Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

University of Pennsylvania extended spring break by a week and is directing students who are away from campus to not come back as well as forcing students on campus to leave by this Sunday. They will be instituting virtual instruction after the extended spring break. Parents and students should get a fucking refund of some of the $37,500 they are getting charged for this semester for having their Ivy League education reduced to fucking University of Phoenix level instruction

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Every event of any significance after this weekend will be cancelled and almost every event this weekend will be cancelled.

My country club just cancelled its annual spring break party and the local school district just cancelled the annual pancake breakfast fundraiser and there are zero confirmed cases in my city.

All school nationwide will be cancelled within two weeks and all workplaces that don't require in-person attendance to function will be cleared out by April.

The decision makers finally understand that they are in the kill zone demo and are starting to cover their asses.

12 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I hope people start telecommunicating to church. They're constantly shaking hands with everyone.

It's fucking ridiculous that Italy banned church services and any church in this country that does not hold services should be ashamed of themselves. At a time of need like this, leaning on faith and being able to receive the sacrament of communion is essential. There was a good op-ed about this yesterday in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/opinion/coronavirus-church-religion.html

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Ivy League cancelled all spring sports.  You know all those sports that are played outside by athletes in top physical shape, with just a few fans in attendance.  Ya, those sports got cancelled.

Seniors got royally screwed.

I suspect the NCAA in a few days will either cancel all spring sports or ban all fans from attending.  So get ready for Texas baseball games to be closed to fans.

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

DMN: Dallas cancels weekend’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade because of coronavirus

full text below:

Reveal hidden contents

Dallas’ St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival on Greenville Avenue in East Dallas scheduled for Saturday has been canceled to avoid the further spread of coronavirus, city officials announced Wednesday.

City officials made the public announcement about the cancellation shortly after they discussed the parade Wednesday. The long-standing parade was expected to draw more than 125,000 people, according to the parade’s organizers, and one resident began a petition on Change.org for the city to cancel the event. More than 250 people had signed the petition as of early Wednesday afternoon.

Mayor Eric Johnson said cancelling the event was the responsible decision made after consultation with county and state officials. City officials revoked special event permits for the parade and block party.

“Canceling the St. Patrick’s Day parade and block party was not an easy decision, but it is the correct and responsible decision,” Johnson said.

The parade, which would have been held for the 41st consecutive year, occupies 2 miles of Greenville Avenue from Blackwell Street to SMU Boulevard and 75 Central Expressway. The nonprofit Greenville Avenue Area Business Association organizes the parade, which had more than 90 parade float entries this year.

On Tuesday, Dallas officials announced that a 77-year-old man from out of state and a local person in close contact with him were the first two “presumptive positive” cases of coronavirus. A Tarrant County man who heads a Fort Worth church and a family of three in Frisco also have tested positive for the virus.

Chris Kelley, a spokesman for the parade’s sponsors, said had been in discussions with the city after news of the confirmed cases. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a list of recommendations to avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, including guidance on mass gatherings.

The city’s Office of Special Events can choose whether to approve permits for events. The office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday. Earlier this week before the cases in Dallas, the city said special events would proceed as scheduled.

Rocky Vaz, the city’s director of emergency management, said in an interview Monday that officials would take direction from the county — which is Dallas’ public health authority — to make recommendations on mass gatherings and decide whether to shut down public buildings. City officials haven’t shared whether there has been any criteria established to make those decisions.

In 1918, the Spanish flu that killed thousands of soldiers in the U.S. also spread rapidly after a parade drew thousands of Dallas residents. A total of 76 cases were reported, twice as many as two days earlier, and killed a 15-year-old boy who had been infected, The Newsreported in 1918.

Was gonna rain anyways

A lot of money is being lost with the cancellations. I'm not arguing that they aren't necessary, but that's the tangible problem.
I get that. My question was more if there are problems being caused by unwarranted hysteria.

Yes, there will be lots of issues, many economic, with this. I'm just not pretending there are preferable alternatives.

How people weigh priority of financial concerns and protecting public health will be interesting to observe as this goes on.

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It's fucking ridiculous that Italy banned church services and any church in this country that does not hold services should be ashamed of themselves. At a time of need like this, leaning on faith and being able to receive the sacrament of communion is essential. There was a good op-ed about this yesterday in the Times:

Are those places immune from spreading germs? If not, shut it down. 

Edited by achooloco

2 minutes ago, MAROON said:

Ivy League cancelled all spring sports.  You know all those sports that are played outside by athletes in top physical shape, with just a few fans in attendance.  Ya, those sports got cancelled.

Seniors got royally screwed.

I suspect the NCAA in a few days will either cancel all spring sports or ban all fans from attending.  So get ready for Texas baseball games to be closed to fans.

They will probably be granted an extra year.  Ivies may not honor it (they already don't let you redshirt, you have 4 to play 4) but they'd be eligible to grad transfer anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It's fucking ridiculous that Italy banned church services. At a time of need like this, leaning on faith and being able to receive the sacrament of communion is essential. There was a good op-ed about this yesterday in the Times:

Yea, send everyone in an outbreak region to a single structure where they will all share the same cup. 

Image result for brilliant gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

San Antonio needs to backpedal on these events, which are still a go:

Tejano Music Awards festival 

Poteet Strawberry festival 

Fiesta and all events

Spurs games

That's a shitload of peeps.

The annual Craft Brewer's Conference (CBC), scheduled for mid april, will almost certainly will be canceled. This is the trade conference that they also hold the World Beer Cup (once every two years -- this was a World Cup year). That was a huge get for SA and I had passes. 😢 

Edited by Bottlecap

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Yea, send everyone in an outbreak region to a single structure where they will all share the same cup. 

Image result for brilliant gif

If you're dumb enough to go to church right now, you deserve it.  Time to cull the herd. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

UTSA going to all online classes the rest of the semester. Also extending spring break a week.

an UTSA update:

When classes resume on Monday March 23, 2020, face-to-face classes will no longer meet in person for at least the ensuing three weeks. Faculty will conduct classes, assignments, tests, quizzes and any other classroom activities for students virtually, using online technologies and other remote strategies suitable to the learning objectives of the course. 

Because of the extension of spring break, the academic calendar has been extended by three additional days.  The final day of classes will now be May 8, 2020.

In turn, the exam schedule will be compressed to 5 days. Final exams will start May 11, 2020 and end May 15, 2020. As of right now, commencement will be May 16 and 17 as planned.

Source: http://www.utsa.edu/emails/VPAA/2020/2020-0310-virtual-instruction-staff.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=VPAA&utm_action=open&utm_campaign=VPAA+20200311&utm_content=header&utm_term=Coronavirus+Update+–+Changes+to+academic+schedule+and+instruction

Is this a joke?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

People detoxing off alcohol in the ICU's for Covid would clearly be a major disadvantage.   You want normal blood pressure as much as possible and as decreased mental distress as you can achieve.  Even mild detox is no bueno. And if you're tubed, they may never even know which would really suck.

Welp,

In only 5 days, I feel better, wake up easier, have more energy during the day, sleep better, sleep without having to get up in the middle of the night to piss, don't need Nexium (although i am stocked/hoarding for the end times) and i just saved $ skipping my bi-monthly stock-up on the amazing MoonX Cab at Trader Joes (only $6).

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Parents and students should get a fucking refund of some of the $37,500 they are getting charged for this semester for having their Ivy League education reduced to fucking University of Phoenix level instruction

Virtual classrooms have come a long way over the past decade.  Not much drop in fidelity, and whatever drop there is seems like a small price to pay in this situation. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They will probably be granted an extra year.  Ivies may not honor it (they already don't let you redshirt, you have 4 to play 4) but they'd be eligible to grad transfer anywhere.

Ya, but most Ivy seniors probably already have a job lined up, so they can't do a fifth year.  Also IF they get a fifth year (I've read the Ivy League is petitioning the NCAA to allow it), the family will still be out of pocket for another $100k of tuition since Ivy doesn't do athletic scholarships.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I used the doubling grains of rice per chess board square story to illustrate exponential math. 

I know it's basic math, and everyone knows how exponential growth occurs, but it's very relevant to this situation.

Many (not necessarily in this thread) are still in the "1,000 cases in the US?!?" and "just 120,000 in the whole world?!?"  and "the flu infects like 50 million" mentality.

As most already know the numbers are already much higher than the confirmed cases, and have the potential to become tens of millions or greater very quickly from this point forward.

Edited by Somnio

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Essential? Essential to fucking dying, maybe. I realize whom I am addressing here, but this is a fucking Futureman level troll post or you're one of the dumbest motherfuckers this side of RollLeft. You know, to many people, music is their religion. It helps depressed people grasp onto things in an unhappy life. Other people are obsessed with sporting events. You know, for their sake we should actually not cancel the rodeo, or sporting events, or any other important gatherings because they matter so much to many. Fuck it, young people are less at risk, they should be able to live their lives and go to shows, fuck everyone else they could infect, right?

Do you think it's suspended because they're fucking petri dishes for things like a fucking virus? Shaking hands, sharing a communal wine cup. It's a cruise ship for the faithful. 

God can still hear you pray from home, dumbfuck. 

Christians around the world withstood torture and death to celebrate mass. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPREAD FROM THE COMMUNION CUP. I have cited the peer reviewed research in an earlier and I will do it again:

Bishop Doyle from the Diocese of Texas has banned the practice of intincting the host (which is less sanitary than drinking from the communion cup because people's fingers sometimes end up touching the wine) for the time being and has ordered holy water stoups to be drained. Still there has never been a documented case of an infectious disease being transmitted from the communion cup. Every Episcopal church I have been to take the appropriate safeguards--that is, wiping the interior and exterior rim between communicants, use of care to rotate the cloth during use, and use of a clean cloth for each service - to diminish this risk

• Letter to the Editor from CDC Scientists,
    "Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission from a Common Communion Cup"
    American Journal of Infection Control (Vol. 26, pgs. 538-539). 
    • Key quotes: "no documented transmission of any infectious disease has ever been traced to the use of a common communion cup" and "the risk for infectious disease transmission by a common communion cup is very low"
  • Peer-Reviewed Article,
    "The hazard of infection from the shared communion cup"
    Journal of Infection (1988) (Vol 16, pgs. 3-23).
    • Key quote: "No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported. Currently available data do not provide any support for suggesting that the practice of sharing a common communion cup should be abandoned because it might spread infection."

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

giphy.webp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Pros like you and all the liberal surly posters that know it all? lol ok. This is another form of the flu but yea ok freak out and stay at home.

Ladies and gentleman, this is how a good portion of this country sees COVID.  LOL

• Like 2

Really, and i'm the moron?
No shit it's gonna get worse.
Please for the love of God explain how that shit will work?  
That's the kind of great, substantive reply that deserves a well thought explanation.

I'm not claiming to have the answer on how to set up the infrastructure to support extended isolation if that's actually the best answer for preserving as much life as possible.

I'm simply saying we should find the best plan to stop the spread and preserve life, and then put all resources against how to make that happen. Any other decision is consciously choosing to prioritize comfort, stability, finances/the economy, etc over life which just isn't how I would approach the problem.

Clearly you disagree, so carry on bitching now and I'll step out.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

San Antonio needs to backpedal on these events, which are still a go:

Tejano Music Awards festival 

Poteet Strawberry festival 

Fiesta and all events

Spurs games

That's a shitload of peeps.

UIL boys basketball tournament

Dallas St. Paddy’s parade canceled  was planning on going this year.  some friends are coming up from Austin tomorrow. We have an Airbnb in the Greenville area. Thinking about still going and seeing if people are out and about still partying on Saturday  

edit: didn’t go back and look to see if it’s posted. 

Edited by SubliminalHorn

5 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

All the canned beans were gone at my local Kroger around 11am this morning.

I bought $150 worth of additional canned soups and chili’s this morning. A meat run tonight and I’ll be good for a couple months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Christians around the world withstood torture and death to celebrate mass. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPREAD FROM THE COMMUNION CUP. I have cited the peer reviewed research in an earlier and I will do it again:

Bishop Doyle from the Diocese of Texas has banned the practice of intincting the host (which is less sanitary than drinking from the communion cup because people's fingers sometimes end up touching the wine) for the time being and has ordered holy water stoups to be drained. Still there has never been a documented case of an infectious disease being transmitted from the communion cup. Every Episcopal church I have been to take the appropriate safeguards--that is, wiping the interior and exterior rim between communicants, use of care to rotate the cloth during use, and use of a clean cloth for each service - to diminish this risk

• Letter to the Editor from CDC Scientists,
    "Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission from a Common Communion Cup"
    American Journal of Infection Control (Vol. 26, pgs. 538-539). 
    • Key quotes: "no documented transmission of any infectious disease has ever been traced to the use of a common communion cup" and "the risk for infectious disease transmission by a common communion cup is very low"
  • Peer-Reviewed Article,
    "The hazard of infection from the shared communion cup"
    Journal of Infection (1988) (Vol 16, pgs. 3-23).
    • Key quote: "No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported. Currently available data do not provide any support for suggesting that the practice of sharing a common communion cup should be abandoned because it might spread infection."

I hope you go to mass 5 times a day for the next month. 

You know, there just aren't that many positive coronavirus tests total in the US versus the population. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that we aren't testing anyone, people just aren't sick, am I right? Just like I'm sure there's been extensive studies to test if the flu has ever been transferred at chruch, because no one fucking cares. But your stating your point basically because no one has gotten Ebola from a communion cup. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes, the virus is going to be stopped by faith, shitty pieces of bread, and everyone drinking out of the same glass of wine. 

Jesus fuck you’re an idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hope you go to mass 5 times a day for the next month. 

You know, there just aren't that many positive coronavirus tests total in the US versus the population. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that we aren't testing anyone, people just aren't sick, am I right? Just like I'm sure there's been extensive studies to test if the flu has ever been transferred at chruch, because no one fucking cares. But your stating your point basically because no one has gotten Ebola from a communion cup. 

Again, the Diocese of Texas has taken steps to limit infection by removing holy water from founts which can be a source of infection. I dip my fingers when it is available and cross myself with the water when I go to mass. That action and avoiding touching your face are reasonable precautions to take. Same as banning intincting. Drinking from the common cup does not have the same risks.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away