Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

NCAA hadn't officially said that, just fans. Given that all NCAA cares about is $$, I was assuming that they would keep it going to make the TV $

Just no way after 2 NBA players confirmed with the virus.  All you need is 1 player get sick (who is potentially spreading it to teammates, opposing players, officials, etc.) and you have to shut down the whole thing anyways, so I don't know what they are waiting for at this point.

8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Wow! So no Duke in the NCAA? Crazy to see all of this happening (right thing to do but just nuts) I was telling my oldest son this morning that if this tracks like head of CDC is saying (500k to 1M deaths) that this will be his generations 9/11. Travel bans, school closures etc

So will we call the next generation the Coronials?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Just no way after 2 NBA players confirmed with the virus.  All you need is 1 player get sick (who is potentially spreading it to teammates, opposing players, officials, etc.) and you have to shut down the whole thing anyways, so I don't know what they are waiting for at this point.

Right. Now is the time. You’ll just be rolled into all the others taking precautions. 

I played hookey from work during lunch an made a run to my local HEB. It wasn't going nuts yet, but it had an air of nervous energy and shit about to pop off. Zero rice or dry beans on the shelves, less than half full shelves for pretty much every staple item, even had a hard time finding a fucking zucchini that wasn't all fucked up.

I'm loaded to bear for a couple weeks now, TP included. Buckle up buckaroos, it's gonna get rough over the next couple of weeks. And we can't trust the president to make things any better. His address last night was riddled with factual errors and incorrect information at a time when uncertainty reigns. Hope yall have plenty of good bourbon, a full pantry, and a decent internet connection to work from home if you can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I agree. Shit I think they should cancel domestic air travel (especially given as shown by that NYC fucktard that people are assholes) for at least 2 weeks and stream clean all plans etc

I have friends that are like "flights are cheap so instead of driving to ski we are now flying" It's like WTF why not take a cruise while you're at it?

Jeez

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I agree. Shit I think they should cancel domestic air travel (especially given as shown by that NYC fucktard that people are assholes) for at least 2 weeks and stream clean all plans etc

I have friends that are like "flights are cheap so instead of driving to ski we are now flying" It's like WTF why not take a cruise while you're at it?

Jeez

I hear Lombardy is nice this time of year. 

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I played hookey from work during lunch an made a run to my local HEB. It wasn't going nuts yet, but it had an air of nervous energy and shit about to pop off. Zero rice or dry beans on the shelves, less than half full shelves for pretty much every staple item, even had a hard time finding a fucking zucchini that wasn't all fucked up.

I'm loaded to bear for a couple weeks now, TP included. Buckle up buckaroos, it's gonna get rough over the next couple of weeks. And we can't trust the president to make things any better. His address last night was riddled with factual errors and incorrect information at a time when uncertainty reigns. Hope yall have plenty of good bourbon, a full pantry, and a decent internet connection to work from home if you can.

Ran to Whole Foods last night and bought a shit ton of dry beans and the last of the basmati rice. Spent the day stirring a double batch of red beans & rice.

Not sure I have enough tequila on hand though. 

16 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm wondering why Congress hasn't implemented their protocol for meeting remotely in an emergency.  There's continuity of govt. provisions for all kinds of disasters and war scenarios, I don't see a good reason for them to continue to work in the same room.  Reportedly 2/3rds of the Senate fall into the extra vulnerable category for CV.  Time to videoconference and vote remotely.

You dumb sonofabitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tailgate said:

My youngest just told me a lot of her friends are going to have to choose their college without visiting campuses. A lot of kids wait for senior spring apparently. Thankful we did our tour in the Fall of her Junior year.

Win for Aggie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

My youngest just told me a lot of her friends are going to have to choose their college without visiting campuses. A lot of kids wait for senior spring apparently. Thankful we did our tour in the Fall of her Junior year.

Wife’s sister and family are/were on a visit to UT this week for their youngest. The woman is convinced she is immune because she goes in and out of public schools all day. 

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Last night Fred Hoiberg left Nebraska's game after being visibly ill and was tested at a hospital. Apparently it's influenza A but it just shows that even people with coronavirus symptoms are reluctant to take the necessary steps for prevention.

The NCAA is a horrific organization so I assume they'll hold out as long as they can, but there's no way the tournament happens.

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Bright side of this is that maybe we diversify our supply chain now. 

Mexico has her legs spread wide for us and is ready. Multinationals cleaned up Vegas, NY commercial sanitation, etc. Mexico is too important to our needs to let it suffer with the narco bullshit terrorizing their cities. Increased manufacturing + declaring cartels terrorist/rebel organizations and their members shot on sight = new and improved supply chain maufacturing.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, immamac said:

Okay - I am drawing a line in the sand. Any political posters will have their content moderated for a week. That means we approve your posts everywhere before they go live. I am busy as fuck and that basically means you will have a 5-8 hour delay on your responses.

What's considered a political post?  Given that the government's (federal state) response to the virus goes hand in hand with the virus's extent and effect, it's virtually impossible to discuss the virus without discussing government action.  

• Like 1

Now that all the sports are getting canceled, what's to become of sports talk radio? The local guys are trying to figure out what they're going to be talking about for the next several weeks. Oddly enough, the morons who never played sports and run more of a morning zoo style show (in the afternoon) might be best positioned to continue programming. The former jocks whose best asset is being able to speak about sports with some expertise are going to be at a disadvantage. 

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

What's considered a political post?  Given that the government's (federal state) response to the virus goes hand in hand with the virus's extent and effect, it's virtually impossible to discuss the virus without discussing government action.  

That's it, you're on the list. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Now that all the sports are getting canceled, what's to become of sports talk radio? The local guys are trying to figure out what they're going to be talking about for the next several weeks. Oddly enough, the morons who never played sports and run more of a morning zoo style show (in the afternoon) might be best positioned to continue programming. The former jocks whose best asset is being able to speak about sports with some expertise are going to be at a disadvantage. 

3 weeks of Tawm Brady tawk? 

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Schools are shutting down all over the country, and my kid's school just sent a reminder about "crazy sock day" tomorrow.  

My wife said wants to know if its too soon to have a kid show up with little styrofoam balls painted like below sewn around the rim of the socks?

coronavirus-dark-1200x800.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

In my mind, there is no way this doesn't pave the way to political revolution in Iran.  The younger population was already frustrated with the conservative Muslim leadership, and this wave of deaths of presumably old conservative stalwarts will be the key that opens the door to a new, open, West-friendly Iran.

That's what I have been hoping for. I am hoping Khamenei dies. If he does, I am buying out a bar for the next surly Houston happy hour.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

luckily I listen to The Ticket and this makes things better

(but in reality you are going to get 100% more NFL talk - which nobody wants)

Edited by NoName

11 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Ha. College? There's not going to be college anymore. She and her friends will be put to work as manual laborers in the budding global rebellion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

school district just said all is well. no reason to do anything different. continuing UIL events. Only participants, families and essential personnel can be there. Oh, and no cancellations. Enjoy spring break...... 

So fucking glad my kid is almost done with this district. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They can talk about which athletes have the virus, how they are doing, what scheduling might look like when things return, free agency, concert calendar (lol), practice updates if there are any, lasting ramifications...

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What the hells going to be on ESPN?  Sportscenter in a week, checking in on sick players.

My wife, who is a teacher in Mansfield ISD, received an email stating district leadership is meeting tomorrow with Tarrant County Public Health to devise a plan moving forward. Should get ahead of it and just close schools for the foreseeable future. Thousands of students and staff locked in rooms together doesn’t sound like a recipe for flattening the curve. 

• Like 1

From one of my fraternity brothers whose a doc here in town. Friends with the doc who posted. Now I don’t know what they hey this all means but thought I’d share

Good COVID-19 update from our ID folks!

3/8/2020

Notes from the front lines:

I attended the Infectious Disease Association of California (IDAC) Northern California Winter Symposium on Saturday 3/7. In attendance were physicians from Santa Clara, San Francisco and Orange Counties who had all seen and cared for COVID-19 patients, both returning travelers and community-acquired cases. Also present was the Chief of ID for Providence hospitals, who has 2 affected Seattle hospitals under his jurisdiction. Erin Epson, CDPH director of Hospital Acquired Infections, was also there to give updates on how CDPH and CDC are handling exposed health care workers, among other things. Below are some of the key take-aways from their experiences.

1. The most common presentation was one week prodrome of myaglias, malaise, cough, low grade fevers gradually leading to more severe trouble breathing in the second week of illness. It is an average of 8 days to development of dyspnea and average 9 days to onset of pneumonia/pneumonitis. It is not like Influenza, which has a classically sudden onset. Fever was not very prominent in several cases. The most consistently present lab finding was lymphopenia (with either leukocytosis or leukopenia). The most consistent radiographic finding was bilateral interstitial/ground glass infiltrates. Aside from that, the other markers (CRP, PCT) were not as consistent.

2. Co-infection rate with other respiratory viruses like Influenza or RSV is 3. So far, there have been very few concurrent or subsequent bacterial infections, unlike Influenza where secondary bacterial infections are common and a large source of additional morbidity and mortality.

4. Patients with underlying cardiopulmonary disease seem to progress with variable rates to ARDS and acute respiratory failure requiring BiPAP then intubation. There may be a component of cardiomyopathy from direct viral infection as well. Intubation is considered “source control” equal to patient wearing a mask, greatly diminishing transmission risk. BiPAP is the opposite, and is an aerosol generating procedure and would require all going into the room to wear PAPRs.

5. To date, patients with severe disease are most all (excepting those whose families didn’t sign consent) getting Remdesivir from Gilead through compassionate use. However, the expectation is that avenue for getting the drug will likely close shortly. It will be expected that patients would have to enroll in either Gilead’s RCT (5 vs 10 days of Remdesivir) or the NIH’s “Adaptive” RCT (Remdesivir vs. Placebo). Others have tried Kaletra, but didn’t seem to be much benefit.

6. If our local MCHD lab ran out of test kits we could use Quest labs to test. Their test is 24-48 hour turn-around-time. Both Quest and ordering physician would be required to notify Public Health immediately with any positive results. Ordering physician would be responsible for coordinating with the Health Department regarding isolation. Presumably, this would only affect inpatients though since we (CHOMP) have decided not to collect specimens ordered by outpatient physicians.

7. At facilities that had significant numbers of exposed healthcare workers they did allow those with low and moderate risk exposures to return to work well before 14 days. Only HCW with highest risk exposures were excluded for almost the full 14 days (I think 9 days). After return to work, all wore surgical masks while at work until the 14 days period expired. All had temperature check and interview with employee health prior to start of work, also only until the end of the 14 days. Obviously, only asymptomatic individuals were allowed back.

8. Symptom onset is between 2-9 days post-exposure with median of 5 days. This is from a very large Chinese cohort.

9. Patients can shed RNA from 1-4 weeks after symptom resolution, but it is unknown if the presence of RNA equals presence of infectious virus. For now, COVID-19 patients are “cleared” of isolation once they have 2 consecutive negative RNA tests collected >24 hours apart.

10. All suggested ramping up alternatives to face-to-face visits, tetemedicine, “car visits”, telephone consultation hotlines.

11. Sutter and other larger hospital systems are using a variety of alternative respiratory triage at the Emergency Departments.

12. Health Departments (CDPH and OCHD) state the Airborne Infection Isolation Room (AIIR) is the least important of all the suggested measures to reduce exposure. Contact and droplet isolation in a regular room is likely to be just as effective. One heavily affected hospital in San Jose area is placing all “undifferentiated pneumonia” patients not meeting criteria for COVID testing in contact+droplet isolation for 2-3 days while seeing how they respond to empiric treatment and awaiting additional results.

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away