Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

13 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I know health comes first but I can help but think of the likely long term economic impacts from this. There are a lot of balance sheets that are going to be really fucked up for a while.

I've been on the more pessimistic side of the aisle on this from the beginning, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think things ever go back to the way they were.

I'm not saying this is the apocalypse, or expecting Mad Max, and who knows just what changes, and how much, but it will never be the same when all the dust settles IMO.

I believe 2020 will be a year written about in the history books as a major turn of events in the world's history.

I know, I know.  I'm probably blowing it all out of proportion.

Edited by Somnio

Whole shitload of johnny come lately’s on the past 10 pages or so

looks like today was the day everyone finally took this seriously. 

Happening in real life. I boned up on the research (much of it posted here) long time ago and tried to warn friends and family and many were just blowing me off. Looks like tonight blew the lid off this thing as far as headlines. Still, many will ignore warnings unfortunately.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Happening in real life. I boned up on the research (much of it posted here) long time ago and tried to warn friends and family and many were just blowing me off. Looks like tonight blew the lid off this thing as far as headlines. Still, many will ignore warnings unfortunately.

Very sexy post

Edited by Digdogger
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

I’ll include myself in that group. Shit got real today.

I have the ability to work from home. Today I made it known that I'll see everyone when this is all over. I'm thinking one more trip to HEB and then it's quarantine time. 

Which leads me to the practical conclusion that it is already everywhere.  How many 14 day “incubations” are necessary to make everyone realize that it is a really bad flu.  I guess the standard now is global commerce shuts down every Oct?

Is it really that hard to grasp that a huge wave of patients can and will overwhelm hospitals?
  • Like 2

Same here. I was close to bailing on a domestic trip 2 weeks ago. Stocked up on food 10 days ago and just today it was people saying, "Have you heard about Coronavirus? It's crazy?"

In addition to the regular prepping, people need to get their minds in the right place. Don't sweat the little stuff, keep an even keel through it all. Because as soon as you get emotional, you make bad decisions.

Just now, Somnio said:

I've been on the more pessimistic side of the aisle on this from the beginning, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't things ever go back to the way they were.

I'm not saying this is the apocalypse, or expecting Mad Max, and who knows just what changes, and how much, but it will never be the same when all the dust settles IMO.

I believe 2020 will be a year written about in the history books as a major turn of events in the world's history.

I know, I know.  I'm probably blowing it all out of proportion.

I’ve been saying for a few years that we’ve entered a new Dark Age. I was referring mainly to the disdain for science, rejection of objectivity, and rise in superstition and magical thinking. But a plague just really completes the outfit. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Crowd boo’d when pels game cancellation was announced in the arena. 

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

This years census is gonna be fucked up because of the virus...

Why?  Everybody should be home.  Should make it easier to get an accurate count.  That said, I wouldn’t want to be the muthafucka knocking on doors.

6 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

This has been me. I felt like Lisa Simpson trying to warn the morons of Springfield about some coming cataclysm.  A few people got it, but damned if most weren’t too blinded by the normalcy bias.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if China thought the 2nd wave was going to be worse, why did they just send the italians a metric fuckton of stuff?

Because they are not going to test for it and let people die from "non-specific pneumonia" while claiming that the great communist system put a stop to it in March.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

They cancelled basketball and Tom Hanks got it. If you want to get America's attention, there you go. 

This. All we needed was Hanks or Meryl Streep getting thins thing to wake people the fuck up.

Today really seemed like Day 1 for America because of everything that happened. I just hope we aren’t too late.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They cancelled basketball and Tom Hanks got it. If you want to get America's attention, there you go. 

Yup. Seeing public figures (an NBA starter and famous actor) come down with it is a massive wake up call for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This. All we needed was Hanks or Meryl Streep getting thins thing to wake people the fuck up.

Today really seemed like Day 1 for America because of everything that happened. I just hope we aren’t too late.

I don't think it's too late. What is happening was going to happen. We actually got lucky that things didn't blow up sooner. 

I’ve been saying for a few years that we’ve entered a new Dark Age. I was referring mainly to the disdain for science, rejection of objectivity, and rise in superstition and magical thinking. But a plague just really completes the outfit. 

I fucking hate how accurate this is.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

Based on the people I have on Facebook, we are fucked no matter what the government does. The number of “this is bullshit” and “when did we become weak and listen to media hysteria” posts is nauseating.

That sounds like a problem that’s gonna sort itself real soon...

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

We had a positive test in the town i live in Ohio. As of it isn't already bad enough I live in Ohio.  They sent my kids home with all their books today.  They are about to cancel school I fear. How in the fuck can I work with 3 kids ar home?  I'd rather have the Corona.

Have your wife set up her cam in the other room?

(too soon?)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

We had a positive test in the town i live in Ohio. As if it isn't already bad enough I live in Ohio.  They sent my kids home with all their books today.  They are about to cancel school I fear. How in the fuck can I work with 3 kids ar home?  I'd rather have the Corona.

I’ve had both my 2.5yr olds the past week and a half and I’m barely hanging on

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

Yes but it going down 20% and being shut down would be much more damaging than just waiting it out until Monday.

You can't just turn the stock market off. People will continue to speculate after hours. As soon as it reopens everything will correct.

4 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

We had a positive test in the town i live in Ohio. As if it isn't already bad enough I live in Ohio.  They sent my kids home with all their books today.  They are about to cancel school I fear. How in the fuck can I work with 3 kids ar home?  I'd rather have the Corona.

Put them to work tilling and planting survival crops in the backyard.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away