Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

That guy is a loon, and he provides no documentation for this tweet.

agreed, and people are giving SOME additional data in his responses but nothing concrete. looks like he combined data and ran with it?

then there is this in the replies?

6 minutes ago, APMP said:

Yeah mine are still day care age (2 and 4) so a little bit different. The day care doesn't actually close for spring break. But I am keeping them home today and by the end of the day may decide to just do that for the next few days/weeks. Wife and I are lucky enough to have flexibility to work from home most days. I haven't figured out how it's going to work yet.

I think most folks are about to receive a lot of leniency from employers, hopefully it works out for you.

I WFH the vast majority of the time, I really only go into the office for face-to-face meetings for a few hours per month and that's by choice, since I like getting face time with my peers and executives.  But my company announced 100% WFH for all who can, as of last Monday, through 3/24.  I expect that will be extended, ultimately, probably to mid-April or beyond.  Anyway, I'll be able to watch the kids if they're homebound, with relative ease, since they're in 4th and 6th grade.  Biggest problem for them will be sheer boredom.

6 hours ago, boknowstecmo said:

Just don't pay the hospital bill. What could go wrong?! 

And I'm sure the landlords in this wonderful, giving country will be very lax about not receiving payments from half their tenants. . 

If half my tenants stopped paying suddenly I’d lose my homes in about 2-3 months to foreclosure. But it will be those greedy, not wonderful landlords faults when they have to evict people so they don’t lose the homes/buildings that supply them with the money they need to buy food and pay their own mortgage? 

• Like 3

Columbus is building a coronavirus triage center at the Ohio state fairgrounds.  The major cities in Ohio now have drive through coronavirus testing. The Cleveland Clinic will soon have an expedited test available.  Ohio State was one of the first major universities to cancel classes.  The governor of Ohio issued an order prohibiting mass gatherings, including all indoor sporting events.

Ohio of all places appears to be relatively proactive so far and its actions underscore the need for state and local governments to take the lead on this.  Relying on the feds is clearly a waste of precious time.

Yeah Governor DeWine has been getting after it.

ETA

That mass gathering ban shut down the NCAA playoff games scheduled in the State. He did that before the NCAA did their own ban.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Man, who would’ve thought Idaho, Maine, West Virginia and Alabama were cleanest seated in the country

They have it.  They probably just don't have the kits to test for it or they are waiting for results.  This thing is in all 50 states--guaranteed.

I'm worried about those in Puerto Rico. 

Just now, Pancho said:

They have it.  They probably just don't have the kits to test for it or they are waiting for results.  This thing is in all 50 states--guaranteed.

Unquestionably.

I'm sure that this article has been posted, probably multiple times but it is a must read imo:

http://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

When it comes to a crisis - the people in this country (and in most of the world) can be pretty wonderful and giving.  I’m hoping for a “we’re all in this together” moment, but we shall see.  

How giving were we when the housing market melted down a decade ago? lmao.  

A look inside the suburban hospital in Kirkland, Wash., where 15 coronavirus patients have died.

Unlike at any other hospital in the United States, the staff members at the hospital in Kirkland, Wash., have faced the brunt of the rapidly escalating coronavirus outbreak. So far, 65 people who have come through the hospital have tested positive for the virus, a number that grows by the day. Fifteen of them have died, mostly residents of a nearby nursing home devastated by the illness and half the nation’s death toll.

Before the virus arrived, the hospital had only about 15 negative-airflow rooms, which allow the flow of air to be directed inward so that contaminants do not spill out and infect others. The building’s engineers have since made space for 58 patients in such rooms.

15 to 58 negative pressure rooms are a HUGE jump. kudos to them!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I just can't get over that our efforts are focused on closing borders and tax cuts at this point when the virus is already well established on our shores. 

If your house is on fire, you should focus on stopping that damage before you try to dig a fire trench or rebuild the burnt part. But we're more focused on calling it a foreign virus and sending incomplete and inaccurate information to the public. We could shut down all the borders and it would flatten the curve some I'd bet, but we're going to have a bad time either way and a shit load of people are going to be sick. 

Fucks sake this is such a fucking clown fiesta. 

EDIT: what's worse is that it was a prepared speech fully read off a teleprompter. So they meant to say what they said. And it was not accurate and has been "cleaned up" multiple times by multiple parties. 

To the people in charge, those are the only things the federal government is legitimately allowed to do.  With treasury bills yielding less than 1%, they are fighting paid sick leave in the face of hundreds of thousands if not millions of Americans dying from this disease over the next few months.  We could borrow essentially free money to save American lives, but what kind of lesson would that teach people?  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 2

We just need to get hospitals everything they need for this as fast as possible.  But other than asking China for their leftovers (like Italy did), I don’t know where we can procure any of that stuff, and it takes a long time to make it. I read an article that said it will take several weeks (and China coming back online) to get significant numbers of more masks. 

7 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

When it comes to a crisis - the people in this country (and in most of the world) can be pretty wonderful and giving.  I’m hoping for a “we’re all in this together” moment, but we shall see.  

The world you live in seems really nice.  I’ve never been there.  When people in my world feel threatened they, almost to a man, circle the wagons and let everything outside the circle burn.  

53 minutes ago, APMP said:

Anybody voluntarily pull their kids out of school yet?

We haven’t pulled our 3 year old out of daycare yet, but I’m trying to convince the wife that we need to make that call sooner rather than later so her mother can watch the kid. I don’t know what we’d do if we got the notice that the daycare is closing temporarily because someone tested positive. Probably try to self quarantine for two weeks somehow and then have the my MIL step in after that. 

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

seeing a report that we hit nearly 300 cases today.  I’ve got a feeling we’ll be at 500 new a day in a few days.  

Wait, so now you’re an optimist?

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

They're simply not going to pay their bills.  Rent, mortgage, credit cards, vehicle loans, will go unpaid.  They'll pay water and gas and electrical and mobile phone.  That's about it.

I'm already expecting to get minimal or zero payments from tenants at my rental properties over the next few months.  I've enough to cover that, but I'm certain many folks will stop paying mortgages.  How the lenders choose to handle that, will determine outcomes for a lot of people.

The thing I’ve been worried about for two months as I’ve followed this is pretty much unfolding. It’s not the death and the hospital bloat. Sure, that’s terrible shit and I don’t want to die or any of you to die, even those who have literally wished death on me before, not ironically including RollLeft who once told me he was going to murder me and fuck my wife. Still the greatest rep I ever received on Shaggy. Anyway, it’s the economics. 

Look, the dot.bomb bust and the The Great Recession were economic problems fueled by fraud. Wide open, unchecked fraud. You political honks can say what you want, but this current cycle isn’t fueled primarily by some big fraud. It’s downturn is being fueled by the monster at the end of our nightmares. Is that going to wind up being the monster under the bed kind of thing? Or the monster that robs you and murders you in the alley? That we don’t know. What we do know is that we will know between the next 2-8 weeks. And then? With uncertainty behind us, there will be a plan, and folks will start to recover. What does that mean? 

The banks, airlines, and other huge entities with access to congress will have bailouts. Same in Europe and Asia. I have zero doubt about this and while there will be a sacrificial lamb here or there, nothing will be on the scale of Lehman and that part of our world might actually jolt back forward. 

Deathcare, healthcare, content, delivery, advertising, virtual gathering facilitators, pharma, e-commerce, and many other digitally-oriented businesses are probably going to thrive. 

With low, low interest rates and no underlying hemorrhages waiting to unveil, home builders and their chain (contractors, title companies, etc) might bounce back in a big way too. 

MDU Reits will probably benefit if there isn’t some national mortgage relief. 

I’m sure energy will continue to be fucked by I am also sure there will be accelerated consolidation and bailouts to help big ones survive, should they need it and I doubt the big ones will.

So then we’re left with what was discussed and then hated on a few days ago. The hospitality industry is going to get fucking wrecked. Ticket companies, travel agencies, promoters, event centers, sports, sports equipment, hotels, car rentals, restaurants, gaming facilities, hair salon chains, movie theater chains, you name it. I think it is armageddon for those entities. Musicians banking on gigs and concerts for the lion’s share of their money have to be in deep shit too. Same for comedians.

Small businesses and early or underfunded start-ups, irrespective of industry besides healthcare and wellness, are probably in deep, deep shit. Freelancers trying to build books of businesses might benefit from the fallout, but this is going to be more ruthless than natural survival of the fittest. 

I think opportunistic layoffs and the last two paragraphs of groups are what we’re all going to feel in big, personal ways among our friends and families. I do think this represents the chance for the survivors in business to make a fuckton of money with less competition. Access to capital is going to be key. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bingo.  This aligns with the lack of CDC testing.  Someone posted way earlier in this thread 5 states that could not test internally, Bama, WV, and Maine were on that list IIRC.  Most of the test results that are being reported are state lab driven, not CDC.  

So just like the US Surgeon General did in Sunday, the Vice Oresident is refusing to talk about testing numbers, with promises that there will be a new organization or website to show all of the numbers, since he was called out on the CDC site showing numbers going down   

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/12/mike-pence-coronavirus-response-cdc-testing-sot-newday-vpx.cnn

But wait, there was a House briefing this morning, where they talked to the CDC folks.  We have some numbers!

Rep. Jan Schawkowsky said that they were told 7,300 tests have been conducted by the public sector and 3,800 tests by private labs.

“I think everyone leaving that briefing is feeling more confused than ever and disappointed in the numbers that we heard — that we really don’t have a system that tests are being distributed and tests are being given,” Schakowsky said

So in the 7-8 weeks that this virus has been officially acknowledged as being here in the US, we have basically tested half as many people as South Korea can test in a single day.  

“I don’t think anyone is going to leave that briefing satisfied with what’s going on with testing right now," Democrat Rep. Mike Quigley said. "Bottom line, you leave that briefing and we are not where we need to be and not sure when we are going to get there. We are flying blind.”

spacer.png

Yeah, Alabama has it.

Expect to hear of at least two confirmed cases by the weekend.

The state has only run like 20 tests total.

I’m sure Mississippi and the others still “clean” are in the same boat.

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Can they stay at sea for a month?  If so, that might be a great place to feel safe in 10 days or so. 

Navy is forcing all boats to stay at sea for 14 days after going into any port.  Its going to be hard for boats to go into many ports at this point, which sucks even worse for the squids.  Any navy guys on here?  Really curious what their quarantine protocols are on boats and subs.  Its not like they have a lot of places where they can isolate people.  

24 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

To the people in charge, those are the only things the federal government is legitimately allowed to do.  With treasury bills yielding less than 1%, they are fighting paid sick leave in the face of hundreds of thousands if not millions of Americans dying from this disease over the next few months.  We could borrow essentially free money to save American lives, but what kind of lesson would that teach people?  

What lesson will they learn if they're dead?

Also, ever think why treasury bonds are less than 1% yield? Definitely has nothing to do with propping up the market with huge stimulus through the tax cut which has left us with an empty tank when shit has actually hit the fan. 

But also, the fact that the feds can't get their messaging straight in a fucking prepared speech is concerning. The fact that on Monday, the president was saying "nothing will change" and then yesterday, the medical experts told us that our lives are going to be majorly disrupted is concerning. 

The feds can help coordinate national response and give some structure and consistency to how we deal with CV19. According to VP this morning they aren't even aggregating data nationally yet. 

How the fuck is that the case? This isn't new news. We're weeks behind the curve and I don't agree that the feds are doing everything they can. They haven't done shit to inform the public, they haven't led by example (constantly downplaying until yesterday, not cancelling large headcount events, etc), and they haven't even bothered to collect the data to begin to strategize how we most effectively use our limited resources. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Bingo.  This aligns with the lack of CDC testing.  Someone posted way earlier in this thread 5 states that could not test internally, Bama, WV, and Maine were on that list IIRC.  Most of the test results that are being reported are state lab driven, not CDC.  

There might be exceptions in certain areas, but the CDC is only confirming local lab testing now.  But all the tests currently being performed are the CDC tests.

Private tests weren't being developed because of an FDA preapproval process that has since been lifted.

The biggest source of delay in testing results is the time it takes to do viral culture tests.  It could be anywhere from 6-20 days from when your culture was collected to when coronavirus is confirmed.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

Currently debating with Mrs CL about whether to cut our spring break vacation short and go home today. We have been in South Padre for the past 4 days and have been planning all along to go to San Antonio today (Thursday) through the weekend in advance of the crowds of crazy college kids that will descend on this place tomorrow.

I'm of the mind that it's probably more responsible to just go home today and get ready to hunker down and limit our contact with other people. Her reasoning is that we might as well enjoy this week since there are going to be lots of changed plans in the future (like not going on our Princess Alaska cruise this summer). 

Can't believe we are the only ones having this kind of discussion right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Currently debating with Mrs CL about whether to cut our spring break vacation short and go home today. We have been in South Padre for the past 4 days and have been planning all along to go to San Antonio today (Thursday) through the weekend in advance of the crowds of crazy college kids that will descend on this place tomorrow.

I'm of the mind that it's probably more responsible to just go home today and get ready to hunker down and limit our contact with other people. Her reasoning is that we might as well enjoy this week since there are going to be lots of changed plans in the future (like not going on our Princess Alaska cruise this summer). 

Can't believe we are the only ones having this kind of discussion right now. 

You're definitely not.  I mentioned upthread (one day and probably 50 pages ago?) a friend who for spring break has been insisting on maintaing his plan of flying his family to California for Universal and Disney?  Well, now he's finally reconsidering.  But he still keeps asking "Why haven't Disney or Universal closed down?" And my reply is, because they will gladly take your money whether it's safe, or not.  Sounds like California is at least considering some large gathering bans, I'm curious how that would be applied to the theme parks.

Anyway, we're still steady on our spring break plans to go camping, but we won't be particularly close to anyone.

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Some guy’s Curbside pick up this morning at the Allandale H-E-B.

I guess he’s rather die from diabetes.

3bc9005c878bef5c0621e9c630514dac.jpg

Instacart woman in front of me yesterday at HEB was checking out yesterday with forty CASES of LeCroix and 24 cans of beans.  Nothing else in her carts.  

The cashier asked if it was for an office or church and she responded by saying it was being delivered to a residence.   

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Zinc lozenges/supplements do actually help to lessen the severity of symptoms. You'll still be infected, but it'll dial it back a notch

They don't help if they have citric acid, and you need at least 80-90 mg of zinc for it to be effective.

Since we are testing no one, it has been spreading for weeks unchecked. This shutting down stuff is good but too late, so I'm expecting Italy in a week or two once people start to develop symptoms. 

I'm not trying to spread the hysteria by any means. I just think it unlikely that without containment, social distancing, etc. the past month or so, that it hasn't spread to a large amount of people. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not testing was a good move and no one is going to the hospital actually helped not overwhelm the system, no panic cases went to the hospital, only the severe cases went to the hosipital. I think that is the best scenario we can hope for, just unlikely

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

If half my tenants stopped paying suddenly I’d lose my homes in about 2-3 months to foreclosure. But it will be those greedy, not wonderful landlords faults when they have to evict people so they don’t lose the homes/buildings that supply them with the money they need to buy food and pay their own mortgage? 

Sounds like you need to sell a property and get a little more liquid

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I haven’t heard this discussed but do y’all foresee a breakdown of law and order? We hypothetically get quarantined for longer than 2 weeks and riots probably will happen.

Nope.  People want to avoid each other in a pandemic and not kill gramaw.

Plus, we have YouTube, Netflix, Disney, etc., not to mention Facebook, a Amazon, etc.    Netflix will see streaming shoot through the roof.   

Not to mention a decent chunk of the country has went through rough patches that were more life-threatening (hurricanes, blizzards) and saw things like electricity interrupted for extended periods.   

The concern to me is the folks who are poor, and maybe put in a life-crushing situation as a result.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away