Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

It's obvious propaganda. Potemkin bullshit. 

Don't you take my absurd North Korea stories away from me.  Don't you tell me KJU didn't shoot 38 under par, motherfucker.  DON'T YOU TAKE THAT FROM ME.

Also, you're almost certainly right.  Meaning that the DPRK probably also has a better handle on this than we do.  Awesome.  This is like getting beaten out on the literacy ratings by Mississippi.

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think they should make cruises free.  Whoever walks onto the ship gets a darwin participation trophy and the ship never comes back...

Don't worry the cruise industry has got this...

“While advisories are in place, we are open for business and look forward to welcoming guests who choose to take a cruise vacation with us,” the Carnival statement said.

Royal Caribbean’s statement stressed that the company is focused on “development of an aggressive, responsive plan” agreed to during a meeting Saturday with Vice President Mike Pence, including more stringent boarding procedures, adding onboard medical resources and temperature screenings at embarkation.

The company also pledged to develop industry-funded plans to care for guests on land “in the event of an incident to eliminate future incidents of onboard quarantine,” the statement said.

Land based quarantines by Princess!

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Hell we have a poster on this website that, as of Saturday at least, was still leaning towards going on a cruise this week.

Hell, I have a coworker I spoke to a few hours ago.  She's smart (holds a doctorate) and yet she and her entire family (kids, sons in law, grandkids, husband, etc--around 12 in all) are going on a cruise next week.

I'm now questioning how smart she is.

Was really curious about Trump’s chief-of-staff and the coughing video above.  Turns out that was a few days after he was getting over a nasty cold. And he missed Trump’s India trip because of that nasty cold.   So he’s probably not the infected person.   But it just goes to show you the shitty hygiene practiced by lots of people.  

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't you take my absurd North Korea stories away from me.  Don't you tell me KJU didn't shoot 38 under par, motherfucker.  DON'T YOU TAKE THAT FROM ME.

Also, you're almost certainly right.  Meaning that the DPRK probably also has a better handle on this than we do.  Awesome.  This is like getting beaten out on the literacy ratings by Mississippi.

It's almost like my permanently skeptical perspective of the media is even more useful during times like this. Seriously, it's like an in vino veritas thing. The stress placed upon our media is going to make their flaws even more obvious. Twittter will be even shittier. Even their most vigorous media defenders will have to notice how ridiculous they've become.

Please note i didn't save "liberal media". They're all in the same Acela corridor, corporate bullshit, cultural bubble. Fox just has hotter women, excluding Katy Tur of course.

Edited by Thetexashammer

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean, nobody's even mentioned Disney yet...

I have a buddy that works in IT in Orlando. The Data Center is back in the crafts area, but he has to drive through the park every day. I talked to him on Friday and he said attendance had been pretty average up to that point. 

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Seattle will go first, they had a head start.  Politics are about the same both places, so that shouldn’t be a differentiating factor.

Seattle residents are also much more likely to follow rules.  You jaywalk in that city and the locals look at you like you're Manson.  

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean, nobody's even mentioned Disney yet...

I have a friend here in Austin who is hell-bent on taking his kids to Disneyland and Harry Potter World - California next week during Spring Break.  I'm far from an alarmist but that just sounds completely unnecessary to me.  But, I can't talk any reason to him, so I told him it's been nice knowing him and that if he survives the trip, we'll be able to hang out again after he's been back in Austin for... I don't know... a month, without dying.

Edited by utee94

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hell, I have a coworker I spoke to a few hours ago.  She's smart (holds a doctorate) and yet she and her entire family (kids, sons in law, grandkids, husband, etc--around 12 in all) are going on a cruise next week.

I'm now questioning how smart she is.

• Like 3

Disney Tokyo has been shut down for a while now, but I'm told that it is a franchise (not owned by Disney Corp.).  My wife and I did Epcot right before they shut down the park for Hurricane Matthew in 2016.  We were in Orlando for wedding planning.  It was awesome.  We did more in 5 hours at that park than you could have possibly done in 12 hours during a normal day with normal wait times.  That said, the Disney owned parks almost never close.  If it comes to that, you know we've hit the "God Help Us All" phase of the pandemic.

https://allears.net/2019/06/02/the-7-days-disney-world-closed-down/

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

Screen shot from the Hopkins site a short bit ago.  Yellow Line: daily new cases outside of China.  It is showing a perfect logarithmic curve with a doubling time of just over 3 days.  Count any 4 days interval and look at the number at either extreme, it's more than double.  If you look at the live site graph in lower right, placing your curser in the line dots tells you the number of cases with corresponding day.  It's at 32.8K cases now, will be at 65k+ by this Thursday, 130K by next Sunday.  China alone is the Orange line.  Their shutdown quarantine started Jan. 24th when the graph indicates they had 2k cases.  Look how far it climbed (how many doubles) before it slowed.  The rest of the world better follow suit asap.  Math don't lie.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 3.18.45 PM

• Like 2

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’ and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds

• Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away
  • The scientists behind the research said their investigation also highlighted the importance of wearing face masks because of the length of time it can linger

The coronavirus that causes Covid-19 can linger in the air for at least 30 minutes and travel up to 4.5 metres – further than the “safe distance” advised by health authorities around the world, according to a study by a team of Chinese government epidemiologists.

The researchers also found that it can last for days on surfaces where respiratory droplets land, raising the risk of transmission if an unsuspecting person touches it and then rubs their face and hands.

The length of time it lasts on the surface depends on factors such as temperature and the type of surface, for example at around 37C (98F), it can survive for two to three days on glass, fabric, metal, plastic or paper.

These findings, from a group of official researchers from Hunan province investigating a cluster case, challenge the advice from health authorities around the world that people should remain apart at a “safe distance” of one to two metres (three to six and a half feet).

Several passengers became infected during the four-hour bus journey. Graphic: SCMP
Several passengers became infected during the four-hour bus journey. Graphic: SCMP

“It can be confirmed that in a closed environment with air-conditioning, the transmission distance of the new coronavirus will exceed the commonly recognised safe distance,” the researchers wrote in a paper published in peer-review journal Practical Preventive Medicine last Friday.

The paper also highlighted the risk that the virus could remain afloat even after the carrier had left the bus.

The scientists warned that the coronavirus could survive more than five days in human faeces or bodily fluids.

They said the study proves the importance of washing hands and wearing face masks in public places because the virus can linger in the air attached to fine droplet particles.

“Our advice is to wear a face mask all the way [through the bus ride],” they added.

Their work was based on a local outbreak case on January 22 during the peak Lunar New Year travel season. A passenger, known as “A”, boarded a fully booked long-distance coach and settled down on the second row from the back.

The passenger already felt sick at that point but it was before China had declared the coronavirus outbreak a national crisis, so “A” did not wear a mask, nor did most of the other passengers or the driver on the 48-seat bus.

China requires closed circuit television cameras to be installed on all long-distance buses, which provided valuable footage for researchers to reconstruct the spread of the virus on the bus, whose windows were all closed.

Hu Shixiong, the lead author of the study who works for the Hunan Provincial Centre for Diseases Control and Prevention, said the security camera footage showed patient “A” did not interact with others throughout the four-hour ride.

But by the time the bus stopped at the next city, the virus had already jumped from the carrier to seven other passengers.

These included not only people sitting relatively close to “patient zero”, but also a couple of victims six rows away from him – roughly 4.5 metres away.

They all later tested positive, including one passenger who displayed no symptoms of the disease.

After these passengers left, another group got on the bus about 30 minutes later. One passenger sitting in the front row on the other side of the aisle also became infected.

Hu said the patient, who was not wearing a mask, was likely to have inhaled aerosols, or tiny particles, breathed out by the infected passengers from the previous group.

Aerosols are light-weighted particles that are formed from tiny droplets of bodily fluids.

“The possible reason is that in a completely enclosed space, the airflow is mainly driven by the hot air generated by the air conditioning. The rise of the hot air can transport the virus-laden droplets to a greater distance,” said the paper.

After getting off the shuttle bus, the initial carrier got on a minibus and travelled for another hour. The virus jumped to two other passengers, one of whom was also sitting 4.5 metres away from patient “A”.

By the time the study was finished in mid February, patient “A” had infected at least 13 people.

It is generally believed that the airborne transmission of Covid-19 is limited because the tiny droplets produced by patients will quickly sink to the ground.

This belief has prompted the Chinese health authorities to suggest that people should stay a metre apart in public and the US Centres for Disease Control recommend a safe distance of six feet (about 1.8 metres).

The researchers also found that none of those passengers in the two buses who wore face masks were infected.

They said it vindicated the decision to ask people to wear a face mask in public.

“When riding on more closed public transportation such as subways, cars, planes, etc, you should wear a mask all the time, and at the same time, minimise the contact between your hands and public areas, and avoid touching your face before cleaning,” they said.

The researchers also suggested improving sanitation on public transport and adjusting the air conditioning to maximise the volume of fresh air supplied.

They also said interiors should cleaned and disinfected once or twice a day, especially after passengers arrive at the terminal.

A doctor in Beijing involved in the diagnosis and treatment of Covid-19 patients said the study had left some questions unanswered.

For instance, the passengers sitting immediately next to the carriers were not infected, though they were suffering the highest exposure to the disease-bearing aerosols.

“Our knowledge about this virus’s transmission is still limited,” he said.

• Like 2

Didn't Mulvaney already get admonished and publicly humiliated for coughing? Man, that guy took a beating and kept waiting for it to pay off. He just wanted one pat on the head and a 'who's a good boy.' Never happened. Now he's just standing there holding a bag of ice against his ass. 

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I have a friend here in Austin who is hell-bent on taking his kids to Disneyland and Harry Potter World - California next week during Spring Break.  I'm far from an alarmist but that just sounds completely unnecessary to me.  But, I can't talk any reason to him, so I told him it's been nice knowing him and that if he survives the trip, we'll be able to hang out again after he's been back in Austin for... I don't know... a month, without dying.

Well, there definitely won't be any Chinese tourists at Disneyworld.  

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Screen shot from the Hopkins site a short bit ago.  Yellow Line: daily new cases outside of China.  It is showing a perfect logarithmic curve with a doubling time of just over 3 days.  Count any 4 days interval and look at the number at either extreme, it's more than double.  If you look at the live site graph in lower right, placing your curser in the line dots tells you the number of cases with corresponding day.  It's at 32.8K cases now, will be at 65k+ by this Thursday, 130K by next Sunday.  China alone is the Orange line.  Their shutdown quarantine started Jan. 24th when the graph indicates they had 2k cases.  Look how far it climbed (how many doubles) before it slowed.  The rest of the world better follow suit asap.  Math don't lie.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 3.18.45 PM

Where'd you learn that, rookie? Liberal school? 

There are 24 cases in the Philippines now all in the MetroManila area. There is talk of quarantining the whole city of 24 million. I am north of there, but I had a college girl visit me last weekend who lives south of Manila. I hope she didn't give me anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RayDog said:

There are 24 cases in the Philippines now all in the MetroManila area. There is talk of quarantining the whole city of 24 million. I am north of there, but I had a college girl visit me last weekend who lives south of Manila. I hope she didn't give me anything.

Pics or GTFO.

• Like 3

Jesus, watching the CV19 task force press conference is concerning. Every time they mention an action being taken, it's UNPRECEDENTED and BIGGER THAN EVER, but they aren't giving any concrete numbers and when they do, they're EXTREMELY narrow in scope. Pence spend 5 minutes talking about the Diamond Princess cruise ship, happily reporting that no children are sick and they only have 25 confirmed cases. Nevermind that there's a fucking fleet of cruise ships that have yet to be screened and tested.

And still yet, the first thing out of trump's mouth was tax cuts as a solution to this. Not working on vaccines, test kits, or really anything to ACTUALLY ADDRESS THE PANDEMIC. They haven't even had themselves tested yet to know if they're carriers.

They don't give one single fuck about the virus itself and they only care about how it'll effect the economy. We're fucked.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

, for example at around 37C (98F), it can survive for two to three days on glass, fabric, metal, plastic or paper.

Um, that seems like warm weather will most definitely not stop this virus.

2 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Also, after reading that it seems to me there is really no way to stop the spread of this virus outside confining people to their homes.  That's a sobering thought.

Yep. If your job can’t be done remotely then you might be in a shitty spot soon. What’s the point of employing people that can’t do their job for weeks or months at a time?

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Yep. If your job can’t be done remotely then you might be in a shitty spot soon. What’s the point of employing people that can’t do their job for weeks or months at a time?

I'm proper fucked then.  Then again with the stock market and oil prices, the virus is just icing on the cake.  We're all fucked I guess.

Austin just banned gatherings larger than 2,500 though May 1 unless they have an approved health mitigation plan.

My 7th grader was told by a teacher that AISD has the tele teaching system ready and she thought they’d hear about training staff soon.

Once the schools close, many with non-desk jobs are fucked.

I have a friend who's going with her family (including 2 kids under 9 and her in laws) on a Disney cruise next week. They just bought tickets because there was a great deal. Couldn't care less about the coronavirus.

Actual bit of useful information from the briefing - coronavirus.gov for all your CV19 needs.
And now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion of the economy during the CV19 task force briefing. Sunshine pumping included, free of charge

Lol yea pretty much. Oh and go to Coronavirus.gov for answers

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away