Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The reference is about how two weeks of delay makes a massive difference, and that we are four (or more) days into that period, that we are doing what Italy did, and more importantly what they didn’t do:   Pay attention to the last part I quoted:

We are at a thousand known cases and 30 deaths and not nearly moving as aggressively as Italy.  

doomed. no joke.

Italian update
http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/news/p3_2_1_1_1.jsp?lingua=italiano&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=4192

In the field of health monitoring relating to the spread of the new Coronavirus on the national territory, there are 10149 total cases, at the moment 8514 people are positive for the virus.

There are 1004 people healed.

There are 5038 patients hosp,italized with symptoms, 877 in intensive care, while 2599 are in home isolation.

631 have died, however this number can be confirmed only after the Istituto Superiore di Sanità has established the actual cause of the death.

The Head of Civil Protection and Emergency Commissioner, Angelo Borrelli, announced that there are 280 more people recovered than yesterday; he also invited all citizens to inquire exclusively through official channels, so as not to encourage the spread of fake news.

Consult the tables:

Those numbers don’t make sense to me, ~60% of infected have been hospitalized or icu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So I was at a conference tonight with a few hundred people.  I refused to shake anybody’s hands tonight because of the corona virus.  I was doing the elbow bump thing.  I was looked at like I am crazy and told by numerous people that this corona virus is no big deal and it’s just a cold and the media is making it worse than it is.  One of the guys told me he is 68 with diabetes and heart problems and will continue running around the country and he is not worried about corona virus because its just a way to hurt his president and nothing else.  Am I being too cautious in not shaking hands and bathing in hand sanitizer at this point?

nope. man i sure hope i am wrong.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Those numbers don’t make sense to me, ~60% of infected have been hospitalized or icu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just IMO, no facts or data to back it up.  Italy is in survival mode, they quit counting every single case some time ago.  If you show up at the hospital with the sniffles they tell you to GTFO and self-quarantine.  The only people they are treating are severe cases and those need to be hospitalized.

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Basically, I've got enough olds in my family that we could easily lose a few to this shit.   And it’s gonna fall onto my shoulders, and my cousins, to deal with the aftermath   

Pretty selfish of them to leave that on you and your cousins imo. 

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Rogan may end up being a national hero for having that dude on. That guy was far, far more bleak/negative than any other expert I’ve heard from. That’s exactly what his brainless fanbase needs to hear to finally take this thing serious.

You should listen more often. JR has some very interesting guests. 

- Brainless Fan 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So I was at a conference tonight with a few hundred people and let’s just say most of the people at this event seem to be Republican/Trump supporters... One of the guys told me he is 68 with diabetes and heart problems and will continue running around the country and he is not worried about corona virus because its just a way to hurt his president and nothing else.  Am I being too cautious in not shaking hands and bathing in hand sanitizer at this point?

Crazy. My one year old kid told me the same thing. He can’t talk yet but it’s a good story for a message board. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

My daughter is in Iceland with her boyfriend’s family. Over 80 cases in a country that small, and she says her hotel in Reykjavik is crawling with fucking Chinese. Well, they may not be fucking, but that’s not the point. She flies back Thursday. She might as well be quarantined. 

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

Not at all.  We live in clown world where it's a widely held belief this global pandemic is a hoax, facts be damned!

Though in all honesty, just going to a conference is probably a bad idea at this point.

I didn’t want to go but the one running the conference is a client/friend for over 20 years and I am speaking so I felt bad bailing on the deal and he was giving me a hard time if I did.  Peer pressure is a bitch.

Shit is evolving.  Last weekend hit a smaller medical conference in Vegas.  About 250 docs.  Wasn’t cancelled.  

Since we got back Sunday AMDA - American Medical Directors Association - has cancelled their conference here in Chicago (going virtual).  And also Mayo has barred all employees from nonessential travel.  That was from a Mayo doc on a conference call we had today.  

I have a trip planned to Miami in a couple weeks.  Still a toss up for me at this point.  Hoping 80 degree weather stops it down there but it looks like it’s spreading in FL.  If your parents are old, I’d give that a hard no either way.  

So I was at a conference tonight with a few hundred people and let’s just say most of the people at this event seem to be Republican/Trump supporters.  I refused to shake anybody’s hands tonight because of the corona virus.  I was doing the elbow bump thing.  I was looked at like I am crazy and told by numerous people that this corona virus is no big deal and it’s just a cold and the media is making it worse than it is.  One of the guys told me he is 68 with diabetes and heart problems and will continue running around the country and he is not worried about corona virus because its just a way to hurt his president and nothing else.  Am I being too cautious in not shaking hands and bathing in hand sanitizer at this point?

Trump actually is behind the coronavirus pandemic, just like Bush steered Hurricane Katrina into New Orleans in 2005. Motherfuckers.

• Fuck You 25

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There may be no reported cases in Wyoming yet, but I can all but guarantee it’s here with all the adidas folks flying back and forth from LA to Cody for Kanye. 

First tourist to pass this to a grizzly in Teton national park is really going to mess stuff up. 

• Like 1

There may be no reported cases in Wyoming yet, but I can all but guarantee it’s here with all the adidas folks flying back and forth from LA to Cody for Kanye. 

I feel the same about here in Alabama.

The state ran the first tests two days ago FFS.

It’s definitely here just nothing confirmed yet.

5 hours ago, Girdwood said:

Trump actually is behind the coronavirus pandemic, just like Bush steered Hurricane Katrina into New Orleans in 2005. Motherfuckers.

Get that CR shit out of here! You should be banned for this comment. 

(Get how stupid that all is? Maybe you should self-quarantine from this thread.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Who is this defensive tackle named Chinese Coronavirus? Is he a grad transfer? I don’t want hear any jokes about him killing motherfuckers.

He was a croot from last year's team, you can tell by the incredibly delayed blitz

Per this graph, we are 11 days behind Italy  get more toilet paper 

PKoCRyKf_normal.jpg

· 18h
DAYS BEHIND ITALY - Every country’s epidemic trajectory (except SK) is on track to become Italy

Flag of Italy
epidemic level within a matter of 1-2 weeks at this current pace. #COVID19 The only reason SK isn’t is because of harsh containment measures there (graphic hat tip to @MarkJHandley)

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1237430528346816512?s=20

7 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So my folks are driving down to Florida from the Midwest next week. Think over on the gulf side somewhere. Just to spend a couple weeks at the beach at a VRBO place or something like that. They are 77. Is this something I need to tell them to reconsider? 

Only if they have cut you out of the will.

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My daughter is in Iceland with her boyfriend’s family. Over 80 cases in a country that small, and she says her hotel in Reykjavik is crawling with fucking Chinese. Well, they may not be fucking, but that’s not the point. She flies back Thursday. She might as well be quarantined. 

81 cases in Iceland is the rough equivalent of 83,000 cases in the United States. For the guys sprinting around and jacking off in everyone’s faces that we’re all about to become Italy, they’re missing the fucking boat. Iceland blew past Italy days ago. It’s relative Thunderdome there. Give me Italy. Just don’t give me Iceland, for Christ’s sake. 

• Like 1

updated NYT map: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

ZnJzrBsj

As of Wednesday morning, at least 1,015 people in 38 states and Washington, D.C., have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a New York Times database, and at least 31 patients with the virus have died.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

That’s what I thought too, but [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention], [mention=251]Pescado_Rojo[/mention] and [mention=671]Kyrie Eleison[/mention] and I found out otherwise. 

the look on y’all’s collective faces was worth it. it was if they murdered your kids right in front of you.
  • Like 1

Serious question, who and where are these people that die of the common flu every year?  Surely the Surly has olds that we know who died just last year or in the last two months from the common flu.  If 56000 die here in the U.S. each year than we should have almost 11k in the U.S. to date.  Where is the scatter map for that?  Wouldn't this type of chart as compared to Corona simply help with the panic?  It could say something like, why worry about Corona when you live with people who have been dying all day every day your whole life, Corona only adds a few more.  Isn't this what the CDC is saying?  Isnt this what the President is saying because the WHO and CDC is saying it?  If the bigger issue is panic and not the virus itself why the fuck aren't we informing or handling the panic better?  With all the media outlets available to those in charge.  Simply step the fuck up and tell people what needs to be said.  Don't we have a surgeon general?  Why is he not addressing the nation?  If because this doesn't warrant it than the fucking press secretary should say that.  What does this country need to wake up and be logical in lieu of panic?  Maybe an up to date online public national list of death with the numbers and reason for death (no names) by geographic location here in the U.S.   This way we are informed as a nation that the fucking flu does indeed kill 56k a year so adding a few cases of a new nasty virus is serious but we all know its place in the grand scheme of things.  Maybe such a list would also bring people to consider their health more?    

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That’s some championship level spread, right there. Jenna Jameson in her prime-level shit. So, l’chaim? 

I’m in line with moving all greetings and ceremonial embraces immediately over to the Japanese bow, with a proximity of no closer than 4 feet. 

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That’s some championship level spread, right there. Jenna Jameson in her prime-level shit. So, l’chaim? 

I’m in line with moving all greetings and ceremonial embraces immediately over to the Japanese bow, with a proximity of no closer than 4 feet. 

19 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Serious question, who and where are these people that die of the common flu every year?  Surely the Surly has olds that we know who died just last year or in the last two months from the common flu.  If 56000 die here in the U.S. each year than we should have almost 11k in the U.S. to date.  Where is the scatter map for that?  Wouldn't this type of chart as compared to Corona simply help with the panic?  It could say something like, why worry about Corona when you live with people who have been dying all day every day your whole life, Corona only adds a few more.  Isn't this what the CDC is saying?  Isnt this what the President is saying because the WHO and CDC is saying it?  If the bigger issue is panic and not the virus itself why the fuck aren't we informing or handling the panic better?  With all the media outlets available to those in charge.  Simply step the fuck up and tell people what needs to be said.  Don't we have a surgeon general?  Why is he not addressing the nation?  If because this doesn't warrant it than the fucking press secretary should say that.  What does this country need to wake up and be logical in lieu of panic?  Maybe an up to date online public national list of death with the numbers and reason for death (no names) by geographic location here in the U.S.   This way we are informed as a nation that the fucking flu does indeed kill 56k a year so adding a few cases of a new nasty virus is serious but we all know its place in the grand scheme of things.  Maybe such a list would also bring people to consider their health more?    

this shit is not the flu.

stop comparing it to the flu, it's a terrible comparison.

at minimum when comparing the two coronavirus has a higher R0 and a higher CFR (no matter where it ends up, it's likely to be higher than flu)

add in that there is no vaccination, well defined hospital protocol in place, that coronavirus requires more PPE and that the coronavirus requires additional healthcare resources (vents, rooms, etc)

STOP COMPARING CORONAVIRUS TO THE FLU. 

Spoiler

here is the map with age-adjusted death rates from CDC for 2018: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/flu_pneumonia_mortality/flu_pneumonia.htm

2eDIpugh

Edited by NoName
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away