Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I have a friend who's going with her family (including 2 kids under 9 and her in laws) on a Disney cruise next week. They just bought tickets because there was a great deal. Couldn't care less about the coronavirus.

That's one way to get rid of your in-laws.

You couldn't pay me to go on a cruise now.

Dell employee returning to India from Austin tests positive. 

The News Minute reports that the man had traveled to his workplace for two days before going to the hospital with coronavirus symptoms. He was then admitted to Rajiv Gandhi Institue of Chest Diseases in Bengaluru on March 8, where he was reportedly placed in isolation and his samples were sent to be tested at the National Institute of Virology. 

It is believed the patient developed symptoms about five or six days after leaving Austin.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-man-traveling-from-austin-to-india-tests-positive/269-77511074-d840-456e-b846-419adf96a861

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

so i assume this means concerts are cancelled...?

The City says that through May 1, events with 2,500 or more people are prohibited unless organizers are able to assure Austin Public Health that “mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place.”

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I have a friend who's going with her family (including 2 kids under 9 and her in laws) on a Disney cruise next week. They just bought tickets because there was a great deal. Couldn't care less about the coronavirus.

How the hell are they even having cruises still? 

There are 24 cases in the Philippines now all in the MetroManila area. There is talk of quarantining the whole city of 24 million. I am north of there, but I had a college girl visit me last weekend who lives south of Manila. I hope she didn't give me anything.

Is she hot?

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

During large category hurricanes there are groups of people that stand at the seashore while the wind is howling, it's raining buckets, and then the local news cameraman (who is usually filming from a sheltered spot a safe distance away) yells, "Holy shit!" as a big wave comes ashore and washes them off their feet. Your friend is not alone.

While the rest of us are washing our hands, buying blue sheds, and social distancing, she is standing in her kayak and paddling to meet Hurricane Corona.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I think you're missing the big picture here.  No more in laws.  #winning

45 minutes ago, RayDog said:

There are 24 cases in the Philippines now all in the MetroManila area. There is talk of quarantining the whole city of 24 million. I am north of there, but I had a college girl visit me last weekend who lives south of Manila. I hope she didn't give me anything.

Sorry RayDog, you have a new contender for first Surly case.   You will not be forgotten though - it shouldn’t be too expensive to hire a group of ladybois for an honor guard at your funeral.  

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

infant and 6 year old. Also, I go to about 50+ schools a week for work. And my wife works at a hospital....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think they should make cruises free.  Whoever walks onto the ship gets a darwin participation trophy and the ship never comes back...

I was thinking about this. They would be perfect quarantine places. Start off at the bottom decks and has you survive you get to the top! 

C

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sorry RayDog, you have a new contender for first Surly case.   You will not be forgotten though - it shouldn’t be too expensive to hire a group of ladybois for an honor guard at your funeral.  

That sounds fabulous!  Will we be sending a very colorful wreath? 

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I wasn't judging.  Well maybe a little.

That's ok. Sex always involves bartering at some level. I find it refreshing to be with women who acknowledge that fact and are open about it. It is a lot more honest than any normal American style relationship I had.

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No math major here, but I've heard some accounts where paying for the sex is actually much cheaper than paying for everything else trying to get to the sex.  Weird, right? 

Very true even with girlfriends here.

Ok serious question- right now I’m planning to take my family to San Juan, Puerto Rico for spring break. There are no excursions and no confined spaces other than a couple of fort visits and maybe kayaking in a bioluminescent bay. Otherwise It’s basically 4 days on the beach plus restaurants. That doesn’t seem high risk.
also- isn’t it a coin flip to to get this anyway? 

Talk me out of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Not in Murica!   We still have people voluntarily walking onto cruise ships.

A friend of mine’s wife left on a Carnival cruise ship in California today with 3 of her lady friends (ages 73 to 82).  Yes, they had a big heated discussion about whether to cancel or not, and the wife did talk with her doctor first. Plus one of the ladies is a retired nurse, so they went ahead and embarked on their cruise to oblivion.

I asked him if they had discussed the possibilities of burial at sea. Incidentally, my friend is in treatment for Stage IV prostate cancer.

Some people just amaze me with their Darwin  demeanor.

Ok serious question- right now I’m planning to take my family to San Juan, Puerto Rico for spring break. There are no excursions and no confined spaces other than a couple of fort visits and maybe kayaking in a bioluminescent bay. Otherwise It’s basically 4 days on the beach plus restaurants. That doesn’t seem high risk.
Talk me out of it.
So you're driving to Puerto Rico?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Talk me out of it.

I hear they have lots of paper towels there, so you won't have to worry about running out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Talk me out of it.

Unless that area starts to show a bunch of cases, go ahead.  Cruise ships are stupid because you're confined.  And if some dumbass you're stuck with ends up positive you just signed up for quarantine.  The odds of there being no/low cases when you go wheels up to head there and end up quarantined 5 days later is close to zero. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Jesus, watching the CV19 task force press conference is concerning. Every time they mention an action being taken, it's UNPRECEDENTED and BIGGER THAN EVER, but they aren't giving any concrete numbers and when they do, they're EXTREMELY narrow in scope. Pence spend 5 minutes talking about the Diamond Princess cruise ship, happily reporting that no children are sick and they only have 25 confirmed cases. Nevermind that there's a fucking fleet of cruise ships that have yet to be screened and tested.

And still yet, the first thing out of trump's mouth was tax cuts as a solution to this. Not working on vaccines, test kits, or really anything to ACTUALLY ADDRESS THE PANDEMIC. They haven't even had themselves tested yet to know if they're carriers.

They don't give one single fuck about the virus itself and they only care about how it'll effect the economy. We're fucked.

What are tax cuts going to do for a big chunk of America who probably don’t even have a thousand bucks in savings?  Who can’t afford to skip a paycheck?

Those people could help take the economy  down if forced to stay home, and they are liable to work through illnesses.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Talk me out of it.

Talk you out of what? Humble bragging? Too late
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Are you driving to Puerto Rico in a bitchin' Camaro?

Well then you will have to go through an airport, and customs at least twice. 

Is it all inclusive? Are you dining with hundreds or going all in on regional food dining with locals?

Seems perfectly safe to me. And even if you get sick, PR has first rate health care.

Meh - we had a conference for physicians in Vegas that just ended.  It has many ID physicians there.  From all over the damn country.  No need to panic and just quit on all travel.  But again - cruises are stupid...really norovirus etc are legendary for their exploits on cruises...in general, avoiding cruises isn't bad advice. 

Edit:  included 2 hours on coronavirus and smart decisions vs panic etc...

Edited by ChiTownDoc

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Talk me out of it.

Unless you live in a hot spot or something develops in PR, the bigger problem is probably the increased odds of travel disruptions. I don't think what you described is a whole lot higher risk than day to day activities like the grocery store, dining out, kids hanging out with friends, etc.

I'm not about to book a trip anywhere soon but I wouldn't cancel something I already had on the books yet. I'd definitely be keeping an eye out though.

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Unless you live in a hot spot or something develops in PR, the bigger problem is probably the increased odds of travel disruptions. I don't think what you described is a whole lot higher risk than day to day activities like the grocery store, dining out, kids hanging out with friends, etc.

I'm not about to book a trip anywhere soon but I wouldn't cancel something I already had on the books yet. I'd definitely be keeping an eye out though.

I feel like every plane and airport is currently a hot spot.  

The fucking white house addresses the nation for weaker shit than this why don't they address the fucking nation with some facts.  If the U.s. is overeacting than address the fucking nation by fucking saying so.  Obviously the tweets havent worked.  If the flu is worse than Corona than also fucking say so.  Simply interupt everyone's fucking prime time by getting on the tube and telling everyone to stay calm and not to fucking panic because here's why.  Then have a panel of Dr.'s bore us for 20-30 minutes.   

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away