Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

Have a friend that works at medical city in Dallas and he's hearing we're on the verge of a mandatory national month long shutdown, essentially what's happening in Italy right now

Trump has this at the top of his tweets tonight.  It’s the Irish leader, but still odd that he’d retweet it.  Usually he has a reason to retweet stuff   

I mean nothing would actually surprise me if things go south quickly but anything he's "hearing" is speculation just like at any other office right now.  I don't think someone at medical city has a direct line to Trump or Pence.
But haven't things already gone south quickly? Disney is closed, March madness is canceled, every current major sporting season and tournament is canceled, cruises and flights are shut down, whatever concert you were waiting for is canceled. There is no precedent for this and most of this has happened in the last few days so a month long quarantine isn't a stretch at all. I hope it is just speculation and doesn't come to fruition but I tend to side with the friend

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean nothing would actually surprise me if things go south quickly but anything he's "hearing" is speculation just like at any other office right now.  I don't think someone at medical city has a direct line to Trump or Pence.

We won’t go that far, well we will shut down a lot, including schools in many states.  

I’ve talked to a lot of parents at my kid’s school who are medical professionals (we have multiple hospitals within a very short distance), and they are all grim about this, and have been for a few weeks.   Their big concern is lack of beds, PPE, ventilation equipment, and the fact that the hospitalized remain in the hospitals for so long.   That whole flattening the curve thing is basically the difference between life and death for a lot of folks.   

• Like 1

I’d also add that even if you think the pro sports stuff is being panicky to protect their assets (players) and customers, the universities have generally smart people who think it’s worth taking a large financial hit to extend spring break and/or shut down.   UT leadership didn’t do this on a whim - they probably talked to a helluva lot of leaders within the UT medical community.  

1 minute ago, NateHitch said:
6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

But haven't things already gone south quickly? Disney is closed, March madness is canceled, every current major sporting season and tournament is canceled, cruises and flights are shut down, whatever concert you were waiting for is canceled. There is no precedent for this and most of this has happened in the last few days so a month long quarantine isn't a stretch at all. I hope it is just speculation and doesn't come to fruition but I tend to side with the friend

I mean what is a "month long quarantine" at the federal level?  What does that actually mean?  And how would someone local in Dallas have any insight with respect to that?  Any of those discussions would be taking place at the highest level of government.  Not at a Dallas hospital.   Look, nothing is going to surprise me at this point at all.  But I would guess we will probably see govt mandates at the local and state level first.

• Like 1

Hahahahahaha

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/ny-attorney-general-orders-alex-jones-to-stop-selling-coronavirus-cures.html

• New York Attorney General Letitia James said Thursday that her office has ordered InfoWar’s Alex Jones to immediately stop selling and marketing products as a “cure” or “treatment” for the coronavirus.
  • Jones has been selling toothpaste, creams and several other products that claim to treat or prevent and cure the coronavirus COVID-19.

New York Attorney General Letitia James said Thursday that her office has ordered InfoWar’s Alex Jones to immediately stop selling and marketing products as a “cure” or “treatment” for the coronavirus COVID-19. 

Jones has been selling toothpaste, dietary supplements, creams and several other products through his website that claim to treat or prevent and cure the coronavirus, according to a news release from James’ office. One of the products, a Superblue Toothpaste, claimed to kill “the whole SARS-corona family at point-blank range” and had approval from the U.S. government, according to the release. 

“As the coronavirus continues to pose serious risks to public health, Alex Jones has spewed outright lies and has profited off of New Yorkers’ anxieties,” James said. “Mr. Jones’ public platform has not only given him a microphone to shout inflammatory rhetoric, but his latest mistruths are incredibly dangerous and pose a serious threat to the public health of New Yorkers and individuals across the nation.”

Jones did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’d also add that even if you think the pro sports stuff is being panicky to protect their assets (players) and customers, the universities have generally smart people who think it’s worth taking a large financial hit to extend spring break and/or shut down.   UT leadership didn’t do this on a whim - they probably talked to a helluva lot of leaders within the UT medical community.  

Cancelling spring sports might be net neutral or even positive for a lot of schools depending on how much can be recouped, since they lose money. 

9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is what bottles my mind - why the hell are we not testing?  

just a bunch excuses as to why we haven’t.

Reading up on the Congressional hearings this morning, where testing was discussed, after hearing we have the top medical people in the world on this thing, was a beating.  

Not sure if we are still allowed to post videos of officials discussing it.  

Hahahahahaha
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/ny-attorney-general-orders-alex-jones-to-stop-selling-coronavirus-cures.html
  • New York Attorney General Letitia James said Thursday that her office has ordered InfoWar’s Alex Jones to immediately stop selling and marketing products as a “cure” or “treatment” for the coronavirus.
  • Jones has been selling toothpaste, creams and several other products that claim to treat or prevent and cure the coronavirus COVID-19.
New York Attorney General Letitia James said Thursday that her office has ordered InfoWar’s Alex Jones to immediately stop selling and marketing products as a “cure” or “treatment” for the coronavirus COVID-19. 
Jones has been selling toothpaste, dietary supplements, creams and several other products through his website that claim to treat or prevent and cure the coronavirus, according to a news release from James’ office. One of the products, a Superblue Toothpaste, claimed to kill “the whole SARS-corona family at point-blank range” and had approval from the U.S. government, according to the release. 
“As the coronavirus continues to pose serious risks to public health, Alex Jones has spewed outright lies and has profited off of New Yorkers’ anxieties,” James said. “Mr. Jones’ public platform has not only given him a microphone to shout inflammatory rhetoric, but his latest mistruths are incredibly dangerous and pose a serious threat to the public health of New Yorkers and individuals across the nation.”
Jones did not immediately respond to a request for comment. 

I'm all for free speech and I'm all for Alex Jones peddling whatever the fuck he wants to any dimwit that will buy it. If you're dumb enough to buy his shit then it's probably better you don't exist anyway. The real issue for me is someone else deciding for me what I should and shouldn't believe
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s among the tested.  Not counting those mild enough to stay home.  Plus, they are turning sick people away, who might otherwise live.    That should scare the hell out of the olds though.  

I’m not exactly thrilled about it.

The only logical explanation is the government knows the number of infected is a very scary number, and will cause mass hysteria so they do not want testing done.

Just hypothetically say there are already a million infected, and that's doubling every few days then what's the point of testing?

Or maybe it's just ineptitude.

• Like 1

Just now, Armybrat said:

I’m not exactly thrilled about it.

you need to be extra paranoid and vigilant. you will interact with plenty of folks during your day that show no signs and have it. if i was in your shoes i would be self quarantined with your food and booze man. good luck. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

It would not surprise me to see Abbott announce something similar to what they are doing in Ohio.

Any day now.  Our local school district seems to be treating this with all the wait and see attitude of a snow day.  The City (Tyler) announced a ban on large indoor gatherings earlier today, but the county and the state agency for which I work have been pretty well mum on the subject.  Not exactly the tip of the spear response for which I'd hoped, but about why I have come to expect.  Wife and I may just pull the kids from school next week (spring break this week).  Bet they won't officially miss more than a day or so before a handful of kids start going to the nurse for peppermints and they shut they whole thing down.

4 minutes ago, staboner said:

you need to be extra paranoid and vigilant. you will interact with plenty of folks during your day that show no signs and have it. if i was in your shoes i would be self quarantined with your food and booze man. good luck. 

Out of rep atm. 

6 minutes ago, Somnio said:

The only logical explanation is the government knows the number of infected is a very scary number, and will cause mass hysteria so they do not want testing done.

Just hypothetically say there are already a million infected, and that's doubling every few days then what's the point of testing?

Or maybe it's just ineptitude.

I thought it possibly could be a case of not wanting the numbers to look bad.  We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Oh, I know.   I'm in the "there are already thousands of undiagnosed/untested among us."

for sure. 

its funny how we process as humans. we must logically go through all the progressions we believe are right, instead of getting to the real crux of it. we all need to be home playing video games for like 2 weeks. thats it. just needs to happen and happen now. no questions asked. good luck to you my man. 

Edited by staboner

Ima stay at home guy anyway, but the wife insists on going to 7:30am Mass on Sundays. We are going to cut out HPpy Hours and restaurants. She will watch her DVR shows and I’ll surf Surly and xhamster.
The 7:30am mass has to go, at least for a while. Makes no sense whatsoever to cut out restaurants and happy hour but then go be in close proximity to people at mass. You're at risk just as much if she goes to mass and you stay home
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Fuuuuuck me. Zero sports. None at all. 

And for everyone trying to act like esports is going to boom because of this - all of the major esports stuff is over LAN - meaning face to face with crowds in arenas. 

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean what is a "month long quarantine" at the federal level?  What does that actually mean?  And how would someone local in Dallas have any insight with respect to that?  Any of those discussions would be taking place at the highest level of government.  Not at a Dallas hospital.   Look, nothing is going to surprise me at this point at all.  But I would guess we will probably see govt mandates at the local and state level first.

The “they are going to shut down everything and have checkpoints” crowd are way off.  We don’t have the military or law enforcement to do that.   Looking at FoxNews.com last night, there was even pushback against the President’s speech by more than a few of his supporters, so I see nothing to indicate the feds are going to do anything more than they are doing      

So far, the feds are very content to just let the locals do things as they see fit.  My guess is that they will publish more guidelines to  discourage large gatherings (and leave it up to the locals to decide whether to implement ithem) and try to provide financial support to those individuals and businesses that are impacted   

Many areas of the US, and private businesses (NBA, etc.) are already doing the things the feds would formally ask them to do  anyways - shutting down large events (rodeos, sports, SXSW, shutting down cruises, theme parks, etc.

Arguably, we are already approaching a reduction in 70-80% of social interaction, without any federal mandates.  Sporting and concert events canceled   Schools closing, people stocking up so they only have to go to the store once every few weeks, etc.

Hell, I know of half-a-dozen families, including my family, who have changed our spring break plans because of this   Or had their plans changed   And this thread is full of people who have changed plans or are thinking about it   

Of course, fights in the TP aisles may ramp the virus up.   People need to use bidets or The Three Seashells.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cancelling spring sports might be net neutral or even positive for a lot of schools depending on how much can be recouped, since they lose money. 

Except that they have already paid for all the coached and supplies. Not they just don't get the ticket income to help offset it

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away