but the name escapes me right now.

You must have been doing it properly if you don’t remember shit from those punchmaking days...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

and

This line kills me, someone with $billions should step up to pay this today

(Bloomberg spent $452 million on his presidential campaign, Steyer spent $24m in South Carolina on ads alone)

Im far from an expert but yes, you’ve got it summed up well.  It’s like putting a lot of money into play looking for a needle in a haystack.  Doesn’t make much sense with the way viruses work...and here we are.  

Edit:  with the caveat that the needle may have disappeared and you don’t know it.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Taking that into account the exchange rate (currently worth 1.12 versus the dollar per google), Italy is actually spending more money for a country with the population of 60 million people versus the United States at 330 million people. 

4th and 5 was actually a lot closer with his double doubles. 

America is more efficient!

I think we’ve all had a long day of partying, about to get frisky with our S.O., and then suffered from a bout of coronadick. 

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Also. I've been told cases of regular flu have dropped off a lot because of the handwashing and quarantining. Is that the case? I'm not sure the significance of that, but it's intriguing just the same.

I've been wondering if we will see a precipitous drop in flu cases from almost everyone washing up properly. 

30 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I've been wondering if we will see a precipitous drop in flu cases from almost everyone washing up properly. 

Yeah, no, most people aren't washing up properly. Most people are doing their 3 second token rinse under cold water, then relentlessly touching their eyes, nose, and mouth, and refusing to modify their lifestyle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sit in a cafe and sorry, most people are not paying attention. Just saw a hot young CoEd sneeze, wipe her nose with her hand, and then go and hug a friend. Yay stupid people! 

While not ideal, I think we can make an exception to isolation protocols depending on the friend.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away