Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Ohio to tighten restrictions:

We are doing the things we are doing because we have the potential to become like Italy. We are taking the actions we are taking now to try to avoid that. The situation will get bad before it gets better, but it is in our hands to determine what the outcome will be.

I thank those who have already chosen to limit large events in response to yesterday's recommendation. For the others, there will be an order.

At a minimum, what we said yesterday about mass gatherings will become an order. #COVID19

My sister (no pics) is a college instructor. They went all online late yesterday and she says it'll be a cluster. Lotsa students don't have computers, teachers aren't trained on the software or online teaching best practices. And you don't learn as much taking an online class. Better in real life.

She's a former nurse and says all these school closings are dumb. Young people don't get CV. Her opinion not mine.

32 minutes ago, B00M said:

Why'd you wait so long? What's wrong with you people? The shag embraced bidets. They're cheap, socially acceptable, and let you laugh at the run on TP. Your butthole will thank you.

Damned heathens.  Embrace The Three Seashells.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

My sister (no pics) is a college instructor. They went all online late yesterday and she says it'll be a cluster. Lotsa students don't have computers, teachers aren't trained on the software or online teaching best practices. And you don't learn as much taking an online class. Better in real life.

She's a former nurse and says all these school closings are dumb. Young people don't get CV. Her opinion not mine.

Again, people who have no clue spreading misinformation. The kids carry the fucking virus, they just don't by and large (though not 100%) develop the illness, especially severe cases. But morons will hear her and others like her say that shit and think HEY SHE'S A NURSE and that she knows shit from dick. Yes, this random nurse knows more than 95+% of all epidemiologists, virologists, the WHO, the CDC, Dr. Fauci, all the national and local governments who are making decisions.

Not directed at you Parliament, just annoyed how many unnecessary deaths the stupid and uninformed will cause.

• Like 8

All of this caused by Chinese wet markets selling wild animals that no other humans on this planet eat. They should be shamed and sanctions placed by the rest of the world so that they police and actively prohibit such markets from existing. 

• Like 1

Just now, MirrOlure said:

Call me what you want....but I'll take the Under on that.

I would take the under on confirmed cases, because of how many asymptomatic/mild cases there will be, especially once hospitals are ransacked. But if you look at the data, the only reason to think that many people won't contract it is "just because I want it to be true."

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

All of this caused by Chinese wet markets selling wild animals that no other humans on this planet eat. They should be shamed and sanctions placed by the rest of the world so that they police and actively prohibit such markets from existing. 

they outlawed wet markets last week

What are Italy’s graphs looking like? Any plateau shaping? Hopefully a complete shutdown looks like it does something.

This thing has infected .00001of it’s total population.

If there is plateauing, you probably wouldn’t see it for at least a few more days. People were likely exposed before the quarantine and won’t exhibit symptoms for a few days. Same goes for deaths, but about a 2 week lag.

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they outlawed wet markets last week

About frigging time. Next they actually need to enforce said bans. They already banned some of these practices after SARS but obviously its not enough. What the Chinese really eat is so far from the Americanized Chinese food I love.

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Get ready for August delivery, probably.    My plan B is a pair of scissors and the decorative fabric shower curtain hanging next to the toilet.  Should last a few weeks.

This pandemic might be just the ticket to finally getting my wife to get rid of some of her clothes that take up 95% of our walk in closet. Her need to use an ungodly amount of toilet paper might actually be lower on her Maslow hierarchy than her need to hoard clothes.

Edited by BradInATX

32 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

About to order a bidet from Amazon. Not lying

Same.  I bought toilet paper on Saturday because I thought we were out (we weren't).  But when I looked on Amazon today and they basically were out, I figured it was worth pulling the trigger (plus, I've wanted one for a while).  Nothing like a squeaky clean arse.

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

About frigging time. Next they actually need to enforce said bans. They already banned some of these practices after SARS but obviously its not enough. What the Chinese really eat is so far from the Americanized Chinese food I love.

That's because they don't have Mexicans cooking it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Do you know who the average community college student in America is these days? 

just rough estimate but probably 40% of our students don’t have reliable internet connection. That’s why some students (2 year and 4 year) only do school work on campus.

No. I had no idea. That's wild. 

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I can see why she’s a former nurse.

And like most failures, now she teaches!

(Lots of great teachers out there, but it's undeniable there are dumbfucks that fall into teaching when they're out of options)

This playing out in the age of the internet is amazing to watch. There is almost real time data that can help inform decisions but for some reason it is a political issue to a large group of people. If even 1/2 of the people are infected that the Senate doctor guessed, you are looking at what? One million deaths? What a time to (briefly) be alive.

This pandemic might be just the ticket to finally getting my wife to get rid of some of her clothes that take up 95% of our walk in closet. Her need to use an ungodly amount of toilet paper might actually be lower on her Maslow hierarchy than her need to hoard clothes.

Now this is just foolishly wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

I teach at a university and despite an email or two on the subject, I don't think there is really a way to get it done and I have no idea how I would make a quick shift to teach my class online. 

Other than zoom, webex, goto, and a dozen other SaaS products designed for the express purpose of distance presentation, learning,  and assessment, I have no idea either. 

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away