Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yet you compare it to the flu, which is okay if it is done to put things in context.  The expert in the Joe Rogan video did just that to draw upon similarities (means of contracting) and differences (many, all of which lead to higher rates of infection due to no vaccine and a CFR 10-15 times worse).  It's absolutely wrong to say it's just another variation of the flu, but comparing and contrasting can help people put it in context.

But, there's a good possibility that  I have too high of a level of trust in people to not misinterpret things.

My issue is when people say "well, it's killed fewer people than the flu" and "it's no worse than the flu" or "why are we worried about this when the flu kills X / year or month"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Just make sure they are vintage prime Faye pics and not the current version.

As for those going to the gym, what kind of stockpile do you think they have regarding wipes/sanitizer?  I'd guess about 7-10 days worth.  And they arent getting anymore anytime soon.

The HEB in Kingwood (definitely sort of Trump Country) has been out of hand soap, sanitizer, bleach and TP since last Friday.  Hell, all the boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese was gone yesterday.  One of the  Macanudo-ettes asked if we should stock up on tampons.  Well,  I know have way more tampons at Casa Macanudo than I ever thought I would need. 

The panic will be real.  And it will be televised.

I like you Mac, so I'm really trying to understand why you felt the need to insert this commentary, when numerous people including the mods are begging posters to keep political bullshit confined to the CR?

And I also don't understand the actual message you're attempting to convey.  From what I've been reading on this thread, avid supporters of the current POTUS are not taking this outbreak as seriously as many believe they should, so if that's true, why are they panic-buying anything at all?  Or are you suggesting something else?

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

Rumor via a text just now that Turner is going to issue some emergency declaration today about a 7 day self quarantine or something city wide.  Not from the most reliable source and nothing online but if so, whoa. 

And I would say "Way to go Houston."   I realize that 7 days doesnt completely eliminate worst case scenario but it's something proactive.

Just makes me worry about what we dont know about Houston area infections.

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's like saying "Amazon delivery in 2010 was shitty". Most people currently enrolled in "online degrees" are not going to have a higher success rate if they are in a traditional school. But a paradigm shift would change that. 

No this isn’t true.

Online success rates have always been terrible. It has nothing to do with a paradigm shift and everything to do with what students “believe” online class are and what online classes actually are.  I can’t tell you how many profs have taken semesters or years to develop the most “perfect” online class when it comes to content and engagement and the numbers are still the same—not good.

The research and data is really consistent year after year—online has the lowest success rate and face to face had the highest. 

I started asking students who weren’t successful in my online classes why they were, and I noticed a trend: most of them take online so they can work 30+ hrs a week because they need money to survive. 

I could talk about this for days so I’m not trying to derail this thread from what we should be talking about 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Rumor via a text just now that Turner is going to issue some emergency declaration today about a 7 day self quarantine or something city wide.  Not from the most reliable source and nothing online but if so, whoa. 

And I would say "Way to go Houston."   I realize that 7 days doesnt completely eliminate worst case scenario but it's something proactive.

He posted this. 

And followed with this. 

at this time doesn’t look like self quarantine. They are not done with announcement though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That is not what he said at all. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Loco said:

just like h1n1  which was always the Mexican Flu...  also who gives a fuck?

Because I’m in the Dwight Schrute camp of tracking down the people that got you sick, informing them, and taking overwhelming revenge upon them. 

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Look yall, it's not a ridiculous thing. If the WHO's evaluation of CV-19 as a pandemic is so important, why should we not follow best practices when the thread title was arbitrarily changed already? It's not like I'm trying to make some political point - this is a genuine health crisis and it's more descriptive and accurate to call it just CV-19/coronavirus

LOL, 90% of your posts are trying to make some angry political point.

I gonna call it China Flu, Wuhan Flu, Kung Flu, the Wuhan Wheeze, Chinabetes, and ChiLupus.

Might even change my avatar to Chief Wuhan

532790177_360x203.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap
No offense to the Orientations
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

CDC Update (updates at noon M-F): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing-in-us.html

Updates:

• on our 4th day in a row of 0 CDC tests
  • they have taken the "total" column off the bottom of the sheet for both CDC and US Public Health Labs lol
  • CDC total tested: 3791
  • US Public Health Labs tested: 7287
  • Total: 11078
  • Tested yesterday: 8. 

Graph on testing is pretty hilarious: 

lab-data-graph.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

CDC Update (updates at noon M-F): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing-in-us.html

Updates:

• on our 4th day in a row of 0 CDC tests
  • they have taken the "total" column off the bottom of the sheet for both CDC and US Public Health Labs lol
  • CDC total tested: 3791
  • US Public Health Labs tested: 7287
  • Total: 11078
  • Tested yesterday: 8. 

Graph on testing is pretty hilarious: 

lab-data-graph.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

college professor for 8 years here.  I'll chime in for a bit

First off, taking online classes doesn't equal cheaper tuition. With that said, this is not a good thing for colleges and universities for many reasons. I'll try to outline a few below:

- Online success rates are terrible.  It's bad because students don't know how to take online classes.  There are also students who take face-to-face classes specifically because they aren't successful with online, they can't do online, or their learning style doesn't match with online learning. 

- You can't just make a face-to-face class an online class halfway into the semester.   That's just not how it works, especially if you didn't prep back in December for a spring semester online class.  Also of note--yes, there are professors who never teach online because they themselves are BAD at it.  I'm already getting emails from colleagues about what sites to use for online learning besides our LMS, and our college hasn't even announced anything--yet.

- Shutting down a college/university means there will be percentages of students who have no places to sleep, no food to eat, and no ability to do the work for the class the administrators just made the professor put online because they have either poor internet, no internet access (besides the university), or no device other than their phone.  And with their phone, they rely on WiFi.

So yeah, it's been an interesting week on Academic Twitter as people all over the country are giving ideas and suggestions because throwing an entire university into online learning for a few weeks/months isn't as easy as 6-7 figure admniistrators believe it is. 

43 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I follow your post and position from the other side.

Since you've already noted the student and faculty issues I'll take about the tech.

I work closely with many very large Universities in the US on the IT/AV side of the situation.

Many and perhaps most large Universities simply don't have the technology to run distance or remote learning effectively for all classes. That is to say it's not even close. To say nothing of a professors inability to run and process a technology from home today that they are unfamiliar with to start. 

Even some Universities that promote online or distance learning struggle with the engagement due to technical issues as well as student and faculty struggles with the format.

The idea isn't new, and it has been very successful in some instances. However, even the idea of a sudden successful, overnight, issue free shift to online/remote learning at Universities for ALL classes is frankly laughable.

I teach at a university and despite an email or two on the subject, I don't think there is really a way to get it done and I have no idea how I would make a quick shift to teach my class online. 

Just now, 4th and 5 said:

I teach at a university and despite an email or two on the subject, I don't think there is really a way to get it done and I have no idea how I would make a quick shift to teach my class online. 

Zoom meeting.  Everybody dials in, you present your Powerpoint.  Done.

1 minute ago, 4th and 5 said:

It does seem difficult to teach Buttplug Sculpting remotely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I've had the sniffles pretty consistently for about a week. I'm starting to think it's the C virus.

I think early estimates of R0 were significantly lower than actual.

seasonal allergies.  i've had a runny nose for weeks.   and that also means your immune system is running.

I'll be really surprised it UT doesn't make an announcement in the next few days. In the span of 2 days, they have purchased a brand new license covering the entire campus for remote meeting software, they are beginning to schedule large train the trainer meetings for IT staff, with the line, expect "faculty training sessions to be scheduled in the very near future" for how to conduct remote work. Things don't work this quickly, like ever. 

3 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

It's hilariously easy. It would probably take you a total of 5 minutes to learn. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My understanding is that runny nose is actually not a symptom. You’re in the clear. 

thank you for the corroboration.  the redditors are saying it's actually a positive sign - if your nose is runny from allergies, you *may* not have the cv because it shuts down your mucus production - a dry sinus is easier to attack - or something to that effect.

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

This German expert offers another way to try to calculate real time number as a starting point for where we could end up based on date strict mass social isolation starts:

translated:

"Politicians and health authorities are stressing these days that the # coronavirus infection numbers are "snapshots". This is wrong: the numbers reflect the status about 9 days ago (5 d incubation period + test + notification), with no undisclosed figure. # Corona Holidays"

So my equation on the previous page is probably wrong, i.e. China had fewer doubles and a higher actual starting case rate before leveling occurred post-mass quaratine.

No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away