Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Yesterday the mayor of Angeles City Philippines issued his own ban on new visitors from China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Japan, Iran, and Italy. Starting midnight last night he was stationing police at all entrances to the city to enforce the ban. I am curious to see if they actually turn away next weekend's batch of Korean tourists.

With the threat of a lock-down of Manila, people from of places are heading home to their provinces now since most have to take a bus through Manila. This will probably ensure rapid spread to the provinces, as I suspect workers in Manila are leaving too while they can.

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

to GucciSUit...my apologies.  I wandered off the reservation and did not remember that this was supposed to be a safe space from both the CoronaVirus and reason.  So you had every right to neg rep me because this thread has no home for ignorance nor facts.  God bless you and may god wipe out your poor excuse for a genetic tree.  I'm sorry your false messiah will cause your parents to die in a warm bath of their own infected phlegm.  

You need to get back on the reservation pretty quick with that kind of bullshit speak.  That’s beyond fucked up man.  

• Like 6

Did they have chili today? 

Motherfucker...
Right in line with the fatality % we have been seeing worldwide for the past 10 weeks

Again, I think the cfr is inflated because the total number of actual cases is surely way higher than the number of diagnoses cases. The cfr is still going to be way higher than the flu, but not 3%.
They always have chili. 

That’s what I thought too, but [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention], [mention=251]Pescado_Rojo[/mention] and [mention=671]Kyrie Eleison[/mention] and I found out otherwise. 

I have rarely been more flummoxed.

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

to GucciSUit...my apologies.  I wandered off the reservation and did not remember that this was supposed to be a safe space from both the CoronaVirus and reason.  So you had every right to neg rep me because this thread has no home for ignorance nor facts.  God bless you and may god wipe out your poor excuse for a genetic tree.  I'm sorry your false messiah will cause your parents to die in a warm bath of their own infected phlegm.  

@immamac    I think someone needs a break.   Wishing death on someone’s family because of their political leanings, regardless of how firmly you disagree, is beyond reproach.  This ain’t the fucking Khmer Rouge bro 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, I think the cfr is inflated because the total number of actual cases is surely way higher than the number of diagnoses cases. The cfr is still going to be way higher than the flu, but not 3%.

That is stated in the CDC article I posted a few posts up.

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What really gets me is that the CDC wanted to dump all these evacuees near the entrance of the Cheesecake Factory at North Star Mall to avoid the press after the quarantine ended. Instead of taking them straight to the fucking airport. 

Edited by MrBig
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Mandatory pre-symptomatic masks for our population?  I'd like that a lot more than mass quarantine, but a combination of both would probably be pretty damn helpful. 

Wish we had 'em

Yep, you wear them to protect others. And of course, shut down the fucking schools. 

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

@immamac    I think someone needs a break.   Wishing death on someone’s family because of their political leanings, regardless of how firmly you disagree, is beyond reproach.  This ain’t the fucking Khmer Rouge bro 

Yes, what he said.  Ban me forever.  

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So wait, CDC not only dropped testing numbers off the main US page, on the testing page, they are not testing at all?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing-in-us.html

Again, that's what it sounded like from the interview with the KUT reporter I listened to on the way home this evening. Not to fuck up the quote, but the reporter said something along the lines of "the CDC is getting out of the way and is going to let the states lead the way." She was reporting on the committee hearing from the Texas Capitol that was held today.

Edit: She reported that the state was no longer sending samples to the CDC and that we were now going to do all the tests on our own, which Texas currently has the capacity of performing 100 per day though "we're ramping up."

Edited by bolverk

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What are your thoughts on the theory that due to the potential inability of the hospitals to treat the amount of patients, the CFR will be higher than it otherwise would be.

To be clear, say a hospital could properly care for 100 severe Covid-19 cases.  If they never exceed 100 patients at a time the CFR would be maybe 2.

But what if that hospital needed to care for 300 severe cases?  Couldn't the CFR jump substantially even though technically the virus itself is no more deadly due to inadequate care because of an overwhelmed hospital?

Edited by Somnio

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

As long as your political opinions trend to the left you can do whatever the fuck you want on here.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 16

So my folks are driving down to Florida from the Midwest next week. Think over on the gulf side somewhere. Just to spend a couple weeks at the beach at a VRBO place or something like that. They are 77. Is this something I need to tell them to reconsider? 

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm not seeing that:

The reference is about how two weeks of delay makes a massive difference, and that we are four (or more) days into that period, that we are doing what Italy did, and more importantly what they didn’t do:   Pay attention to the last part I quoted:

Simply put, as evidence of human-to-human transmission becomes clear in a community, officials must pull the trigger on aggressive interventions. Time matters. Two weeks of delay can mean the difference between success and failure. Public health experts learned this in 1918 when the Spanish flu killed 50 million to 100 million peoplearound the globe. If we fail to take action, we will watch our health-care system be overwhelmed.

Starting now, public health messaging should be framed in light of this clear objective. Community-based interventions are needed to delay the outbreak peak. On this, the 1918 flu taught us a lot. The difference between the steps taken in Philadelphia, which waited too long back then, and St. Louis, which acted quickly, is staggering. Aggressive interventions put off and ease the peak burden on hospitals and other health-care infrastructure. Ultimately, these measures can also diminish the overall number of cases and health impacts.

”Consider the actions taken in Italy. On Feb. 20, Italy reported three instances of infection and no known deaths. On Feb. 21, Italy had 20 cases and its first attributed death. Officials implemented interventions, including school closures, the following day and instituted a cordon sanitaire affecting 50,000 people. That’s aggressive, but it was too late. On Feb. 22, Italy reported 63 cases and a second death. A little more than a week later, there were 2,036 cases, with 140 patients in serious condition and 52 deaths. Today, the numbers continue to climb, with more than 9,100 cases and 460 dead, and on Monday the government expanded travel restrictions to the entire country.

We are at a thousand known cases and 30 deaths and not nearly moving as aggressively as Italy.  

3 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So my folks are driving down to Florida from the Midwest next week. Think over on the gulf side somewhere. Just to spend a couple weeks at the beach at a VRBO place or something like that. They are 77. Is this something I need to tell them to reconsider? 

eiycno1mmqc01.png

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The reference is about how two weeks of delay makes a massive difference, and that we are four (or more) days into that period, that we are doing what Italy did, and more importantly what they didn’t do:   Pay attention to the last part I quoted:

We are at a thousand known cases and 30 deaths and not nearly moving as aggressively as Italy.  

Dont be like Italy. Be like SK. 

9 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

It depends.  Do you like them?  Do they have big life insurance and you are the beneficiary?  

In all seriousness I would advise them against it especially if they have any health issues.  

11 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It depends.  Do you like them?  Do they have big life insurance and you are the beneficiary?  

In all seriousness I would advise them against it especially if they have any health issues.  

At the rate this is going, I don’t think they will need much convincing.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Bat soup. 
sounds like Coronavirus 

bat soup 

pretty much is 

delirium tremens, I do to myself. I like it .

CV is because of face touching

unrespecting 

sneezing bitches that cant be troubled to wash their hand and stay home when sick. 

And lack of proper leadership.

say good-bye to grandma.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

We tried that with wife’s mom. She chose to listen to the it’s not big deal opinions and went. Now we wait. 

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Of course.... Fucking Florida. This shit gets into the swamps and old homes numbers are going to be crazy. 

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, please project Ramjet. We need him in August. 

dare t’aint nutin’ ta woreie ’bout! Hot Temps kills them bugz!  /everyFLperson

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really do believe all of our lives are about to change.  It's really unbelievable.  I'm like, is this real life?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dont be like Italy. Be like SK. 

His view is more like Hong Kong and Singapore.    He thinks we can do it in 8 weeks, but that would be if we started right now.  

We are way behind on the count, and nobody is paying attention to the dude banging on the trash can lid.  

/toosoon 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Any docs listen into the TMA town hall phone meeting this evening? I got interrupted for about 15 minutes but the takeaways I got were:

-More testing now available through state labs in many cities as well as private labs (Quest, Labcorp)
-Updated indications for testing based on PUI guidelines which I think are on the website
-Anyone tested needs to be completely isolated until results are known
-Sick people need to stay out of public
-Mildly sick people (with unknown COVID status) who can manage their symptoms at home need to avoid going to the ER or even their physician’s office because it clogs up the healthcare system and exposes other people for no real benefit
-Physicians are concerned about the lack of testing, lack of PPE, inability to protect themselves, their clinic, staff, other patients
-No word on when more PPE will become available

Someone chime in if I missed something important.

wash your hands 

stop touching your face

avoid crowds

now

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really do believe all of our lives are about to change.  It's really unbelievable.  I'm like, is this real life?

Honestly, could handle a massive reduction in social interaction, school shutdown/remote teaching, avoiding stores for a month or two.

My concern is that I’m a man, in 40s, and so I’ve still got a shitload of relatives in their 60s and on into their 70s, with just two members left who were born in the early 30s     And I’ve made sure my kids are as close as possible with all of them.

Basically, I've got enough olds in my family that we could easily lose a few to this shit.   And it’s gonna fall onto my shoulders, and my cousins, to deal with the aftermath   

• Like 1

So I was at a conference tonight with a few hundred people.  I refused to shake anybody’s hands tonight because of the corona virus.  I was doing the elbow bump thing.  I was looked at like I am crazy and told by numerous people that this corona virus is no big deal and it’s just a cold and the media is making it worse than it is.  One of the guys told me he is 68 with diabetes and heart problems and will continue running around the country and he is not worried about corona virus because its just a way to hurt his president and nothing else.  Am I being too cautious in not shaking hands and bathing in hand sanitizer at this point?

17 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So I was at a conference tonight with a few hundred people.  I refused to shake anybody’s hands tonight because of the corona virus.  I was doing the elbow bump thing.  I was looked at like I am crazy and told by numerous people that this corona virus is no big deal and it’s just a cold and the media is making it worse than it is.  One of the guys told me he is 68 with diabetes and heart problems and will continue running around the country and he is not worried about corona virus because its just a way to hurt his president and nothing else.  Am I being too cautious in not shaking hands and bathing in hand sanitizer at this point?

Not at all.  We live in clown world where it's a widely held belief this global pandemic is a hoax, facts be damned!

Though in all honesty, just going to a conference is probably a bad idea at this point.

14 minutes ago, brakeman said:

delirium tremens, I do to myself. I like it .

CV is because of face touching

unrespecting 

sneezing bitches that cant be troubled to wash their hand and stay home when sick. 

And lack of proper leadership.

say good-bye to grandma.

Wyaaaaaa. 

Murghhhhh grrbokgh.

Wyoorg. 

A-oo-ah

Ah-ah.

Ah.

2 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Not at all.  We live in clown world where it's a widely held belief this global pandemic is a hoax, facts be damned!

Though in all honesty, just going to a conference is probably a bad idea at this point.

I didn’t want to go but the one running the conference is a client/friend for over 20 years and I am speaking so I felt bad bailing on the deal and he was giving me a hard time if I did.  Peer pressure is a bitch.

Italian update

http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/news/p3_2_1_1_1.jsp?lingua=italiano&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=4192

In the field of health monitoring relating to the spread of the new Coronavirus on the national territory, there are 10149 total cases, at the moment 8514 people are positive for the virus.

There are 1004 people healed.

There are 5038 patients hosp,italized with symptoms, 877 in intensive care, while 2599 are in home isolation.

631 have died, however this number can be confirmed only after the Istituto Superiore di Sanità has established the actual cause of the death.

The Head of Civil Protection and Emergency Commissioner, Angelo Borrelli, announced that there are 280 more people recovered than yesterday; he also invited all citizens to inquire exclusively through official channels, so as not to encourage the spread of fake news.

Consult the tables:

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away