Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is there anything like this out there regarding Kirkland? I did some googling, but didn't see anything about their system in that city being unable to function. Someone mentioned an NPR story about people with light risks or symptoms showing up too frequently to ERs, but I didn't see that one snippet as a source for the whole system being overwhelmed. Some of you guys are more on top of this stuff than the rest of us. 

Check back in a week.

Rogan had epidemiologist Michael Osterholm on today:

Main takeaways:

1.  Hand washing and sanitizer won't do much against Corona because the main transmission is simply breathing the air that an infected person is breathing.  Not their cough or sneezing.  Simply the same air.  n95s do work but there aren't any, even for health care workers.

2.  There is nothing you can really do to prepare yourself other than sleep and stay in good shape.  Americans are going to be particularly fucked because of the levels of obesity.  There are many people in their 40s who are getting extremely sick so its not just a problem for the very old.

3.  Next 4 months are going to be very difficult in the United States.  He anticipates 500,000 deaths in the U.S. during that time.

4.  Cancelling school is almost a non-starter because of the number of nurses who have kids in school.

25 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Americans tend to over respond once it gets to crisis levels.  If we have a huge uptick in cases, social distancing/self quarantine will happen until it warms up.  

DARPA thinks they'll have found the monoclonal antibodies that could serve as a temporary shield against the virus until a vaccine can be brought online.  I personally know epidemiologists that are working on rapid PCR tests and vaccines.  

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/03/us-military-scientists-hope-have-coronavirus-therapeutic-summer/163659/

These are all great developments, but I see no way that shit is released by end of summer as suggested in that article. You got me fucked up if you think I am letting anybody inject inadequately tested immunologically active biologicals into my body or the bodies of my children. I'll take my chances with coronavirus.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

aggy cancelling classes for the 2 days after Spring break.  I am sure that 2 day shutdown will solve shit.

Fucking morons....

Classes are suspended for Monday, March 16, and Tuesday, March 17. Faculty and staff are still required to report to work on those days, the official told KBTX.

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Main takeaways:

1.  Hand washing and sanitizer won't do much against Corona because the main transmission is simply breathing the air that an infected person is breathing.  Not their cough or sneezing.  Simply the same air.  n95s do work but there aren't any, even for health care workers.

2.  There is nothing you can really do to prepare yourself other than sleep and stay in good shape.  Americans are going to be particularly fucked because of the levels of obesity.  There are many people in their 40s who are getting extremely sick so its not just a problem for the very old.

3.  Next 4 months are going to be very difficult in the United States.  He anticipates 500,000 deaths in the U.S. during that time.

4.  Cancelling school is almost a non-starter because of the number of nurses who have kids in school.

Wasn't Rogan just calling this a bullshit blown-out-of-proportion hoax or somesuch just a couple of days ago?

So I go and get my haircut today. Lady tells me her mom goes to the same church of someone that tested positive.  The church called the Mom to ask if she made contact with her. 

Then I get to work and co-worker tells me someone in his daughters school college class was also confirmed. 

This shit is getting a little to close for my likening 

Hand washing and sanitizer won't do much against Corona because the main transmission is simply breathing the air that an infected person is breathing.  Not their cough or sneezing.  Simply the same air.  n95s do work but there aren't any, even for health care workers.

This is bullshit.

Currently the Corona is listed as airborne in some of the literature simply because there is a sense of unknown and litigation looms, but all Infectious Disease physicians, pulmonologists, etc are strongly combating this line of thinking as Coronavirus is known to be droplet. If it is droplet all you really need is a surgical mask and washing of the hands.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Loco said:

Very good read.

It definitely is not contained in S. Korea.  They've thrown everything they have at it, and only slowed it's spread.  People are dying while waiting for a hospital bed.

And this is the "success" story.

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That I mocked?  How fucking old are you?  

We're not all gonna die.  Just our dear leader and a few chosen followers blessed enough to get through the gates of Heaven.  

But seriously, you said I should "say thanks"........to whom do I direct that gratitude?  

Someone posted 70 as a magic number for spreading.  You mocked that with a entertaining quip about germs spreading inside.  Mo James then posted an article from the National Institute of Health confirming the 70 degree level that causes breakdowns in how the flu virus spreads. 

You should say thank you to Mo James, as I said previously, so in the future you won't come off as an asshole when talking about something you know nothing about.

And every single person on the planet will get this infection. Not sure I believe that. 

I interpreted that as him saying it’s going to be endemic. So, between now and the end of their life, pretty much everybody will get it at some point. Just like the flu or a cold, everybody doesn’t get it every year, but everybody eventually gets it.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Very good read.

It definitely is not contained in S. Korea.  They've thrown everything they have at it, and only slowed it's spread.  People are dying while waiting for a hospital bed.

And this is the "success" story.

And knowing how little this country has done I am more concerned than ever after reading that.  If that's what's happening in S. Korea, what the fuck will be happening here?  I suppose we'll be in Italy's spot in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

14 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Main takeaways:

I started listening to it but was interrupted with actual work and not sure when I'll have time to finish.  But what is the basis for this?  I feel like that's the opposite of everything we've been told to date.  

Wasn’t their some article a few days ago that said the accuracy of the test is in question? Did that accuracy issue get fixed?

It seems completely ridiculous our testing capacity is so abysmal. Unless the tests we had aren’t worth a damn and we threw them out? How accurate are Italy’s or SK’s? 

41 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Americans tend to over respond once it gets to crisis levels.  If we have a huge uptick in cases, social distancing/self quarantine will happen until it warms up.  

DARPA thinks they'll have found the monoclonal antibodies that could serve as a temporary shield against the virus until a vaccine can be brought online.  I personally know epidemiologists that are working on rapid PCR tests and vaccines.  

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/03/us-military-scientists-hope-have-coronavirus-therapeutic-summer/163659/

now THAT"S sending in the wolf to chill them niggers out.

if there is *anyone* that can breakthrough the bullshit capitalist and oligarchical impediments to this bitchass virus, it's the goddamn BOYZ WITH THE TOYS.

DARPA, Los Alamos, SAIC, Lockheed, Northrop, that group.  If you need shit done, call the guys with the wallet that says BAD MOTHER FUCKER.

23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No CR MF!!!!  #immamac  

I don't disagree, but the issue is that it was an overtly provocative statement. The idiot posted the tweet, which is fine. He then proceed to say "That's actively downplaying the pandemic and advocating literally doing nothing about it." Which is factually inaccurate and a product of the idiot's trump derangement syndrome. 

I support idiots revealing themselves, so it doesn't bother me. But not everyone has restraint, and this bullshit needs to be eliminated. The idiot needs to be banned for deliberately posting political bullshit. There's a thread for that, it's in the cloaca room.

• Fuck You 3

15 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Stockpiling not a bad idea at all, HEB manager said once one of their employees tests positive, they will not be open.  

I’m calling BS on that one. The closing part. Not that you were told the rumor.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I started listening to it but was interrupted with actual work and not sure when I'll have time to finish.  But what is the basis for this?  I feel like that's the opposite of everything we've been told to date.  

Possibly this is the basis. Not sure.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

11 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Rogan is the pothead from your freshman dorm who is always amazed and immediately persuaded by whatever off-the-wall shit he heard most recently.  

such a great characterization. 

does that doctor got any evidence for those claims? because that's basically the opposite of everything i've heard/read over the past month

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I’m calling BS on that one. The closing part. Not that you were told the rumor.

An HEB manager told me that first hand. They are not allowed to shake hands etc anymore with customers. If one employee is confirmed the entire store shuts down. 

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This. Now if he wants to say hand washing isn't sufficient, fine. But to say it isn't helpful, when we are talking about a virus that can apparently live on surfaces, is just false. I can pick the virus up on my hands, then touch my nose, mouth, or food, and get sick. To say don't worry about those things is just disingenuous and reckless.

2 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

An HEB manager told me that first hand. They are not allowed to shake hands etc anymore with customers. If one employee is confirmed the entire store shuts down. 

If true that's a game changer.

2 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

There would be frickin riots. Maybe they shut down for a deep clean. Literally there would be mass panic even if three other stores are open.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

That manager (and his bosses) are still living in a fantasy world where this is going to be contained.  Kind of like the 100 nurses that were quarantined after contact with the first patient in California.   We'll check in on this policy a few weeks from now.

27 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

So I go and get my haircut today. Lady tells me her mom goes to the same church of someone that tested positive.  The church called the Mom to ask if she made contact with her. 

Then I get to work and co-worker tells me someone in his daughters school college class was also confirmed. 

This shit is getting a little to close for my likening 

Where do you live?

20 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Rogan is the pothead from your freshman dorm who is always amazed and immediately persuaded by whatever off-the-wall shit he heard most recently.  

Rogan has provided a platform for the Qanon folks, and he was a moon landing truther.    He has some really solid guests on, but he has no filter, and will let just about anybody on, all the while playing up his “do you believe that’s true, that kind of seems out there, but you know, anything’s possible I suppose” schtick.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That manager (and his bosses) are still living in a fantasy world where this is going to be contained.  Kind of like the 100 nurses that were quarantined after contact with the first patient in California.   We'll check in on this policy a few weeks from now.

Exactly...treating people that get it like they have the plague isn’t the answer. We’ll all know someone that has had it before too long. 

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

VP czar daily presser:

suppression of the curve - stretch it out

big health + medicaid/medicare + orange man met today

all costs for testing waived nationwide

boats are boats

You left out that insurance companies will not engage in surprise billing for corona virus.

Of course they will continue surprise billing for other types of visits.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away