Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Nevermind that payroll taxes is really the last source of funding for social security, and if you pull that the health outcomes for elderly folks at large looks significantly worse. 

The issue is that he didn't announce anything pertinent to individuals. Yes, the employers will be fine and they'll have extra liquidity on hand to provide benefits... But you and I both know businesses generally don't care about their workers if they're paying them near minimum wage. 

This doesn't help people specifically. He claimed our response is superior to Europe without ANY data to support his claim. We are flying blind but he's giving tax cuts for viral infectious care. 

I don't disagree he could have done so much more on several fronts especially as it comes to direct people toward information.  

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Last week is last week.  I bitched profusely in this thread during the 3/1 press conference.  I thought he should have said a lot of this then.  But would you have rather he doubled down on the bullshit he's been peddling for 2 weeks or start taking it seriously?  We're in a massively critical time for the country to flatten the curve out.   I was 50/50 this speech would be more peddling "it's just the flu" nonsense in a feeble attempt to calm the markets.  An oval office speech isn't the time to give a detailed federal "on the ground response".   Honestly the details weren't that important period. I think it's important that his tone changed so maybe 50% of the morons on this country start taking it a little more seriously.  

Yeah, but in the 12 minutes he spent about 7 minutes blaming China and Europe. Maybe he's just been such a crappy CIC that anything resembling mediocre looks good to some

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We had our chance(s) against this thing, and now its too late

im thinking mandatory 2 week quarantine for the entire country starting april 1st or so

Know how this has been handled, I bet they would announce this on April 1st

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well my wife is stuck visiting her family in Europe.  For at least another 30 days it seems.  I guess I'm gonna die of a fucking virus too.  God damn it. 

I will spend your money wisely and make sure your wife thinks I don't sexy time her as well as you did.  Just more often.  Pics and phone # of wife?  

23 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Yep.  Per the map below, if you could do time lapse over the next 10 days, you're going to see the US get dark in places like Italy is today.  In fact, you could probably look back 10-14 days what the number of cases in Italy was and derive a comparable per capita incidence and match it to a color in the US today.  That's where chunks of our country will be in that same short amount of time.

That map is great but 1/3 of Africa should be orange. 

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

I will spend your money wisely and make sure your wife thinks I don't sexy time her as well as you did.  Just more often.  Pics and phone # of wife?  

On w the special amex fairies who can supposedly get anything done.  I'm on hold...literally never been on hold when calling this number.  

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

That's impossible, posters have said warm weather kills it.

There was some hope with seemingly limted spread in the southern hemisphere. Probably just that there's a much greater exchange of people in the north and delayed testing. We're fucked for at least a year. This is going to have the impact of a world war.

Edited by horncyclist

There was some hope with seemingly limted spread in the southern hemisphere. Probably just that there's a much greater exchange of people in the north and delayed testing. We're fucked for at least a year. This is going to have the impact of a world war.

I’m afraid your analogy is not going to be far off.
I fear that this is going to get worse than we can imagine.

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These are all crazy moves but we need to stop the spread of the virus. Or at least slow it down to help the healthcare industry handle the active cases.

the problem is that we can’t shut down everything because people need food, prescriptions, etc. 

What?  Yes we can.  No school no work for everyone.  You moron monster!  

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

On w the special amex fairies who can supposedly get anything done.  I'm on hold...literally never been on hold when calling this number.  

amex and diners are going to be worthless

call the airline - they are the only ones that can help

and i would wait until 7am to call; the group of rez agents that can handle international is 10% of the total for any of the international carriers.  it's going to take the airlines overnight to ramp up and get the full contingent of agents back in the active pool.

and if you can (and i know you can) buy her a 1-way ticket from Heathrow to anywhere in the us or canada for as soon as she can get to london.  trains are still running in europe including the chunnel.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Corona spins in reverse

Depends on which way you squeeze the lime.  But we are fine.  I watched the press conference this evening, all is well.  It's pretty much winding down already.  

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Nevermind that payroll taxes is really the last source of funding for social security, and if you pull that the health outcomes for elderly folks at large looks significantly worse. 

No way they cut taxes and benefits.  Any payroll tax cut will just be a cut, they would be crazy to touch benefits.

It just means the "trust fund", aka T-bills the social security admin owns, will run out sooner and screw someone around 2035.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Like 1

yeah i am thinking by now like 10% of us on here have it, just showing no symptoms. seems to just be killing the olds something fierce. at this point i would really just get concerned for your parents if they are old and have any existing conditions

imma hit up the lika stor

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away