Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Honest question, because I honestly don’t remember.  We had just had a child at this time, and not getting much sleep or watching much TV. 
Are these legit numbers for H1N1?

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.“

If so, was it just lack of heavy Facebook, social media presence, that people didn’t freak?  
Or were people freaking?

Any sports, festival concert or school cancellations?

Gotta be a shitty time to be pregnant right now. My sister in law is due in two months... potentially at a time when hospitals are overun by covid patients
I have two brothers whose wives are also due in the next few months. I told them to be thinking about a plan if the hospitals are a shit show. Can't even imagine being in that situation.

5 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Gotta be a shitty time to be pregnant right now. My sister in law is due in two months... potentially at a time when hospitals are overun by covid patients

My Sister is due in 2 weeks.  My wife is 11 weeks right now.  This shit has me beyond wits' end.  

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
6 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I have two brothers whose wives are also due in the next few months. I told them to be thinking about a plan if the hospitals are a shit show. Can't even imagine being in that situation.

Start reading up on home births.  The Dula is you!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Honest question, because I honestly don’t remember.  We had just had a child at this time, and not getting much sleep or watching much TV. 

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.“

If so, was it just lack of heavy Facebook, social media presence, that people didn’t freak?  
Or were people freaking?

Death rate was significantly lower than what we are seeing with COVID19 so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Or were people freaking?

Someone insert the math gif again. 

Swine flu had a fatality rate of 0.02%. Without preventative measures the coronavirus is 200x deadlier from what we know globally. It is 750x deadlier for the elderly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Something interesting that may come from all of this self quarantining (and something I thought about as a result of the lol thread) is that there is going to be a new generation of "boomers" in 9-11 months as a result of all the self quarantining.  There isn't much else to do other than drink and fuck.

Are these unmarried people having children? My wife forced us to start our own quarantine this week when our 5 and 8 yo started spring break. There has only been drinking so far, so pretty much no different than normal. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

If I were you, I’d be on my boat in a very remote area.

This was actually a plotline in The Last Man on Earth. Great show. Apparently very solid at predicting the end of the world as we know it, also.

22 minutes ago, heso said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all when you have dozens of stories of people that got flu like, tested negative for flu, and were told they couldn’t be tested for covid because they didn’t meet the criteria. 

OMG! This happened to me in the winter of 2018/2019. I might be patient zero and didn't know it! Get the fuck out of here with that shit. People get sick with flu-like symptoms every winter and don't wind up having the flu itself.

You dipshits have been running around saying this on this thread for weeks. Either there are a shit ton of people infected and it simply isn't very lethal, or it hasn't exploded yet and we're about to see real contagion and a run on the hospitals. Everyone is preparing for the latter because the former doesn't seem like a legitimate position. Are there more than have been formally diagnosed? Certainly. Is it 10x or 100x the number? Sure doesn't seem like it, given what we know happens when it begins to really impact a region. 

• Like 3

Both of my nephew's wives delivered at home with Dulas or whatever.  It seems odd to me but they didn't seem to have any problems.  So... there's that!

(and yes, the above is correct as it is written.  Two different women, both were his wife, but not at the same time.  ;) )

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife is always overbought on TP. We haven’t had to go out to try to hoard - this is what we have just in our bathroom cabinet:

56ceaa2a4c57b9d1fb52110b929ac460.jpg

Posted for your amusement, because we all need a damned chuckle.

I’ll sell anyone a roll for $20.

Our new apocalyptic plague paper currency will be counted in squares of TP.

• Like 1

You have to assume hospitals are keeping labor and delivery and infectious disease isolation areas/floors very separate.

And if it's any comfort, babies and pregnant ladies seem to fare very well with COVID19.  Very few reports of any severe disease in infants or newborns.  It isn't transmitted from mother to child through blood.

4 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Or were people freaking?

yes.  it may end up being similar to that.  swine affected both older and younger.  this one luckily seems to be affecting older.

the problem with this one is that with a lot of folks that are healthy the symptoms can be very mild so IMO a bunch of folks that have it/had it didn't even get tested or go to a doc.  swine seemed to be much more obvious(heavy symptoms) if you had it.

started in US in March didn't declare health emergency until April and then fed govt declared National Emergency in Nov.

nothing was really cancelled.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I make this statement knowing full well that there are far more serious and depressing things going on but...

it's kind of sad to log onto Surly and not even check the football, basketball, baseball, and other sports boards.  There's no point.

You should check out the JUGS machine thread....  some of that equipment is spectacular

• Like 2

You have to assume hospitals are keeping labor and delivery and infectious disease isolation areas/floors very separate.

And if it's any comfort, babies and pregnant ladies seem to fare very well with COVID19.  Very few reports of any severe disease in infants or newborns.  It isn't transmitted from mother to child through blood.
I knew kids seemed to have some sort of immunity, but I read early on that may be due to constant exposure to various coronavirus at school. Are we seeing the same with infants? I sure hope that holds true.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Visiting that Randalls or the Walgreens across the street significantly increases your chance of taking a weak elbow from an old while trying to line up to pay.  They don't leave their house other than to stop for food or drugs, and by god no one will get in their way!  

Yesterday there was a run on the adult diapers at Walgreens.  Had a lady with eight packs of them push past me to the front of the line.  I let it go.  She needed to get out there quicker than I did I suspect.

Well yea she was shitting her pants

I make this statement knowing full well that there are far more serious and depressing things going on but...
it's kind of sad to log onto Surly and not even check the football, basketball, baseball, and other sports boards.  There's no point.

These times suck but hopefully a learning experience for the country.

This time next yr I think most of us will be back to regular routine. Hopefully by summer and the curve is deemed flat, we can begin counting down to kickoff
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You dipshits have been running around saying this on this thread for weeks. Either there are a shit ton of people infected and it simply isn't very lethal, or it hasn't exploded yet and we're about to see real contagion and a run on the hospitals. Everyone is preparing for the latter because the former doesn't seem like a legitimate position. Are there more than have been formally diagnosed? Certainly. Is it 10x or 100x the number? Sure doesn't seem like it, given what we know happens when it begins to really impact a region. 

From what I've read it's basically settled at this point that the first case they can find is Mid-November.  It simply is just now starting to spread rapidly over here.

Edit.  That being said, I bet it is at least 10X the official number in Texas at least.

Edited by Skipper

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

These times suck but hopefully a learning experience for the country.

This time next yr I think most of us will be back to regular routine. Hopefully by summer and the curve is deemed flat, we can begin counting down to kickoff

About that...

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

From what I've read it's basically settled at this point that the first case they can find is Mid-November.  It simply is just now starting to spread rapidly over here.

And given the amount of international travel that occurs in and out of China, the virus was certainly present in North America much sooner than originally thought. 

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Our anesthesia group just got the call that the CDC has requisitioned some of our surgery centers to be used as hospitals. Currently pending admissions

get ready

1) Are you a male fucking nurse, Greg?

2) What the fuck is your post actually meant to imply? That the hospitals are already overloaded in Houston, so they're grabbing surgery centers with new patients coming in hot? Like in a movie?

3) Last night you posted a claim that Houston was going to effectively be put under martial law, by roughly lunchtime today. Is this new update coming from the same source? Or are you being trolled by several different doctors in your office?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Edit.  That being said, I bet it is at least 10X the official number in Texas at least.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

And given the amount of international travel that occurs in and out of China, the virus was certainly present in North America much sooner than originally thought. 

Okay, so then is the premise that this bug isn't nearly as lethal as the official numbers have been indicating?

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

Or were people freaking?

Correct. Swine flu was before the social media presence we have now. Everyone was not fully connected to the news/media 24.7 like now. There was unrest and it was talked about but nothing like now. And no fucking cancellation worldwide of sports and all these entertainment events. Don't think schools were cancelled. I was in college at the time and never missed a single class because of it.

This is a great social experiment. The hype and fear the media can cause and their ability to set off a chain reaction that impacts the world at the drop of a dime. Every fucking sports league known shut down. Any event shut down. Entertainment wiped away instantly. Just like that. Schools shut down just like that. This is the most ridiculous thing I have witnessed in my lifetime by far. Why doesn't the media report every single case of the flu and every other known virus/illness we have? People are so brainwashed they actually think having this virus means the end of life, mark of death, terminal illness. The media controls this world and has it by the balls. This proved it. There is no coming back. What will the media tell everyone to fear next? 

No one gave a damn in the past about any of it. Why? Because the media didn't drive it down their throats 24/7. This has taken over the world. What would happen if everyone just disconnected for even 2 whole days from the media world. Lived their lives. Washed their hands. Sanitized themselves. Tried to live a healthy life. You know, shit you should be doing everyday no matter what. Oh, that's right, life would be normal. No irrational fear. Nothing new would happen. Humans get sick.Spread shit. Get ill. Sometimes die from these illnesses. And no one bats an eye. But have the media slap a label on this virus, report every single little thing about it and here we were. Mass hysteria to the likes we have never seen.

Us humans like to believe we are the most intelligent species on Earth. We just proved we are nothing more than house dogs that can be trained and manipulated at the drop of a dime. It's just in a different manner than a dog. They are trained by having food waved in front of them. We are trained by the media being waved in front of us. Why doesn't the media report every single case and deaths of every single illness humans get and spread on a daily basis.

Also, this epidemic just proved how dirty us humans are. The fact that they are having to teach people and tell people to wash their hands, don't go out if you are sick, stay away from sick people, don't sneeze and cough in the open is extremely alarming. Was no one doing this before? Of course not. Which is why so many viruses and sickness spread on a daily basis on this planet. I now see people wiping down shopping cart handles before they use it. Wash their hands. I just have to laugh. Because you rarely ever see that shit before now. If us humans actually kept up with ourselves, the world would be much cleaner.

There is a huge difference in being cautious and fear mongering. If you are so afraid of this virus, then go ahead and bunker down and never leave the confines of your home for the rest of your life. Because the world is not going to be different and safer once this hype craze has passed. There is still going to be diseases, illness, viruses on people on a daily basis. Why was no one worried about those before? That's right. Media didn't report on it and tell them to panic and fear.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

2) What the fuck is your post actually meant to imply? That the hospitals are already overloaded in Houston, so they're grabbing surgery centers with new patients coming in hot? Like in a movie?

3) Last night you posted a claim that Houston was going to effectively be put under martial law, by roughly lunchtime today. Is this new update coming from the same source? Or are you being trolled by several different doctors in your office?

I don't know what's going on here, but this has to be a plot for 911 Lone Star and gay firefighters right? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:
34 minutes ago, heso said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all when you have dozens of stories of people that got flu like, tested negative for flu, and were told they couldn’t be tested for covid because they didn’t meet the criteria. 

OMG! This happened to me in the winter of 2018/2019. I might be patient zero and didn't know it! Get the fuck out of here with that shit. People get sick with flu-like symptoms every winter and don't wind up having the flu itself.

In this case, the dipshits were basing their statements on reported stories. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/coronavirus-testing-delays.html

Dr. Helen Y. Chu, an infectious disease expert in Seattle, knew that the United States did not have much time.

In late January, the first confirmed American case of the coronavirus had landed in her area. Critical questions needed answers: Had the man infected anyone else? Was the deadly virus already lurking in other communities and spreading?

As luck would have it, Dr. Chu had a way to monitor the region. For months, as part of a research project into the flu, she and a team of researchers had been collecting nasal swabs from residents experiencing symptoms throughout the Puget Sound region.

To repurpose the tests for monitoring the coronavirus, they would need the support of state and federal officials. But nearly everywhere Dr. Chu turned, officials repeatedly rejected the idea, interviews and emails show, even as weeks crawled by and outbreaks emerged in countries outside of China, where the infection began.

By Feb. 25, Dr. Chu and her colleagues could not bear to wait any longer. They began performing coronavirus tests, without government approval.

What came back confirmed their worst fear. They quickly had a positive test from a local teenager with no recent travel history. The coronavirus had already established itself on American soil without anybody realizing it.

“It must have been here this entire time,” Dr. Chu recalled thinking with dread. “It’s just everywhere already.”

In fact, officials would later discover through testing, the virus had already contributed to the deaths of two people, and it would go on to kill 20 more in the Seattle region over the following days.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/local/hospital-officials-say-states-first-coronavirus-patient-didnt-meet-criteria-for-testing/417-68b1e2f0-7710-48ad-97a1-470d31597e8f

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Officials with Harrision Memorial Health in Cynthiana, Kentucky say the state’s first coronavirus patient didn’t meet the criteria for testing.

Officials with the Kentucky Department of Public Health contacted the hospital after the patient was confirmed to have the coronavirus on Friday. The patient was recently treated at the hospital. 

Hospital officials said COVID-19 screenings have been in place since early January as mandated by the Centers for Disease Control. They say all patients at all points of entry are screened for the potential risk.

The patient had flu-like symptoms and didn’t meet KDPH’s health screening. The hospital treated the patient, but those symptoms never subsided. Further testing was conducted after the patient returned to the hospital.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, so then is the premise that this bug isn't nearly as lethal as the official numbers have been indicating?

I think your premise is right.  It's just getting started over here but spread is increasingly rapidly.   I would love to see current ER stats.   It's such bullshit we're all still flying blind.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pretty sure he’s an anesthesiologist. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This here.  We know how many are dying from COVID, but we have no clue how many people have it.  It's hard to get an accurate fatality rate without the denominator.

• Like 1

Everyone laughed at me when I started prepping a month ago. Everyone laughed at me when I bought a bidet. My neighbor laughed when he saw me hauling in 20 pound bags of dog food.
Who's laughing now, motherfuckers?

We are.
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Just treat this as an all encompassing game thread. With less histrionics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes.  it may end up being similar to that.  swine affected both older and younger.  this one luckily seems to be affecting older.

the problem with this one is that with a lot of folks that are healthy the symptoms can be very mild so IMO a bunch of folks that have it/had it didn't even get tested or go to a doc.  swine seemed to be much more obvious(heavy symptoms) if you had it.

started in US in March didn't declare health emergency until April and then fed govt declared National Emergency in Nov.

nothing was really cancelled.  

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Am I correct that San Antonio schools are on spring break this week and they're still planning to resume classes Monday?

True as of now.  But in typical fashion they'll wait until the absolute last minute to make a formal decision.  

My guess is they are waiting on a guarantee from the state (TEA) about waivers for school day requirements, contingency plans for the standardized tests, and a guarantee of state funding to pay salaries.  

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

True as of now.  But in typical fashion they'll wait until the absolute last minute to make a formal decision.  

My guess is they are waiting on a guarantee from the state (TEA) about waivers for school day requirements, contingency plans for the standardized tests, and a guarantee of state funding to pay salaries.  

This.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away