Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's SOP for utilities to keep replacements of critical equipment and parts sitting in storage. Someone would need to blow shit up a couple of times for a serious problem to occur.

This. In these situations its common for volunteer crews to lock themselves up for the duration of an emergency where they have living quarters, a kitchen and food supplies. I actually worked out of a newly built control room center for a couple of months that was used as a failover location. It felt like being in a very comfortable fallout shelter during the apocalypse.

Shit put a PS4, a lounge chair w umbrella outside, and a bad ass TV/internet connection and how do I sign up for this?

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve been flipping between CNN and Fox News. No CR. Fox has been talking all morning about the democratic races. Just laser focused on it. Very little about the markets and almost nothing about the virus except how the dem candidates are handling rallies and their advanced ages. 

I bring it up because it is important to understand that half the country that gets their news from this outlet absolutely do not have any sense or urgency or belief this is a big deal. This matters in regards to social distancing for everyone. 

I've been flipping between Fox New Channel and Fox Business News for the past 45 minutes.   Both have live stock ticker graphics on the screen.  Both are also covering all aspects of the virus:  stock market crash, interviewing doctors, discussing closures, sports shut downs, etc.

I must have been watching at a different time than you. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, B00M said:

Well who the fuck said you should go to restaurants?

I wouldn't eat at a restaurant anymore but you can still do take out/delivery service and just nuke it or heat it in the oven for a while before eating. Info I saw is this virus is the same at as any other in that greater than 157 degrees (I believe) food temp kills it. 

18 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Shit put a PS4, a lounge chair w umbrella outside, and a bad ass TV/internet connection and how do I sign up for this?

Actually it had excellent internet connectivity and a satellite feed with more big screen TVs than a sports bar. This place even had a really nice patio with tables and umbrellas outside (no wifi). The only issue was it was caged in and you would get locked in the patio until someone showed up to unlock the patio door. I found that out the hard way when it started to rain. The locks were actually a problem, we would get locked in rooms pretty often while they were still tweaking the system. Shit, I got locked in the kitchen a couple of times because you could badge in but not badge out.

9 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Btw. I sell software to hospitals. My year is so fucked.

At least I can still go to the Rodeo in Houston.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

pga will cancel as soon as a few players test positive.  i sell to hospitals too...but medical supplies so we'll see.

I sell computer systems to huge corporations.  Business is booming as those huge corporations attempt to move enormous portions of their workforce from on-site, to work-from-home solutions.  Not just the laptops and monitors and peripherals, but increased servers and storage to support that large increase of capacity for their networks.

I don't have tickets to Rodeo Houston so I guess I can't go.  But I'm definitely looking forward to a couple of prime showcases at SXSW.

• Like 1

FWIW, my daughter had her 1 year checkup with a Dr today who happens to be head of their (large North Dallas practice) Covid response.  He had a couple of things I found interesting although it was basically confirmation of what I assumed:  1. He (and others in his position locally) are getting most of their info from reputable sources on the internet.  Basically nobody knows shit.  If you have internet access and ability to filter out nonsense you know as much as they do.  2.  Dallas isn't testing for shit.  The criteria is ridiculous (Fever + respiratory issues + recent travel to known region, or known contact with a positive, or basically all Covid symptoms + essentially needing to go into ICU).  Supposedly criteria getting loosened soon as tests become available but they have been hearing that all week.  He doesn't anticipate ever getting access to tests for pediatric practice given it doesn't seem to impact kids (unless that starts changing), but downside (nationwide) is we really have no data as to how it's spreading among children, benefit of closing schools, etc. (it's assumed but unconfirmed).   Finally, he said anecdotally from what he's hearing he thinks is already relatively widespread around North Texas. Basically said "what's going to happen is going to happen at this point".   More testing may help slow the spread just from raising the alarm locally but (to CTJ's and others point) we're past the point of really limiting this from testing and being able to track down contacts, etc.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

In a Facebook post today, the Austin Chronicle alluded to a citywide quarantine that may be coming.  Was this just an ill-advised comment or has anyone heard shit about this?

Yeah probably shitty comment.  More like a ban on large gatherings, and no exemptions.   There’s no way they could lock down Austin or any other large city that is so spread out.   

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I sell computer systems to huge corporations.  Business is booming as those huge corporations attempt to move enormous portions of their workforce from on-site, to work-from-home solutions.  Not just the laptops and monitors and peripherals, but increased servers and storage to support that large increase of capacity for their networks.

I don't have tickets to Rodeo Houston so I guess I can't go.  But I'm definitely looking forward to a couple of prime showcases at SXSW.

I'm in hydraulics.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Some studies popping up that suggest their is a link to the use of ACE inhibitors and increased fatality. This could be because most people with cardiopulmonary comorbidities are on an ACE inhibitor. Either way here is the article.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-2

Somewhere earlier in this leviathan of a thread I believe there was a series of posts saying almost the exact opposite.  

I take an ARB so this issue is somewhat of interest to me. 

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Fuck yes.

I edited my post because I don't have any real faith in that account and I would have thought it would have been more widely reported by now.  Sorry

It does make sense that he would have it in the Rick Scott context.

Edited by Loco

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Somewhere earlier in this leviathan of a thread I believe there was a series of posts saying almost the exact opposite.  

I take an ARB so this issue is somewhat of interest to me. 

I'm telling those close to me it depends on the dose and the blood pressure without the medication. Is there an immediate benefit from being on the ARB/ACE, or is it being use for long term benefits of cardio and renal protection. If it is the later, a lower dose, I'm suggesting they stop the medication temporarily.

My mom had a fall back in January and is at a nursing care facility so she can rehab. They just called me to say they are going on lockdown. They do not have any cases but are going with an abundance of caution approach which I am fully in favor of. We can have stuff delivered to her but they will not allow any non-staff/essential personnel into the facility. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

As many may know, I am a Christian, but some of the things I hear on Christian radio from pastors and other self proclaimed holy men amaze me.

I didn't catch his name, but this pastor or whatever he was, was talking on the radio saying how he would never shut down his church or refuse to hold worship services because of the pandemic.  Being a Christian is hard enough without lunatics like this talking just to hear their head roar. He spoke of how Christians should have faith and know that everything is in God's hands.  

It is true God said to have faith, but I've yet to find it in the Bible where he told everyone to be stupid.

End rant

Who gave Iconoclast Texan an a radio show? Did the pastor mention anything about switching addictions/crutches from dick and meth to religious zealotry?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

I've been flipping between Fox New Channel and Fox Business News for the past 45 minutes.   Both have live stock ticker graphics on the screen.  Both are also covering all aspects of the virus:  stock market crash, interviewing doctors, discussing closures, sports shut downs, etc.

I must have been watching at a different time than you. 

It was several times this AM, once around 9 am, and the next time around 11, fwiw

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Who gave Iconoclast Texan an a radio show? Did the pastor mention anything about switching addictions/crutches from dick and meth to religious zealotry?

Beats me, lol  Icono didn't do himself any favors telling those stories that's for sure.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away