Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I teach at a university and despite an email or two on the subject, I don't think there is really a way to get it done and I have no idea how I would make a quick shift to teach my class online. 

Other than Zoom or WebEx, there aren’t options. The problem is you can’t assume every student has access to get on those connections. 

I have a few contingency plans ready to go once we get the word, but I’ll probably even deviate from those plans. 

Edited by Pancho

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

thank you for the corroboration.  the redditors are saying it's actually a positive sign - if your nose is runny from allergies, you *may* not have the cv because it shuts down your mucus production - a dry sinus is easier to attack - or something to that effect.

I found this posted somewhere. I think it was Reddit. 

04-C046-FB-D3-EB-4703-9-D4-C-F1-C05-D971

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Fucking India doing a better job than the US.  Sad.

Not to mention Japan, South Korea, Singapore.....

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Good friend was getting married in India in 10 days. They've been planning it for like 10 months.

Finance is a tad distraught

Freudian autocorrect.

• Like 2

AND the administration is going to welch on the staetments from monday - no broad package - no big package at all

WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH did the OM roll this idea during the daily czar late monday?

combined with pulling the healthcare SMEs from the hearing, it would seem to me the banksters have decided to let this thing play out, fuck the people.

may god help us all.

I like you Mac, so I'm really trying to understand why you felt the need to insert this commentary, when numerous people including the mods are begging posters to keep political bullshit confined to the CR?
And I also don't understand the actual message you're attempting to convey.  From what I've been reading on this thread, avid supporters of the current POTUS are not taking this outbreak as seriously as many believe they should, so if that's true, why are they panic-buying anything at all?  Or are you suggesting something else?

Jesus, you answered your own question.

Obviously BANNED WORDS/NAME has publicly downplayed the significance of the virus and has even called it a hoax. Thats bad because it's dangerous.

It's worth noting that an area where the majority of the population supports BANNED WORDS/NAME may be at least considering taking it seriously. That's a good thing.

Stop whining.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Other than Zoom or WebEx, there aren’t options. The problem is you can’t assume every student has access to get on those connections. 

I have a few contingency plans ready to go once we get the word, but I’ll probably even deviate from those plans. 

Your students don't have internet access? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I am in Northern Italy.

I gathered this from prior posts and I’m curious. Did you wind up trapped for some reason? Is it where you live? Just not that worried?

Also, I saw what you wrote about things heading to just takeaway at the restaurants, but what is really like right now? A ghost town? Pandemonium? Something in the middle near normal?

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Jesus, you answered your own question.

Obviously BANNED WORDS/NAME has publicly downplayed the significance of the virus and has even called it a hoax. Thats bad because it's dangerous.

It's worth noting that an area where the majority of the population supports BANNED WORDS/NAME may be at least considering taking it seriously. That's a good thing.

Stop whining.

I asked a simple question.

Also, go fuck yourself.

Thanks for your support.

39 minutes ago, NoName said:

My issue is when people say "well, it's killed fewer people than the flu" and "it's no worse than the flu" or "why are we worried about this when the flu kills X / year or month"

I picked a helluva time to get the flu.  Hopefully, I'll be better in time to fight of COVID19.

3 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Your students don't have internet access? 

Do you know who the average community college student in America is these days? 

just rough estimate but probably 40% of our students don’t have reliable internet connection. That’s why some students (2 year and 4 year) only do school work on campus.

• Like 1

I think most of us that have followed this since January knew this period of mass cancellations was coming.  I'm actually impressed with how quickly it has spread once it started.  We're still way behind and we should have been much more proactive but it's at least a sign of encouragement. 

• Like 4

Just now, Post Oak said:

About to order a bidet from Amazon. Not lying

Why'd you wait so long? What's wrong with you people? The shag embraced bidets. They're cheap, socially acceptable, and let you laugh at the run on TP. Your butthole will thank you.

• Like 1

Our school district is on Spring Break and wife took the kids out of town for a few days to visit relatives. I work from home and live in the hill country with a lot of space between my nearest neighbor. So, I've pretty much been in quarantine for the past few days.

Last night the kids get home and my daughter greets me by coughing and sneezing in my face. I felt some spittle hit my eyeball. Later my teenage son walks into my room and proceeds to rub his face before asking me for money. He starts to explain he spent all his money at Fiesta Texas earlier in the day... Now he wants to go to N. Padre.

I need to ban my family from my house.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

@immamac Genuine question for you - WHO Guidelines say specifically NOT to call it "Chinese" or "Wuhan" virus since it can lead to people mistakenly thinking it's spread by only chinese people (see: chinese restaurants losing business, corona beer, etc). With that in mind would you be against changing  the respective thread titles on this to COVID-19?

3s6x7x.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Do you know who the average community college student in America is these days? 

just rough estimate but probably 40% of our students don’t have reliable internet connection. That’s why some students (2 year and 4 year) only do school work on campus.

Not to mention, even those with Internet access, on day 1, at least 20% of students won't be able to make Zoom or Webex or whatever work.  And at least 20% of the instructors also won't be able to make Zoom or Webex or whatever work.

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Still not a symptom

Youre referring to a reddit thread, right? This one? The one that got deleted? https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses 

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away