Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'm talking building a brick and morter hospital in 2 weeks. China can do that because their building codes are lax compared to the US. Could we clear that red tape to make it happen? I guess. Should we? Don't know. I'm definitely into repurposing existing structures to become field hospitals. That's the best path forward. 

All you need is a unified goal of "we need structures where we can treat people."  Option 1 is finding existing, available structures.  Many cities have these - convention centers, etc.  Option 2 is implementing temporary structures, like tent hospitals.  The military absolutely has the capability (also, they may have their own facilities -- empty a building or two at Mabry and get it done).  Option 3 is constructing facilities from scratch.  Metal building contractors can likely do so -- there are plenty of locations which existing concrete slabs/parking lots where you can do that.

Put me in charge in Austin, and I can come up with a 500 bed facility in 48 hours.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Some studies popping up that suggest their is a link to the use of ACE inhibitors and increased fatality. This could be because most people with cardiopulmonary comorbidities are on an ACE inhibitor. Either way here is the article.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m810/rr-2

Well this is terrifying - shaggy docs, should I rotate to something other than lisinopril?

Colorado filling the void for their citizens.

Colorado's first drive-up COVID-19 testing facility opens in Denver, is free of charge

DENVER – Colorado’s first drive-up testing facility for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) opened Wednesday in Denver’s Lowry neighborhood and saw several dozen vehicles in line after it opened.

The drive-up facility, located at 8100 E. Lowry Blvd. in Denver, will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, and next week’s schedule will be posted on the state’s website once the schedule is decided.

Wait times at the facility on Thursday were 3-4 hours, according to the Colorado Department of Health and Environment, which advised people to bring food and water because of the long waits.

Gov. Jared Polis announced Tuesday that the facility would be opening so the state can try to test more people for the virus and said the state hoped to open more facilities soon, including one in the High Country to test people in Colorado’s mountain towns.

Pitkin County officials on Thursday announced it had opened a testing facility at the Aspen Volunteer Fire Department's Aspen Village location. The facility was open to the vulnerable population only, who have been screened by the county's coronavirus hotline.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/coronavirus/colorados-first-drive-up-covid-19-testing-facility-opens-in-denver-is-free-of-charge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Everytime someone posts about zinc dosages and other DIY antivirals.

spacer.png

An acquaintance from high school keeps posting disinformation that the virus goes away by taking vitamin C and then getting huffy when FB takes down her posts. Also she’s an anti vaxxer with 3 kids

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Colorado filling the void for their citizens.

Colorado's first drive-up COVID-19 testing facility opens in Denver, is free of charge

DENVER – Colorado’s first drive-up testing facility for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) opened Wednesday in Denver’s Lowry neighborhood and saw several dozen vehicles in line after it opened.

The drive-up facility, located at 8100 E. Lowry Blvd. in Denver, will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, and next week’s schedule will be posted on the state’s website once the schedule is decided.

Wait times at the facility on Thursday were 3-4 hours, according to the Colorado Department of Health and Environment, which advised people to bring food and water because of the long waits.

Gov. Jared Polis announced Tuesday that the facility would be opening so the state can try to test more people for the virus and said the state hoped to open more facilities soon, including one in the High Country to test people in Colorado’s mountain towns.

Pitkin County officials on Thursday announced it had opened a testing facility at the Aspen Volunteer Fire Department's Aspen Village location. The facility was open to the vulnerable population only, who have been screened by the county's coronavirus hotline.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/coronavirus/colorados-first-drive-up-covid-19-testing-facility-opens-in-denver-is-free-of-charge

Filling the void 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. 

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

An acquaintance from high school keeps posting disinformation that the virus goes away by taking vitamin C and then getting huffy when FB takes down her posts. Also she’s an anti vaxxer with 3 kids

She's not wrong. Vitamin C and Zinc both work, but must be administered rectally

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The thing that blows my mind about these people is that their distrust of medicine is followed up by recommending medieval alchemy. "Try a few drops of mercury and then chew some Ecuadorean tree bark for menstrual cramps."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve been flipping between CNN and Fox News. No CR. Fox has been talking all morning about the democratic races. Just laser focused on it. Very little about the markets and almost nothing about the virus except how the dem candidates are handling rallies and their advanced ages. 

I bring it up because it is important to understand that half the country that gets their news from this outlet absolutely do not have any sense or urgency or belief this is a big deal. This matters in regards to social distancing for everyone. 

I've noticed this interacting with people (via email or phone, fuck f2f). If I had a suspicion of their political leanings, they make it clear as day when we discuss CV. It's really disheartening. I turned on rush Limbaugh for a few about 2 minutes yesterday hoping he was educating people... He was STILL ranting that this was a political scheme to hurt Trump, and the only reason people care is to bring down Trump's economy. YESTERDAY. AFTER ALL THE NEWS OUT OF MILAN. 

Edited by B00M

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Okay - I am drawing a line in the sand. Any political posters will have their content moderated for a week. That means we approve your posts everywhere before they go live. I am busy as fuck and that basically means you will have a 5-8 hour delay on your responses.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Okay - I am drawing a line in the sand. Any political posters will have their content moderated for a week. That means we approve your posts everywhere before they go live. I am busy as fuck and that basically means you will have a 5-8 hour delay on your responses.

Still the same rules?  I.e. no name drops / references to party?

Just now paid attention to this graphic that I've seen around:

ESsudjCXkAIFH3k?format=png&name=4096x409

Check out the vertical axis (case fatality rate). What a misleading graphical trick. The scale is logarithmic until 10% and then linear to 60%. Compresses COVID-19 down with the seasonal and swine flus and separates it from MERS, bird flu, etc. Although to be fair a pure linear would compress COVID-19 toward the bottom as well.

Either stick with logarithmic or linear. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Wow! So no Duke in the NCAA? Crazy to see all of this happening (right thing to do but just nuts) I was telling my oldest son this morning that if this tracks like head of CDC is saying (500k to 1M deaths) that this will be his generations 9/11. Travel bans, school closures etc

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All you need is a unified goal of "we need structures where we can treat people."  Option 1 is finding existing, available structures.  Many cities have these - convention centers, etc.  Option 2 is implementing temporary structures, like tent hospitals.  The military absolutely has the capability (also, they may have their own facilities -- empty a building or two at Mabry and get it done).  Option 3 is constructing facilities from scratch.  Metal building contractors can likely do so -- there are plenty of locations which existing concrete slabs/parking lots where you can do that.

Put me in charge in Austin, and I can come up with a 500 bed facility in 48 hours.

You or whole bunch of Jehovah's witnesses.  Those mf'ers can build huge halls in a single weekend.  They have it down to a science.  All free labor!  

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Wow! So no Duke in the NCAA? Crazy to see all of this happening (right thing to do but just nuts) I was telling my oldest son this morning that if this tracks like head of CDC is saying (500k to 1M deaths) that this will be his generations 9/11. Travel bans, school closures etc

You realize there isn't going to be a tournament? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

In 2009, 60 million American were infected with the Swine Flu and over 300,000 were hospitalized. Does anybody even remember Swine Flu? Me neither.

The highlight of this post is VicMackey staying right on brand and firing off some pos rep.  He's like Pavlov's dogs when he sees/hears/smells/reads "Swine". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away