Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

now THAT"S sending in the wolf to chill them niggers out.

if there is *anyone* that can breakthrough the bullshit capitalist and oligarchical impediments to this bitchass virus, it's the goddamn BOYZ WITH THE TOYS.

DARPA, Los Alamos, SAIC, Lockheed, Northrop, that group.  If you need shit done, call the guys with the wallet that says BAD MOTHER FUCKER.

To continue your analogy, I for one wouldn't start sucking each other's dicks yet at the military industrial complex saving the day. 

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Not sure how you lump in the local healthcare with the system failing. Granted I'm limited to my sphere, but we are currently doing an exceptional job of communicating and planning. The main issue at this point is how many tests are currently available at the CDC. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

Dallas County has its first presumptive positive.

Dallas County health officials have confirmed its first “presumptive positive” case of the novel coronavirus Tuesday.

Officials say the patient is a 77-year-old man who traveled to Dallas from out of state and has an extensive travel history. The patient is being treated at a Dallas-area hospital.

“Cases of COVID-19 in the 9th largest county and the 4th most populous metropolitan area in the country were not unexpected," Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/dallas-county-announces-first-presumtive-positive-case-of-coronavirus/287-b49f608a-63db-4a98-8d92-88fc745edd8b

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That we know about.  Just wait until testing gets seriously going.   If I run a nursing home or other similar facility, I’m going to want all employees tested immediately.   

I consult for one and the staff is in total panic mode. I'm seriously trying to convince the DON to ban visitors but I fear it may be too late, especially considering how long the incubation period is.

21 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

An HEB manager told me that first hand. They are not allowed to shake hands etc anymore with customers. If one employee is confirmed the entire store shuts down. 

That place will be looted within 10 minutes of it shutting down.  This shit will not stand man.

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Officials say the patient is a 77-year-old man who traveled to Dallas from out of state and has an extensive travel history.

Yep, not a doctor, but I’m 100% certain he has the virus.   That’s a major symptom.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

That place will be looted within 10 minutes of it shutting down.  This shit will not stand man.

Think about the office buildings in a city with a large homeless community. Imagine if everyone is told to stay home. Every single building is going to be broken into and looted/fucked up/shat in. 

41 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Someone posted 70 as a magic number for spreading.  You mocked that with a entertaining quip about germs spreading inside.  Mo James then posted an article from the National Institute of Health confirming the 70 degree level that causes breakdowns in how the flu virus spreads. 

You should say thank you to Mo James, as I said previously, so in the future you won't come off as an asshole when talking about something you know nothing about.

Something I know nothing about?   Finally, trump and I have something in common.  When do I get my hat ?

7 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Oh I'm very aware of the new tests. My point was putting the blame on the healthcare workers in your area who are not only doing their previous job but now educating each other and preparing for this is inappropriate.

9 minutes ago, staboner said:

damn looking like a full quarantine is inevitable down here in down under. oh well. got any good book recs? 

yall be good. wash your hands and don't touch the red button 

A8-ABD390-688-A-407-D-AAC3-FB02-B052-A24

https://www.amazon.com/Spillover-Animal-Infections-Human-Pandemic/dp/0393346617/ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Edited by Goredho
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Is this 75,000 tests capable for EACH lab or 75,000 tests for all labs combined? 

You must be new to this country.   We have millions of tests.  Some people are saying we have bullies.  I mean billions. 

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t we have somebody who posts here, living in SD?

That’s sad. Poor person had it and no way of knowing it or treatment and then dies. Great job by our fantastic government of being on top of this. 

75k tests total.  Pitiful.  Maybe if we as a country keep our head in the sand long enough this will all just blow over. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Rogan had epidemiologist Michael Osterholm on today:

Main takeaways:

1.  Hand washing and sanitizer won't do much against Corona because the main transmission is simply breathing the air that an infected person is breathing.  Not their cough or sneezing.  Simply the same air.  n95s do work but there aren't any, even for health care workers.

2.  There is nothing you can really do to prepare yourself other than sleep and stay in good shape.  Americans are going to be particularly fucked because of the levels of obesity.  There are many people in their 40s who are getting extremely sick so its not just a problem for the very old.

3.  Next 4 months are going to be very difficult in the United States.  He anticipates 500,000 deaths in the U.S. during that time.

4.  Cancelling school is almost a non-starter because of the number of nurses who have kids in school.

500K dead in the US by July?  I'll take the under.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I’m just going to go ahead and get it. If I need a hospital bed, I’ll get one.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing earlier today.  If nearly everyone is going to get this, wouldn't it be better to get it earlier before thehealth care system is swamped?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit.   Thankfully, no kids under 9 have died that we know about.  

My fear is that kids are Covid superspreaders.  They don't really get sick, spread it all around at school then bring it straight home.

German bio-security advisor:

Edited by triplehorn

if italy is the only country that does this, TPTB/orange man won't have to do it here.

if all of europe does it, and "we" don't.......

reuters

Italy may grant holiday from mortgage payments to soften blow from coronavirus

Italians hard-hit by a nationwide lockdown to combat Europe’s worst outbreak of coronavirus could get a holiday from mortgage payments under a raft of measures to ease the economic blow from the epidemic, ministers said on Tuesday.

They also called for the European Union to relax its rules to allow more government spending as much of Italian public life ground to a halt with people in the nation of 60 million told to stay home except in urgent circumstances.

With the country already on the brink of recession, the government steps come at a huge cost for the euro zone’s third-largest economy and have alarmed financial markets.

The government’s draconian measures mean daily gross domestic product is now 10-15% below normal levels, estimated Lorenzo Codogno, who was chief economist at the Italian Treasury from 2006-2015 and now runs London-based LC Macro Advisors.

The gap between Italian and benchmark German 10-year bond yields jumped above 200 basis points on Monday for the first time since August 2019.

Industry Minister Stefano Patuanelli promised government help to firms and families worth around 10 billion euros ($11.35 billion), telling Radio Capital this would probably cause the budget deficit to rise to just under 3% of national output.

Economy Minister Roberto Gualtieri wrote to the European Commission last week to say Rome planned to raise the current 2020 official deficit target from 2.2% to 2.5%. A government source told Reuters on Tuesday the Treasury was now considering setting it at 2.9%.

With the economy now widely expected to slide into deep recession, further upward revisions seem possible.

Codogno forecast that Italian GDP will fall 1.2% in the first quarter of this year from the previous three months and then drop by a further 3% in the second quarter.

Increased government spending and the shrinking economy are seen as sure to push up Italy’s huge public debt, which stood at 134.8% of GDP at the end of last year, the highest in the euro zone after that of Greece.

EMERGENCY RELIEF MEASURES

A first batch of emergency economic measures by the Rome government will probably include the suspension of mortgage, tax and other bill payments, ministers said.

Under a moratorium already in place, people and businesses who say they have been hit financially by the coronavirus crisis can apply for their mortgage payments to be frozen and it is up to their bank to decide whether they qualify or not.

The government is also planning to extend a temporary layoff scheme - which allows firms in moments of crisis to leave workers at home for a limited period of time on a reduced salary - to those companies that did not previously qualify for it.

The cabinet is due to meet on Wednesday to approve the initial package of financial relief measures.

Patuanelli called on the EU to ease its public finance rules once the emergency linked to the coronavirus had eased, saying the Union needed to be more flexible otherwise the economic toll would hit ordinary people badly.

“We will ask for the rules to be changed, it a necessary condition, otherwise people will die,” Patuanelli said, adding it was “not a matter of ‘if’ the rules will be challenged but ‘how’ they will.”

Only hours after the lockdown was extended to the entire country, analysts were casting doubts on the sustainability of the quarantine measures.

“Such restrictions have the potential to place an enormous economic burden on the country - and if it goes on too long, (could) create the risk of a kind of restriction fatigue,” said Rowland Kao, a professor of veterinary epidemiology and data science at Britain’s University of Edinburgh.

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

My fear is that kids are Covid superspreaders.  They don't really get sick, spread it all around at school then bring it straight home.

German bio-security advisor:

This.  Kids are good for .5 of R0 if we shut down schools.  Except the CNN top health dude just said closing schools may be pre-emptive strike with unproven benefits.

WTF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

actually my hobby during this pandemic is not giving a fuck.  Our leadership is absent, my children aren't in the highest vulnerable group, my mother with upper-respiratory issues who just turned 74 is convinced this thing is bullshit.  I am a misanthropic germaphobe by nature so this suits me just fine.  I'm spending these last ten days of winter partying my ass off.  Rest of you can fight it out/off.  

And if winter weather is what helped this virus along, please explain Ecuador, Argentina, Indonesia, and Australia.  And feel free to use sharpies on your map as you run through the details  

You might check the climate of Ecuador and much of Argentina 

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Again, all the Pulmonolgists and Infectious Disease MDs I've talked with do not think this is airborne as Osterholm suggests.

i don't know what to think.  in the last 24 hours we've heard "it's only airborne from symptomatic" a 180 from last week which was asymptomatics and surfaces were the biggest risks.

the fuck.

Just heard an interview with this reporter on the radio. She said state health officials at this meeting implied that the CDC is getting out of the way and that the states are being left to handle this on their own. I think she also said Texas is no longer sending samples to the CEC in Atlanta for testing.

While we're ramping up, our capacity seems rather low compared what assuredly will be needed.

Also, apparently, there's a new case in Montgomery County -- a man in his 40s.

'Texas Must Show The World How This Is Done,' Official Says About Containing Spread Of Coronavirus

https://www.kut.org/post/texas-must-show-world-how-done-official-says-about-containing-spread-coronavirus

It’s mostly up to Texans right now to prevent widespread transmission of the coronavirus, the commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services told lawmakers Tuesday.

“Texas must fight back,” Dr. John Hellerstedt said during a meeting at the state Capitol. “[This] is a challenge everyone must take seriously. Texas must show the world how this is done.”

When asked how prepared the state is for the potential spread of the virus, Hellerdstedt said the preparedness “that really matters” is what people can do to prevent transmission in their own communities. For example, he said, people should wash their hands, cover their coughs with their arm and stay home when they are sick.

“If we take steps to protect ourselves, our loved ones, our neighbors and our co-workers, we will all benefit,” he said. “This plan will work if we just do it.”

State Rep. Senfronia Thompson, the chair of the House’s public health committee, asked Hellerstedt about the state’s capabilities in testing for the virus, which has been a growing concern nationwide.

Hellerstedt said his agency, the lead state agency in the matter, is “ramping up” the state’s capacity to do laboratory testing.

He said there are already several public health labs connected to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “up and running” in Austin, El Paso, Lubbock, Dallas and Houston.

“They are capable of performing the tests,” he said.

Hellerstedt said the state can process about 100 tests a day at this point. The lab in Austin alone can currently process about “10 to 20” people a day. He said private labs have also started being able to test for the virus.

When asked if he thought Texas currently has adequate testing available to deal with the potential spread, he said "yes, I do."

Hellerstedt said the health agency is holding daily calls with state health officials and is also frequently in communication with federal agencies like the CDC.

In terms of when certain large gatherings or schools would be closed to try to stop the spread of the virus, Hellerstedt said there'd still be local control – meaning, local health officials would make all the key decisions on what to close and when.

Nim Kidd, chief of the Texas Division of Emergency Management, said he also believes the state is ready to meet this challenge.

He said the method it will respond with “is not new” – it is the same protocols for natural disasters and terrorist attacks.

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Starts about 5:30 in. 

It's funny to hear him tell Joe that all the things he does to be healthy won't/dont work

is it true that its airborne in this manner? i can understand sneezing and getting boogers and shit flying around, but airborne is much more alarming isn't it? 

i don't know shit here but that stands out as a bit different to what i guess i was believing/thinking

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Again, all the Pulmonolgists and Infectious Disease MDs I've talked with do not think this is airborne as Osterholm suggests.

The uncertainty of all this is what makes me the most worried.

This interview does make me hate the fucking government even more

15 minutes ago, Hozz said:

500K dead in the US by July?  I'll take the under.

By July?  Yeah, I'll take the under.  My back-of-the-matchbook calculations of total dead in the US (during the entire outbreak, including its resurgence in the fall) is between 250k and 1.4 million.  I am guessing that the ultimate number will be in the lower-middle of that, so a total of 500k isn't outlandish.  But it will take longer than July to get there.

Whatever televangelist Jim Bakker is selling, the New York Attorney General ain’t buying.

Lisa Landau, Chief of the Health Care Bureau, gave The Jim Bakker Show 10 days to comply with a cease-and-desist letter that tells him to stop touting an alleged cure for the coronavirus. The letter was sent Thursday to Bakker’s office and cited a Feb. 12 episode of his show that claimed a Silver Solution sold on his website would be a preventative against the coronavirus.

John Oliver covered the claims on his HBO Last Week Tonight show (see video below at the 17-minute mark).

Bakker was previously convicted of fraud and served time in federal prison related to his activities connected to his popular Praise The Lord (PTL) Club show, a religious version of mainstream talk shows featuring Jim and wife Tammy Faye Bakker. The couple later divorced in 1992 in the wake of a scandal that saw Bakker pay hush money to cover up an affair with church secretary Jessica Hahn. But at one point in the 1980s, he was arguably the most prominent televangelist in America.

He now has a new show and a new wife.

On the Feb. 12 show in question, Bakker asked guest Sherill Sellman if the solution she was talking about would work against the coronavirus.

“Let’s say it hasn’t been tested on this strain of the coronavirus, but it’s been rested on other strains of the coronavirus and has been able to eliminate it within 12 hours,” she replied.

“The World Heath Organization (‘WHO’) has noted that there is no specific medicine to prevent or treat this disease,”  Landau said in her letter to Bakker. “Therefore, any representation on the Jim Bakker Show that its Silver Solution products are effective at combating and/or treating the 2019 novel coronavirus violates New York law.”

Landau also said a disclaimer had to be listed on the website denying any claims on its efficacy. “These statement have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease,” the disclaimer reads.

The Silver Solution products were on sale for more than $125.

Watch a segment from Bakker’s new show above. The John Oliver show that revealed the scandal is below.

31 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Is this 75,000 tests capable for EACH lab or 75,000 tests for all labs combined? 

Also, how many of the 75,000 can be tested daily?

The reason I ask is because I believe in very short order the US will shoot in to the #2 spot behind China once we really start testing.

I know we all know that is because we have 300+ million citizens, and there is a substantial backlog of cases.

But can you imagine the panic that will ensue when we skyrocket from say 1,000 cases today to 20,000 in a week.

People are going to lose their minds.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away