Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

This is the message I wish we were concentrating on getting out as often as possible. Unfortunately since we have so many idiots in this country that treat the ER like a primary care doctor, I doubt it would help much.

About a quarter of Americans do not have a primary care doctor. Just some context.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I live in Frisco and just read the comments on a local news story about the case discovered here.

We are fucked.

It's really frightening how ignorant most people here are about what is going on with this across the world. What's worse is the narrative that anyone encouraging changes in behavior to avoid catching and spreading this is gullible and caught up in the media frenzy. These people really believe there's nothing to see here, meanwhile other countries are implementing unprecedented quarantines of huge numbers of people.

Any hope I had that this could be moderately contained here is just gone. Idiots are going to be idiots and make sure this thing spreads like crazy, and only once people they know start being impacted will they realize it was more than just the media. Unfortunately that will be about two weeks too late to hope to to anything about it.

General lack of awareness about what goes on in the world has always been pretty embarrassing for a lot of Americans, and for once it's going to bite us in the ass. There's plenty of evidence to go off of at this point in terms of the severity of this, but reading these comments you wouldn't know it.

office space o face GIF

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

Does C3 step in and buy the SXSW name for pennies on the dollar?

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That's probably spot on.  They'll manage to make it even more corporate.  #winning

Had lunch at the Texas Chili Parlor today, across the street from the brand spanking new SXSW building, and was making small talk with the manager while sitting at the bar. He told me he'd just heard SXSW laid off 50 of their staff yesterday (1/3 of their workforce).

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Had lunch at the Texas Chili Parlor today, across the street from the brand spanking new SXSW building, and was making small talk with the manager while sitting at the bar. He told me he'd just heard SXSW laid off 50 of their staff yesterday (1/3 of their workforce).

You could have saved on lunch and watched the news this morning.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, he mentioned a recent study from Germany as the basis for his belief, where they saw like 1000x more of the virus in asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases than full blown cases of SARS.  Would have been nice if he had some link to that.

Edit: this looks like a description of the study Osterholm was referencing https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/people-shed-high-levels-of-coronavirus-study-finds-but-most-are-likely-not-infectious-after-recovery-begins/

People who contract the novel coronavirus emit high amounts of virus very early on in their infection, according to a new study from Germany that helps to explain the rapid and efficient way in which the virus has spread around the world.

The researchers found very high levels of virus emitted from the throat of patients from the earliest point in their illness —when people are generally still going about their daily routines. Viral shedding dropped after day 5 in all but two of the patients, who had more serious illness. The two, who developed early signs of pneumonia, continued to shed high levels of virus from the throat until about day 10 or 11.

This pattern of virus shedding is a marked departure from what was seen with the SARS coronavirus, which ignited an outbreak in 2002-2003. With that disease, peak shedding of virus occurred later, when the virus had moved into the deep lungs.

Shedding from the upper airways early in infection makes for a virus that is much harder to contain. The scientists said at peak shedding, people with Covid-19 are emitting more than 1,000 times more virus than was emitted during peak shedding of SARS infection, a fact that likely explains the rapid spread of the virus. The SARS outbreak was contained after about 8,000 cases; the global count of confirmed Covid-19 cases has already topped 110,000.

Gonna quote myself.  If the findings in that study are accurate, waiting until you have the classic symptoms being discussed (fever, cough and shortness of breath) may be too late.  You might have already passed it on.

I want to take this opportunity to once again say fuck you China. I wonder if this will make US manufacturers reconsider doing business in China. I doubt it, but it would be better to not have to be in places where they eat bats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

I want to take this opportunity to once again say fuck you China. I wonder if this will make US manufacturers reconsider doing business in China. I doubt it, but it would be better to not have to be in places where they eat bats.

ozzy osbourne rock GIF

Too late

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

Just now, justhookit said:

Not that I would even engage in that conversation but I am 100% positive this isn’t the thread for it.

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. 

If discussing the levels of health care available to Americans during a pandemic upsets you, perhaps you're in the wrong place?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

You could have saved on lunch and watched the news this morning.

I don't tend to watch the local news in the morning but now see the info in the SXSW thread. Even without learning that bit of info, it was still worth it to eat at the Chili Parlor.

• Like 2

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The next World Golf Championship starts in two weeks in Austin, Texas, and PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan “fully expects” the Dell Match Play to go on as scheduled.

“We're all in and making certain that we're able to operate that event,” he said Tuesday.

The popular South by Southwest festival, which last year attracted nearly 300,000 people, already was canceled over concerns about the new coronavirus outbreak.

Austin city officials issued a statement Monday that events with at least 2,500 people are prohibited “unless organizers can assure Austin Public Health that mitigation plans for infectious diseases are in place.”

The tour has submitted plans for the Match Play, which starts March 25 at Austin Country Club for the top 64 players available from the world ranking.

“This thing is so dynamic that you just have to go hour-to-hour, day-to-day,” Monahan said. “But right now, we have every assurance that we'll be in Austin.”

Monahan says the tour began with a task force on COVID-19, and now that has become what he described as a “business unit” led by its medical director and chief administrative officer. He said they have a “large team” studying the virus and implications to tour business.

As for the Match Play, Monahan left open the possibility that it could be played without fans, or with limited attendance.

“There are different ways of operating an event based on the circumstances in terms of fan involvement and how we operate the event,” he said. “But we're still confident that we'd be able to operate the event.”

2 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Buddy decides to take his young daughter and wife to NYC over the weekend. Because, what could go wrong?

Here is the subway at 8am Sunday. Said Saturday was the same.

29e868b726dc3cf6138f10939ac87520.jpg

That's good, though. Right?

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

With S. Korea and China's numbers, and with the poor healthcare and the media blackouts in N. Korea, I wonder how they're fairing, especially with China being the only border they can cross.

Posted this earlier, but it's a shitshow:

https://www.businessinsider.com/almost-200-north-korean-soldiers-died-coronavirus-2020-3

200 troops dead and 4000 in quarantine - that's the "rumor" and remember this is a country with rampant malnutrition. But the 'dear leader' says it's not there. 

• Like 1

I was assuming that Italians would not comply with the closure of restaurants after 6pm. Most restaurants don't even open until after 6. And Italians are famously, how do I say this gently, laid back about rules and shit. Anyway I went into the pizza place, which had the lights on so I knew it was open. It doesn't normally open until 6:30 according to Google. They were takeaway only. No seating. Seems like a reasonable accomodation. Bad news is, lots of family owned businesses are gonna suffer pretty badly.

168 reported dead today here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing earlier today.  If nearly everyone is going to get this, wouldn't it be better to get it earlier before thehealth care system is swamped?

Great, now people want to hoard the virus too? 

If we’re gonna be draconian about no CR outside the CR, can we change the thread titles so that the DT thread and the CR thread appear to be different when you have multiple tabs open in your browser?   Because right now they both just show up as Chinese Coronavirus at a quick glance.

Something like:

DT: Chinese Coronavirus

CR: Chinese Coronavirus

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Just got my monthly BCBS email newsletter. Zero mention of covid 19...good looking out, BCBS.

i would guess it will be addressed soon.  or, maybe not.  i would guess it has been addressed internally.  or, maybe not.

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I interpreted that as him saying it’s going to be endemic. So, between now and the end of their life, pretty much everybody will get it at some point. Just like the flu or a cold, everybody doesn’t get it every year, but everybody eventually gets it.

I've heard doctors opine that cold and flu season will change to cold, flu, and covid season.

41 minutes ago, BERT said:

Sorry if this has been covered. First case in Gregg County confirmed earlier today. If I get it I’m gonna enjoy my 2 weeks playing GTA and catching up on sleep 

Confirmation: https://www.kltv.com/2020/03/10/net-health-confirms-case-covid-gregg-county/

Gregg County is home to the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in East Texas, according to the Northeast Texas Public Health District.

The test result was confirmed late Monday afternoon by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia.

According to officials, the patient traveled within the continental United States, has mild illness, and is currently isolated and recovering in their home. The immediate risk of transmission in Gregg County remains low, and officials have found no evidence of community spread.

Officials said the patient came to an unspecified CHRISTUS Good Shepherd emergency room last Tuesday, March 3, and was isolated following a screening.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Was cancelled a while ago but here's some more on the backstory why it wasn't announced.  Insurance companies are not going to cover this so instead of eating millions they were scrambling and came up with October.  SXSW and Ultra Miami are totally cancelled.  They'll lose 10's of millions and I'm not sure those orgs can sustain those losses.  We will find out soon.  

Insurance will make more dough in the future as we have more shit we need to insure, yay.  They'll obviously pass that cost on to the masses.  

Shit, have y'all implemented electronic prescriptions yet? We are soon to be charged about $70 per month for the pleasure of prescribing controlled substances. It would be nice to be able to pass on the cost.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Did they have chili today? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I honestly am not seeing all that much CR unless you think “I think the President is downplaying this to a dangerous degree” and “the government is mishandling this IMO” are CR-worthy comments.  There have been some CR-worthy takes here and there, but not much. 

I’m curious how much of this “take it to CR” shit is really “I disagree and I don’t want to argue about it.”

You already know.

What is there to discuss?  The characteristics of the virus?  We could cover that pretty quickly. How it is spread?  Maybe a page worth of info. Numbers of infected and dead?  We could search that pretty easily.  

There's an entity that is charged with developing programs to address pandemics.  They have people on staff who are experts.  They use the money collected from all of us to address the issue.  Their success or failure has consequences for us.  It seems like this is the part people want to talk about.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away