Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Serious question, who and where are these people that die of the common flu every year?  Surely the Surly has olds that we know who died just last year or in the last two months from the common flu.  If 56000 die here in the U.S. each year than we should have almost 11k in the U.S. to date.  Where is the scatter map for that?  Wouldn't this type of chart as compared to Corona simply help with the panic?  It could say something like, why worry about Corona when you live with people who have been dying all day every day your whole life, Corona only adds a few more.  Isn't this what the CDC is saying?  Isnt this what the President is saying because the WHO and CDC is saying it?  If the bigger issue is panic and not the virus itself why the fuck aren't we informing or handling the panic better?  With all the media outlets available to those in charge.  Simply step the fuck up and tell people what needs to be said.  Don't we have a surgeon general?  Why is he not addressing the nation?  If because this doesn't warrant it than the fucking press secretary should say that.  What does this country need to wake up and be logical in lieu of panic?  Maybe an up to date online public national list of death with the numbers and reason for death (no names) by geographic location here in the U.S.   This way we are informed as a nation that the fucking flu does indeed kill 56k a year so adding a few cases of a new nasty virus is serious but we all know its place in the grand scheme of things.  Maybe such a list would also bring people to consider their health more?    

I hereby nominate this post for consideration for the hard fought prize of "Dumbest post on Surly 2020"   I know it's early but this is a high bar.

So I was at a conference tonight with a few hundred people and let’s just say most of the people at this event seem to be Republican/Trump supporters.  I refused to shake anybody’s hands tonight because of the corona virus.  I was doing the elbow bump thing.  I was looked at like I am crazy and told by numerous people that this corona virus is no big deal and it’s just a cold and the media is making it worse than it is.  One of the guys told me he is 68 with diabetes and heart problems and will continue running around the country and he is not worried about corona virus because its just a way to hurt his president and nothing else.  Am I being too cautious in not shaking hands and bathing in hand sanitizer at this point?

Just a spectator here, but I think Girdwood would prefer it if you sucked his dick tbh

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

I hereby nominate this post for consideration for the hard fought prize of "Dumbest post on Surly 2020"   I know it's early but this is a high bar.

Maybe so, i suspect you would know about that title with most of the shit you post.  

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That map doesn't have the case in Gregg County, so it's probably more widespread than that.

well, it's certainly more widespread than the map.

looks like it was last updated at about 11p eastern last night - not sure why this wasn't on the map but will be interested to see if it gets added first update this AM

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The reference is about how two weeks of delay makes a massive difference, and that we are four (or more) days into that period, that we are doing what Italy did, and more importantly what they didn’t do:   Pay attention to the last part I quoted:

We are at a thousand known cases and 30 deaths and not nearly moving as aggressively as Italy.  

The exponential numbers are probably about to be realized in the US by the end of next week.  Deaths will likely pick up too as I’m seeing rough average time to death is about 2 weeks.  Most known cases in the US aren’t two weeks old.  We’re also seeing a proportionally large percentage of ‘active‘ cases as opposed to recovered due to the several weeks long course that this bug causes even when you do eventually recover.  All told, I hope it’s not the case but there may be a shift in mortality to include younger folks over more time simply because it takes longer for younger to succumb.  It’s hard to keep in perspective how fast this is happening and how early in the ordeal we are. 

4 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Maybe so, i suspect you would know about that title with most of the shit you post.  

ahhh thanks man, it means a lot coming from a poster like you.  I would say the same about you, but honestly, apart from that majestically stupid post, I can't recall a single thing you've posted.  So congrats for that.

Well the lab my wife works in asked her to validate their coronavirus test yesterday. 

its been nice knowing you all. If someone in the pedobear costume could drop off the wreath, it’d be a nice touch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

Mhm.  So like i was asking...what can be done to address the panic to an uninformed public?  

It all starts with using the blunt truth in all matters and being informed by clear eyed scientific, epidemiologic, and medical observations to help people make informed decisions.

• Like 1

I’ve heard first hand, from multiple hospital workers whom I trust,  that we have suspected cases in Austin. That’s probably not a shock to those of you who have been following this but don’t be surprised to start hearing news reports come out today. I’m headed to HEB ASAP before the panic cranks up a notch.

35 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It could say something like, why worry about Corona when you live with people who have been dying all day every day your whole life, Corona only adds a few more.  Isn't this what the CDC is saying?  Isnt this what the President is saying because the WHO and CDC is saying it?  If the bigger issue is panic and not the virus itself ...

im-retarded-gif-1.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

So my folks are driving down to Florida from the Midwest next week. Think over on the gulf side somewhere. Just to spend a couple weeks at the beach at a VRBO place or something like that. They are 77. Is this something I need to tell them to reconsider? 

Yes tell them to consider staying out of the passing lane if they’re going to drive 5 under the limit.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Mhm.  So like i was asking...what can be done to address the panic to an uninformed public?  

Start with stop comparing it to the fucking flu.   The flu nailed almost 3 million in Italy between October and January, and killed less than 250.   This virus has infected 10,000 in Italy in less than a month, and killed over 660.  

Listen to actual experts.

Stop putting people in prime time interviews on large cable news networks, who downplay it.   The olds are shaping their opinions on that stuff.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The only panic thus far as been an irrational run on TP and water. 

There will be panic when NYC becomes Milan because our president and so many people are down playing this. The only way to reduce the panic is to spread it out by being honest with the public, at the potential expense of the stock market. 

Just now, NoName said:

first of all, you (and everyone else) can stop comparing this to the flu.

You miss the point.  The comparison is not medical.  My comparison is its impact on the numbers of death and life in general.  If the common flu kills 5k a month why the fuck are we canceling shit and the markets are crashing for another "flu like" disease.    

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

15 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Honestly, consistent messaging from our national leadership and president that was in line with the medical facts of the situation. 

His constant comparisons to the flu has poisoned the intellectual well and now smart but uninformed people reasonably believe it's just a flu. 

The complete lack of testing and visibility into the spread is itself a cause for panic. The unknown is always scarier than even the worst reality in the absence of facts and data. 

Leading by example by not holding massive public gatherings and issuing directives at a federal level to improve isolation and flatten the curve wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I feel the same about here in Alabama.

The state ran the first tests two days ago FFS.

It’s definitely here just nothing confirmed yet.

There no doubt it’s in the Huntsville area. Way too much traffic between there and both coasts.

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

You miss the point.  The comparison is not medical.  My comparison is its impact on the numbers of death and life in general.  If the common flu kills 5k a month why the fuck are we canceling shit and the markets are crashing for another "flu like" disease.    

Is the flu wiping out 20+ people in a single assisted living home?  And actually it maybe closer to 30, but they are so far not testing the 11 people who died prior to a week and a half ago or so in that facility.  

It’s not the fucking flu.  We have no immunity, no vaccine, and it spreads faster, and it requires healthcare workers to be suited up in a lot of gear that we are short of.  

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Honestly, consistent messaging from our national leadership and president that was in line with the medical facts of the situation. 

His constant comparisons to the flu has poisoned the intellectual well and now smart but uninformed people reasonably believe it's just a flu. 

The complete lack of testing and visibility into the spread is itself a cause for panic. The unknown is always scarier than even the worst reality in the absence of facts and data. 

Leading by example by not holding massive public gatherings and issuing directives at a federal level to improve isolation and flatten the curve wouldn't be a bad thing either. 

I've seen his tweets he has been consistent.

Yes, it isn't the flu apparently its technically a disease with a virus name thanks WHO

Yet only a few people know what the fuck is going on.  My issue is the panic is more costly at this point to more people than the disease itself and so that is more my concern than fucking Covid -19.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is the flu wiping out 20+ people in a single assisted living home?  And actually it maybe closer to 30, but they are so far not testing the 11 people who died prior to a week and a half ago or so in that facility.  

It’s not the fucking flu.  We have no immunity, no vaccine, and it spreads faster, and it requires healthcare workers to be suited up in a lot of gear that we are short of.  

One more time please.  And yes the flu apparently is killing 5k of people a month somewhere.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Fuck You 3

17 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

I’ve heard first hand, from multiple hospital workers whom I trust,  that we have suspected cases in Austin. That’s probably not a shock to those of you who have been following this but don’t be surprised to start hearing news reports come out today. I’m headed to HEB ASAP before the panic cranks up a notch.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, The Dog said:

Posted this earlier, but it's a shitshow:

https://www.businessinsider.com/almost-200-north-korean-soldiers-died-coronavirus-2020-3

200 troops dead and 4000 in quarantine - that's the "rumor" and remember this is a country with rampant malnutrition. But the 'dear leader' says it's not there. 

Well, he doesn’t poop or pee so he’s fine. 

10 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It’s deliberately driving a narrative that is not helpful or informative.

The CDC is also obfuscating the numbers on testing - something China did early on.  We cannot tell if they are testing on a large scale, we cannot tell if there is a bottleneck somewhere, whether it’s deployment or processing.  

Think about this - Pence goes out, says we’ll have a million tests ready last week, then they walk it back.  US Surgeon General on Sunday says we have 75,000 tests, and on Monday will have 2 million, and will have 4 million tests by the end of this week.   Then the CDC adds and then removes testing data to their website.  

Now the CDC is showing on their website that they appear to be stopping testing, or are zeroing out the data to keep us in the dark.

Meanwhile, Italy is publishing daily spreadsheets of how many they test, demographics, locations, etc,   South Korea was publishing data down to “if you visited this love motel on this date between  11am and 11:30am, you may have been exposed”

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Secretary of HHS was just on CBS.  

Let’s just say, his interview did not go over well.  

Secretary of HHS, US Surgeon General, CDC head, none of these people are giving good interviews or inspiring confidence.  

It’s like they have some major achievement or did something to get noticed, and rise to the top of their profession, and then they run into this virus and turn into Dennis Franchione.

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

There will be panic when NYC becomes Milan because our president and so many people are down playing this. . 

Really really hope we don’t get there if only bc for whatever reason, the NYC or NY government really step it up in times of crisis IMO. They obviously have their normal graft, idiots, etc but looking at 9/11, the blackout, the fuckhead uhual driver, they got their shit together and helped keep the rest of us calm when shit hit the fan. 

Not sure what the containment center in New Rochelle is supposed to do since it looks like people can voluntarily leave it (but are they strongly “advised” not to? Honestly have no idea) but it’s something. They might still shit the bed but still think they’ll try to do anything they can before shutting down the city Milan style. 

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Not sure what the containment center in New Rochelle is supposed to do since it looks like people can voluntarily leave it (but are they strongly “advised” not to? Honestly have no idea) but it’s something. They might still shit the bed but still think they’ll try to do anything they can before shutting down the city Milan style. 

They are trying to reduce the social interaction or whatever as much as possible.  Every little bit helps.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Yes, it isn't the flu apparently its technically a disease with a virus name thanks WHO

Yet only a few people know what the fuck is going on.  My issue is the panic is more costly at this point to more people than the disease itself and so that is more my concern than fucking Covid -19.  

no, lots of people know what is going on you just are in a bubble and only seeing what you choose to see. 

i'm done and am putting you on block.

you personally are a waste of everyone's time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AISD making decisions. Gotta applaud this one. Friend's daughter was supposed to go from our district to NY. Kid convinced (guilted) mom into saying no problem. District I live in is not one to make a decision like this. 

The health of our students, staff and families is one of our top priorities, and we want to keep everyone updated on what we’re doing as a district to mitigate the risk of the coronavirus (COVID-19). 

AISD is suspending all district-sponsored domestic travel to states where there is community-wide spread of the virus and where the local government has declared a state of public health emergency. Reported states, at this time, include California, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Oregon, Washington and Utah.

https://www.austinisd.org/student-health/coronavirus

14 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Hey slappy, Italy isn't panicking because they don't know what's going to happen. They're panicking because people are dying, doctors are crying uncle and telling the world to watch their butthole, and they have no other choice. 

I'm not saying what happens to Italy happens here, there are a lot of unknowns in that equation. But IF it does, then the panic over the unknown of some fucking toilet paper isn't going to be the problem, the world will have moved onto other, more prescient reasons to panic. In 10-14 days, everyone will be mocking the doomsday people for being dipshits, or the entire nation will be freaked the fucked out by something that is no longer unknown, but real. Either one of those scenarios makes you rubbing your pussy about panic now idiotic. Get back to me when places other than Ohio are rioting or storming hospitals with guns for treatment, because THAT is Panic that is dangerous. 

And by the way, if "panic" leads to people self-isolating, and self-quarantining, then panic isn't costly, it's life-saving. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Real talk, as much as a knucklehead that he can be with his guest scheduling sometimes, the most recent Joe Rogan podcast is excellent. His guest is Michael Osterholm, an expert in infectious disease epidemiology and speaks from a position of decades of expertise and study of the subject.

@RollLeft if you want to get more informed, its an excellent source of factual information and has some applicable prevention advice towards the end (I'm still listening to it so idk how applicable it'll be)

• Like 1

My daughter is on the high school dance team. The entire team and some parents, 50+ people, have long standing plans to go on a trip to New York City this weekend.

As of right now, the school and/or dance teacher has not cancelled the trip.

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked up is that?

They could bring coronavirus back to our city.

I note that if some go, and some don’t, they’ll all be together in close quarters next week anyway.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hey slappy, Italy isn't panicking because they don't know what's going to happen. They're panicking because people are dying, doctors are crying uncle and telling the world to watch their butthole, and they have no other choice.

And Italy was doing more to stop it at 50 confirmed cases than we are doing at 1,000.

2 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

My daughter is on the high school dance team. The entire team and some parents, 50+ people, have long standing plans to go on a trip to New York City this weekend.

Surly experts will ask for pics before making a judgment.   

I’m not an expert, but AISD would have canceled that trip, so your district will probably follow suit.  

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Surly experts will ask for pics before making a judgment.   

I’m not an expert, but AISD would have canceled that trip, so your district will probably follow suit.  

See my post above. AISD has cancelled all trips. Like I told my college son, you can have spring break next year. Go clean your damn bong. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away