Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Fuuuuuck me. Zero sports. None at all. 

And for everyone trying to act like esports is going to boom because of this - all of the major esports stuff is over LAN - meaning face to face with crowds in arenas. 

esports are canceled as well. 

9 minutes ago, NateHitch said:
12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:
Ima stay at home guy anyway, but the wife insists on going to 7:30am Mass on Sundays. We are going to cut out HPpy Hours and restaurants. She will watch her DVR shows and I’ll surf Surly and xhamster.

The 7:30am mass has to go, at least for a while. Makes no sense whatsoever to cut out restaurants and happy hour but then go be in close proximity to people at mass. You're at risk just as much if she goes to mass and you stay home

I know that.

Clearly this has been coming for a while now. Just wondering what news/numbers came out in the last 36 hours that sent all the closures into overdrive. Or is it just more research about how this spreads getting out to the masses?

I didn’t pay that much attention to it until I read one of the articles posted here yesterday. Went to the store and stocked up today. This shit it real, and it’s obvious. But why did so many people figure it out at once yesterday?

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

Clearly this has been coming for a while now. Just wondering what news/numbers came out in the last 36 hours that sent all the closures into overdrive. Or is it just more research about how this spreads getting out to the masses?

I didn’t pay that much attention to it until I read one of the articles posted here yesterday. Went to the store and stocked up today. This shit it real, and it’s obvious. But why did so many people figure it out at once yesterday?

NBA and Tom Hanks

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Arguably, we are already approaching a reduction in 70-80% of social interaction, without any federal mandates.  Sporting and concert events canceled   Schools closing, people stocking up so they only have to go to the store once every few weeks, etc.

That's why I feel a little better about things overall than a couple of days ago.  Can't put my finger on them but I've seen models of what happens to the infection curve when interactions are decreased by 25%, 50%, etc.  and it's pretty dramatic.   Hopefully as numbers rise people that aren't buying in finally do so and we can avoid total collapse of the healthcare system.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

That's why I feel a little better about things overall than a couple of days ago.  Can't put my finger on them but I've seen models of what happens to the infection curve when interactions are decreased by 25%, 50%, etc.  and it's pretty dramatic.   Hopefully as numbers rise people that aren't buying in finally do so and we can avoid total collapse of the healthcare system.

I mean Italy did nothing right until it was too late the last 7 days or so, until the gov't shut everything down 2 days ago?I think some soccer games went to no fans but that was it?

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yep.  There are many who are taking this thing seriously, and that will be a massive boost   

There will be a small percentage who have a “ride or die mentality” and try to live normally, but hopefully many people won’t interact with them.

I’m already seeing older relatives who blew it off (fake news, like the flu, etc,) perking up, and changing plans.   I’m thinking it was Tom Hanks and all of the sporting events closing down, but whatever, it’s happening.  

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I mean Italy did nothing right until it was too late the last 7 days or so, until the gov't shut everything down 2 days ago?I think some soccer games went to no fans but that was it?

Right.  I feel like Italy didn't start making big moves until the Lombardy hospitals started to get overwhelmed so maybe we're a bit ahead.  Of course, my buddy told me driving through uptown dallas last night that it was business as usual at bars and restaurants so I guess we'll see.   

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

And like I told someone on Facebook tonight, we’ve done all of this crazy shit to stop it and if we succeed in stopping it, those that thought it was no big deal will say see it was no big deal why did we do all these crazy things. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

The world has agreed that "flattening the curve" by social distancing may slow it down enough so hospitals are not overwhelmed - making it more treatable. 

We should all be doing our part to help with that effort. 

Much thanks should be given to those who helped make that message simple and effective - including New Zealand's national treasure - Dr. Siouxsie Wiles. Here is the latest simple graphic:

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

And like I told someone on Facebook tonight, we’ve done all of this crazy shit to stop it and if we succeed in stopping it, those that thought it was no big deal will say see it was no big deal why did we do all these crazy things. 

That sounds like a Facebook post

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree. I have a sliver of hope.
Of course, I also see plenty of people yammering about how this is media hype and a hoax. So maybe not.

Plenty of them have a herd mentality of some sort, no matter how contrarian they may act.  Seeing shit empty out in stores, seeing people like Rita Wilson and her husband getting it, seeing pretty much all pro and college sports shut down.  

These things are going to lodge in their heads.    May take a day or two or four  to coalesce into thoughts of “okay, this is something I should be concerned about.”

And when that testing dam breaks and we start  seeing 500-1000 cases a day, you’re going to see them go into full bunker mentality.  

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after will seem inadequate" -M. Leavitt

• Like 1

One thing I notice.  The places hit hard are very population dense.

For example, Milan's population density is 20k/sq mi, while the City of Dallas is 3900.  Seoul's is 42k.  Hong Kong's is less than Milan's.  Wuhan's is closer to Dallas'.

So maybe that bodes well for a slowed/reduced infection rate out here in the hinterlands now that we're doing some stuff.

46 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

I'm all for free speech and I'm all for Alex Jones peddling whatever the fuck he wants to any dimwit that will buy it. If you're dumb enough to buy his shit then it's probably better you don't exist anyway. The real issue for me is someone else deciding for me what I should and shouldn't believe

There’s a serious reason why the FDA is strict about medications, supplemtals, etc..  Companies will sell shit that kills or harms people.

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Right.  I feel like Italy didn't start making big moves until the Lombardy hospitals started to get overwhelmed so maybe we're a bit ahead.  Of course, my buddy told me driving through uptown dallas last night that it was business as usual at bars and restaurants so I guess we'll see.   

Driving around SA tonight, there was a very noticeable decrease in the amount of cars in restaurant parking lots. Especially for a Thursday night.

47 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It would not surprise me to see Abbott announce something similar to what they are doing in Ohio.

Doubt it.  He’s been remarkably silent this whole time, or at least happy to defer to the feds.   Same with our Lt. Gov.   they seem happy to leave all of this up to the cities and counties.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Has any country with over 2000 (known) cases stopped the spread without quarantining?

its been here (known) for 2 weeks... has any country slowed it down after 2 weeks without quarantining? 

not being facetious, asking a serious question

South Korea has slowed it a ton by mostly testing. They’ve tested 250,000 people. We’ve tested 11,000. 

18 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Has any country with over 2000 (known) cases stopped the spread without quarantining?

its been here (known) for 2 weeks... has any country slowed it down after 2 weeks without quarantining? 

not being facetious, asking a serious question

Yes. Here is the science behind flattening the curve and social distancing  - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30567-5/fulltext

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away