Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Paper_jam said:

Went to lunch today (indian buffet) and a lady customer there was just sneezing and coughing up a storm. How long do I have?

5 days until coronavirus symptoms show, but only about another 20 minutes until the projectile curry shits.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So apparently Zinc does not help by itself because it's a positive Ion and has no way of breaching the cell membrane. However, there is a malaria drug called Chloroquine that allows the zinco to enter the cell membrane and shut down the replcase protein that is replicating the virus in your cells. 

well if this guy is correct.  I don't know shit

What if you cram an elderberry gummy up your poop chute?  Asking for Icono.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So now the CDC is talking to my mom after being exposed to this fucking lady.  She is self quarantined until further notice.

Good luck to your mom, I hope she survives in spite of our worst efforts.

30 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I am sorry you lack faith and don't understand those of us that do. Christians have willingly suffered through torture and death to celebrate mass. Those of us like me who want to worship communally should not be prohibited from doing so.

No one is stopping you from getting together with others that want to worship the almighty sky fairy. 

42 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Christians around the world withstood torture and death to celebrate mass. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPREAD FROM THE COMMUNION CUP. I have cited the peer reviewed research in an earlier and I will do it again:

Bishop Doyle from the Diocese of Texas has banned the practice of intincting the host (which is less sanitary than drinking from the communion cup because people's fingers sometimes end up touching the wine) for the time being and has ordered holy water stoups to be drained. Still there has never been a documented case of an infectious disease being transmitted from the communion cup. Every Episcopal church I have been to take the appropriate safeguards--that is, wiping the interior and exterior rim between communicants, use of care to rotate the cloth during use, and use of a clean cloth for each service - to diminish this risk

• Letter to the Editor from CDC Scientists,
    "Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission from a Common Communion Cup"
    American Journal of Infection Control (Vol. 26, pgs. 538-539). 
    • Key quotes: "no documented transmission of any infectious disease has ever been traced to the use of a common communion cup" and "the risk for infectious disease transmission by a common communion cup is very low"
  • Peer-Reviewed Article,
    "The hazard of infection from the shared communion cup"
    Journal of Infection (1988) (Vol 16, pgs. 3-23).
    • Key quote: "No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported. Currently available data do not provide any support for suggesting that the practice of sharing a common communion cup should be abandoned because it might spread infection."

I was a eucharistic minister for many years. I'm under no illusion that my little "wipe the cloth across the edge of the chalice" was in any way effective at sterilization. No soap, no bleach, just a feel good little shaking and stirring the bugs around like a mixed drink in a cocktail shaker

It's fucking ridiculous that Italy banned church services and any church in this country that does not hold services should be ashamed of themselves. At a time of need like this, leaning on faith and being able to receive the sacrament of communion is essential. There was a good op-ed about this yesterday in the Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/opinion/coronavirus-church-religion.html

Well here’s the worst take of the day on Surly.

Just now, Thetexashammer said:

I was a eucharistic minister for many years. I'm under no illusion that my little "wipe the cloth across the edge of the chalice" was in any way effective at sterilization. No soap, no bleach, just a feel good little shaking and stirring the bugs around like a mixed drink in a cocktail shaker

DID YOU READ THE RESEARCH!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well here’s the worst take of the day on Surly.

Holy fuck that’s stupid. But on-brand.

Also, an update from an old classmate who lives in Italy (Rome area):

We are practically on house arrest. We can only go out to go to the supermarket or pharmacy or work, if our workplaces are still open. As of tomorrow, all bars, restaurants, and retail shops have to close. If we go out we have to say why. This is all mostly an annoyance. I have plenty to do and catch up on in my house. However, being in the study abroad business for mostly summer courses, my work should be now but nothing is moving. That's my real worry.

[/Quote]

So, necessary measures to break the chain of transmission...but still a large inconvenience, and also a financial hit.

Our BEST case scenario on this is that it’s just a huge economic punch.

Actually went to a buffet in these times? Lol gross

I mean going out to lunch especially a buffet is not a great idea, but fucking going out and about to public places with a cough/illness if regard level stuff. Stay the fuck home!

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I am going to Total Wine on the way home and buying a shit ton of booze.

Posted up thread 200mg thc edible is the proven cure.  Don't want to end up like those Iranians

2 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Was just trying to figure out how much beer I'll need if I get stuck in the house with my family for 14 days.....

Depends, Are you throwing full ones at them, or just the empties?

“Hey team, as you know there’s a run on toilet paper, medicine, wipes, and soap.  Getting your system down for even a few days is dangerous because that’s how the virus takes hold.  Best thing to do is stay clean and eat healthy.  Now who wants to go to the endless buffet at Bura Vichaar Jeens?” 

supposedly this is a video from an area of Thailand were the local monkey gangs have been fed by tourists for years. no tourists....monkeys hungry. I imagine this will be what HEBs look like in a few weeks. 

Gonna be a lot of strange consequences as patterns of life are altered drastically everywhere. I imagine rats accustomed to restaurant trash will start to branch out as well in the big cities. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 4

On the evening of Friday Feb 28th, I took my 6 year old to Texas Children’s Urgent Care on Memorial at the Beltway after he had a fever and a nasty cough for 3-4 days that wasn’t getting any better. I go in and the place is full of kids with the same shit. Doctor says there is some nasty non-flu virus going around and that it would probably last another 4-5 days. Didn’t think much of it at the time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

All of a sudden, I’m not feeling so well.  

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Christians around the world withstood torture and death to celebrate mass. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPREAD FROM THE COMMUNION CUP. I have cited the peer reviewed research in an earlier and I will do it again:

Bishop Doyle from the Diocese of Texas has banned the practice of intincting the host (which is less sanitary than drinking from the communion cup because people's fingers sometimes end up touching the wine) for the time being and has ordered holy water stoups to be drained. Still there has never been a documented case of an infectious disease being transmitted from the communion cup. Every Episcopal church I have been to take the appropriate safeguards--that is, wiping the interior and exterior rim between communicants, use of care to rotate the cloth during use, and use of a clean cloth for each service - to diminish this risk

• Letter to the Editor from CDC Scientists,
    "Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission from a Common Communion Cup"
    American Journal of Infection Control (Vol. 26, pgs. 538-539). 
    • Key quotes: "no documented transmission of any infectious disease has ever been traced to the use of a common communion cup" and "the risk for infectious disease transmission by a common communion cup is very low"
  • Peer-Reviewed Article,
    "The hazard of infection from the shared communion cup"
    Journal of Infection (1988) (Vol 16, pgs. 3-23).
    • Key quote: "No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported. Currently available data do not provide any support for suggesting that the practice of sharing a common communion cup should be abandoned because it might spread infection."

While it might not be the cup, getting a bunch of people together and sitting right next to each other isn't a great idea.  Layer on the touching of the same thing by a bunch of people and you have a perfect scenario for spread.  I also don't believe the research.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

You are probably taking 5000 IUs of D3, which is equivalent to 125 micrograms. Also 1000 mg of zinc seems way to high. 50 mg should more than cover it.

Good info on doses  but I haven’t found good evidence on Vit D and immunity and nothing on CBD. Vit C and Zinc seem to show best benefit.

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

supposedly this is a video from an area of Thailand were the local monkey gangs have been fed by tourists for years. no tourists....monkeys hungry. I imagine this will be what HEBs look like in a few weeks. 

Gonna be a lot of strange consequences as patterns of life are altered drastically everywhere. I imagine rats accustomed to restaurant trash will start to branch out as well in the big cities. 

<chinaman>

mmmm, monkey meat is tasty

</chinaman>

11 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

On the evening of Friday Feb 28th, I took my 6 year old to Texas Children’s Urgent Care on Memorial at the Beltway after he had a fever and a nasty cough for 3-4 days that wasn’t getting any better. I go in and the place is full of kids with the same shit. Doctor says there is some nasty non-flu virus going around and that it would probably last another 4-5 days. Didn’t think much of it at the time.

We’ve seen a lot of rhinovirus and adenovirus in Cen Tex so that’s a possibility.

22 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

My daughter also had a fever and dry cough and tested negative for flu. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away