Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And now Italy is doing similar. 

so, which American cities will be locked down under martial law to save the rest of us?  Seattle and?

I'd pick Seattle, Norman, College Station and all of California.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You could significantly close down a us city but Airtight is impossible. Take Houston. Close down the major freeways and highways entering it.  Stick a few sheriff deputies on major roads.   Sure there are smaller roads that would allow vehicles but if they get crowded, send over a deputy to shut it down. 

bigger question is around supplies in and out. How do people earning a living in that environment. Is the govt going to cover mortgage, rent and car payments? Sounds like FEMA to rescue,  gulp.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Imo, I think it'll be less than 15% with severe symptoms. But, if even 1% of the population has severe symptoms that's 3.6 million hospital beds taken up around the country, which will break the back of our hospital system because many of those beds are already taken with typical illnesses and conditions. 

But hey, at least health insurance companies will continue to post record profits

If this is handled poorly and things go to shit, many people will be out of work, and some companies may even go under or have to pay off shitloads.   We are not China where the government has a lot of control.   Look at SXSW and all of the smaller businesses that are freaking out over the financial impact.  Scale that up.  

Health insurance companies won’t keep those profits up.   Now collections agencies might.....

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You could significantly close down a us city but Airtight is impossible. Take Houston. Close down the major freeways and highways entering it.  Stick a few sheriff deputies on major roads.   Sure there are smaller roads that would allow vehicles but if they get crowded, send over a deputy to shut it down. 

bigger question is around supplies in and out. How do people earning a living in that environment. Is the govt going to cover mortgage, rent and car payments? Sounds like FEMA to rescue,  gulp.

I know first hand what happens when everyone tries to leave Houston at once, with all the highways open. Got to splendora in 14 hours. If you close the interstates and state highways, you’d choke out egress pretty well. 

6 hours ago, heso said:

I've been wondering about this as you see this scene in many countries. Who would perform this function in the US? Is it national guard, local authorities,  homeless work initiative, do we have sleeper squads of retired Orkin men relentlessly training for just this moment? My vote would be make TSA agents pick up the task.

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

I've been wondering about this as you see this scene in many countries. Who would perform this function in the US? Is it national guard, local authorities,  homeless work initiative, do we have sleeper squads of retired Orkin men relentlessly training for just this moment? My vote would be make TSA agents pick up the task.

Appropriate the old mosquito foggers

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Blockading bridges over the rivers is the only way to do it

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yep, armchair QBs in this thread with a fraction of information available to them recognized the threat a good 6 weeks before our federal government started implementing a response to it.  I hope we see better handling from here forward.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t see how we can use China as the model to say what has or hasn’t worked. There are questions about what is really happening there and their govt isn’t known for being honest.

So about that.   

Surgeon General of the United States of America won’t answer how many have been tested.   Won’t even give rough estimate.   Tells Tapper to ask the CDC, Tapper says CDC removed the numbers from their website,   Tells him to talk to the FDA.  Tapper points out the FDA number was not how many were tested, but how many tests were handed out.  

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/08/surgeon-general-jerome-adams-coronavirus-test-kits-us-jake-tapper-sotu-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

• Surgeon General says what’s important is that there are 75,000 tests available today
  • By tomorrow there will be 2 million tests available 
  • by the end of the week, there will be 4 million tests available 
  • No public health doctor who has asked for a test, has been unable to get one

It’s like aggy football.

• Reporter:  “You’re down 20 points in the first half, what are your plans for the second half?”
  •  Aggy: “Well, the important thing is that we scored 20 points, but even more important is that next week, we are going to score 65 points against Southwestern Louisiana Women’s Vocational College.”
  • Reporter: “But what are you going to be doing in 20 minutes in the second half?”
  • Aggy: “I done told you what we’re gonna do next week!”

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So about that.   

Surgeon General of the United States of America won’t answer how many have been tested.   Won’t even give rough estimate.   Tells Tapper to ask the CDC, Tapper says CDC removed the numbers from their website,   Tells him to talk to the FDA.  Tapper points out the FDA number was not how many were tested, but how many tests were handed out.  

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/08/surgeon-general-jerome-adams-coronavirus-test-kits-us-jake-tapper-sotu-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

• Surgeon General says what’s important is that there are 75,000 tests available today
  • By tomorrow there will be 2 million tests available 
  • by the end of the week, there will be 4 million tests available 
  • No public health doctor who has asked for a test, has been unable to get one

It’s like aggy football.

• Reporter:  “You’re down 20 points in the first half, what are your plans for the second half?”
  •  Aggy: “Well, the important thing is that we scored 20 points, but even more important is that next week, we are going to score 65 points against Southwestern Louisiana Women’s Vocational College.”
  • Reporter: “But what are you going to be doing in 20 minutes in the second half?”
  • Aggy: “I done told you what we’re gonna do next week!”

At this point, no one wants the blame for incompetence. Best defense at this point is to not touch your face and wash your hands 1 time per hour... well at least while awake.  I posted some compounds earlier in the thread that are effective at blocking replication if you do get infected..^^^^^^  Look there.

There is also another which is extremely inexpensive that everyone can get today.  It's called Sinigrin.

The study is posted here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16115693

It's found in broccoli, brussel sprouts, mustard greens, and mustard seeds(black).  I just picked a pound of mustard seeds up for $10.  I plan on having the family take a teaspoon a day once this really gets going.  Viola no need for hoarding toilet paper.  If by some chance you do get locked down and run out, shit in your neighbors yard and use his/her hose as a bidet.  Then rub your ass in his grass like a dog.  He'll give you some, trust me.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

Grain alcohol (190 proof = 95% etoh) DIY hand sanitizer recipe

Good luck finding generic aloe gel right now as many people are on to this.  You can still use etoh + water in a mini spray bottle.  It's runny but just as effective and you can hit any surface or door handle with it.  >60% solution of etoh is potent antiviral.

70% etoh is probably best = 140 proof.  So get as pure etoh as possible (grain alcohol) and dilute with gel or water to make it last longer.

Edited by triplehorn

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Does anyone believe the official Iranian death number of 166?

Not after seeing the video of the body bags in the Iranian mortuary.   The Chinese body bag videos were slightly ambiguous, but the Iranians are supposed to have their dead  folks bathed and cleaned and in the ground within 24 hours or whatever due to religious reasons, and not sitting in bags all over the floors. 

42 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Dude, by no means am I sticking up for Greenspoint here, who is a moron of his own accord. But you're being an absolute clown in this thread. We have entire first world countries shutting down. Our very own city just cancelled its annual half-billion dollar event. Almost every major gathering of people in the country either has or is taking steps towards shutting down. And you're still here telling people that they're overreacting by having some level of concern or expecting leadership to take seriously something that has potential to kill MILLIONS of people. Something that is already the most disruptive societal event since 9/11 and your entire purpose in this thread is to tell everyone how stupid they are for caring.

Shut the fuck up, bitch. Stay in your lane and keep your unearned self importance contained in the football threads. I don't know or care what your agenda is, but nobody wants to hear your shit here. Most of us are here for information, not to watch you act like an irresponsible fool.

I’m not telling anyone how to think in that post. I am mocking the ongoing hysteria that we’re about to see hundreds of millions of people go down. When you’re the last guy alive on this thread in 3 months, you can come tell me how wrong I was. 

Beyond that, what you quoted, did nothing that you’re claiming. I asked a very simple question: what’s the denominator? That’s it. What’s the audience by which the poster was freely throwing out percentages. If you don’t think that matters when it comes to actually having a productive dialogue, well, I guess that’s where we part ways. The intellectual discussion starts to fork right around “deeeerrpppp, Thut the fuckz up, bitch!!”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not telling anyone how to think in that post. I am mocking the ongoing hysteria that we’re about to see hundreds of millions of people go down. When you’re the last guy alive on this thread in 3 months, you can come tell me how wrong I was. 

Beyond that, what you quoted, did nothing that you’re claiming. I asked a very simple question: what’s the denominator? That’s it. What’s the audience by which the poster was freely throwing out percentages. If you don’t think that matters when it comes to actually having a productive dialogue, well, I guess that’s where we part ways. The intellectual discussion starts to fork right around “deeeerrpppp, Thut the fuckz up, bitch!!”. 

Your entire presence in this thread is defined by telling people they are stupid for being concerned. You're adding nothing to a thread that has been very good and informative for those of us who just want information. Even those on this thread who are taking their preparedness further than you or I think is necessary are still adding value to the conversation. There is no reason for you to behave the way you are in this thread except to get yourself off on your own intellectual superiority. Grow up.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Your entire presence in this thread is defined by telling people they are stupid for being concerned. You're adding nothing to a thread that has been very good and informative for those of us who just want information. Even those on this thread who are taking their preparedness further than you or I think is necessary are still adding value to the conversation. There is no reason for you to behave the way you are in this thread except to get yourself off on your own intellectual superiority. Grow up.

That’s patently untrue. The best bet for you here is to put me on ignore, since I’ll keep doing what I do and it seems to be hurting your feelings. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s patently untrue. The best bet for you here is to put me on ignore, since I’ll keep doing what I do and it seems to be hurting your feelings. 

Being an annoying twat =/= hurting my feelings. You're even able to be self-important when assessing your own level of obnoxiousness. That's impressive.

But anyway, Imma bow out and let the people who have been doing good work on here continue to do so, hopefully with fewer interruptions by people who need attention.

Edited by BradInATX

Exactly.  To me, the ability to effectively respond to a global pandemic to protect our citizens would be part of “providing for the common defense” outlined in the constitution.  Global pandemics are a potentially existential threat to us.  Not viably defending us from such a threats is a violation of the most basic agreement between a people and their government — you exist to help protect us from dangers we could not face as individuals.

This. Absolutely this. Situations like this are one of the key reasons we HAVE a federal government. To praise its lack of functionality is to miss the point.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is pretty funny coming from a poster that appears to do nothing but post in Cloak Room.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

There is also another which is extremely inexpensive that everyone can get today.  It's called Sinigrin.

The study is posted here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16115693

It's found in broccoli, brussel sprouts, mustard greens, and mustard seeds(black).  

I'm hearing good things about forsythia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hornbeliever said:

New to apocalypses here so have newbie question.  Why the rush to go buy water?  Are people thinking shit will get so bad that tap water will be affected? 

The water makes no sense.  If I was that concerned about that particular aspect (I’m not) I would buy a bunch of empty bottles and fill them up from the tap right now while the water is safe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

New to apocalypses here so have newbie question.  Why the rush to go buy water?  Are people thinking shit will get so bad that tap water will be affected? 

This question comes up every few pages.

General consensus is that people are accustomed to buying water for other freakouts, so it's force of habit.

Or, that water is so cheap they can't afford not to but it.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away