Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It sounds like some districts may do the teleteaching thing.   Would that count towards attendance?

Wife is in education, as are a couple of in-laws.  There is talk that depending on how things go, they might extend spring break (next week) for a week or two, and either setup the remote teaching stuff, or extend the school year into the summer.   

One thing is certain. TEA and governor wheels will fuck this up entirely. As will the district I work for. 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It sounds like some districts may do the teleteaching thing.   Would that count towards attendance?

Wife is in education, as are a couple of in-laws.  There is talk that depending on how things go, they might extend spring break (next week) for a week or two, and either setup the remote teaching stuff, or extend the school year into the summer.   

Only if the state waived that requirement, and also held the districts harmless financially, since attendance and membership weigh into the funding formula on what a school receives.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The state doesn’t have any means of dealing with attendance in its current form. We are about to hit high stakes testing season as well. There are huge ripple effects if there is a delay. 

My call would be to say to stay home and make it up on the back end. If school was delayed for two weeks then the staar test gets pushed back two weeks. Maybe allow districts to shorten their year after testing with the same funding if they want.

Other concern is that students don’t have anywhere to go in lower socioeconomic homes. Those parents tend to work together to watch each other’s kids so they can go to work. But then you have created a new spreading ground for this. There are no easy solutions here.

38 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Ok people conjecturing that you had Covid. You describe a viral syndrome and there are many viruses that can cause your symptoms. It’s doubtful you had Covid three to four weeks ago unless you were in China, Italy or Washington state. And rapid flu tests are notoriously inaccurate so you might have had it anyway. We were getting large amounts of flu positive patients up until 2 weeks ago.

Going forward, it’s a maybe.

This is interesting to hear.  My son was sick a couple of weeks ago.  He was exhausted and had a pretty nasty cough.  He was also running a slight fever.  I took him to the doctor where he tested positive for Flu A.  Whatever he had was passed to me.  I felt exhausted for about a day and  I've had a dry cough ever since (this was a couple of weeks ago).  It would not surprise me at all if we were exposed to it already as my son has a lot of Chinese National kids at his school that went home for Christmas break. 

I wonder why the White House press secretary has chosen now to not hold a formal press conference after a full year.  Everything must be under control.  I feel better having typed that.  No CR, just awesome that there’s no words from the WH Office of Communications. 

50 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Ok.  Shouldn't Abbott declare a state of emergency and close down schools etc. 

It seems like now would be a good time to do it.

This makes too much sense. And Killeen ISD has already said they will not close without checking

with Ft. Hood first. WTF? The same concern for teachers they've always had. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I wonder why the White House press secretary has chosen now to not hold a formal press conference after a full year.  Everything must be under control.  I feel better having typed that.  No CR, just awesome that there’s no words from the WH Office of Communications. 

Apparently Kushner is now advising the President on the pandemic.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

supposedly this is a video from an area of Thailand were the local monkey gangs have been fed by tourists for years. no tourists....monkeys hungry. I imagine this will be what HEBs look like in a few weeks. 

Gonna be worse, WHO officially declared it a Pandamic today.

image.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I had the same thing.  The cough was bad.  Day 3-4 in the evening my lungs started wheezing badly but I recovered quickly after I let the fever run its course.

I had a fever and a very mild dry cough For about a week back in February. Thought it was the flu that I had picked up from my dad the week before, but now I’m wondering. 

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

My AppSt kid just got a week extension on Spring Break.  

Colleges should quickly shift all of their classes to online only this semester. It seems doubtful that this will let up over the next 2-3 weeks. Go online and you can salvage the semester.  

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We could make the choice for them by all pulling our kids out of school. Why wait for an official closure?

Our school district sent out an email yesterday that basically boiled down to parents do what you feel like you've got to do, we will ignore the state's truancy policies.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is interesting to hear.  My son was sick a couple of weeks ago.  He was exhausted and had a pretty nasty cough.  He was also running a slight fever.  I took him to the doctor where he tested positive for Flu A.  Whatever he had was passed to me.  I felt exhausted for about a day and  I've had a dry cough ever since (this was a couple of weeks ago).  It would not surprise me at all if we were exposed to it already as my son has a lot of Chinese National kids at his school that went home for Christmas break. 

Same thing just happened to me.  But since he tested positive for flu A, I'm assuming I have flu A.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Colleges should quickly shift all of their classes to online only this semester. It seems doubtful that this will let up over the next 2-3 weeks. Go online and you can salvage the semester.  

First notice earlier today was professors can finish the semester out online. I told the kid you're getting an extended Spring Break by Friday, someone screwed up let that out. 6 hours later it was called.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Just now, dcbc said:

Can someone summarize the speech?  Not to c/r it, but I haven't the inclination to listen to him. 

Europe fucked us by not shutting down travel from China after the outbreak. Now we're suspending travel to Europe. Except the UK. Don't visit nursing homes unless it's a medically necessary visit. Low interest SBA loans available to small businesses. 

• Like 1

My federal agency employer went to full time telework today...billed under a "liberal telework policy" but we were encouraged to telework unless coming into the office is absolutely necessary. Im guessing mandatory is coming soon. What's scary is where does this end. This isn't going away anytime soon. Even shutting everything down.

Tom Hanks FB page.

“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now,  we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.

Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires.  Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?“

We’ll keep the world posted and updated.

Take care of yourselves! 

Hanx!

• Like 1

His plan is to pump liquidity into the market. That's how we address a fucking pandemic. Not with information, not with testing, not with facts. But with a fucking tax cut. 

The president spiked the football on Europe as if we aren't just a few days behind where they are in terms of infectious spread. 

Tom Hanks FB page.
“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now,  we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.
Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires.  Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?“
Take care of yourselves! 
Hanx!

Dude what

6 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Tom Hanks FB page.

Take care of yourselves! 

Hanx!

That’s crazy 

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Honestly a pretty solid speech.   I didn't think he had it in him.   Completely different tone.

I got the exact opposite. I have seen worse but that was a shit response to a real issue. Couple that speech with the shit at the Senate committee earlier today and I have less optimism. We are going to lose a large amount of our olds. I hope not and I wish we were more aggressive/analytical in this deal. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away